Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 1:07 AM Last edited by CannibalLecter : 29th Aug 2016 at 2:53 AM. Reason: Typo, woops.
What The Hell Happened To My Game?! (TS3) [Solved]
I am going to apologise in advance because this will probably get lengthy, i'll put it into steps to make it seem more structured and break down what i did. Before I start, a few points that I figure will be relevant;
-Previously all my mods/packages were working
- I had played regularly for about 2 years (and I mean daily) with no problems.
- The blue lot issue stopped for about 3 months and then decided to start up again.
- I have late night, ambitions, generations and seasons.

Okay, since my mods/packages folders were getting pretty full, and disorganised, and then on top of that i started getting the dreaded blue lots, I decided to start a new sims folder (renaming the old one) and assumed this would work fine. The game loaded up no problems. Then the issues came.

I added in the mods i'd had the longest, knowing they were no issue ( Nraas, and about 20 pieces of furniture) this was a mixture of mods and packages. I literally copied and pasted them from my old folder to minimise error. They didn't work.

After an embarrassing amount of time I realised I didn't have my resource file, so I popped it in and assumed it would all be fixed. A hand full of the packages & mods then worked again, but nraas didn't.

I thought, maybe because it's a pretty big mod and that all of them include overrides it had to be installed from scratch, so I deleted them, and re downloaded them from the site. Didn't work.

Tried keeping only the zip file, then only the package file, thinking maybe it decided that caused conflict. No joy.

Read through the Nraas website, and deleted a couple of files in the documents page as per its orders, that didn't work either.

attempted to uninstall a couple of objects thinking maybe some of the resource packages installed through the launcher had done something when installed already before loading the game up. It crashed on the uninstall.

At this point I decided to just give up, and move the new sims 3 file, and put my old one back, (renaming them both so the original would work)

Loaded up the game as usual, crashed at the EA logo.

I had no idea what the hell was going on, so I figured since my new file was working i'd just copy and paste my mods into that folder, blue lot error be damned, did that with my library as well so not to lose my saved sims.

Loaded up the game again, crashed in the intro
Loaded it two more times, crashed on the loading screen both times.

At this point I have no idea what to try next, or why the game is crashing. HELP
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 4:22 AM Last edited by Ghost sdoj : 6th Aug 2016 at 4:33 AM.
Get Delphy's Dashboard.
Scan your package CC with it.
Scan your DCBackup to see what cc you might have that was converted to a Sims 3 pack from a broken package in the mistaken belief that this would prevent a blue lot issue.

Now that the blue lot stuff has been identified, remove it and look for updates if you still want to use it.

Now. Your Documents/electronic arts/Sims 3 folder should have a folder in it called Mods. The Mods folder should have folders called Overrides, and Packages, and should have the Resource.cfg in it. Packages (and various subfolders in Packages) should have your CC. If you've been moving things around, we should be sure everything is in the right place.

The zip file is just an archive. The game doesn't even see it. You need to extract it in order to use it. It wasn't causing any conflicts.

Some CC will not work unless other files that it needs are also there. Other CC will not work if it's not matching the patch level of your game. This can cause the crashing you have experienced. And this does include things from NRAAS. I would double check the contents of your NRAAS folder against the mod descriptions at the site to make sure that A) you downloaded the right version, and B) you downloaded all the pieces you need.

If it worked without your CC, and stopped working once you added it, there are problems with your CC. (And blue lot CC doesn't cause crashing, it just completely deletes a lot forever. Getting rid of things known to cause blue lots will help the game, but it won't fix the crashes.)

