Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2007 at 2:11 PM Last edited by dj_rudderz : 9th Aug 2007 at 7:00 PM.
Custom Police Car - help wanted
Hi guys.

I want to create a custom police car for my project. what i want to do is use the BMW 5 series E60 that i downloaded and recolour it with the UK police car colours and add a light bar to the roof. i also then want to use it as the police car in the game as opposed to the standard game car. Is it possibe to achieve this and if so how? also, i have noticed that the cames police car's light bar is red, the UK ones are blue... how do i change the light colour?

Just to give you an idea of what im trying to achieve, heres an image

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/up...fic_car_bmw.jpg

My Myspace - www.myspace.com/dj_rudderz
My MSN - [email protected]
My Cell Number - Don't be daft, im not stupid!
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Aug 2007 at 12:22 AM
I can't see the picture , but I got what you mean.
The easiest way to replace any maxis object with a custom one is to clone the maxis object and NOT registering new GUIDs for it. If you downloaded an already made car, then you should replace the GUIDs in the various Object Data with the original ones, that are:

GUID - - - - - - -Object Data Name
0xAC0F4912 Car - Police Car - 0,0
0x0C384C14 Car - Police Car - 0,1
0x4C384C1A Car - Police Car - 0,2
0xCC384C20 Car - Police Car - 0,3
0x8C384C27 Car - Police Car - 0,4
0xCC0F4913 Car - Police Car - 0,5
0xEC384C33 Car - Police Car - 1,0
0x8D9AC673 Car - Police Car - 1,1
0xCD9AC67B Car - Police Car - 1,2
0x2D9AC683 Car - Police Car - 1,3
0x4D9AC689 Car - Police Car - 1,4
0x0C384C3C Car - Police Car - 1,5
0x6C384C44 Car - Police Car - 2,0
0xEC384C5C Car - Police Car - 2,1
0xCC384C63 Car - Police Car - 2,2
0x8C384C6B Car - Police Car - 2,3
0x4C384C73 Car - Police Car - 2,4
0xCC384C7A Car - Police Car - 2,5

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2007 at 2:02 AM
ok, i've saved this whole page...
Guids? huh? im new to modding, i can do textures for floors and walls an thats about it so far. this is my first major project. what is a GUID? youll have to explain im sorry..

is there a tutorial that explains what i need to do?

i've noticed aswell with the image, you may have to refresh it...

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Aug 2007 at 7:38 AM
Working on a car is one of the most advanced object mods you can do. If you actually intend to modify the shape of a car, then you need to start working on object meshing, and it will be a long SET of projects before you will be ready to tackle editing a car.

Walls and floors barely count as baby steps. Now go try object recoloring. Maybe you can find a car you can recolor, but many cars are only designed for 1 color on the whole car. If not, then start on object meshing. First project is a table. Very simple. Not animated. You'll have to keep working different projects to get up to the point you're ready to modify a car shape.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 4:17 AM Last edited by dj_rudderz : 11th Aug 2007 at 4:31 AM.
I get what your saying, crawl before i can walk, walk before i can run. And im trying to do a marathon at the moment. I guess these things take time...

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thank you for the help anyways everybody.

I had a go at doing it on my own as my first time on milkshape and uvmapper, i don't know if i did it right by chance or if its completely wrong. but i actually managed to get a ''box'' on the roof as the lightbar and get the mesh/map or whatever it is into the UVmapper and export the front, back, sides, top and bottom views into my Photoshop. looks ok but don't know if i've done it right and dont really know what i do now. im stuck. I'd upload an image if i knew how...

What i've done instead is set up a new Myspace picture folder on my profile for MTS2 goodies only.

The link to the picture i have is;

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...imageID=7876767

You may have to be a member though to see it because it asks you to sign in...

Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I can't see the picture , but I got what you mean.
The easiest way to replace any maxis object with a custom one is to clone the maxis object and NOT registering new GUIDs for it. If you downloaded an already made car, then you should replace the GUIDs in the various Object Data with the original ones, that are:

GUID - - - - - - -Object Data Name
0xAC0F4912 Car - Police Car - 0,0
0x0C384C14 Car - Police Car - 0,1
0x4C384C1A Car - Police Car - 0,2
0xCC384C20 Car - Police Car - 0,3
0x8C384C27 Car - Police Car - 0,4
0xCC0F4913 Car - Police Car - 0,5
0xEC384C33 Car - Police Car - 1,0
0x8D9AC673 Car - Police Car - 1,1
0xCD9AC67B Car - Police Car - 1,2
0x2D9AC683 Car - Police Car - 1,3
0x4D9AC689 Car - Police Car - 1,4
0x0C384C3C Car - Police Car - 1,5
0x6C384C44 Car - Police Car - 2,0
0xEC384C5C Car - Police Car - 2,1
0xCC384C63 Car - Police Car - 2,2
0x8C384C6B Car - Police Car - 2,3
0x4C384C73 Car - Police Car - 2,4
0xCC384C7A Car - Police Car - 2,5

I was thinking of attempting this too. I would like to replace all of the vehicles in the game at some point. And while I realize that I should and likely will start by cloning something smaller and less complicated to experiment with, I was wondering if replacing them all would have any adverse affect on the game? It just looks strange having a modern day school bus picking up children in my medieval neighborhood. If I used, for example, Hexameter's wagon and I replaced the guids on that with the one's for the school bus, do I lose any functions or interactions of the bus? Or does the game simply recognize a different mesh and apply those of the bus to it?

