Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 2:54 PM
Default Blueprint Overrides
well, like the title says, i'm looking to make my own buyable overrides of the blueprints that comes from the drafting table. I've tried this past few days but all I've accomplished so far is prepare the blueprint for hanging. Well, i can hang it on the wall but there's nothing on it. So, can anyone teach me how to? Plus why's the blueprint only have the exercise machine texture? where's the rest stored?...
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 11:35 PM
I'm not certain I understand what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to make a standalone wall hangings out of the blueprints?

I see several drafting table images in the My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Paintings folder.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 2:09 AM
hey MSD! oh, those are not the ones, they're not standalones. I'm looking to make overrides again.
they're the ones you produce when you "Draft Blueprint" on the SIM series Drafting Table Career Reward. The blueprints produced randomizes on:
  • Car Blueprint
  • Piano Blueprint
  • An Exercise Machine Blueprint
  • The Weathernaught 57X Blueprint
And some other blueprints I can't remember. I particularly need the cars blueprint since the lot i'm making it a rundown garage, but getting all of them would be sweet.

The blueprints are actually called "Technical Drawings" in SimPE and it's just a piece of blank paper. When i check the texture for blueprints, only the one for the exercise machine is present. I hope that came out clear enough...
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 12:53 AM
I am still a little uncertain about what behavior you are intending to override.

The blueprint textures you are talking about do not seem to be stored in the "paper" object nor in the drafting table itself. From what I can see, the drafting table spawns the "paper/canvas" object then uses a BHAV ([prim 0x006D] Change Material) and Text list with the names of the textures (which seem to simply exist in the game's core files) to make the paper take on the specified texture.

Rather than trying to make these drawings buyable or otherwise placeable, if I were you, I would extract the mesh of the "paper/canvas" object and the textures. Then I would clone a painting and give it a new GUID to make a standalone object. Then I would replace the mesh and texture of that painting with what you extracted. Since they would use the same mesh, you could just make recolors for the other blueprint textures (this will save you from using additional GUIDs and reduce catalog clutter ). That seems like a simpler approach to me.

I found the image files for the blueprints in ....\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSData\Res\3D\Objects07.package

Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 3:36 PM
sorry for taking so long to reply, MSD. work kinda picked up and i wanted to try out what you said first before posting.

ok so i did what you said but when I remove the CC the object disappears from the lot. but when you gave me the location of the textures, i had an idea. before posting here for help one of my earlier efforts was creating a BHAV called "Hang" the went like this:
Code:
Expression: Stack Object ID := My Object ID
Run 'Prepare for Hanging'
Change Material (to what texture i need it to be)

my main problem is the last line. i don't know how to link up to a texture that far. most of the "Change Material" examples i see are calling textures inside the package file itself. this one, however is in the games core. and it's not impossible either as it happens in-game.

also, i know i've said that i would like to be able to use all of the textures and you may think this will pose a problem. i don't think i wouldn't be a problem. once i learn how to link up to one of the textures, i can just re-edit the package file over and over again till i have posted all the blueprints i need in my lot. although a function to randomize the textures would be sweet but as of now i just want it as simple as it can be...
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 9:39 PM
My experience with the Change Material BHAV is limited. As far as I know, simply using the name of the texture in the Text List entry would be sufficient, just as it is with effects, sounds, and animations. But, IMO the simplest approach would just be to create the paintings and include them in your lot.

Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 3:13 AM
I know but is there a way to make it behave as an override? like if i remove that CC the lot will still have the blueprint? sorry, if i sound like i'm trying to be stubborn.

hmm, i think i need to study the Change Material a lot more. the thing about it is it's wizard isn't what i expected it to be. i thought i would get to browse .jpgs and .lifos in it. lol! will update if i get anything...
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#8 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 3:41 AM
I suppose you could make them (temporarily) buyable so that they could be placed and have the game call the Change Material BHAV on placement, similar as your "Set As Dirty" toilets. Once they are placed, the blueprints would not need to be remain buyable in the catalog.

Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 5:53 PM
i did all i could think of. the "Change Material" has an odd list of textures that most aren't even recognized by the program. i've attached a picture of my SimPE. i tried to show everything as much as i could. when i manually put in a number, as you can see, an 8, it accepts it somehow but the texture still doesn't change. i don't even know "blueprint03" is. they're all numbered form 01-06. but the textures i need inside the core files are numbered "010, 011, 020, 021, 030, 031" and so forth. probably that's my problem: these 01-06 textures are all blank. but i don't know how to link up to the textures i need.

here's the details of the car blueprint, just in case it helps:
Code:
Name:	 accessorytabledraftingpaper-blueprint010_lifo
Type: 	 0xED534136
Group:	 0x1C0532FA
Instance:0xE0F6107E
Instance:0xFFAC2A38

i need to get some sleep. been at it for hours now...
Screenshots
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#10 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 6:15 PM
I am not sure the line number would matter in this case, just the texture name. As I said, my experience with the "Change Material" BHAV is limited, especially with referencing textures located outside the local package file.

Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 2:14 PM
sorry. was out of town for work. I'm just not sure how to use the name of the texture. The "change material's" asks for an integer instead of a string. I tried to trace the drafting itself some nights ago, maybe it contains the code that replaced the paper's texture. But that thing is damn hard to trace, tons BHAVs. you wouldn't happen to know anyone who's experienced in "change material"?...
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 1:28 AM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 5th Feb 2014 at 2:19 AM.
The texture names are taken from the lines in the text list resource (0x00000088). The integer the BHAV is expecting is that of the line number within that text list.
So in your package's text list, you might have
0x0 TextureNameOne
0x1 TextureNameTwo
0x2 TextureNameThree

If you want to use TextureNameTwo, the line number you would want to give the BHAV is 0x1.

ETA: Make a clone of the "Accessory - Drafting Table - Drawing." In the Object Workshop, you can do an "Open by GUID" with the GUID of 0xD3FD6262. That will have the blue print textures as well as the "Material Names" Text list file you would need.

Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
ETA: Make a clone of the "Accessory - Drafting Table - Drawing." In the Object Workshop, you can do an "Open by GUID" with the GUID of 0xD3FD6262. That will have the blue print textures as well as the "Material Names" Text list file you would need.

I think I just became an idiot or something but I can't see "Accessory - Drafting Table - Drawing!" I did see that pencil. Did you mean that?...
Screenshots
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#14 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 12:31 AM
I couldn't find it in the Object workshop either to be honest. I opened the objects.package for Free Time to find it and get its GUID. If you use the "Open by GUID" option, you don't need to find it in the list to clone it.

Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 4:04 PM
oh man, i can't find that "Open by GUID" option. I'm really sorry MSD. All i get is Open and Start. I also checked in the preferences...
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#16 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 12:01 AM
Go to "Extra" then "Preferences."
Check the Advanced Mode check box and restart SimPE.

Your Object Workshop will have a new section.

Copy/Paste the GUID I gave you into the second textbox and click the "Open by GUID" button.

Tumblr
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 2:58 PM
done it! turns out should've cloned that object in the first place.
I had to do some figuring out though because the texture wasn't showing. turns out it has 3 meshes: drawing, revealayer and frame, with drawing and revealayer being on top of one another. i set drawing and revealayer with the same blueprint texture and it worked. it also behaves as an override so wouldn't need the CC on upload.

I do have to manually edit the material on SimPE though to get the other textures but it's not much of a concern now, so long as it works.

thanks guys. thanks MSD! lot be out in a couple of days...

PS: uh, you can delete the thread now if want to...
Site Helper
#19 Old 8th Feb 2014 at 5:10 PM
We prefer to leave threads available, so that the next person who wants this info can find it.