I was just going to bed, so if making sure your NRAAS files are all there and at the right level didn't help, I will direct you to the FAQ. Go through each step, even though it has redirected you to the game Problem FAQ. (Your game does have a problem. It's crashing.) Then click the link at the bottom for the crashing checklist. (And don't get lazy and go there first, or it will just be sending you back. )

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Loading_Crashes

Edit: If you have a bad file in DCBackup, it means you have installed a bad Sims 3 pack. It doesn't tell you which one. Crinrict's blog might help with that, otherwise you will have to figure it out on your own. Opening it with S3PE might give a clue, or you can remove your entire DCCache folder, then install sims3packs one by one. Then check the dccache with Dashboard. If it's still ok, copy the contents of the DCCache folder. If it's got a blue lot file in it, remove the current DCCache folder and replace it with the copy. (Or a copy of the copy if you had several bad files to find and haven't found them all yet.) Keep doing this until everything is found. Then install the rest of the sims3packs as normal.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Get Delphy's Dashboard.
Scan your package CC with it.
Scan your DCBackup to see what cc you might have that was converted to a Sims 3 pack from a broken package in the mistaken belief that this would prevent a blue lot issue.
I used that when I got the initial blue lot issue and nothing showed up as bad. I haven't installed anything since

Now. Your Documents/electronic arts/Sims 3 folder should have a folder in it called Mods. The Mods folder should have folders called Overrides, and Packages, and should have the Resource.cfg in it. Packages (and various subfolders in Packages) should have your CC. If you've been moving things around, we should be sure everything is in the right place.

I know where to put the files, they are definitely in the correct place, since they were working previously, it's only now that they've been copied to a different sims folder that they've stopped working, I must have checked them about 100 times, but i'm baffled as to why it seems to be just nraas not working.

The zip file is just an archive. The game doesn't even see it. You need to extract it in order to use it. It wasn't causing any conflicts.

I know this, but was running out of ideas.

Some CC will not work unless other files that it needs are also there. Other CC will not work if it's not matching the patch level of your game. This can cause the crashing you have experienced. And this does include things from NRAAS. I would double check the contents of your NRAAS folder against the mod descriptions at the site to make sure that A) you downloaded the right version, and B) you downloaded all the pieces you need.

It's definetely correct since they worked previously.

If it worked without your CC, and stopped working once you added it, there are problems with your CC. (And blue lot CC doesn't cause crashing, it just completely deletes a lot forever. Getting rid of things known to cause blue lots will help the game, but it won't fix the crashes.)

The thing is, when i switched back to my original file it started crashing even though literally nothing had changed. That's what confused me.

I was just going to bed, so if making sure your NRAAS files are all there and at the right level didn't help, I will direct you to the FAQ. Go through each step, even though it has redirected you to the game Problem FAQ. (Your game does have a problem. It's crashing.) Then click the link at the bottom for the crashing checklist. (And don't get lazy and go there first, or it will just be sending you back. )

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Loading_Crashes

Edit: If you have a bad file in DCBackup, it means you have installed a bad Sims 3 pack. It doesn't tell you which one. Crinrict's blog might help with that, otherwise you will have to figure it out on your own. Opening it with S3PE might give a clue, or you can remove your entire DCCache folder, then install sims3packs one by one. Then check the dccache with Dashboard. If it's still ok, copy the contents of the DCCache folder. If it's got a blue lot file in it, remove the current DCCache folder and replace it with the copy. (Or a copy of the copy if you had several bad files to find and haven't found them all yet.) Keep doing this until everything is found. Then install the rest of the sims3packs as normal.

I attempted to uninstall some of the packs, annoyingly deleting the file obviously doesn't work, but every time I try to uninstall the loading box crashes. Is there any other way to remove it? I tried running it without cc (clicking the box) but it still crashed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 11:28 PM Last edited by CannibalLecter : 7th Aug 2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: update
Default Update
successfully loaded without mods in a totally fresh file.
I've decided I can't live without 5 mods/packages:
-two items
-nraas
-a mod that edits group portion sizes
-a carpool disabler.

