Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#226 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 10:24 PM
I know, but I wanted to try different techniques - I want to make more two tile doors and so I thought I would practice on a window as they are similar but I am better at windows. I did finally use a clone I had previously made, but I wondered what I was doing wrong.

On a related topic, do you know of anyway that I could swap an objects wallmask via a BHAV? (Milk bottle version2 plans)

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#227 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 8:44 AM
I've never looked into windows, so I don't really know... Are there any objects that do that in game?
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#228 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 8:58 AM Last edited by leesester : 8th Dec 2008 at 9:05 AM.
Well, my question was more if the wallmask could be applied using a sort of stack graphic technique via the BHAV, to be used in my apartment door changer to get more doors available - the wall mask of the original door is restricting my choices. I wanted to do a variant for dorm doors but that one has a reaaly awkward sized wall mask, so I wondered if I could somehow change the wall mask on the target door by door basis inside the changer. I was just testing on a window to see what could be done, but my interest is doors right now.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Instructor
#229 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 9:14 PM
My head hurts
For several reasons, I chose some object to have tiles other than (0,0) to be lead one (main reason - to have all tiles' X and Y >0). Ok, I knew that position in CRES corresponds to lead tile, not (0,0) tile. But, it was unpleasant surprise that footprint block in cres also roots from lead tile. I mean, say, I have (0,5) as lead tile, I draw something in CRES for (0,0) - and sims clearly follow my drawing when routing to (0,5)
The problem is, I don't know which number (0,0) would need to have putting its shape to (0,5) doesn't seem to help.

Anyone else messed with this? Any suggestions please?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#230 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 8:07 AM
Have you tried changing the min and max values blocks in the footprint block of the cres?
Instructor
#231 Old 31st Jan 2009 at 3:02 PM
Hi Echo! Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Till now I didn't even know that it's possible to change the footprint ...

Probably because of that and my general lack of modding experience I experienced a problem trying to modify the footprint of one of my fountains. I don't know what's wrong and checked your frequent issues list but the object is just not displayed in the catalogue.
The only thing that seemed odd to me in SimPE was an error message I always got when I wanted to edit the Object function files. Translated into English it was something like:
Quote:
The object reference was not assigned to an object instance.

[Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.]

If you don't know what's the problem I could also post the package.

Thanks in advance for all replies! I wouldn't know what to do without your ingenious modding skills and knowledge!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#232 Old 31st Jan 2009 at 3:17 PM
That is certainly an unusual error for footprint mods. Could you post the object?
Instructor
#233 Old 31st Jan 2009 at 6:21 PM
Yes of course! I even tested it once more but it's not there...
At least it won't crash the game or something similar, it's just not there .

By the way, I just tried to add one more square, I know that it's notenough for the mesh but it was just for testing.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: zip JB-ViWa2-CambridgeFIXED.zip
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#234 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 1:12 AM
Well I'm not getting the error you were getting... But you are short by two OBJf files. Every OBJD needs an OBJf with the same instance ID. Try this version?
File Type: rar JB-ViWa2-CambridgeFIXED.rar
Instructor
#235 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 10:20 AM
Thanks!
What I don't understand is that I also checked the OBJfs but probably in a wrong way. With one OBJD selected I always chose OBJf from the dropdown menu and then the OBJf was displayed for every OBJD and all of them had correspondindg instance numbers.
Is that not what you mean?

I have to go now but I'll test your version when I'm back this evening or in the next days.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#236 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 10:46 AM
If you select "OBJD" from the file types list, you had three there. If you select "OBJf" from that list, you only had one.
Instructor
#237 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 7:15 PM
Yes that was obviously the problem. I'll report here later how it works!
Instructor
#238 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 8:59 PM
It's strange but true: Even though everything should be alright now there's still not any sign of them in game. I tested it in my full-game as well as in the BGS and in none of the two object catalogues was the fountain displayed.

I rather think that it's not an issue of the footprint but of course I'm not really sure and probably you have an idea what else could cause the problem.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#239 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 1:15 AM
Bad footprints won't normally keep stuff out of the catalogue, so it's probably something else. Did it show up before the footprint change?
Instructor
#240 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 10:24 AM
Yes, of course.
And the other fountains are still displayed properly. Perhaps it's best to go through th whole process once again.
Instructor
#241 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 2:42 PM Last edited by jon119 : 15th Feb 2009 at 4:41 PM.
I tried it again and now my fountain is displayed correctly in game with the new footprint tile! Thanks alot for the great tutorial!

But I have another question now: What values do I have to enter for tiles not to the top or left of the 0,0 coordinates but to the right or below. I thought that you'd probably use negative values and so for -1,0 I entered -256 but the tile is not there in game (but at least the object still works ...)

Is it not possible to add tiles in those directions or do I have to do something else? For example placing the mesh in the middle of the new 3x3 grid?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#242 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 3:45 AM
Some people have told me that it can work with -ve numbers, but I'm not so sure. Certainly, the easiest way to do it is to put a translation on the relevant node in the cres to move it into position, then make the footprint tiles all (0,0) or higher.
Instructor
#243 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Some people have told me that it can work with -ve numbers, but I'm not so sure. Certainly, the easiest way to do it is to put a translation on the relevant node in the cres to move it into position, then make the footprint tiles all (0,0) or higher.

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure what you mean with the second sentence about the cres ...
Could you explain how to 'put a translation on the relevant node in the cres to move it into position' for a modding newbie please? Or are there some tutorials?

Thanks a lot for all your effort, Echo!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#244 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 11:24 AM
Head over to this thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=242079
and read the "a good solution - translating the cres" section.
Instructor
#245 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 6:43 PM
I'm sorry for annoying you again but the problem I have now seems not to have any logical explanation...
I successfully added one more footprint tile on the right (coordinate value 256) of the existing tile but now I wanted to add one more above it (value 1) and it doesn't work. It's just not there .
I was wondering if it matters if you clone the last OBJD file for every new tile or if you always clone the one you cloned for the first new tile but I tried both of them and there was no difference.
I already made a version with 8 additional tiles and only the two I already had before are dsiplayed in game. I don't wan't to waste more GUIDs for nothing and so I thought I'd better ask.
Best Regards
jon119
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#246 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 10:42 PM
Just checking - one tile above tile 256 is tile 257...?
Instructor
#247 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 11:46 PM
You're right, I think I formulated it in the wrong way . What I meant is tile 256 above tile 0.
I also attach the package if somebody wants to check it. It's the version with two additional tiles ('256' and '1') but only '256' being displayed.
File Type: zip JB-ViWa2-StockholmFIXED-NN.zip
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#248 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 8:33 AM
Blarg, I can't get this to work. I have cloned the staircase OMSP because it has 16 slots already and I'm working on making a nicknack bookcase. I need it to be two tiles, but its just not working. What did I miss?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Phaenoh-MarcelBreuerBookcase.rar (26.2 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#249 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 11:09 AM
Phae, two of your objds have the same GUID.
If that doesn't fix it, try making the instance IDs for the objds consecutive.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#250 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 6:10 PM
:facepalm: it's always the littlest things that seem to trip me up... That fixed it, thanks again Echo!
Page 10 of 11