Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#76 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by angeldukas
Oh and I showed the bf your equation and he claims that it is what he was telling me to do but the diagram he made me looked like this...

Rule number one - your GF/wife is always right
(If I obeyed this myself, maybe I wouldn't be single)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bidou
Rule number one - your GF/wife is always right
(If I obeyed this myself, maybe I wouldn't be single)

HAHAHAHA...finally a man that knows what most. if not all. women already knew.

Please don't laugh at me for being a stupid blonde...it runs in the family.
Test Subject
#78 Old 19th Dec 2004 at 5:35 PM
Okay I have another problem...I got my career ready to go and I really want to upload it but I tested it out in my game and it doesn't show up in the paper or the computer...can someone please tell me what I missed cause I really want to play my career and upload it for others but I can't until I can get it to work.
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 19th Dec 2004 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by angeldukas
Okay I have another problem...I got my career ready to go and I really want to upload it but I tested it out in my game and it doesn't show up in the paper or the computer...can someone please tell me what I missed cause I really want to play my career and upload it for others but I can't until I can get it to work.

Obviously you sould NOT post any careers that are not working in the game.

Did you change the GUID? Try another one, maybe that one is causing a conflict within the game. We don't know which GUIDs the game is already using, so assigning GUIDs to custom stuff is still trial and error. This happened to me just now. I made two careers, one shows up, one doesn't. The GUID I used for the one that doesn't show up is one that I already tried once on a recolored object, and the object hadn't shown up either. A good indication that that GUID cannot be used.

Did you use the TestCareer package or clone an actual career? When using the cloned careers (someone posted files, or you could have cloned your own) I have never been able to figure out how to make it so it doesn't replace the existing career it was based on. But that's just me.

Did you use Debug Mode to see if the career shows up in the newspaper? Without debug mode, you might have to wait a long time before your career showed up in the paper or computer, because the paper gets a random 3 careers daily, and the computer a random 5 daily. There's a chance you could be playing for weeks without seeing yours come up.
Test Subject
#80 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 3:55 AM
I just finished making my first career and it works great, but it has replaced the original and yes i have changed the GUID but my slacker career still doesn't show up. What can I do to fix this problem...Anyone???
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#81 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 4:19 AM Last edited by bidou : 22nd Dec 2004 at 4:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Vanilla
I just finished making my first career and it works great, but it has replaced the original and yes i have changed the GUID but my slacker career still doesn't show up. What can I do to fix this problem...Anyone???

Load the file and confirm that you have changed the GUID (yes I know you said you did - but be absolutley certain)
Also have you changed the groupID number for all the file to 0xFFFFFFFF.
Also have you changed the catalogue description for both English US and English International.
Test Subject
#82 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 6:28 AM
Thanx bidou that fixed the problem... the 0xFFFFFFFF did the trick... thanx again.
#83 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 7:06 AM
If nobody else produces one of these soon, I might have a go.

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#84 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Choco
Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease.

It acutally started - I'm just having trouble intergating into SimPE (oh, and Sid Meier's Pirates is taking up some of my time)
Test Subject
#85 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 1:06 PM Last edited by Dutchy : 22nd Dec 2004 at 1:10 PM.
Load the file and confirm that you have changed the GUID (yes I know you said you did - but be absolutley certain)
Also have you changed the groupID number for all the file to 0xFFFFFFFF.
Also have you changed the catalogue description for both English US and English International.

My experience is that things might work a bit better if you change the GroupID for all the files to the same as your GUID. With one career I had some funny problems, when I had more than 10 levels. Having your own GUID attached to all the files inside the package prevents future problems, after all logic dictates that you should attach the proper GUID to them and not 0xFFFFFFFF.

And NO, PLEASE don't just put the description *only* in the US/UK English, but attach to ALL. That way people with another language than a variation of English can see your texts, allbeit in English. Otherwise they see the original texts which is frankly very annoying if you expect a custom career.
After all, it's just a click on "change all", instead of "change".

Just my thoughts on the matter, keep it simple and compatible.

Cheers,
Dutchy
Test Subject
#86 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 2:59 PM
How exactly do I do that I can't find an ALL in the languages anywhere. - not that it matters anyway, because it's just me whose using it. (I'm sure nobody wants a career in a factory...lol) I just made it because my family all works in factories and i wanted to play my family with the proper jobs.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#87 Old 22nd Dec 2004 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dutchy
My experience is that things might work a bit better if you change the GroupID for all the files to the same as your GUID. With one career I had some funny problems, when I had more than 10 levels. Having your own GUID attached to all the files inside the package prevents future problems, after all logic dictates that you should attach the proper GUID to them and not 0xFFFFFFFF.

The object GUID and the groupID are different things
- the object datas's GUID (global uniqure identifier) must be unique in the game or it will overwrite the old object.
- the groupID is simply a way of grouping files together (I can't think of another way of saying this). And the 0xFFFFFFFF has special meaning in the game, this is how the game marks custom content (more relevant to object you buy than careers, but you probably should use it all the same). By using the wrong groupID, you risk clashing with other things in the game.
Test Subject
#88 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:52 PM
Hmm, I wonder why when using the Custom Content groupID sometimes causes weird effects to happen in Careers. I need to test this more thorougly, but I had one career suddenly jumping from level 1 to 10! (I mean the sim was on level one and after a few sim hours his job description read 10. Maybe beacuse I was in testing modus?)
Instructor
#89 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 5:02 AM
Two questions:

1) How do I change the group ID? I see it there but I can't find the option to change it.