I'm going to load it again with all bar the nraas mods since I seem to have an issue with those.
Loaded it up no issues, stuff showed up in game. Now going to attempted to load with Nraas.
Loaded it up, Nraas still not working(IT seems to be all override mods that aren't working: Carpool disabler, food portions & nraas)
Site Helper
#5 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 12:41 AM
Good luck.

If the launcher is refusing to allow you to uninstall a sims 3 pack, the only way I know of to force the issue is to remove the entire DCCache, and then reinstall only the ones you want. I'm glad that it looks as though you don't have to do that.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 12:49 AM
Okay, well now I still can't get Nraas to work, game seems to run fine though. But I really do want this mod since I use it so much I feel like I can't play without it. Read through the Nraas help page a couples times but can't think what I'm doing wrong.

It seems to be all override mods that aren't working: Carpool disabler, food portions & nraas.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 1:34 AM
It does sound like something is off-kilter there still. Which patch level are you on?

It might help if you could provide us with three screenshots in Detail View: Your TS3 game folder, your Mods folder, and your Packages folder (I assume you have nothing in Overrides), each showing their contents or as much as possible.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
It does sound like something is off-kilter there still. Which patch level are you on?

It might help if you could provide us with three screenshots in Detail View: Your TS3 game folder, your Mods folder, and your Packages folder (I assume you have nothing in Overrides), each showing their contents or as much as possible.

Here you go, I'm glad it's not just me, I thought I was just being stupid and there was an obvious solution. Oh and I'm up to date with patches, 1.69.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 4:26 AM Last edited by igazor : 7th Aug 2016 at 6:31 AM.
Okay, your Framework and the way in which you are installing package based content are wrong.

In your game folder, you have a folder called Mods. Inside of that you should have three and only three things: a folder called Packages, a folder called Overrides, and a file called Resource.cfg. That is all. You actually have a folder also called Mods inside of Mods, that one isn't going to work. I also don't know where you got your version of Resource.cfg from, it has an unusual modification date. The one most all of us use is inside of the downloadable Framework from here:
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files
(also note the illustrations that show you what things should look like at each level)

If you prefer the Do It Yourself method, you can also get the same standalone Resource.cfg file from our site:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/file/detail/Resource.zip

Inside Overrides (a sub-folder you are missing), there should be nothing unless a developer instructs you to place their content in there. It's pretty unusual.

Inside Packages, this is where your package based content goes. The procedure is to download elsewhere and unzip or unrar the download, then place the package files (only) into Packages. You can arrange them in further sub-folders going as far as 5 levels deep if you want for better organization, but you don't have to do that. You have zips and decompressed folders in there that just do not belong and would get in the way of the content and mods loading up,. though I suppose all the extra folders are doing is adding clutter.

And finally, you need to delete your game folder's five cache files anytime the contents of Mods or Mods/Packages changes for any reason. This includes additions, deletions, and updates. They will regenerate automatically on the next attempted startup of the game.
CasPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
simCompositorCache.package
socialCache.package

To summarize, at the very least, get the proper version of Resource.cfg, get rid of the folder called Mods that is inside of Mods, get rid of the compressed files (zips) as those should not be in there, and clear caches. I can't see into your other sub-folders to see what's in there, but hopefully those are all TS3 package files and not other things.

For sanity's sake, I would suggest fixing the above, removing everything temporarily anyway, and try loading up a new test game with just the NRaas MasterController base mod in the proper place, caches cleared and nothing else. If you can get that going, then add a few more mods in, maybe MC Cheats, clear caches, and try again. Then your package based CC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 8:47 PM
I have always had two folders inside my mods folder, as that is what multiple websites have told me to do, and that folder has no problems all of that content is showing up and since my mods worked with that folder in place that can't be what is causing the issue.

Like the above poster said, the zip files make no difference and as I have said I tried removing them anyway but nothing changed

There is nothing wrong with my resource file since my mods work . That date isn't unusual at all that is when it was downloaded so that is when my pc says it was last edited.

