Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Live mode in the sims games is pronounced...
Live, like alive
2032 66.21%
Live, rhymes with give
740 24.11%
I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons.
297 9.68%
Voters: 3069. You may not vote on this poll

Test Subject
#201 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 8:06 AM
Live as in Give, always. Buy in buy mode. Build in build mode. Liv(e) in liv(e) mode! The long i doesn't sound right to me anyway
Advertisement
Test Subject
#202 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cmtrent
So Is this debate like the gif vs jif thing? I really don't understand why they would even ask what pronunciation is better... Its obviously live as in alive

not so obvious especially as I think this started because the people at EA pronounce it as in give.
Alchemist
#203 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 9:53 AM
For me its live mode as in alive. Live mode as in give sounds like incorrect English!

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Test Subject
#204 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 8:30 AM
I didn't even know native speaker have differences about the pronunciation. The ingame translation to German transfers the live mode to Live-Modus using live such as in Live-Konzert (live concert, we stole the live-word from English a long time ago for this) and not such as in to live. This should have been Leben-Modus then. The translator thought of it as live as in alive and so do I because there is no other interpretation option in German.
Test Subject
#205 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 2:09 PM
Default LIve
I figure live is pronounced as in alive because it is the mode.

Buy mode
Build mode
and
Live mode

Of game operation.
Test Subject
#206 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 4:56 PM
I've never given it much thought, actually. I just like to play the game. I would have to agree with Menaceman44, in reference to grammatical consistency, "Live" as "to live" seems more correct. However, it could be seen as "going live", rhyming with "five".
Test Subject
#207 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 9:13 PM
I would think Live as in They Live
Lab Assistant
#208 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simension
I didn't even know native speaker have differences about the pronunciation. The ingame translation to German transfers the live mode to Live-Modus using live such as in Live-Konzert (live concert, we stole the live-word from English a long time ago for this) and not such as in to live. This should have been Leben-Modus then. The translator thought of it as live as in alive and so do I because there is no other interpretation option in German.

It's funny because it is the opposite in french, we say "Mode Vie" , for translation the "live" means "living", so I prononce like "living", "give". If it was live like "alive" this should be "Mode Direct" or "Mode en direct" or something like that and it does not seems appropriate.
Test Subject
#209 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
I has to be as in rhyming with "give".
My reasoning for this is that "build" and "buy" are both "doing" words; they allow you to build and buy respectively.
Therefore, Live mode allows you to live.

I agree. In Spanish it's "vivir", and that is the equivalent to the second option...
Test Subject
#210 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 9:05 AM Last edited by Trig : 3rd Sep 2014 at 9:24 AM.
Live (long i) as all other actions such as build, buy modes, fast forward/s and pause, all take you out of the live broadcast. We are the network producers, we control the cameras and, potentially, what they do and say. We write the main story and the extras are free to improvise.
That's just how I see it.
Based soley on the placement of the buttons Live (short i) is perfectly viable.

Come to think of it, when I look at the word the first thing that pops into my head is Live (long i) so maybe it is word association with the native english speakers.

Meh *shrugs* clicky clicky buttons, dems work den, me likey

edited due to rethinking of something taken for granted...lol, thanks MTS
Test Subject
#211 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nixx802
[QUOTE=CatherineTCJD]WiFi. Of course.
If it were meant to be pronounced as you would hi-fi (high fidelity); then they should've used a "Y". Y-fi.
It's not. It's a "W". As in Wii.

So, therefore, live, as in "live"
[/QUOTE

My aunt lives in Australia and she says everyone over there pronounces it Wee Fee. So you are not alone, my friend.

Nope, that's just your Aunt's area (maybe), most of us pronounce it like hi-fi. No ad has ever said, "..and comes with free wee-fee"

...anyhow, here, have a beer
Test Subject
#212 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 12:15 PM
It's live, rhymes with jive, meaning that it takes place in real time.

Live, rhymes with shiv, meaning the act of not being dead, would be highly inappropriate, considering that the whole point of The Sims is to trap Sims in your basement and leave them to slowly starve to death.
Mad Poster
#213 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 3:03 PM
Live, as in alive.
I guess it's just how you want to pronounce it

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Test Subject
#214 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:59 PM
This is all very entertaining. I picked Option 3 as I do like to click buttons.
Test Subject
#215 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:48 AM
Never gave it a thought: suppose it would be live as in alive.like a news feed.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#216 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 8:52 PM
I say Live like Alive, because the game goes Live, as in active.
Test Subject
#217 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 2:44 AM
Voting for grammatical symmetry
Instructor
#218 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 8:49 AM
I said Live like alive but the there more I think about it, I can't even remember now. Now it's just live as in alive because that seemed like the right answer. I'm going to have to forget this whole incident and somehow offhandedly catch myself in order to know the truth now. lol
Scholar
#219 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 9:08 AM
Just before I hit the Live Mode button, I think, "Live in Five. . . Four. . .", etc. Then I start the Live Broadcast of My Sims Lives.

"If it's in you, it's got to come out."
Simblr
Test Subject
#220 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 5:19 PM
Umm, play it. You play it, you'll know what live mode is. Like what kind of functions do you get?
I'll go load it up soon, play it for a bit, then vote.
Test Subject
#221 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 3:58 AM
im pretty sure its live mode as in "you are the god and you give your sims a chance to live"
Test Subject
#222 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kasje_Haan
I've never given it much thought, actually. I just like to play the game. I would have to agree with Menaceman44, in reference to grammatical consistency, "Live" as "to live" seems more correct. However, it could be seen as "going live", rhyming with "five".

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure it is grammatically more consistent. At first glance it is, but the more I think about it, it doesn't seem right to me. Another poster made a good point that "buy" and "build" are NOT verbs here, and I agree. A verb is an action, an adjective is a descriptor. "Buy" and "build" in this context are adjectives, even though they are traditionally verbs. They are describing the "mode" in this instance. "Live" (rhyming with "give") is never used as an adjective. I can't think of a way to use it as one. It's always a verb. I think that's why "Live" ("give") mode sounds so weird to those of us who say "Live" (as in "alive"). It sounds wrong because it's not consistent with the other two. "Live" ("alive") is an adjective, like "buy" and "build", when put in front of "mode". So, in my opinion, the grammatically correct way to say it, would be "Live Mode" (rhyming with "alive"). I understand why people feel differently, that's just my justification for my own pronunciation. Either way, it doesn't really matter. "Po-tay-toe"/"Po-tah-toe", as others have said.
Page 9 of 9