Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 2:54 AM
Default Tearjerkers
What scene from a movie/tv show never fails to get you all choked up?

For me, one such scene, is the bit in Disney's Pocahontas, it's the bit near the end, during the last(i think?) song of the movie, and she's running, and the bit where she's like "how loud are the drums of war?" and she's sorta half faded and all slowmo and you see the soldiers and stuff behind her.
The sound and visuals and context all together just make me well up :P

And again, another Disney movie, in Treasure Planet when Jim is bonding with Silver and the song is playing ("i'm still here (Jim's Theme)") and he's having flash backs and stuff. The song alone makes my eyes wet but when I hear it and watch the clips too, it just pours out.

I have more but I want to see other peoples first, maybe we share some :P
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 7:12 AM
Great topic! Yes, I remember crying through Pocahontas, but I don't really remember that song. So many of the "kids" movies are tear jerkers. It's somewhat hard to talk about the scenes without giving away the climax or the conclusion of the film, but I'll try.

These are just a couple that come to mind immediately:

I cry, every time, at the end of Homeward Bound, when the audience sits at the edge of their seats, wondering...will they return?

The Croods is a real tear jerker too, believe it or not. There are those scenes where Grug realizes he needs to let go of his daughter or when he expresses how much his family means to him that pull at my heart strings every time. Hard.

Don't get me started on How To Train Your Dragon, Toy Story, or Up.

Oh, and Babe - - - the scene where the farmer sings for the pig, who is ailing. It's also pretty funny.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 11:33 AM
Another one I have is from Orange is the New Black...

Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 6:32 PM
Honestly, the only scene to consistently do it for me is the scene at the end of Apollo 13, when Houston is desperately trying to reestablish contact with the capsule after reentry.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 6:36 PM
Bambi, when his mother gets shot. I watched it once around 15 years ago, never watched it again and can't physically bring myself to.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 6:41 PM
"You gotta get up"
- Simba
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSimoholic
"You gotta get up"
- Simba

Nooooooo!!!! Right in the feels!!!!
Scholar
#8 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 7:34 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 20th Oct 2015 at 7:45 PM.
There are scores of movie and tv scenes that have brought me to tears, (because I am a crybaby at sad scenes), but the only one I can bring to mind right now is -

when Fred died on Angel. The episode was called Shells. I didn't cry when she died. I cried during the epilogue.
It was a montage of Angel, Wes, Spike, and Lorne looking morose, etc, mixed in with scenes
of Fred's flight from her home in Texas. She was anticipating her new life in Los Angeles.

This song played in the background.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 8:20 PM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 20th Oct 2015 at 9:08 PM.
There's that scene in Saving Ryan, where he asks if it was worth it, if he had lived a good life and if he was a good man.

Oh, and speaking of another Whedonverse classic - Once More with Feeling, when Buffy sings her piece at the end "Give Me Something to Sing About" and the song Tara and Giles sing together about having to go. *Sniff*
#10 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 6:36 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 21st Oct 2015 at 6:52 AM.
What scene from a movie/tv show never fails to get you all choked up?

The little girl in the red coat in Schindler's List - because there is no one to save her.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 8:26 AM
That's too sad, Thran, not just for the little girl, but for all mankind.

How about when the caged mama elephant sings "Baby Mine" to little Dumbo?

Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 10:57 AM
Ow! These Buffy ones made me remember the only time I cried during Buffy!

When Anya went evil again (but I can't remember why, something to do with Xander I think)
And Buffy stabs her, and then it like, cuts to a flashback, but it's from the song episode, but it wasn't shown, and it's just Anya and she's singing about being happy about the wedding and can't wait to marry him. But that's not what got to me...

What made me cry, what that suddenly, mid singing, it cuts back to silence and showing Anya, dead, with a sword in her chest.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 11:09 AM
What made me cry, what that suddenly, mid singing, it cuts back to silence and showing Anya, dead, with a sword in her chest.

If I'm remembering that episode correctly, it was showing what could have happened and it played out various possibilities given the way things were currently going. And yes, Anya went back to her vengeance demon ways when Xander broke it off with her.
Scholar
#14 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 5:26 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 21st Oct 2015 at 5:37 PM.
What saddens me in a general way - every one of Angel's human friends died: Doyle; Cordy; Fred; Wes; and (soon to be dead) Gunn.

I mean, obviously, they would have died eventually - they're mortal. But in the space of just 5 years, he lost them all.

I read somewhere that Boreanaz and Carpenter kept crying in that one episode (You're Welcome) where she dies. They were both
thinking about how long Angel had actually known Cordy, and how far she'd come...apparently there were a lot of retakes.

Fred got me the worst, though, because of those last scenes of her preparing for Los Angeles. We all know she's going to end up in Pylea;
that she's going to meet the Angel Investigations team; and that (contrary to what she tells her mom) her life will never be dull.