I don't need an overrides folder because it would just be empty. Like I said, my mods worked before now they don't. It cannot be anything to do with my folder layout since its identical to how it was in my old save.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CannibalLecter
I have always had two folders inside my mods folder, as that is what multiple websites have told me to do, and that folder has no problems all of that content is showing up and since my mods worked with that folder in place that can't be what is causing the issue.

Like the above poster said, the zip files make no difference and as I have said I tried removing them anyway but nothing changed

There is nothing wrong with my resource file since my mods work . That date isn't unusual at all that is when it was downloaded so that is when my pc says it was last edited.

I don't need an overrides folder because it would just be empty. Like I said, my mods worked before now they don't. It cannot be anything to do with my folder layout since its identical to how it was in my old save.

What websites would those be? Perhaps you are misinterpreting their instructions. It is fine to have multiple folders inside your packages folder in order to organize your mods, but they do need to be in the packages folder in order to be read. Your way clearly isn't working, since you had blue lot issues before this and crashing now. Why not try igazor's suggestions instead of just dismissing them?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndreaJEP
What websites would those be? Perhaps you are misinterpreting their instructions. It is fine to have multiple folders inside your packages folder in order to organize your mods, but they do need to be in the packages folder in order to be read. Your way clearly isn't working, since you had blue lot issues before this and crashing now. Why not try igazor's suggestions instead of just dismissing them?

You aren't understanding me. There is nothing wrong with the stuff in my second mods folder that's all showing up, and is where i put extracted packs. Its 3 items in the package folder that aren't working, and blue lot issues are caused by bad CC which I have now removed, that's really not my issue anymore. I have already tried 90% of what they suggested, and the other 10% doesn't make any logical sense, or doesn't work. The resource file is from the website he suggested despite him claiming its broken, and the sims can't read zip files so it doesn't matter where they actually are, which the above poster (an admin) already stated.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 11:34 PM
One of the (many) odd and not entirely controllable things about this game is the order in which things attempt to load at startup. If the game encounters something in the sequence it can't do anything with, such as a malformed mod or a package file not meant for TS3, an extraneous zipped file, a folder full of content in the wrong place such as Packages\Mods\Mods, the startup sequence might skip right over them. Or it might pause silently for a very long time and, even if it resumes, not bother trying to load many of the items that would have come directly afterwards in the sequence. Unless the contents of your Resource.cfg are different from what most of us use, as that is what dictates when and how content is read, I think the Packages\Mods\Mods structure is the most likely culprit (that or you have something in one of those other subfolders that is causing things to balk or you are not clearing cache files away after each attempt).

If an unusual or non-standard setup does work, something as simple as adding a new package file or taking one away could jumble the loadup sequence enough to make it not work again. This shouldn't really happen, content should load in somewhat alphabetical order no matter how many sub-folders they are all in, but it happens anyway. The suggestions I made would help you detect which of these issues or if something else might be causing the problem by starting with MC base, one of the packages that is refusing to load for you now, clearing caches, and seeing if that one will load successfully, then if so going from there to rebuild the collection in a more standard structure. You are free to dismiss all that I said as unworthy of even attempting, but I'm not really certain what you have to gain by doing so.

Edit: And, by the way, the modification date on my Resource.cfg on both Mac and Win7 is in June 2011. I didn't even start playing TS3 until later in that year and wasn't on the Windows side until 2013, so for me and most other players, I see the date that file was last meaningfully modified (on purpose or by accident), not the date it was downloaded and unzipped.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 12:12 AM
My computer totally crashed & I had to reinstall everything onto a new hard drive, so it thinks it was installed at that time.
I should probably clarify what I said (in my original post?) about looking through the nraas website, it told me to delete a couple of files and those were in fact the files mentioned. It didn't do anything. I've moved the mods folder (and created an empty one titled overrides) just for the sake of trying since I really just want to play this god damn game again and at this point I'll try anything that works (I wish for the life of me that I knew why an identical folder would fail to load). I apologise if i come across as snarky or ungrateful but you can imagine how many forums an help pages i've looked through this week, all just telling me to do the same thing i've already done 3 times, with no justifaction or reasoning to help me stop the problem repeating itself. i've probably spent close to 24 hours trying to figure this out and i'm just so tired of moving folders and waiting 300 years for the sims to load a town. I'm typing this while the game loads up with the mods folder moved;

