Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 2nd Jul 2006 at 8:41 PM
to turn the driveway you have to untile across the road right?
then replace the tile across the road to turn the driveway back.

it works for me
then-again i did mine alittle different, i changed something in the script for this to work.
and you dont need to delete the WHOLE opposite side of the road
just a the one tile in the corner (either one will work)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#27 Old 2nd Jul 2006 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kelpschinator
to turn the driveway you have to untile across the road right?
then replace the tile across the road to turn the driveway back.

it works for me
then-again i did mine alittle different, i changed something in the script for this to work.

What did you change? If there is an easier way to do this, I'm open for suggestions.

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Test Subject
#28 Old 2nd Jul 2006 at 10:03 PM Last edited by kelpschinator : 2nd Jul 2006 at 10:09 PM.
i think its basically the same thing, but i changed something, lemme try and find it though.
somebody asked me how i turned the driveway in my uploaded houses, and i found an AMAZING tutorial a while ago, but i can't find it anymore, it was not on MTS2 but i found it through here....

C:\ Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts
i'm pretty sure its on the of files in there
most likey the one called FloorPatters (this could be somewhat familiar to you if you installed fireplaces into your game) but the file is HUGE and i all did was delete a space or something close to that in the file... i wish i could find that tutorial again!

***EDIT***

some of my memory came back to me
go in the floor patters txt document
press Ctrl+f
seach sidewalk
the first thing to show up is what you change
Quote:
floorPattern "sidewalk"
material "floor_sidewalk"
#catalogTextIndex 48
subsort "poured"
surfaceType "cment"
#notInCatalog # hardcoded reference to this in the game engine

thats what mine looks like
and i think the change is adding a # somehwere
but i forget
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 8:01 PM
I tried the script edit and it works if I delete the entire row of paving on the opposite side of the road. Hope there are no negative side effects from the edit. I suggest backing up the file tho'.

Happy Simming

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Test Subject
#30 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 8:16 PM
still the entire row?
hrmm mines still not like that...
but it work for you
and not just in corner lots?
Field Researcher
#31 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 6:58 AM
still the entire row?
hrmm mines still not like that...
but it work for you
and not just in corner lots?

I was just reading your post here, and there is a question I want to put to you......Do you have to make a backup FIRST of this text file, and second, should we put the text file BACK after completing a sideways garage in this manner???

fev
Test Subject
#32 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 7:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shrekheatherbelle
I was just reading your post here, and there is a question I want to put to you......Do you have to make a backup FIRST of this text file, and second, should we put the text file BACK after completing a sideways garage in this manner???

fev

i HIGHLY suggest you make a back up file (i didn't of coarse, stupid me).
and putting the file back, well you can, but they you won't be able to the the sideways garages the same way

and i just want to say that you must understand the cardnal directions in the game. You can find it here.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 8:36 AM
i HIGHLY suggest you make a back up file (i didn't of coarse, stupid me).
and putting the file back, well you can, but they you won't be able to the the sideways garages the same way

and i just want to say that you must understand the cardnal directions in the game. You can find it here.

Already read that tutorial a fair while ago, and it was benificial to me in understanding how to make sideways garages and driveways.
I'm sure you should be able to get a copy of the original txt file. But of course there may be copyright issues there

fev
Test Subject
#34 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 10:58 AM
Default Oppps.
Here is a clean copy of the file ......

http://72.1.198.118/images/floorPatterns.rar

But my file reads the same as yours does and I did not do any modifing to the file

floorPattern "sidewalk"
#catalogTextIndex 48
subsort "poured"
surfaceType "cment"
notInCatalog # hardcoded reference to this in the game engine
Field Researcher
#35 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 12:22 PM
I Have noticed that both of you dont have an exyra space on the last line, just after the word....notInCatalog. I have compared both your txt files to mine, and I have an extra space like in this diagram....

