Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 4:50 PM
Default Adding Materials in OBJD?
Hi everyone,

I`ve converted an object from TS2 (Dragonslave's Horse - only for personal use) and had no problem with the mesh itself - it shows up in game, I fixed the shininess and even managed to change the AlphaMaskThreshold so the mane and tell are working as they should.

But now I want to add the other recolours from the original object and I tried to do it the same way as the Multiple Painting Tutorial:
Open S3pe, open OBJD with Grid, go to Materials and click the little square at the right side.

The new window appears, but everytime I click the Add button I get an error message that roughly translates to "the object reference was not set to an object instance". (see Pic 1)

The object I cloned was the single hay bale and it doesn't have any materials to begin with (see Pic2).

Is there any way to add materials to this object?
Screenshots
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 8:57 PM
AFAIK, no. You might be better off finding a more compatible object (with a material) to clone.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 9:04 PM
Okay, thanks.
Thought maybe I wouldn't have to do it all over again, but oh well... It's not that much work.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 10:56 PM
Use TSRW modify an objects CASt-ability
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 11:52 PM
Thanks, Raven Shadow, but I don't have the TSRW and I've already redone it with another base object.

Which leads me to a new dilemma. This time I cloned the Town Clock and it has three material in the OBJD. And when I those three with the horse textures, everything works fine. But when I try to add a fourth material and put it in the game, the object doesn't show up at all.

Is there a trick to add more overlays to an object that already has several designs? Like with paintings?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#6 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:11 AM
My answer assumed you didn't have TSRW.

I've only been able to add materials using the newest S3pe, which is still in testing. It has a copy button, and you would just copy instead of add.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
#7 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:18 AM
I would love you forever if you got it to work and uploaded it!! :lovestruc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 8:27 AM Last edited by Gisu : 9th Feb 2010 at 8:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
My answer assumed you didn't have TSRW.

I've only been able to add materials using the newest S3pe, which is still in testing. It has a copy button, and you would just copy instead of add.

Well then, I've always wanted to be a guinea pig!

But seriously now, that's good to hear. I'll wait (hopefully patiently) until it's released. Or re-released - that was the version they reverted back to December 13th, wasn't it?

Anyway, Blackstallion, as soon as I get them working the way I want them to, I'll contact Dragonslave and get his/her permission to share them.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 8:35 AM
Gisu, just read the threads in the s3pi "QA" subforum. It's a completely open test anyone can use the test version. We just keep it seperate to emphasise that you have to be extra careful about testing things you make with the test version.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 8:42 AM
Yay, so I do get to be a guinea pig!

And I solemly swear not to whine if it borks my computer (which likely wouldn't be the fault of S3PE anyway - he's having his 6th birthday in a few months and you know how everyone gets more grumpy with age...)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 8:41 AM
I *do* want you to whine if something goes wrong, in case it needs fixing Well, you can point it out without actually whining preferably :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 9:15 AM Last edited by Gisu : 11th Feb 2010 at 12:35 AM.
Aye Aye, Captain! No whining, just status reports...

Will test the copy button now. I'll be back later to report if it was a success.

ETA: So I got the additional materials working. But there's a lot of them so it's gonna take some time. On the other hand, I can use this to experiment just how many new materials can be added to a single object, before it explodes.

Meanwhile, I have another problem. The texture of the mane comes out all blurry in the game and on the edges there is a small part that's still castable (Pic 1). Since the default colour for this part is set (by whatever the game does to set these) to a green pattern, when the horse is first placed, the mane looks like it's molting.

When you go into Cas, it gets a little better and sharper - and funnyly enough the castable part seems to shrink (Pic 2). You can then choose a colour similar to the mane colour and it looks fine, but it still becomes blurry again, when you leave Cas. Pic 3 is what the texture actually looks like outside the game.

Is there any way to get rid of the castable part? I've already set the Mask texture to be empty with a completely black alpha, but that doesn't get rid of that little edge...

And is there a trick to get the game to allow sharper textures? My graphic settings are on high, but my graphic card isn't exactly brandnew, so maybe the problem lies there, but the rest of the horse is sharp and clear. It's just the mane that's blurry.
Screenshots