Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:48 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Crazy colors when I scroll away from the house
I bought and installed the sims3 today! First off I am not all too impressed. But anyway it seems to run really slow on my computer and I am not to sure why. But when I have a character in a house and I try to scroll away to a neighbor house or go to the map view I get this crazy amount of colors all over my screen, I can't even see anything. Once I go back to the house everything is ok. I am wondering why. Should I uninstall my sims2 stuff??
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:00 AM
that is usually something with your graphics card. Mine does it when it gets too over heated (which happend very quickly with this game) the individua lsims games have nothing to do with one another
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:04 AM
So what does that mean? What can I do about that? I don't know all the techy type terms and whatnot. Thanks
Theorist
#4 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 8:55 AM
Either your drivers are out of date or you need a completely new graphics card.

Based on my own experience with the game over the past couple of days, I would say anyone who is having trouble with their graphics card should be replacing it because it is way outdated. My own card is over four years old and is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel for system requirements but will still run the game easily on medium settings without over-heating and displays the game fairly well too.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:54 AM
Moved to Game Help.

Please post up your full system specs: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...lp:System_Specs

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#6 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missmo25
Should I uninstall my sims2 stuff??

Why? It would be pretty pointless, you need to remember it's completely different game and has nothing to do with Sims 3.

I suspect the problem might be your graphic card but it's hard to tell if we don't know your computer specifications. Have you checked whether your comp meets the requirements to run the game?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 12:19 PM
Everything meets the requirements. How do you go about getting a graphic card? I totally feel stupid not knowing the answer.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 12:19 PM
Please post up your system specs as asked.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 12:23 PM Last edited by whiterider : 4th Jun 2009 at 9:03 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 2589474, 2589486, 2590538
Maybe someone can point out a good graphics card to me?? Also how do I update the drivers??? Thanks so much for everyone's help!

==System==

•Operating System: Microsoft windows xp home edition (5.1 build 2600)
•Processor: IntelR core(TM)2CPU 6420 @2.13GHz (2 CPU's)
•Memory: 2038MB RAM
•Page File: 825 MB used 3014 available
•DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

==Display==

•Name: IntelR G965 express chipset family
•Manufacturer: intel corp
•Chip Type: IntelR GMA 3000
•Approx. Total Memory: 256.0 mb
•Main Driver: igxprd32.dll
•Version: 6.14.0010.4642 (eng)
==Sound==

•Name: sigma tel audio

Anyone??? This is almost traumatizing to me!! lol
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:02 PM
Your computer doesn't meet the requirements at all - you don't have a graphics card, just a sucky little chip on your motherboard. You can try turning down all your settings, and improving your cooling, but if you're getting such a severe issue... it probably won't help.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#11 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:12 PM
Processor is too slow and you don't have enough RAM. All that pales in comparison to terrible chipset (no real graphics card) you're trying to run the game with.

If it's a laptop, you're out of luck, as they normally are not upgradable.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:43 PM Last edited by whiterider : 4th Jun 2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 2590685, 2590872
This is a desktop. What do you suggest I do?? I really am completely dense when it comes to this stuff.
Thanks

Ok so I am going on the Dell site since that is where I bought my computer and have an account. Do I need a graphics card and is this something I can order and install myself? And I obviously need more RAM, how much more do I need and is this also something that can be bought and installed on my own??
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:25 PM
You should be able to buy a graphics card, yes; although check with Dell as some of their models require proprietary bits. Installing it yourself is doable - but I would suggest you ask a friend who knows their way round the inside of a computer to help you out.

If you do upgrade, make sure you buy one of the cards listed in italics here; or you'll just keep having the same issues.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:36 PM Last edited by missmo25 : 5th Jun 2009 at 12:06 AM.
Thanks whiterider!!
How much RAM do you suggest I get? 4GB? I am a photographer and musician so I have a LOT of stuff on my computer, plus all my games.

Also are video cards the same as graphics cards like that link shows that you put?

Sorry, I didn't realize.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:47 PM
Please use the edit button if you have something to add to your post!