And just out of interest here is my exact copy of my txt file....

floorPattern "sidewalk"
#catalogTextIndex 48
subsort "poured"
surfaceType "cment"
notInCatalog # hardcoded reference to this in the game engine

Showing the space between the word notInCatalog and the symbol #

More interesting every time lol

fev

Ok extra space solved I think, When I posted this reply, the extra space was there, then after reading it on here (the web) Mine is like both yours

fev

PS
By the way I never mess with these files in any way!
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 3:10 PM Last edited by kelpschinator : 4th Jul 2006 at 3:18 PM.
thank you so much for that, really should have saved a copy before
but yes it is different
in the tutorial i found that was all they wanted me to change, adding a numbersign before notinCatalog...etc.
the spaces don't mean anything

Bassnut, shrekheatherbelle, did either of you change the script?

do you think it made a difference in making sideways garages?

I noticed this tutorial is for mainly corner lots
Quote: Originally posted by eedgan
the lot must be on a corner plot

I never made a house with this tutorial, only the one i cant find anymore, and i only once created a sideways garge on a corner lot.

but is their really any difference?
Field Researcher
#37 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 4:11 PM
Nope...I have never changed this script!

Incidentally, Have you been able to place a home (or build one) directly opposite to a house with a sideways driveway or garage??
I have heard that by making a sideways garage etc, this can interfear with the lot directly opposite!!! Not sure if this is true or not. I dont get in there and sctually play with the sims much anymore (too busy creating instead), so was wondering if you or anyone else has?
An interesting experiment would be to make a home with eedgan's tutorial, then play in the lot opposite for a few days.
Then to alter the script file, create a house with sideways garage, then make a home opposite and play in that lot for a few days.
Replacing the altered script file with the original of course.
Maybee someone out there would be able to experiment with this then log & take screenshots of anything unususal!!!!

fev
Test Subject
#38 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 5:09 PM
No i haven't tried an opposite lot yet.
I thought about that too, very little.
but acutally i'm quite sure with the script change their is no effect.

When i found this tutorial i spoke about, it was meant to mimick "downtown" like city streets, for parking infront of the house.
The person who wrote it included pictures, and both sides of the street had many different duplex appartments (which i want to make, but their never seems to be enough time). So i'm guessing their is no effect, but i have no exact proof. On day i can give it a try, giving that i probally have a house done across the street. I think if i try this out, and if anybody thinks its any easier, i could make a full tutorial. though if i find the one i talk about, things would be much easier.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#39 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 11:14 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 4th Jul 2006 at 11:25 PM.
kelpschinator: not entirely sure what you mean by "if i find the one i talk about", but if you mean the tutorial, that's by JadeElliot and it's here:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1278.0

It also explains what the point is with the script change (you do that in order to make the pavement floor selectable, so that you can replace the untiled tile across the street with *exactly* the same kind of floor).

ETA: oh, and the script change is that you add the # in front of the word "notincatalog" -- you comment it out, in other words, so that the flooring in question will be in the catalog (selectable) henceforth.

This should not do any harm because it's easy to revert, BUT a backup is (or would have been) still an excellent idea, because with every patch or update the game checks for virginity of its config files, and if it detects any discrepancies in the file manupilation dates (i.e. if you save it after installation -- even if you didn't actually change anything in the file) it will barf. And then you have to uninstall and reinstall *everything* -> not fun. (been there, done that ...)

Err, I hope this is clear enough, I'm in a bit of a hurry, can clarify later if needed -> please ask! I mainly wanted to give you the link to the tutorial, I like it too

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#40 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 11:34 PM
I have heard that by making a sideways garage etc, this can interfear with the lot directly opposite!!!

I can confirm this. Ran into this problem recently -- hope i can solve it by placing the offended (second) lot elsewhere, do my driveways there, and then put it back.

What happened exactly was that I built a lot with rotated driveways, then built a second lot directly opposite, and on that second lot I was able to put down my driveways normally, but when I picked them up again to move them one tile to the left or right, they flipped sideways and I couldn't put them down again except by delete/undo or esc. This was driveways, not extensions (and moveobjects was off). Not sure whether or not I had saved the lot between putting down the driveway and trying to move it (might make a difference).

This has nothing to do with the script change I think, as the script change should only put the sidewalk flooring in the catalogue (= make it selectable), whether or not you ever use that flooring for anything.

Sorry for the doublepost =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#41 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 12:10 AM
AHH thats its!
thanks!!!
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
kelpschinator: not entirely sure what you mean by "if i find the one i talk about", but if you mean the tutorial, that's by JadeElliot and it's here:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1278.0

It also explains what the point is with the script change (you do that in order to make the pavement floor selectable, so that you can replace the untiled tile across the street with *exactly* the same kind of floor).

