Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Custom Launcher with Package Management [Obsolete]

by granthes Posted 6th Jul 2010 at 6:50 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:58 PM by Nysha

445 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:26 AM Last edited by Emmies : 18th Sep 2010 at 4:24 PM.
Okay, I've installed the new version and no more hiccups!
It's so much faster than combining the packages manually, and neater too. Thanks for speeding up my sims game and helping me organise my CC!

To anyone who wants to organise their CC, I highly recommend this program. :D
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:41 AM
Looks promising. Thank you.
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 9:10 AM
Oh great I'm going to try this.. funny I'm just quite annoyed because I have done combining of packages with S3PE just two days ago..
Test Subject
#5 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:35 AM
This is really something I have been looking for since... yesterday (when I finally got my "Ambitions" and found myself buried under a mass of packages in wrong place because I was running patch 1.11.7 before). Lucky me - thanks to you.
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 12:08 PM
Great idea! Unfortunately I can't see my packages and it crashes, when I'm clicking on "rebuild"

Let's have some fu(n)!
Forum Resident
#7 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 12:19 PM
Looks very useful, i'll give it a try.

-> My "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" Sims: > CLICK <
-> "My Fav music" playlist: >> Listen <<
-> Liquid Drum & Bass at it's best: > Liquicity <
-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyFu
Great idea! Unfortunately I can't see my packages and it crashes, when I'm clicking on "rebuild"

I've got the same problem.

A friend whose hopes we cannot satisfy is a friend we would rather have as an enemy.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Field Researcher
#9 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:05 PM
looks promising,
i hope this turns out well, as it will make things much easer.
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:07 PM
Sadly, I cannot even get it to open. It keeps saying an error has occurred and windows is checking for a solution. I installed the framework. So, I am not sure what the issue could be on opening it. I have tried opening it as administrator and regularly, still no dice.
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:52 PM
Sounds great ! I will give it a try and keep an eye out for updates. THANK YOU
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmies
This is fantastic. One question though, once you'e combined the packages can you still see what's in them and uninstall items individually?

Well i've haven't used this Tool yet but i have combined packages with S3PE to boost loading before.

After compining you can't simple remove or update one Package.
So thats why you shouln't combine hacks.
I have compined all my hairs, cars, objects ... each in one file, because i know that i am not going to want to delete a single one.

So keep the single packages somewhere and create a new large package if you want to delete something, or just keep everything and add new packages in the specific folders until they reach a specific count where they are worth to be combined.

btw, it looks like this in my Package folder.
Quote:
27M Combined/Accessory1.package
448K Combined/Adult1.package
101M Combined/Cars1.package
26M Combined/Clothing1.package
34M Combined/Grounds1.package
275M Combined/Hair1.package
122M Combined/Objects1.package
94M Combined/Patterns1.package
91M Combined/Unsorted.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastDepth.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastDistance.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastFullness.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastScale.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastVertical.package
312K hair/afHairHatStylistBarette.package
552K hair/afHairHatStylistSweep.package
1.6M hair/afHairStylistBarettenoband.package
620K hair/afHairStylistFrenchTwist.package
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:34 PM
Does this work on a Mac OSX?
Test Subject
#14 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:25 PM
Can support multiple languages?
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (English)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\De Sims 3 (German)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3 (Spanish)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\模擬市民3 (Chinese-Traditional)
Forum Resident
#15 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:50 PM
Default questions
First, thank you for the time and effort you put into this. But I have a few questions.

Your first feature "Validates and Installs or Repairs the Mod Framework on each run". Then at the end you tell people to "Please be sure to back up your Mods directory under Program Files as well as your Downloads and Installed directories under My Documents." Maybe I am just confused but Mods directory no longer goes in Program Files. It goes in C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. With the Mods folder in this directory ALL custom content shows up correctly with the little folder icon. It sounds like your launcher replacement will change that back to the way it used to be. Is that right? :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:01 PM
This is fantastic. One question though, once you'e combined the packages can you still see what's in them and uninstall items individually?

Nevermind. I can't use it. It freezes on rebuild.

Quote: Originally posted by Will's Girl
I've got the same problem.

Quote: Originally posted by modifieddesire
Sadly, I cannot even get it to open. It keeps saying an error has occurred and windows is checking for a solution. I installed the framework. So, I am not sure what the issue could be on opening it. I have tried opening it as administrator and regularly, still no dice.

