Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 2:07 PM
If your object is too bright/light/shiny in the game the problem could be that you messed up the alpha on your Specular. Open the Specular and look at the alpha...it needs to be all black. If it's not all black then your object is going to get that shiny, almost glassy, appearance in the game. I'm not talking about the part of the Specular that shows the shadings in a brighter color. I'm talking about the Specular's alpha layer.

I've never made a counter so I'm not going to be much help to you in looking at what could be going wrong with the dishes. Until I've made a particular Sims 3 object myself I don't feel qualified to speak about it since often each object has its own particular quirks that you don't know about until you've made one yourself IMO.

This is why I suggested to you that you try with something basic that has no animations. Now it's difficult to sort out what are meshing mistakes you've made vs some other kind of mistake. I still think you should try an unanimated object first. If tables are too dull try making a painting or something.

This will allow you to successfully get something into the game and that is a foundation you can build on as you move into making more technically difficult things. Just my two cents.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#27 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 2:43 PM
I'm not sure I understand when you say "dishes cut off the front of the counter". Do you mean that the dish sits only halfway onto the counter with the other half hanging over? You might want to provide a pic, but it might be your mesh is an incorrect size.

The turning back to the cloned one sounds like you have either cloned the counter improperly or have not changed all meshes. Cloning counters needs to be done through modular cloning, if your using TSRW I have no clue. Although I don't believe it does corner counters correctly.

I agree with OM that counters are a bit advanced, it's not simply one mesh plus lod's and shadows, but 3-4 meshes plus each lod plus each shadows. I would recommend something a little less involved to understand the process. Like a table, then you could follow along with Ella's tutorial. Afterwards you would be able to apply the steps to other objects.
Test Subject
#28 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 4:04 AM
I fixed the dishes-bug, and some others. The main problem was, I cloned the object as normal, not as modular. After i solved this, everything was fine. Needed to modify 9 mlod and 3 modl file. Now im almost done, but something still wrong about specular.
From the other side, why i starting with a more comlicated item, insead of a table or painting, thats because, for expample:
If i want to learn, how can i make hamburger, but already can make hot-dogs. If i make hundreds of hot-dog, after that still cant make burgers
Screenshots
Alchemist
#29 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 11:22 AM
I can't tell from your picture what the issue is that you think might be being caused by the Specular. Is it that the whole object is still too bright? Or is it that shadows are showing where they shouldn't? Or some other issue?

The shadowmap also has something to do with brightness I think. If you've fixed the Specular alpha and the object is still too bright you might try darkening the greys on your shadowmap. Problems with the object's normals can cause odd creases on an object but looking at your picture it's hard to think you would have a normals issue in the middle of a rectangular plane.

Could you be more specific about what the issue is that you're having?

Lol...hotdogs and hamburgers...I guess that's one way of looking at it. Congrats to you for fixing the dishes issue.
Test Subject
#30 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 12:26 PM
I mean the shiny was nice, before i changed it with the new texture map ( like on the first picture). After i copied my shadow map over it, lightened up, and got like on picture 2. I think something about the alpha. when i open up the default specular with gimp, it got a black alpha layer, and white alpha channel, mine is got both with and i cant fix this
Screenshots
Alchemist
#31 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 11:53 PM
If your issue with the object is that it is too bright/shiny you need to turn your alpha so that it is solid black.

I'm not sure what you mean by the distinction black alpha layer and white alpha channel but I don't claim to be an alpha expert by any means. Perhaps someone else will come along that knows what you mean. If no one does perhaps post the Specular so someone can take a look at it. Other than that I'm out of ideas.
Test Subject
#32 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 8:10 AM
thanks for all your help, i just finished my first objects. Also thanks for ur glass tutorial, OM. Here are some pics
Alchemist
#33 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 3:59 PM
The set looks great JJ...I hope you're considering posting it to share somewhere...I think people would love it in their game.
Page 2 of 2