Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#76 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:20 AM
ClicknPsycho, the Thanks button is already on the download tab.

porky, the reason you get that permission denied page when you go to that URL is becuase you do not have an invitation to that particular group.

I can't see an invite number 26 in the database... hence why you get the permission denied trying to remove it (it shouldn't even appear in the list).

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 3:17 PM
[QUOTE=Delphy]ClicknPsycho, the Thanks button is already on the download tab.

"Was that always there?" said the blind man.

ClicknPsycho
Test Subject
#78 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 5:38 PM
Thank you very much for the new shinies!!! I love the new clean tab views. I used to get really tired of scrolling forever just to get where I was going. I also am very glad for the new social groups.

Thank you.

Crys

Carpe Nocturne -- Seize the Night!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#79 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 5:41 PM
ClicknPsycho, not always. Only since the Thanks button was put on originally so... about 3 years.

Instructor
#80 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Here's an interesting statistic for those of you who don't like the new view becuase you keep having swap back and forth to check the photos:

Number of downloads with 1 file attached: 46,881
Number of downloads with 2 files attached: 7,217
Number of downloads with 3 files attached: 2,589
Number of downloads with 4 files attached: 2,095
Number of downloads with 5 files attached: 1,255
Number of downloads with 6+ files attached: 3,120

Percentage of downloads on the site with only 1 file: 74%

So, 3 times out of 4 you probably wont even need to switch back and forth.

One file to download often contains many files after extraction, such as parts of a set, or multiple recolours of the same mesh. I would say most files on MtS2 are like that. In that case, if you do not want all, you still need to go back to the first tab to check which ones to delete.
Also I feel many creators just love comments. As a downloader, I am less inclined to give them that if I have to make another click to do so, or have to click to check out if anyone has made comments before, rather than having a chance to spot an interesting comment at the bottom of the page. Maybe having just the last comment show up plus a button to display comments would accomplish the balance between server load and comment exposure?
Just my 2 cents, really. With the option to keep the former layout, as well as benefit from the new features, it's all good.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 6:53 PM
Thanks Delphy, I'm such a doughnut I've been searching for the CEP Lists to Download and I've just noticed the CEP Searchable at the bottom of your post.

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Thanks
Ange
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#82 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 7:21 PM
Gwenke, the thing with comments is that even in the OLD view the comments did not display automatically - you still had to click to show them. So that has not changed. The only difference (as I have mentioned previously) is between scroll down + click and click + click. Thats all.

Not actually evil.
#83 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 7:31 PM
The only difference (as I have mentioned previously) is between scroll down + click and click + click. Thats all.
True. Would be nice though if it was just one click (Comments tab), not two (Comments tab, click to show comments).
*Cat runs away and hides before Delphy can throw a pineapple at her...*

Really like most of the other tabs. Hope the instructions tabs will cut down on the number of users asking "how do I download" and "how do I install". Will it affect traffic to the FAQs, I wonder?

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
#84 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 8:29 PM
Yes, that sounds like an idea. For those of us who, like me, have Always Display Comments enabled, the comments not only are already there when the Comments tab is clicked, the page comes up with the Comments tab already showing. For those who do NOT have Always Display Comments enabled, could the Comments tab be rewritten to reload the page WITH COMMENTS, with the Comments tab showing, like it always does for me? In other words, move the functionality of the link that [I presume] is displayed when the Comments tab is clicked into the Comments tab itself.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#85 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
True. Would be nice though if it was just one click (Comments tab), not two (Comments tab, click to show comments).

Thats why there is an option in Edit Options (and referred to on that comments tab) that allows you to always show comments. (That option has been there for a LONG time)

Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOD
Yes, that sounds like an idea. For those of us who, like me, have Always Display Comments enabled, the comments not only are already there when the Comments tab is clicked, the page comes up with the Comments tab already showing. For those who do NOT have Always Display Comments enabled, could the Comments tab be rewritten to reload the page WITH COMMENTS, with the Comments tab showing, like it always does for me? In other words, move the functionality of the link that [I presume] is displayed when the Comments tab is clicked into the Comments tab itself.

Why would you always want to view the comments by default? Surely the rest of the download information and files is just as important. Sorry but it doesn't make sense to change the Always Show Comments option to default to showing the comments tab.

I could probably split out the comments via Ajax but that will take some time, and I've had issues with Ajax before due to the multi-server setup.

#86 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:20 PM
Delphy, I`m having so much difficulty understanding your response to my comment that I think you didn`t understand me in the first place.

I have the Always Display Comments option turned on, myself, so what I`m proposing will not affect me.

What I`m suggesting is that when someone that has Always Display Comments turned off clicks on the Comments tab, that instead of displaying whatever it is you have displayed for those people, it reload the thread with the same page that it automaticaly gives me. For people who have Always Display Comments turned off, what LOOKS like a Comments **tab** would really be a Display Comments **link**, identical in function to the link that I presume already comes in the Always Display Comments Off version of the tab.

