Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 11:45 AM
Default New door without texture : help !
Hi,
I've made a new door and the mask I've changed had 5 colors on it, with only one (the orange) visible with Alpha box ticked. So I keept 5 colors to my new mesh too and made the four color (red, green, blue and pink) transparent and in the game my door have no texture ; it's all white !!! so I decided to change the mask with only 4 colors because my door has only 4 recolorable's areas. So I made the 3 colors (red, green and blue) transparent and keept the orange visible but in this case, I saw only 2 areas with texture in game on frame and one door's part. So I changed the orange to pink but it's the same ...
I don't know what to do now ...
What's wrong with this mask ... How could I make it to see 4 colorable's areas on my door ?
I put some pics if you'd can help me ... (2 of my door in game with partly texture, my map, mask partly transparent and mask entirely visible, )
Screenshots

Créa Sims 3

If you find I'm talking strange, don't forget I'm frenchy ... ;o)
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 11:54 AM
You need to look at the alpha channel of the original file, not just at the colours (even though the colours will appear different where the alpha is different). The first 3 channels in-game are red, green, blue; the fourth is the alpha.

I can't really tell for your screenshots how the file was set up originally, but here's the way I'd do it: first paint the areas for channel 1, 2, 3 in red, green, blue respectively; then switch to the alpha channel, fill it with black, and paint the area for channel 4 white.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 3:17 PM
I use Paint.net for my images and it doesn't use Alpha Chanel. I only use a plugging "Apha Space" which seems to be similar ; il makes some colors (white or black) transparent. When I open my mask (made with this plugin) in The Gimp (which I have but do not know how to use !!! ) I see 4 channel (red, green, blue and Alpha) so I think my orange color is on Alpha channel.
Do you use The Gimp ? Could you explain to me how to do with Alpha Channel ? I'd like to try like you tald to me.
So I post the original Mask too, so you can see how it's made. And I don't understand why there is a pink color because there's no 5 colorable's area in game and when I compare mask and Multiplier (grayscale) the pink cover nothing !!! Should I keep it or not ?
It's the first time I don't understand a mask !!! and how to do whith it ...
Screenshots

Créa Sims 3

Inventor
#4 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:33 PM
Samelo22, I do not know Paint.net. But it can be done without making layers of your mask.
Look at it like this: Imaging a pile of see through paper sheets, looked upon from the top. One is called red layer, a green layer and a blue layer. They do not actually have those colours, but everything you make white on those layers, will show in that colour if you look at the pile from the top.

The mask you had original, looked like five colours, but the magenta and orange coloured parts are mixed colours.
The orange part is where there is a white part on the yellow layer and a white part on the red layer, but looked at from the top of the pile, the colours are mixed and show as orange.
You can paint with the exact same colour magenta right on top of your pile,(not sure about the orange, never seen that actually) to mark the region it will cover, same as you probable did previous when there where only the 3 pure colours on the mask.

Please keep in mind that this info comes from somebody that never totally understand Alphalayers, but masks can be painted like this without dissection? into layers, just make sure to use the exact same colour with your colourpicker tool.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 5:59 PM
Thank you Cocomama,
it's exactly what I make every time I make a mask... It's why I don't understand why it's does'nt work this time !!!
It's really frustrating !!! I tried all the possibility ans it's never Ok ; there's always a part or 2 which has no texture on it, not always de same part evidently !!!
I think I'll try to clone an other door !!! But I'll have to redo all joints and groups .... arghhh!!!

Créa Sims 3

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#6 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 7:07 PM
I think if your mask looks like this:

...the alpha of your mask should look like this:

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Inventor
#7 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 7:17 PM
Samelo22, maybe take a look at the mask tutorial from Daluved1 in the CAS tutorials section. She made some tutorials using paint.net and GIMP too. Maybe you find how to look at your alpha channel there, because I think Plasticbox and CMO are right, and you will have to change that alphachannel too.