Emmies, WIll's Girl and modifeddesire, can you enable logging and PM me the log file, please. Also, let me know what version of Windows you are using and if it is 32bit or 64bit.

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Legodev
Well i've haven't used this Tool yet but i have combined packages with S3PE to boost loading before.

After compining you can't simple remove or update one Package.
So thats why you shouln't combine hacks.
I have compined all my hairs, cars, objects ... each in one file, because i know that i am not going to want to delete a single one.

So keep the single packages somewhere and create a new large package if you want to delete something, or just keep everything and add new packages in the specific folders until they reach a specific count where they are worth to be combined.

That is one of the advantages to using a launcher to do the combination. With the launcher, you individually change what packages are enabled and re-build the combined package files automatically.

The program never deletes a package, it just moves it into the <Documents>/The Sims 3/Installed/Launcher folder. If you later choose to disable a package, just uncheck the box next to it in the list and the next time it re-builds, the game won't see that package.

Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakura4
Can support multiple languages?
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (English)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\De Sims 3 (German)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3 (Spanish)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\模擬市民3 (Chinese-Traditional)

I currently only support the English language folder structure.

If you (or anyone) can provide the language name and exact string for the folder name, I will enable support in the next version of the software I release.

For example, I would need:
Code:
en_US  Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ 

I expect to release a new version of the software later this weekend to address any such issues that come up.

Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
First, thank you for the time and effort you put into this. But I have a few questions.

Your first feature "Validates and Installs or Repairs the Mod Framework on each run". Then at the end you tell people to "Please be sure to back up your Mods directory under Program Files as well as your Downloads and Installed directories under My Documents." Maybe I am just confused but Mods directory no longer goes in Program Files. It goes in C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. With the Mods folder in this directory ALL custom content shows up correctly with the little folder icon. It sounds like your launcher replacement will change that back
to the way it used to be. Is that right? :lovestruc

Thanks for catching that!
I released the first test version of this software the Day Before Ambitions released. That warning is a left-over from then.

I'll update the readme and notes about this issue when I upload the next version of the software.

Test Subject
#20 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:39 PM
Also of note that when mods are installed under /My Documents/Electronics Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/ as of Ambitions and the latest patch the framework dll is no longer required.

It is still required for those who have not updated to the latest patch or Ambitions and still need to keep their mods under /Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ or those who have updated but for whatever reason do not wish to move their mods over to My Documents.
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GreyGhost
Also of note that when mods are installed under /My Documents/Electronics Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/ as of Ambitions and the latest patch the framework dll is no longer required.

It is still required for those who have not updated to the latest patch or Ambitions and still need to keep their mods under /Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ or those who have updated but for whatever reason do not wish to move their mods over to My Documents.

Excellent point.

Also of note, the launcher is only for those who do have Ambitions or the June patch.

Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bestock
Does this work on a Mac OSX?

Unfortunately, this only works on Windows machines at the current time.

I don't have access to a Mac, so I can't do any development for that platform.

Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:33 PM
It was brought to my attention that I've neglected to provide instructions on how to "Enable Logging".

Well, here we go.

The way to enable logging for the Custom Launcher is this:

First, you need to create a short-cut to the program if you don't have one already. To do this, find the S3Launcher.exe then right-click and drag the file and choose create shortcut.

Next, right click on your new shortcut and choose properties.

In the box named Target, add the following to the end of the line.
Code:
 /LOG:5
Be sure to include a space before the "/"

Finally, click the OK button to save your changes.

Now when you run the launcher, by clicking on the new shortcut, it will create a log file for you. This file will be called S3Launcher.log and will be in the same folder as the S3Launcher.exe from the first step.

If you need more help with creating a short-cut, :google: windows create shortcut for some good articles.

If you are seeing an error, you can post the last few (5 - 10) lines of the log and that should tell me what is going wrong.

Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:39 PM Last edited by Sakura4 : 7th Jul 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by granthes
I currently only support the English language folder structure.

If you (or anyone) can provide the language name and exact string for the folder name, I will enable support in the next version of the software I release.