"Why would you always want to view the comments by default?" I nearly always read the comments anyway, so I enabled your option to Always Display Comments.

"Surely the rest of the download information and files is just as important. Sorry but it doesn't make sense to change the Always Show Comments option to default to showing the comments tab." It certainly is. I`m not asking you to make Always Show Comments behave like I described; rather, I discribed how it already works for **ME**. In fact, I have a mild DISlike for the way the page always opens to the Comments tab, when in fact I often [but not always] want to see the Overview page first.

"I could probably split out the comments via Ajax but that will take some time, and I've had issues with Ajax before due to the multi-server setup." Again, a mis-understanding. I am suggesting making the Always Display Comments Off *tab* **replace the page** by loading the Always Display Comments On version of the same page, instead of providing a link inside the content-display area that does the same thing.

Not actually evil.
#87 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:46 PM
Thats why there is an option in Edit Options (and referred to on that comments tab) that allows you to always show comments. (That option has been there for a LONG time)
*Cat needs a memory upgrade*

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#88 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 1:32 AM
GeneralOD, what are you talking about that the "page always loads the comments tab"? It does no such thing unless you are going to it through New Posts (the goto=newpost). On a normal download browse page it shows the Overview first. So it certainly doesn't work like you describe all the time.

What you are describing would not be "Always show comments" but actually "Always load comments" since the only difference is in the page refresh.

#89 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 2:53 AM
Delphy, I almost **ALWAYS** go to threads from New Posts [except when I go there from Subscriptions, which does the same thing because I click on the buttons there that MAKE it do that], so it almost **ALWAYS** works that way for me. I have made no secret of the fact that I practicaly LIVE on the New Posts page.

Regardless, I think that clicking on the Comments tab when the Comments aren`t already loaded should just load them, even if the page has to reload to do so. Furthermore, I deduce from previous comments that many people agree with me. However, this does not affect me, personally, as I have "Always Show Comments" enabled anyway.

Test Subject
#90 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 12:03 PM
the changes are great....i love it....
i dont know if u have somewhere that i can ask the questions...but i am gonna ask here if its not a problem....
my question is: if there gonna be on mothesims2 something for sims3 ,like objects and stuff...Cause that would be great idea to create the stuff for sims3 on this page...

have nice day...

mary
Test Subject
#91 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 4:16 PM
I love the changes. Especially to the downloads section.
Test Subject
#92 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 7:32 PM
Hi there. I'm usually pretty quiet around here. I come in, I look, I learn, and I download. There are so many great creators here!

I just want to say I like the new look. The tabs are great. The pages load faster, (I have dial-up so it can take a long time for a lot of information), and the information is more compact.

Thanks for all the time and work put into this place. :D
Field Researcher
#93 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:41 PM
Delphy, I have to agree with Porkypine that something is borked with the Social Groups.

I made a public one, I can post, others can post, there is no problems.

I made a private one (work area for the public one) and went to make an initial thread. I hit the preview button to check the text and I got the "you do not have permission to access this page" spiel. I have not tried to send invites because I wanted to have at least one post there first. If I can't access my own social group, then who can?

~Corsetcrush
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#94 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:55 PM Last edited by Delphy : 10th Jan 2009 at 11:03 PM.
I just checked posting a new thread in a private group and the preview option worked fine.

What exactly are you having problems with?

Not actually evil.
#95 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 11:36 PM
Social Groups
I'm able to join and post in public groups.
I successfully created a private group with a thread for test purposes.
Invited porkypine, hope that might help sort out some of the private group invite issues.

Delphy - do you want / need to create a tester's thread about this or is discussion about it in this thread sufficient? Any specific stuff I should be testing w.r.t groups?

The group name drop down list box font is too big for me, see below.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#96 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 12:16 AM
Mkay changed that dropdown to radio buttons.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#97 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 12:35 AM
Okay I've changed the behaviour of the Comments tab to as follows:

- The option "Always Show Comments" has been renamed to "Always Load Comments"
- Guests and users that have "Always Load Comments" set to OFF will now have a link instead of a tab switch that will refresh the page with comments loaded.
- Users that have "Always Load Comments" set to ON will get the normal tab switch immediately load as they do now.

Thanks to GeneralOD for the implementation suggestion, and others for the comments.

#98 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 12:46 AM
"Thanks to GeneralOD for the implementation suggestion, and others for the comments."

::blush:: Awww, thank *you* for *everything*!

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#99 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 10:49 AM
One minor inconvenience with the social group interface is that I had to join a group before I could get into the "lobby" of the social group forums and read the posts from people advertising their groups. Ideally I would have liked to look around the lobby before choosing a group to join.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 12:36 PM
I like the new site, but I would like to know how I can cancel my membership, as I can find no way of contact but through leaving a message here.
Page 4 of 6