First note is that the game launcher didn't open it just launched straight into the game.
no pop up about mods, not looking good.
Nope, still no nraas.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 12:24 AM
First note is that the game launcher didn't open it just launched straight into the game.

Part of suggesting steps for troubleshooting is to rule things out, they aren't all going to be magical solutions. Unless you are talking to clueless tech support reps reading from scripts, then all bets are off and one must be prepared to waste some time. Hopefully you realize that those trying to help here are not clueless tech support reps reading from scripts.

So on the most recent attempt, did you as suggested have MC base as the only package file at all in Mods\Packages, with all of the other stuff removed?

We also got some new information here from your description. How are you starting up the game? As you are on Patch 1.69, the only way to get the game started is from Origin. It hands off to the Launcher, then eventually (after loading up all of your sims3pack content in its tabs), waits for you to click start and then after another really long and annoying pause and the startup screen song and dance, asks you which saved game you want to play or would you like to start a new one. It's all admittedly a royal pain just to get things started each time when we used to be able to skip over some of this stuff by bypassing the Launcher on Patch 1.67 and prior. But we can't do that anymore.

There are no Origin or Launcher bypass shortcuts (as far as we know) that work on Patch 1.69, unless you are retreating to the Main Menu instead of quitting TS3 entirely after each game session which is problematic for other reasons, no matter how brief and disappointing those sessions are.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 12:40 AM
Part of suggesting steps for troubleshooting is to rule things out, they aren't all going to be magical solutions. Unless you are talking to clueless tech support reps reading from scripts, then all bets are off and one must be prepared to waste some time. Hopefully you realize that those trying to help here are not clueless tech support reps reading from scripts.

I know, Honestly I wasn't expecting a response and was very ready to just switch back 100% to the sims 2 (and its embarrassingly large and disorganised mods folder)

So on the most recent attempt, did you as suggested have MC base as the only package file at all in Mods\Packages, with all of the other stuff removed?

No, i'm about to do that now, that was after moving the folders into the suggested layout

We also got some new information here from your description. How are you starting up the game? As you are on Patch 1.69, the only way to get the game started is from Origin. It hands off to the Launcher, then eventually (after loading up all of your sims3pack content in its tabs), waits for you to click start and then after another really long and annoying pause and the startup screen song and dance, asks you which saved game you want to play or would you like to start a new one. It's all admittedly a royal pain just to get things started each time when we used to be able to skip over some of this stuff by bypassing the Launcher on Patch 1.67 and prior. But we can't do that anymore.

That's the weird thing, I am on 1.69, and usually the launcher opens (I double click the sims icon, it opens origin, I log on and it opens the launcher. For some reason this time it decided it wasn't feeling it, and just opened the game straight up.)

There are no Origin or Launcher bypass shortcuts (as far as we know) that work on Patch 1.69, unless you are retreating to the Main Menu instead of quitting TS3 entirely after each game session which is problematic for other reasons, no matter how brief and disappointing those sessions are.

Nope, totally exiting, I always do since the game doesn't like to be running for more than about 3 hours, what with the big families across multiple houses, and hundreds of unique memories, i tend to get error codes if I don't save & quit regularly, and quitting the game seems to reset it back to a fresh state.

Okay, this time I just have nraas (although I have 2 other mods not working, both of which are not objects but things that change game play (carpool disabler & one that cuts down group meals as i mentioned before) I feel like that's got to be something to do with the problem. If this works I'm going to be totally baffled since its all worked in harmony before.