I never actually watched Angel (or Buffy for that matter) on TV. I saw them all on DVD. As soon as the episode, Shells, was over,
I popped in season 2, and watched its last four episodes - their trip to Pylea and the introduction to Fred, and I cried some more.

@SuperSimholic

The only time I cried watching BTVS was those scenes when Buffy finds her mom dead on the couch. I think The Body was Whedon's best work on that show.
(And yes, I did like Hush and Once More with Feeling. But they were distant seconds to The Body , imo.)
Scholar
#15 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pizza
Bambi, when his mother gets shot. I watched it once around 15 years ago, never watched it again and can't physically bring myself to.

I never finished it. Its my first memory of being utterly bored. Just no. Later, when I was about 6, a friend wanted to watch it but all the others said no (scared they said, I obviously didn't understand that then). I told her that Banbi's mum got shot. My friend cried. Oops?

I'll always remember the bird scene in Night Mare on Elm Street. Again I was about 5 or 6, and I'd already seen the movies (downside to being the younger sibling). Even then they didn't scare me, probably cos I didn't really understand what was happening? Since then, I've seen the movies many times, yet that same bird scene us still the only one that makes me uncomfortable.

Due to the fact that I've never cried because of watching a movie, and can't remember the names of the movies that made feel sad, the amazing spoiler button will show you the "them feels" and the "my Glob's I need more!" moments instead.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
The only time I cried watching BTVS was those scenes when Buffy finds her mom dead on the couch. I think The Body
That was an amazing episode. It won awards and rightly so. Watching it now brings me immediately back to that empty and numbing sadness that I felt after the loss of my own parents. Everyone involved in that episode from the writers to the actors did a highly credible and moving job describing the sense of helplessness and grief in the face of such a loss.
Instructor
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
I never finished it. Its my first memory of being utterly bored. Just no. Later, when I was about 6, a friend wanted to watch it but all the others said no (scared they said, I obviously didn't understand that then). I told her that Banbi's mum got shot. My friend cried. Oops?

Oh how I wish it was my first memory of being bored unfortunately it's my first memory of being utterly distraught
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 5:04 PM
I'm yet to experience a tear jerker film but a particular song from star wars always make my dad tear up every time he listens to it.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Scholar
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 5:18 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 22nd Oct 2015 at 5:48 PM. Reason: misspellings hopefully fixed.
I can't help but see irony in the fact that the writers of Bambi were horrified with the idea of hunting deer,
but took the routine mistreatment of "domesticated" animals in stride. In fact, until organizations like PETA came along,
most people saw the mistreatment of future food as a fact of life.

Personally, I think hunting is much more humane than caging up animals, feeding them (intestinal-cramping) drugs,
branding them without anesthesia, cutting off their testicles, cutting off their beaks, boiling them alive....etc...all the crap we STILL allow
our cattle ranchers, hog farmers, and chicken farmers to do.

That makes me cry. I wish Disney would make a movie about THAT.

In all fairness, Disney may well be partly responsible for the slow-coming changes in attitude towards other animals. Jumbo and Bambi certainly got a lot of young children thinking on the subject, before they could be socialized into dismissing the souls of those poor animals.
Scholar
#20 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 8:21 PM
I've actually never cried during a movie but what got me the closest to crying was the scene in The Giver where at the end it's showing all the beauty and humanity of a full life, not a gray one.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 23rd Dec 2015 at 8:44 PM
I watch japnese animated series a lot, and let's say that tragic ones are my favourite. I thought I'd never cry after any other series as much as I cried for "Clannad"... but boy was I wrong. I recently watched "Your lie in april".

Let's say it's an artistic musical masterpiece of a tragic/romantic drama. That ending leaves me breathless.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Dec 2015 at 9:01 PM
I think to this day I've never managed to see the "baby of mine" Dumbo scene without a single tear (and I watched that movie a lot when I was a kid!)

Other than that I usually cry the first 2-3 times I see a sad, touchy-feely, or happy-cry scene in a movie. I'm completely unable to see such scenes for the first time without crying, even sometimes crying when nobody else does...
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 2:41 AM
There are plenty, but these are the couple that left an emotional scar on me for life:

- Hook's breaking speech to Peter Pan during their fight in the 2003 film. Watching Pan succumbing to Hook's words are too much to handle
- The two scenes from Return to Neverland this song plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvX...RHOqTfk3FJUSOsQ
- Dobby's death from Deathly Hallows Part 1
- Riley's first day of school in Inside Out. That part hits so close to home
- The ending of "To Hell... And Back" on Criminal Minds
- The closing scene of "Emily" on Shameless with this tear-inducing song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35pvu4Wzvg

Oh and who could forget the Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Mad Poster
#24 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thranduil Oropherion
The little girl in the red coat in Schindler's List - because there is no one to save her.

Schindler's list makes me cry all the way through. But the very end, when you see all those people, their children, and grandchildren, lining up to put stones on his grave. I'm crying now, just thinking about it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#25 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 8:00 AM
Hachi: A Dog's Tale