Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2015 at 6:14 AM
Multiplayer Mod Idea!
I just wanted to come here to post a seemingly possible idea for a Sims 2 multiplayer mod, and describe how it would work.

Step 1: 2 players swap each other's IP address.
Step 2: 2 players, both with the mod installed, run a clean copy of the game.
Step 3: A menu appears, and each player must enter the other player's IP address into the menu.
Step 4: Both players choose the same neighborhood create their sim, and the game stalls on the end of the first player to finish until the second player finishes.
Step 5: The save files are scanned, and the 2 sims are combined on each end. The player will be unable to select the other player's sim, with a menu popping up telling them this is impossible before switching back if they try.
Step 6: Both players move the family into the same house.
Step 7: The sims are put in the house and the players are given an option to agree on an update time of either instant, 1 second, 5 seconds or 10 seconds.
Step 8: The savegames will automatically combined each time the update time has passed. If anyone tries to travel, the other player must agree to it or the interaction will be cancelled. Any sims that move in after this point will be controllable by both players.

And that's about it, in my opinion this is the most plausible way for multiplayer to be implemented into the game. I'd love to hear what you think, and if this idea is possible I'd love a mod creator to try to create it.
-Itsjustme13
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2015 at 9:45 PM
The most plausible way for TS2 to have a "multiplayer" aspect is for players with compatible game environments/configurations to pass a neighborhood from person to person. I believe this is indeed something that has been done before, but it must be passed along as entire unit. To my knowledge, my version of a hood cannot be simply merged with your version of the same hood for a number of reasons, such as the Sims' memories would be different and would most likely result in hood corruption. As a community, there is still a lot we do not know about the underlying components and complexities in the game files. It's not like we are editing paragraphs in a shared Google doc.

By design, TS2 is a single player game running on a single machine. It would take significant work to make it multiplayer and that is assuming you actually had the source code. What we have is the compiled executable. That is to say, it is assembled package. You could try to disassemble it, but that's arguably comparable to dropping a bomb on a building to see what's inside and how the furniture is arranged. You are not likely to get the information that you would need.

The idea has been discussed before (here's a related thread on the subject), and has been generally deemed impossible, or at least not worth the trouble. As such, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Locked thread