Still no pop up about mods. Not looking good once again.
Nope, still no joy
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 12:53 AM Last edited by igazor : 8th Aug 2016 at 3:19 AM.
I understand this is a recent reinstall, but from where did you originally obtain the TS3 base game and your EP/SPs and by which method did you perform the reinstall? Were they retail store discs, all Origin downloads, digital content from some other source (guess we can rule out Steam here), a combination of any? And were the installs done by disc, Origin, or by some other method?

Man, this one is being stubborn. Your game I mean, not you. Assuming this is an all disc or (more likely) all digital install, the next step is to get more aggressive. Not with you, with your game I mean again.

Pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents to your Desktop for safekeeping -- don't worry, you can put it back just as it is later. Launch the game, from Origin, making sure that the Launcher is part of the process; a new game folder will be spawned when you attempt to start up a new game. Back out of that.

Download a fresh copy of the Mods Framework from here, unzip, and place in your game folder: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files

Clear cache files (if you even have any at that point) and startup. Is the Intro movie suppressed and are the two test mods, NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles, recognized and reported as script mods being present with the expected pop-up?

Edit: Upon re-reading this, sorry I see that I kind of left out the point of this exercise. If the two test mods work on a new test game in a fresh Framework in a fresh game folder, the next step would be to sneak MC Base in there for a total of three package files, clear caches, and startup again to see if any of the joy returns.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 11:17 PM
I understand this is a recent reinstall, but from where did you originally obtain the TS3 base game and your EP/SPs and by which method did you perform the reinstall? Were they retail store discs, all Origin downloads, digital content from some other source (guess we can rule out Steam here), a combination of any? And were the installs done by disc, Origin, or by some other method?

I have all bar nightlife on disc, while nightlife was from cdkeys. Well, it was only 2.50 I couldn't resist.

Man, this one is being stubborn. I know Your game I mean, not you. Assuming this is an all disc or (more likely) all digital install, the next step is to get more aggressive. Not with you, with your game I mean again.

Pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents to your Desktop for safekeeping -- don't worry, you can put it back just as it is later. Launch the game, from Origin, making sure that the Launcher is part of the process; a new game folder will be spawned when you attempt to start up a new game. Back out of that.

Download a fresh copy of the Mods Framework from here, unzip, and place in your game folder: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files

Clear cache files (if you even have any at that point) and startup. Is the Intro movie suppressed and are the two test mods, NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles, recognized and reported as script mods being present with the expected pop-up?

-Intro movie wasn't suppressed (what the hell am I doing wrong >:O )
-loading up the game anyway to see if the walls sparkle, I reckon they won't as my regular furniture package files seemed to work but we'll see.
-Nope, walls still sparkle like a vampire in twilight.
This is why I can't have nice things

Edit: Upon re-reading this, sorry I see that I kind of left out the point of this exercise. If the two test mods work on a new test game in a fresh Framework in a fresh game folder, the next step would be to sneak MC Base in there for a total of three package files, clear caches, and startup again to see if any of the joy returns.

Apparently this message is too short to post. waffle waffle waffle.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 2:47 AM
I've never been convinced that cdkeys counts as a legitimate reseller but am also not prepared to get into that debate at this time. I take it that the EP was downloaded and installed through Origin anyway and all they provide themselves is the registration code, correct?

The other discs are from legit retail sources, not a seller made impossible to register online collection of such discs? There's no hacks or changes made to files in the Programs section of the installs, other than perhaps some revised sgr files if your graphics card required them? Any Games4TheWorld helper files or the equivalent in play?

If "heck no" to all of the above, then I'm afraid this remains a puzzle. The basic Framework with those two sample script mods should function flawlessly on a new install with a fresh game folder and nothing else added to get in the way. The only other suggestions I have are an Origin Repair Game (unless you have already done that step) and then consider a total uninstall, Registry clean, and reinstall from scratch. Maybe with Origin versions of everything rather than disc installs, if that's not how you did it the first time. But admittedly that last ditch suggestion does sound rather extreme.

