Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:45 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 16th Mar 2012 at 5:58 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Snow appears under the area of hot-tubs, the floor below.
hello everyone, i just discovered the snow as shown in the pics below, it is on a community lot, the hot-tubs are from the BG. The hot-tubs are placed on a stage-foundation.

floor above:

floor below:

Thanks in advance
Screenshots
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:51 PM
That is probably normal.

Are you familiar with the layer cake illustration for TS2 floors? The grid is like layers in a cake, with every floor level as a separate layer. Traditionally, the layers cannot intersect each other, hence there would always be one tile grid space slope when making basements. Moo's GridAdjuster tool cuts through this limitation by editing the floor's elevation in way that the game would not allow, such as making no-slope basements where there is no transition between different floor elevations. The stage tool essentially does the same thing, adding a little wall to hide the difference. It is considered the same floor level despite being higher.

The sunken tub hides the floor/ground underneath its 9 square area so you won't see the floor/ground in the hut tub and the Sims clipping through it. The hot tub mesh is made such that you don't see that hole. Unfortunately, snow doesn't seem to care whether a floor tile is treated as "removed" or simply "hidden" and the snow falls through whether it's a stage or not (since it's the same floor level). At least, this has been my experience. I'm not sure if Sims react or not. I may be wrong about this.

You could try to make a dummy floor to "catch" the snow.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
That is probably normal.

Are you familiar with the layer cake illustration for TS2 floors? The grid is like layers in a cake, with every floor level as a separate layer. Traditionally, the layers cannot intersect each other, hence there would always be one tile grid space slope when making basements. Moo's GridAdjuster tool cuts through this limitation by editing the floor's elevation in way that the game would not allow, such as making no-slope basements where there is no transition between different floor elevations. The stage tool essentially does the same thing, adding a little wall to hide the difference. It is considered the same floor level despite being higher.

The sunken tub hides the floor/ground underneath its 9 square area so you won't see the floor/ground in the hut tub and the Sims clipping through it. The hot tub mesh is made such that you don't see that hole. Unfortunately, snow doesn't seem to care whether a floor tile is treated as "removed" or simply "hidden" and the snow falls through whether it's a stage or not (since it's the same floor level). At least, this has been my experience. I'm not sure if Sims react or not. I may be wrong about this.

You could try to make a dummy floor to "catch" the snow.

WOW! you turned my head around! *holds my spinning head to stop it*

What slope? What dummy floor? I understood the second paragraph, but the first caused the spinning.

Also, i remember reading somewhere that there is a similar issue with the bowling lane.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 8:02 PM
I apologize if I said more than what was necessary of if I wasn't clear. My point was that the use of the stage tool may not matter in this instance.

Regarding the slope, check out this house by lewjen, specifically the basement in this image. Look to the left of the wall on the left side of the basement. The ground slopes up for about a tile. This is the preservation of the "cake layer." Each floor level is like a layer of cake stacked on top of another. A bottom layer cannot go through another layer above; moving one up moves the layers above it up. The floor tile of the basement and the surrounding ground are at two elevations but on the same level ("cake layer"); the slope connects them. The game does not allow for sudden drop offs, like a cliff. There will always be transition (a slope) that connects squares of different elevations on the same level. Moo's tool edits the floor tiles beyond this limitation, allowing for holes (hence "no slope" basements). EA's stage tool also does this. It cuts the floor (disrupting the normal layer) and shifts it up to create a raised elevation without a transition slope. To hide the hole, the game automatically places the stage wall when you create a stage. The bottom line is that the game treats the stage area as if the floor was not raised. It is still the same floor level.

Regarding the dummy floor, my suggestion was to create another floor level in between the "inside" floor and the roof top balcony area. The snow would still fall through the hot tub, but it would be falling into an unused floor.

Right now you have:
[roof top area] (top floor)
[inside area] (bottom floor)

You would make:
[roof top area] (top floor)
[dummy floor level] (middle floor)
[inside area] (bottom floor)

You can use build cheats to lower the height of the dummy floor so that it doesn't make the building too tall.

Does that make more sense? Perhaps someone else can explain better than me....

Tumblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 9:23 PM
Or, more easily, i could just use awnings, you know, the one with the glass. But thankyou for the explanation, it helped alot. I'll see to it.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 9:33 PM
Heh, yeah, awning will work too. I tend to over-complicate things and today has been a weird day for me. It makes for a bad combination.

Tumblr