For example, I would need:
Code:
en_US  Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ 

I expect to release a new version of the software later this weekend to address any such issues that come up.

en_US Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
cs_CZ Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
da_DK Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
nl_NL Electronic Arts\De Sims 3\
fi_FI Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
fr_FR Electronic Arts\Les Sims 3\
de_DE Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3\
el_GR Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
hu_HU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
it_IT Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
ja_JP Electronic Arts\ザ・シムズ3\
ko_KR Electronic Arts\심즈 3\
no_NO Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pl_PL Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pt_BR Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pt_PT Electronic Arts\Os Sims 3\
ru_RU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
es_ES Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3\
es_MX Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
sv_SE Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
th-TH Electronic Arts\เดอะซิมส์ 3\
zh_CN Electronic Arts\模拟人生3\
zh_TW Electronic Arts\模擬市民3\
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakura4
* is confirmed

* en_US Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
cs_CZ Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
da_DK Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
* nl_NL Electronic Arts\De Sims 3\
fi_FI Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
* fr_FR Electronic Arts\Les Sims 3\
* de_DE Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3\
el_GR Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
hu_HU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
it_IT Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
* ja_JP Electronic Arts\ザ・シムズ3\
* ko_KR Electronic Arts\심즈 3\
no_NO Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pl_PL Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
pt_BR Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
pt_PT Electronic Arts\Os Sims™ 3\
ru_RU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
es_ES Electronic Arts\Los Sims™ 3\
es_MX Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
sv_SE Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
* th-TH Electronic Arts\ซิมส์ 3\
* zh_CN Electronic Arts\模拟人生3\
* zh_TW Electronic Arts\模擬市民3\

My thanks and appreciation for your assistance.
I'll be working on putting this in later tonight, and hopefully this will be a big improvement.

Again, THANK YOU!!!

--Grant

Test Subject
#26 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 12:02 AM
My thanks and appreciation for your assistance.
I'll be working on putting this in later tonight, and hopefully this will be a big improvement.

Again, THANK YOU!!!

--Grant

I checked again, look at my update.

th-TH amend
Forum Resident
#27 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 12:51 AM
Default Small issues
Thank you so much for the wonderful tool! I have a couple of kinks to be ironed out.

1. The game and ep versions do not show up in the bottom left hand corner.
2. The default for category "+" is expanded it would be much easier if the default was collapsed.
See Screenshots
:lovestruc
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#28 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 12:53 AM Last edited by grillcheesesammich : 7th Jul 2010 at 3:08 AM.
I get an error that the program has crashed before it can even open the interface.
I've installed the .net framework and turned off my firewall( it was blocking EA .exes)
Find attached my log file.
*edit added Vista windows 32bit*
I've been waiting for something like this to come along to make managing CC less time consuming.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S3Launcherlog.zip (3.3 KB, 37 downloads)
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 1:42 AM
Thank you so much for the wonderful tool! I have a couple of kinks to be ironed out.

1. The game and ep versions do not show up in the bottom left hand corner.
2. The default for category "+" is expanded it would be much easier if the default was collapsed.
See Screenshots

Ok. For #1, that looks like something that isn't where the program expects it.

For #2, Excellent point. That is #3 on my todo list now. I'm also planning on re-structuring that part of the screen a little bit to put a Category Filter in.

Expect to see changes to that sometime this weekend.

Forum Resident
#30 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 2:07 AM
Ok. For #1, that looks like something that isn't where the program expects it.
Does the EA Launcher show the icons there? Are you using an english version of the game? Are you on 32-bit or 64-bit windows?

Yes, the EA Launcher shows the the icons there. I am using Windows Vista Premium Home 64 bit.

I have another question. Is this tool supposed to be sorting packages into categories? If it is, it's not doing it. I installed several zips of clothing and they come out uncategorized. Next I tried putting some packages into download folder directly. Still comes out uncategorized. :lovestruc

Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 2:42 AM
Yes, the EA Launcher shows the the icons there. I am using Windows Vista Premium Home 64 bit.

I have another question. Is this tool supposed to be sorting packages into categories? If it is, it's not doing it. I installed several zips of clothing and they come out uncategorized. Next I tried putting some packages into download folder directly. Still comes out uncategorized. :lovestruc

Currently, categorization is Manual Only. Delphy provided me with the code that he uses in his Dashboard program to categorize packages, but I haven't had time to integrate it yet.

For now, just highlight a group of packages and pick a category from the top Categories box. If the category you want isn't there, you can type a new one in and it will be added when you click the set category button.

Also, there seems to be a problem with the sorting on the packages screen. You need to click one of the headers (Name, Category, etc.) to force it to re-sort properly.