I'm not completely new to meshing, but I'm mediocre at best. I've never done anything with so many animations. What would be a good object to start with that would give me a better understanding of what happens when I clone the bus? Of course, if some Mod God was to do this before me, I wouldn't complain... :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 2:24 AM
The trick, when you want to create a replacement for a Maxis object, is to examine carefully how they are used by the sims; for example: where do children put their feet when climbing on and off? Where does the children go, inside the bus, before disappearing? If you create a carriage, you should then place the steps in the very sam position of the original one, and make the carriage long enough to allow the child to reach the disappearing spot (and you should create a covered part, so that no one will notice when the child disappears...).

I've never modified a bus, but I think it should be simpler than a car (only 1 door, no steering wheels...)

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 5:09 AM
What is a GUID? I did a computer course ages ago and i know a GUI is a graphica User Interface, is it the same thing?

How do i upload the picture?

The ModFather
retired moderator
#9 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 1:49 PM
"GUID" just means "Globally Unique ID", i.e. an ID that is unique in the entire world. When talking about the sims objects, the GUID is a 8-digit hexadecimal number that identifies an object, so that the game can't confuse it with any other object; if two objects have the same GUID, only one will appear in game.

Read about the GUIDS in this article.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Aug 2007 at 6:58 AM Last edited by dj_rudderz : 13th Aug 2007 at 7:12 AM.
Oh, ok, i've read that and understood it... kind of.

I got a map now in my photoshop... what do i do with it now? have i got to colour the whole thing in or is there an easier way?

The ModFather
retired moderator
#11 Old 13th Aug 2007 at 9:32 AM
I'm not sure what you mean with a "map": is it a texture extracted from an existing car, or is it a real map (i.e. a white square with the shape of the object drawn on it?
I suggest you to follow the general recolour tutorial (thus working on the texture extractedfrom the object), but you should find out by yourself what to do with PhotoShop, because there is no tutorial here at MTS2 for that. I can only say that you should change on the texture all the parts that you want to look different in game (so, for example, there's no need to recolour the part where the black tires are mapped...)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 8:03 AM
Excellent, i'll give it a go. I'll let you know how i get on...

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 8:21 AM
Ok, tried that, (well, was going to) i've hit an even bigger problem. On the images in the BMW's recolour files it has notes allover saying do not change or something. i was unaware of this when i started. did't read the small print. anyways i've revisited where i got it from and sent a PM to the creator (Bonus i think) explaining what i intended to do and what i didnt intend on doing, just waiting to hear back from him/her.

Now we play the waiting and hoping game......

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Aug 2007 at 12:55 PM
Ok, change of plan, im probably not going to get permission to recolour and mod the BMW, which is fair enough. So i decided to change the car to another i have downloaded which doesn't say anything about not modding or recolouring, just about reposting.

Heres a clue

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/im..._skoda-2003.JPG

Opinions anybody?

Scholar
#15 Old 16th Aug 2007 at 1:17 PM
If you want I can remake the skoda(was going to sooner or later) and make a police car version with a new mesh and texture so it'll be easier for you to work on?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 6:00 AM
Hey there fresh... again thanks for the downloads, your cars are amazing! as for everybody else aswell. the work on this site is awsome!

That would be great, i havn't really gotten to grips with milkshape and some of the terms used but im trying. if you could add the lightbar on the top that would be great. i'll have a go at the recolouring and see what i can come up with. 2 heads are better than 1. also aswell, i don't want to just sit back and let somebody else do the work, i don't like the idea of freeloading and ''hiring slaves to do the work''. yeah its great downloading other peoples efforts but theres no fun in it and i'd much preferre to give something back aswell.

Can somebody explain how i upload pictures please though so i can give some demo's on my texture skills... i'm just not quite sure yet on how i apply the same kind of work to meshes... im trying to learn.

That would be great anyways, if you can do it, please add me to windows messenger as i find it makes file transfer and communication easier whilst working on a project. My address is in my signature. (If this is allowed of course ) I will still use the forum for help, i won't leave everybody in the dark...

Thankyou again!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Aug 2007 at 12:11 PM
Ok, The new mesh is currently being made. im practicing my recolouring skills... im slowly getting the hang of it and getting used to simPE. it takes time. lots of time, time i actually dont have much of at the moment because of work.

Thanks guys for the help.