Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 7:45 PM
Default Way to update custom content for the newest game version patch
So I have a quite a few cc items that have not been updated in ages. The creators of said content just don't seem to be active anymore in the sims 3 community. In fact many of the sites no longer exist. So I was hoping to find some sort of utility that could be used to update these .package files. I searched using sims 3 custom content update as well as a few variations on that theme with no results and didn't see anything(of course my search criteria might not have been adequate since I really am not even sure what exactly I'd be looking for). If there is a current tool that may not be specifically for this purpose but would serve to accomplish my goal just point me in that direction and I'm sure I'll figure it out from there. In the absence of a tool I'm wondering if there is a relatively simple way to do it myself. Much of this content I've had for ages kept in a folder even when I didn't have the game installed because I knew I might revisit the game and would want the content I'd collected. So again I'm just hoping for a way that I as someone with almost no experience modding can update old cc .package files for use in my up to date game. This is probably a really simple question with a really simple answer that I've managed to over complicate and I apologize for taking up time if that is the case.
Thanks in advance and I really hope I have this in the right place. Despite reading the guide I always still worry that I missed something and screwed up...
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 8:32 PM
Some may not need updating, unless it's so old that it was never updated for Pets. This would tend to include CAS items, un-scripted objects, etc.

The rest would need to be updated on a case by case basis. There was a tool to update CC for Pets, because there was a universal change that needed to be made to objects. But that was the only time that there was a universal change, so it was the only time there was a tool to handle it.

Note that the nobuildsparkles and the nointro files in the Framework Setup folder (which are used to test installation and to show you where your packages should go) have not needed to be updated in years.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 9:46 PM
Just to clarify you are referring to custom content meaning, objects, CAS clothing and accessories, etc. As Ghost sdoj explained some may not need updating with the possible exception of the Pets EP. The 1.69 patch as I understand had no impact on custom content.

If you are referring to Mods defined as programs/tools that alter the way the game is played depending upon the type of Mod some may need updating if you have not updated in awhile. It's always good to check where you downloaded a particular mod to make sure you have a mod that functions with the patch you have. The new patch did not impact script mods.

However, 1.69 did impact core mods.
The commonly used core mods as identified in the NRaas Patch 1.69 Document are:
NRaas ErrorTrap -Update is available Here. Future versions of ErrorTrap will be released for both Patch 1.67 and Patch 1.69 in parallel.
NRaas UntranslatedKey - No update available but this mod is generally for developers use.
CMarNYC's XCAS full version - An update is available at Mod the Sims for Patch 1.69 players.
Consort's 2X Weight&Fitness - An update is available at Mod the Sims for Patch 1.69 players. (New as of 17-APR-2016)
AwesomeMod - No update available. If Awesome is in play, be advised that there is a specific procedure to go through to remove it, at least for ongoing saves.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 11:10 PM
I am referring to objects and such. Not mods. I tend to avoid too many of those. I only recently re installed sims 3 and all of my expansion packs and I just got a couple I had not had at the time I played last. Pets is indeed one of those so might be the reason for the issues with some cc not behaving in game. I will grab that errortrap and see what it finds. where do I get that pets specific tool? Is it here on mod the sims?
Thanks for the info very helpful!!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 11:34 PM Last edited by barbarat : 25th Jul 2016 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added Link For Overwatch
Quote: Originally posted by wiccadwitch
I am referring to objects and such. Not mods. I tend to avoid too many of those. I only recently re installed sims 3 and all of my expansion packs and I just got a couple I had not had at the time I played last. Pets is indeed one of those so might be the reason for the issues with some cc not behaving in game. I will grab that errortrap and see what it finds. where do I get that pets specific tool? Is it here on mod the sims?
Thanks for the info very helpful!!

Error Trap is not Expansion Pack specific. It is an essential mod in that it keeps your game healthy and will generate script errors that can be read by the folks over at NRaas to help pinpoint game conflicts.
For information and a download link for 1.69 see Error Trap For 1.69 Here
Another tool I strongly suggest you install is Overwatch. You do not need to do anything but install it. See what this mod does Automatically See This Page. This is not a core mod and works with both 1.67 and 1.69 patches.

NRaas Error Trap and Overwatch provide a lot of game clean up. Error Trap does save game clean up and reports any game errors and Overwatch makes corrections of persistent or recurring errors produced by the Core game or other mods, resets sims and objects as well as performing nightly clean up when playing.

Hope this helps you out.

Edit: Sorry, I neglected to give you the link for the Overwatch Main Page and Download Link
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 1:30 AM
The tool was called Rig Fix by granthes. However, his homepage is defunct, maybe someone has a working link?
This tool doesn't work for beds and bathtubs, though. You'd have to fix these manually with S3PE, which, truth be told, is a major PITA (not S3PE, but manually fixing these two object categories ).