Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 1:52 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 30th Jun 2015 at 3:06 PM.
Default [Uploaded] Sim income spreadsheet
I wasn't going to post about this here, but it's such an odd upload that I sort of feel I have to get input before I upload it.

A while ago as I was getting ready to set up taxes for my game, I realized I wanted a better idea of what kind of money Sims actually make. I created a spreadsheet that listed the daily salary for all maxis careers, how many days of work per week, and what the weekly salary ended up being. A friend of mine helped me improve it using excel, adding charts to visually display how income is distributed in the Sim world. The idea was to get a better view of where to draw the line for different tax brackets.

I thought the result was rather neat, and that it may serve a purpose for more people than me. So I decided to improve on it and make it shareable.

I have created an excel spreadsheet, that lists all maxis careers, and has room for 20 custom careers. It lists daily salary and number of work days, and calculates what the weekly salary ends up being along with charts that display the distribution of weekly income by thousands. There is one summary for maxis salaries, custom salaries, and then one with all careers combined. Weekly salary and charts pull data from the rest, so any changes you make (or custom careers you add) will be displayed. I know some people use mods that alter the pay from maxis careers, so I wanted it to be editable and reflect changes one makes. I also thought it was important that one could add custom careers, since I know some people use a lot of them.

Thoughts? Input? Should I add teens/elder jobs as well? Any function you think is missing? Should I scrap the idea entirely?

Things I already know
- There is an empty line in the middle of the table. This is because I originally had careers listed by EP and left an empty line between BG and EP-careers. I'd have to remake the entire thing from scratch in order to remove it.
- Doesn't take promotions into account. In my game I've decided to ignore those in terms of taxes, because it'd be too much work. I can't figure out a way to display it in in this project that would make sense, so I have left it for now.

I got the data from wiki, but I have since manually cross-checked against the actual game since I know the wiki is not always correct on number of work days and exact salary.

Pictures (upload is down so I can't add them to the post)

Updates
Additional stuff added since this thread was created.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 2:11 PM
I think it would be useful - all that information used to be available on Snooty Sims but the pages for TS2 have disappeared I think. Also, this information is available on the SimsWiki - oh as you said. Good to have the information checked. Are you going to update the pages? I would add the teen/elder jobs myself.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 2:23 PM
Some of this info is on the wiki, but not all of it - we have the wages and the days per week, but no weekly calculations and no graphs. I think the stuff we have is also just for basegame careers, since it was intended as a guide for career modders who want to get their pay roughly in line with EA careers. So, more info is always better.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 2:34 PM
@maxon: I don't understand the wiki format, so no, I won't be updating the pages. I tried to back when I first discovered that the information is often incorrect, but I gave up. I have it all on screenshots, so if anyone who does understands wiki wants to go over it and fix the incorrect ones, I'd be happy to share.

And yeah, I know some of this info is on the wiki, but spread out over many pages and like I said, it's not always correct. I wanted it collected in one place, and with weekly salaries included.

Should I add teens/elder as tabs on the current excel sheet, or should I make a separate one?

Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I think it would be useful - all that information used to be available on Snooty Sims but the pages for TS2 have disappeared I think. Also, this information is available on the SimsWiki - oh as you said. Good to have the information checked. Are you going to update the pages? I would add the teen/elder jobs myself.

Its all still there but its hard to find http://www.snootysims.com/thesims2index.php?id=thesims2

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 3:23 PM
Here's what I have so far for teens/elder. I haven't cross-checked the data yet, but according to wiki all Maxis teen/elder jobs have 5 work days, so I left out that part for maxis jobs. I've checked at some random custom ones, and they have varying number of days, so I've added a column for that too under custom jobs.

I'll add chart-page later.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 4:42 PM
One relevant bit of info you've left out is a column after Lvl 10, for retirement income. The pension is lower than the Level 10 salary but higher than the Level 9 salary (I think), and knowing what will happen to your income at retirement is important for decision-making.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 4:55 PM
Excellent point, that should definitely be in there. I've not had many elder Sims so I haven't had much experience with retirement. How does it work exactly? I assume the retirement salary is different depending on what career level you retire from?

EDIT: Found some info on wiki
Quote:
In The Sims 2, an elder Sim who retires will receive a weekly pension that is half the weekly salary of the job he or she retired from. The Sim will receive one-seventh of that each day. This does not appear to be affected by the Skilled Negotiator aspiration benefit.

A retired Sim who takes a part-time job will keep his or her pension; the part-time job will be shown in a second tab on the job panel.

A Sim's pension stops when he or she dies, but will resume if he or she is resurrected.

It seems to me like it'd be best to add a tab for pension, with it's own table and charts. I'll get that sorted once I'm done adding graphs for teen/elder jobs.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 12:05 AM
No pictures this time, but I've added teens/elders, pensions and also pets.

Teens/elders shows daily salary, work days, weekly salary and charts
Pensions show weekly pension, daily pension and charts
Pets shows daily salary, work days, weekly salary, and I'll add charts tomorrow. Need to figure out the layout.

Can someone think of something I've missed? Any other input/feedback?