2) For the start hour, do you input the hour your carpool arrives, or the hour it says your sim actually starts work?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#90 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
Two questions:
1) How do I change the group ID? I see it there but I can't find the option to change it.
2) For the start hour, do you input the hour your carpool arrives, or the hour it says your sim actually starts work?

1) Group ids are changed in simPE's packed file tab (the one that's active when you first start simPE). Just type the new group no in the group box and press the change all listed.
2) Hour the sim starts work, not carpool
Instructor
#91 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 5:16 AM
Okay, thanks, forgot there were other tabs!

Whew whoever said this shouldn't take hours was wrong, I've been working on this for about 3 hours now lol. It's worth it tho.
Instructor
#92 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 5:40 AM
Okay, I am confused about using cars and different clothing. I dled the list from the object cloning tutorial, but I can't figure out which ID is which. There are like 10 of every kind of car. Say I wanted to put a helicopter as a vehicle, which one would I use? And which ID from the list would I use? The example is for clothes, and I haven't even started to try to understand that yet. Why does Maxis have to make it so complicated? lol.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#93 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 9:31 AM Last edited by bidou : 30th Dec 2004 at 9:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
Okay, I am confused about using cars and different clothing. I dled the list from the object cloning tutorial, but I can't figure out which ID is which. There are like 10 of every kind of car. Say I wanted to put a helicopter as a vehicle, which one would I use? And which ID from the list would I use? The example is for clothes, and I haven't even started to try to understand that yet. Why does Maxis have to make it so complicated? lol.

Do yourself a favor and get my SimPE career editor plugin from the top of the careers thread. It takes care of all the cars and clothes for you.
The only things it dosn't do are change the groupno, change the object data guid and customise the career graphic

Edit: ignore this - you've already replied in that thread, so you must have it.
Test Subject
#94 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 2:06 PM
Thanks a lot for all of this work, it's helping me to make my first mod for the sims 2 ^^. Now it's the Role-Player career. Nowadays I only have it in Spanish, but I'll translate ASAP. You've made a great "tutorial". Thx!
#95 Old 4th Jan 2005 at 8:59 AM
Thanks For The Tutorial's
Just like to say a quick thank's to ALL the people in this thread.
I've been lurking in the background reading, reading, d/ling, reading & more reading about making custom career's & Simpe.
What number's have to be changed, GroupID's, GUID's, how to change the work day's, salary's & reward's etc, etc & I must say great job to everyone here reading your problem's, question's & answer's has finally made all this binary & techo stuff make sense cheers to all you people who spend countless hour's pioneering in Sims 2 career mod's.

Great plugin for SimPE too Bidou! :jig:

Now armed with all this information & tool's I can get to work on a few of my career idea's. Woot, Woot! :yippee:
#96 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 10:24 PM
Thanks bidou have it working now. just have to try to create a career
Test Subject
#97 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 1:34 AM
Default question
where do i find the career files in my game because i just downloded a few carrers and i want to try them out in the game
Test Subject
#98 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 6:27 PM
Jobs and Aspirations
While looking into Careers I ran across different references for the aspirations and what job.

The Aspirations are located in the instance 0x013E

are as follows (what I have decoded)

0x00 unknown
0x01 Romance
0x02 Family
0x03 Fortune
0x04 Grow Up
0x05 Popularity
0x06 Knowledge
0x07 unknown

I followed the aspirations from the careers....creating a list of known jobs for what aspirations are chosen. Then I noticed that 2 were not really used, 0x02 and 0x04. So I had to begin again...and rememberd that for Baby/Toddler/Child GrowUp was an aspiration. So I began to look into the GrowUp BHav and followed the code. Sure enough there it was. It is located at Group 0x7fd46cd0 with Instance 0x0351 and following the "Aspiration - Get Level" called by the GrowUp BHAV. And since when you turn into an Adult you don't get that Aspiration anymore, since you have lifelong aspirations after that. As for the 0x08, 0x09....probably left for future aspiratons in the upcomming expansion packs. :D
Test Subject
#99 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 4:20 PM
hello all,

I have a question in regard to the days of the week going to work. For the first level in my career (theatre) a sim should work every day but Monday. However, in game it's showing up as every day but Saturday. I followed the "code" that was given earlier in the thread but am screwing up somewhere. Is there any way someone can either send me a message or post here giving me maybe a more specific example to follow? Sorry for the trouble, just would like to figure out how to crack this so I can upload it!

Also, can someone direct me to how I should add bonuses when a sim gets a promotion? Thank you in advance for your help!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#100 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by elw76
hello all,

I have a question in regard to the days of the week going to work. For the first level in my career (theatre) a sim should work every day but Monday. However, in game it's showing up as every day but Saturday. I followed the "code" that was given earlier in the thread but am screwing up somewhere. Is there any way someone can either send me a message or post here giving me maybe a more specific example to follow? Sorry for the trouble, just would like to figure out how to crack this so I can upload it!

Also, can someone direct me to how I should add bonuses when a sim gets a promotion? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Bonuses are double the new salary - can't change this.
My guess is that your've got the order wrong - I'll make it simple as I can
Monday = 1
Tuesday = 2
Wednesday = 4
Thursday = 8
Friday = 16
Saturday = 32
Sunday = 64

so every day but monday is T + W + T + F + S + S = 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 32 + 64 = 126
every day but saturday = M + T + W + T + F + Su = 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 64 = 95

It's easier to use the career editor from the careers forum thou
Locked thread
Page 4 of 6