Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#76 Old 15th Oct 2006 at 4:16 PM
You need to be more specific. How many material overrides, material definitions and textures were there before you added the new ones? The one texture image, is it something you added, was there a texture original, or is the one you meant to add missing? It's impossible to know if there is something wrong or not, because sometimes a subset may have a material override and material definition but no texture at all (like glass for the most part), and sometimes two subsets with separate material definitions and material overrides might use the same texture image. So, necessarily there is nothing wrong.

You will need to explain in more detail what is there, what isn't, and what should be there.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 7:54 PM
I have a question that may have been answered by Numenor on page one...but just to make sure. When trying to add a glass subset to a bedframe, you cannot add a texture? Is that why mine turns out flashing blue? If I don't add the texture, can I still add the glass subset? Will you be able to tell there is glass?

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Instructor
#78 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 8:08 PM Last edited by Khaibit : 31st Oct 2006 at 9:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MissWendy
When trying to add a glass subset to a bedframe, you cannot add a texture?
Who said so? :D
You cannot recolour more than 2 subsets of the bed (trying to do so can cause flashing blue objects...) but you can add as many subsets as you want...
Glass: that's a TXMT thingy again, adjust it.
Flashing blue: try Numenor's checklist for flashing blue objects, maybe it's just a linking trouble...

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Test Subject
#79 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 1:08 PM
Default A BIG thank you, IgnorantBliss
Just wanted to let you know that I think your tutorial is great! I has success with adding a subset and linking it to its texture!
So thank you very much for taking the time to write this. Much appreciated.
p
Test Subject
#80 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 1:56 PM
hey, i was following yoru tutorial and

one of the objects i edited + mesh and all for a table, and only the alpha texture is there.

where can i get a texture image for the mesh?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#81 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 2:04 PM
Sounds like you cloned an object that's originally a slave object. Either make a new clone of the same table and select the "stand-alone object" cloning option, or clone a different table that's not a slave object. On the main Object Creation & Texturing forum I have a downloadable list of objects that are good for cloning and which are not slave objects.
Test Subject
#82 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 6:09 PM
oh i c, well i will try anotehr table and use the same meshes, i used the two cell table becasue one of the meshes was glass and wanted to keep the 'glass' properties as it was with a different mesh

but thanks you ^_____^
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 3:33 PM
Where can I create that last "Fix Integrity" (and maybe the first to?)

and when I've taken all the steps the part that I did all the thing with is grey whatever I do
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#84 Old 4th Dec 2006 at 4:35 AM
You perform Fix Integrity by going to Tools -> Object Tools -> Fix Integrity.

Your second question I don't quite understand. Can you be more specific about what is grey?
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 2:33 AM
Ok, I know I keep jumping from one thing to another, but I've just been busy busy busy with creating objects for about a month. I trying to build a table with a glass top. It's a 1x1 tile table. I know of 2 choices so far, I can either clone the glass nightlife table with the yellow post, or any of the other 1x1 tile tables and add a glass subset. Clonging the nightlife table would be the easiest way to go if I could change the post from shiny to normal, but I don't know how to do that, so I went with a solid wood table and tried to add a glass subset as the table top, However it's not working. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong tho. I went to the nightlife table and exported the glass material def. and went back into my wooden table and added it. In your tutorial, you don't really explain how to do it, I think. I thought that it would be the same as the rest of the tutorial, but it's not, the only reason I did it was because I'm not very good at creating glass, so I figured it would be easier if it were already glass, but it didn't work. So, of course I tried cloning the original material which was the wood material. I followed your tutorial exactly, but I am confused about weather I should leave the name exactly as it is and just change "wood" to "glass" which is what I've named my subset. It didn't work tho. I have followed this tutorial before and it worked, but I can't remember what the difference was. Also, since it was glass, I didn't even bother with a texture, I hope that was right. This table is giving me a lot of grief, I'll be so glad when I figure it out.

By the way, if you can just tell me how to change the shiny to normal, you won't even have to bother with the rest of the question. That would be so much easier (for me, anyway)
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#86 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 6:22 AM
It would be easier to do if you posted your object to take a look at . My guess is that the material definition uses something like a reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube to create extra shininess. If that's the case, change the value of stdMatEnvCubeMode to none and delete the line for stdMatEnvCubeTextureName completely. If that doesn't work, please, post your object, since it's a lot easier to help when I know exactly what I'm dealing with .
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 3:06 PM
here is the table that was made from the nightlife table, with the glass top and the shiny post. I did what you said and it didn't make any difference. Pershaps you can look at it now, and find out what the problem is.