ETA: oh, and the script change is that you add the # in front of the word "notincatalog" -- you comment it out, in other words, so that the flooring in question will be in the catalog (selectable) henceforth.

This should not do any harm because it's easy to revert, BUT a backup is (or would have been) still an excellent idea, because with every patch or update the game checks for virginity of its config files, and if it detects any discrepancies in the file manupilation dates (i.e. if you save it after installation -- even if you didn't actually change anything in the file) it will barf. And then you have to uninstall and reinstall *everything* -> not fun. (been there, done that ...)

Err, I hope this is clear enough, I'm in a bit of a hurry, can clarify later if needed -> please ask! I mainly wanted to give you the link to the tutorial, I like it too

Thank you! I've been looking for this as well.

He wasn't always an EVIL monkey.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 4:01 AM
plasticbox I have been looking for that tutorial for a while! Read it ages ago but couldnt find it again! I havnt messed around with script files before, only for a fireplace a while ago now.
I will get 'game' one day and try lol

fev
Test Subject
#44 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 2:34 AM
I can't figure out how to rotate the driveway. IT won't let me to rotate.. is that I do something wrong? I need your help! thanks!! :-)
Field Researcher
#45 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vkbrown
I can't figure out how to rotate the driveway. IT won't let me to rotate.. is that I do something wrong? I need your help! thanks!! :-)

I think the easiest way to do a sideways garage for the first time, is not to change the scripting in the game!
Read the first post in this tutorial, with only using the moveobjects on cheat, then replacing ONE of the footpath tiles on a CORNER of the lot opposite the one you are building on. In other words, place ANY floor tile (just one) at one of the either end of the sidewalk in the lot across the road oposite!
You need to do this whilst in the vacant lot that you are building on....not in the neighbourhood view!
There is no need for the rotate 45 degrees cheat!

hope this helps!

fev

On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Test Subject
#46 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 5:37 AM
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. ive followed everything in the tutorial. it has worked xept for the garage doors, they are opening to the wrong way. nd they wont change. ive been in and out of the lot a few times nd it still hasnt changed.
HELP!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#47 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 10:58 PM
Sarah4Ethan: You cannot change the direction of the garage doors. The driveway piece will only rotate in one direction, ie. the same diection as the garage door. Simply move the garage to the oposite side of your lot - and the garage door will then be facing the correct direction. Hope this helps!

(This is the reason why you should ALWAYS build the garage before the house. If the driveway turns the wrong you can simply mirror the house you are building.)

- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Test Subject
#48 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 1:22 AM
I think the easiest way to do a sideways garage for the first time, is not to change the scripting in the game!
Read the first post in this tutorial, with only using the moveobjects on cheat, then replacing ONE of the footpath tiles on a CORNER of the lot opposite the one you are building on. In other words, place ANY floor tile (just one) at one of the either end of the sidewalk in the lot across the road oposite!
You need to do this whilst in the vacant lot that you are building on....not in the neighbourhood view!
There is no need for the rotate 45 degrees cheat!

hope this helps!

fev

I did try what you mention. It went 60 degrees. It's not 45 degree rotate.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vkbrown
I did try what you mention. It went 60 degrees. It's not 45 degree rotate.

Hi
I just read your post.
The sideways garage doesnt always work for all lots!
Try going back into neighbourhood view, then turning your view around 90 degrees then place a lot down....go into that lot, then try the sideways garage (before building anything else).
If that doesnt work, go back to neighbourhood view....rotate another 90 degrees...try again.

In this link below....what I am trying to say will become more clear!

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97102

fev

On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Test Subject
#50 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 5:41 PM
Hi
I just read your post.
The sideways garage doesnt always work for all lots!
Try going back into neighbourhood view, then turning your view around 90 degrees then place a lot down....go into that lot, then try the sideways garage (before building anything else).
If that doesnt work, go back to neighbourhood view....rotate another 90 degrees...try again.

In this link below....what I am trying to say will become more clear!

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97102

fev

Thanks! I did try that again and again. It's still not working. It seems my game didn't accept that.
Page 2 of 8