Unless anyone else here has any better ideas.

Edit:
Okay wait, one final thought. This new game folder with the fresh Framework, two test mods only that aren't loading and no other content of any kind. Does the modification date of the DeviceConfig.log that resides in there match the last time you started up the game? If you start it up again on this new, clean folder, does the DeviceConfig.log file instantly update its modification date/time to that latest attempt?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 11:02 PM
I've never been convinced that cdkeys counts as a legitimate reseller but am also not prepared to get into that debate at this time. I take it that the EP was downloaded and installed through Origin anyway and all they provide themselves is the registration code, correct?

Yep, they sent me a code and you typed it into origin so it seemed pretty legit to me. I also registered that game on the sims 3 website which i assume it wouldn't let me do with a dodgy copy

The other discs are from legit retail sources, not a seller made impossible to register online collection of such discs? There's no hacks or changes made to files in the Programs section of the installs, other than perhaps some revised sgr files if your graphics card required them? Any Games4TheWorld helper files or the equivalent in play?

I mean they all came in their original cases, I'm pretty sure they were gifts but I got them like 3 years ago so I can't remember, pretty sure they were all new (and from amazon probably)

If "heck no" to all of the above, then I'm afraid this remains a puzzle. The basic Framework with those two sample script mods should function flawlessly on a new install with a fresh game folder and nothing else added to get in the way. The only other suggestions I have are an Origin Repair Game (unless you have already done that step) and then consider a total uninstall, Registry clean, and reinstall from scratch. Maybe with Origin versions of everything rather than disc installs, if that's not how you did it the first time. But admittedly that last ditch suggestion does sound rather extreme.

Unless anyone else here has any better ideas.

Edit:
Okay wait, one final thought. This new game folder with the fresh Framework, two test mods only that aren't loading and no other content of any kind. Does the modification date of the DeviceConfig.log that resides in there match the last time you started up the game? If you start it up again on this new, clean folder, does the DeviceConfig.log file instantly update its modification date/time to that latest attempt?

it says date modified 08/08/16 00:58 which was when I loaded it up. I opened it up and it doesn't have any dates inside so i assume that's what you meant (I try not to fiddle with the files that I haven't put in since I feel like I would break the game, which I've apparently managed to do!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 12:42 AM
Okay, I did the origin repair and went to check my mods to see if it had deleted them and realised I had somehow managed to copy the mods into two different places, so I fixed that and loaded it up again;

-Walls no longer sparkle
- Intro is gone

Not sure if it was the douplication of mods or the origin repair but let's roll with it.

Going to add Nraas and see what happens.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 12:50 AM
Okay, I did the origin repair and went to check my mods to see if it had deleted them and realised I had somehow managed to copy the mods into two different places, so I fixed that and loaded it up again;

-Walls no longer sparkle
- Intro is gone

Not sure if it was the douplication of mods or the origin repair but let's roll with it.

Going to add Nraas and see what happens.

Mod scripts have popped up as a notification! Joy at last!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 1:23 AM
Phew (sheesh, and other such exclamations like that...did someone mention waffles?). Just think about how much more you are going to enjoy your game once you get all of your content redone and with your mods working properly again when this is all over, even with the long torturous path it took to get there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 3:54 AM
Phew (sheesh, and other such exclamations like that...did someone mention waffles?). Just think about how much more you are going to enjoy your game once you get all of your content redone and with your mods working properly again when this is all over, even with the long torturous path it took to get there.

Long torturous path indeed! Thanks so much for the help (I swear this stuff only happens to me) I just put in a handful of mods & cc to see if they'd work (the exact same ones as before) and everything is working fine now, and smoother since it isn't cluttered with so many *cough 259 cough* package files!