Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 2:23 PM
Default changing water color?
Hi All,

I have searched for several hours for an answer to this but cannot find anything that works.

After nightmare PC upgrade I am starting sims 2 on a clean custom map and wanted to get terrain likes out of the way before I start building on the map further however I cannot for the life of me work out how to change water colors. ( I know there is a way in game files however that tutorial warn Nvidia graphics card users not to try as there are often problems)

I am aware most come in either lot or neighborhood view but am wondering if anyone knows of a mod that will do both?

I also downloaded Ground cover water 3 versions: light, dark and clear blue from the following link but there is very little information on how to actually use them, they show up in build mode spade/water icon i think it is and what I thought I could do with these would be to color the terrain with them followed by making a pool but it does not work out very well and I am not sure it changes the color of the water.

I also went into a community lake lot turned on modify neighborhood terrain thinking there may be a way to color the terrain under the water but I am not sure if that's even possible but it did not work anyway.

I am literally stuck I cannot think what I am doing wrong and wondering if anyone can advise me please.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 3:02 PM
There are placeable neighbourhood decorations which change the appearance of the water. You can use them both in neighbourhood view and in lot view. I'll see if I can find them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 3:23 PM
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 4:40 PM
This is what I was thinking of: http://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=4431.0

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 6:51 PM
Lili975

Is there anything you don't know-) you are a wonderful resource I am going to try this one out first as regardless of how difficult it may be to place in the neighborhood it comes from the game itself..Also I wonder if I could ask a last question and I promise it will be the last.. as you have helped me much in the last few days. For some reason after my reinstall the camera that I used before does not appear to be working properly and I need to be able to get to the edges of a custom map so I can place sky/cloud objects and actually play in the custom map itself without all the camera restrictions so could you please tell me which camera mod you think would be the best for that as there are so many to choose from....

@maxon

wow the colors are so beautiful I will defo be trying that out as well thank you. for the link
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 7:20 PM
Just to let you know the download link at sims2 artists is not working for Gwenke's ocean floor mod but I found a download link on the following site

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8...loor_gwenke.rar
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 8:29 PM
I don't know much at all, it just so happened that I recently installed TS2 and the Stories games on a new computer and had to do all that tweaking myself.

As for cameras, indeed there is a lot of them, but you can mix and match from different sets as long as you only have one of each type (live, neighborhood, ...). I mostly use Tom Duhamel's no-fade (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=312294) and Gunmod's A (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=97642), and this one for neighbourhood view: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=305352 (except when I play Downtown because for some reason, it can't zoom in much in maxis' premade Downtown). All from this site
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 8:48 PM
@Lili975

well kudos to your for learning so fast if you did the tweaking yourself then you must be PC proficient and I suppose that helps-) Were you playing another sims series before deciding to get 2?

With regards the camera mods do I download them all I thought you could only have one?
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 9:05 PM
Nope, only TS2

Cameras: the thing is, in your The Sims 2/Cameras folder, there are several text files, and you don't have to replace all of them with custom files from the same set, you can use someone's NeighborhoodCamera.txt and someone else's LiveCamera.txt, for instance. But of course you can also use someone's complete set.
Maybe try one popular set like Gunmod's one, for now, and when you have time and feel in the mood, you can try someone else's set and see if you like it better.

Or you can just replace the NeighborhoodCamera.txt file if you only want to be able to see the entire map. There is a lot of custom ones here: http://modthesims.info/browse.php?f...20Camera%20Mods

You will most likely need one that lets you zoom out quite far, in order to be able to place the ocean floor object. It usually has to be high on a hill, otherwise the pretty colour is somewhere underneath the map and you don't even see it! But you'll see for yourself when you experiment, it's not easy to put in words.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 9:22 PM
@Lili975

I understand what you mean about cameras but am not very clever about which files to change so would you mind letting me know which files from different camera mods you use so I can replace in my camera folder as it seems you are satisfied with your pick and mix variety of cameras for different things but I would not feel comfortable trying to do that on my own because I don't understand the files enough for that.. I just tried Gwenke ocean floor mod and it looks fab but I did not realize it had to be higher on a hill but then my camera wont allow me there anyway..
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 9:56 PM
I'm not sure exactly what are all the replacements I've made, but for the Neighborhood cam I use DasMatze2's one: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=305352

Just navigate to your Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Cameras folder, and in that folder, remove the NeighborhoodCamera.txt file, put in a safe place somewhere else so you can go back to how things were. Instead, download and put inside that same folder another, modified, NeighborhoodCamera.txt file, for instance the one I linked or any one that says in the description that it allows to see the entire map.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 10:50 AM
@Lili975

Of course i messed it up trying to mix and match camera mods so I ended up just using GunMods for now until I get more used to what different camera files do..Thanks again for your help again..