Your help is very appreciated. I love the way you explain things, so easy to understand.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  diningtablecwin1024.zip (34.1 KB, 18 downloads) - View custom content
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#88 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 4:16 PM
I changed the specularity value in the material definition lower, from 80 to 5, and, at least in my game, the post doesn't look very shiny anymore, take a look and see if it's closer to what you want it to be.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  diningtablecwin1024.zip (34.1 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 4:43 PM
Thank you, it's exactly right. I'll make sure you get a link when I upload the whole set so you can see it.
Test Subject
#90 Old 12th Dec 2006 at 10:02 PM
please help. i have a speaker box that i want to make shinny only at the front. I only have 1 gmdc file that i open in SimPE but have no clue what a subset is? how do i make a subset for just the front of the box?

Please help?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#91 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 3:51 AM
You don't need to add more GMDCs, just a new subset. A subset is a part of the mesh that has its own material definition and texture. Say, a chair has subsets called "wood" and "fabric". So, if you want to have the front of the object as a separate subset, then in your mesh editing program, you will have two separate parts of the mesh, the original, whatever it's called, and then your new part as a separate group with its own name. You need to be more specific about what part about the tutorial you can't follow, otherwise it's very hard to help . First, how experienced are you with object creation and meshing in general? Because it sounds like you're not familiar with meshes and subsets in the first place. This tutorial is aimed at creators who first understand the basics of object creation, and I recommend you gain more experience in that first if that's the problem .
Test Subject
#92 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 4:39 PM
Cool. Thanks for the help. Got it working now. So excited. Only problem is I can't get the color of the shine right. The box is black so I want it to have a nice black shine to it i gues so could you suggest what option i should use. at the moment i have it

Reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube with the settings at 3.3,3.3,3.3

which is more of a silver shine. it also shines to bright so to take that down would i go up in numbers or down?

Anyway thanks so much for the help.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#93 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 4:45 PM
'1' is the highest setting. It represents 100%, ie 255 on that colour. Not sure what a 3.3 would do! So if you did 0.5 for each of the three settings, or less, that might suit.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#94 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 5:23 PM
okay cool. I understand the brightness part but where do i enter 255 for the color? like i said i added a new line stdMatEnvCubeTextureName using Reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube so where di i add 255 for the color. Sorry little confused.
Thanks
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#95 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 5:31 PM
I am hopeless at explaining things. Where you put the 3.3's the highest should be 1, which means the same as if you put 255 for that colour. 0.5 would be like putting 128 for the colour.

Why don't you use the Categorised Properties tab in the TXMT editor, which presents the settings in a different way, including showing you the colours.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#96 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 5:56 PM
Inge, I know what you mean but I'm unsure if it's clear (maybe my fault, if so sorry for adding stuff)
The RGB color profile is "translated" into values from 0 to 1. This means anemicrock, if you want a certain color to be displayed you have to check the RGB values in your paint program and then divide each of the values (R, G, B) through 256 (255:2 would't be 0.5 :D). Entering these 0 to 1 values will help you to get the wanted color instead of your 3.3 which is just invalid.
As Inge said, try the Categorised Properties tab out

Test Subject
#97 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 1:44 AM
cool thanks alot for the help. so let me see if i have this straight.

stdmatenvcubecoef = 0.01171875,0.0,0.01171875
those are the numbers i did with the division. the rgb colors for black in photoshop were 3, 0 , 3

stdmatenvcubemode = reflection

new line stdmatenvcubetexturename = no idea what to put here cause nothing works.
Instructor
#98 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 2:27 AM
stdMatEnvCubeTextureName = Reflection texture filename, without "_txtr" so reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube has to be entered here, also in the File List tab. Recently there was another thread discussing envcube-stuff Inge posted in... may help you to understand the envcube a bit better http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...ghlight=envcube

stdMatEnvCubeCoef - Use it to control how much the RGB values of the reflection map acts on the base texture; one can do monochromic recolouring with this - Reflection RGB (in conjunction with Reflection texture)

Copied from Niol's version of TXTR content, found in http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=35769
Maybe this helps you out. There is also some info about the envcubes, with a link to another thread (start at the end to find the stuff faster :D)

Test Subject
#99 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 11:42 PM
hey guys i'm back. Thanks for all the help. I got my head around it now and working in the game. Looks great. It's nice to find a foruma nd community that actually help people out. Appreciate it.
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 8:43 PM
This tutorial is great ! Thanks again IBliss

that's not the 1st time I've been following it but this time I have a little problem at step5 : there's no line called "tsDesignModeEnabled" on the pulldown list for the Blocklist ! what does it mean ? I'm making a plant by the way. maybe I should clone another object and check if this line is available ?

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
Page 4 of 10