BTW: Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

Thanks,

Grant.

Lab Assistant
#32 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 4:46 AM
Do I understand this right.. this will allow me to select which packages to have my game load up? Could this be the answer to my dreams of making a legacy from victorian times to present?
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tilarium
Do I understand this right.. this will allow me to select which packages to have my game load up? Could this be the answer to my dreams of making a legacy from victorian times to present?

Absolutely correct.

Just click the check mark next to each package that you wish to have in the game. Any without a check are not installed.

Test Subject
#34 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 6:33 AM
Does this load any faster than the actual launcher? My launcher takes 3 minutes to open.
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 8BlackBat8
Does this load any faster than the actual launcher? My launcher takes 3 minutes to open.

The time it takes to open either launcher is based on how much *stuff* you have in the downloads folder.

The first time you run the custom launcher, it may take just as long or longer to load. After that, it should load in 10 seconds or less.

The time to launch into the game from either launcher will depend on how much custom content you have added.

Forum Resident
#36 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 7:19 AM Last edited by Winterhart : 7th Jul 2010 at 7:33 AM. Reason: add another issue
Default another small issue
When you change a name or description the "apply" button does not become available until you click on something else. Like if you change a description you have to click on name to get the button. I just added a set of 12 objects and pasted the link in the description. So I had 24 clicks instead of 12. I hope screenshots are helpful. Sometimes I have trouble describing what I am talking about. :lovestruc

**edit**
Set Category and changes to name or description don't stick unless you enable the packages before closing the launcher.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#37 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 11:17 AM
There should be an uninstall button which makes a file go back to the "legacy" (as far as I can see those files are not included in "build" and can be easly removed from the game). "Installed" packages are hard to remove. You have to delete the "build" file and the package from "installed/launcher" to delete it from game and then create a new "build" file. It will be a pain when many packages installed.
Test Subject
#38 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 1:17 PM
wow...great program
what do I need to use the program with the German version can be ?

so sorry for my bad english..i work with the online translator.
Test Subject
#39 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 1:40 PM
Still crashes for me
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 3:20 PM Last edited by SIMCITIZEN4 : 7th Jul 2010 at 3:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hi this is a great program and looks very promising, however everytime I try to do a rebuild it goes as far as creating ModBUILD0 to ModBUILD4 and then throws up a SystemOutOfMemoryException fault which I find very strange as my PC has more than enough memory available. If I reopen Launcher and click on rebuild again it deletes all the ModBUILD packages that it has generated and starts again from scratch, once again getting as far as ModBUILD4 and then crashing.

I really hope you can get this sorted out as I think this program is going to mean a lot to the community.

Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing.
Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zenobia
wow...great program
what do I need to use the program with the German version can be ?

so sorry for my bad english..i work with the online translator.

Non-English compatible versions of the Custom Launcher should be available around 7/10/2010. That is currently being worked on.

Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mertana
There should be an uninstall button which makes a file go back to the "legacy" (as far as I can see those files are not included in "build" and can be easly removed from the game). "Installed" packages are hard to remove. You have to delete the "build" file and the package from "installed/launcher" to delete it from game and then create a new "build" file. It will be a pain when many packages installed.

That is a good idea, and I've added it to my to-do list at #5.

As far as not using an installed package, just un-check it and rebuild, that way the game won't use it.

Instructor
Original Poster
#43 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMCITIZEN4
Hi this is a great program and looks very promising, however everytime I try to do a rebuild it goes as far as creating ModBUILD0 to ModBUILD4 and then throws up a SystemOutOfMemoryException fault which I find very strange as my PC has more than enough memory available. If I reopen Launcher and click on rebuild again it deletes all the ModBUILD packages that it has generated and starts again from scratch, once again getting as far as ModBUILD4 and then crashing.

I really hope you can get this sorted out as I think this program is going to mean a lot to the community.

Thank you for the information about this problem. I know exactly what is causing it and how to fix it, but it requires a change in how I read and write package files. If you have been following the thread, you may have seen things about my to-do list. This is #1 on the list. I expect to have the fix uploaded by 7/10/2010 if all goes moderately well. The change should also drastically speed up the rebuild process.

Instructor
Original Poster
#44 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by richardajoy
Still crashes for me

Please provide more details on how it crashes and I would be happy to look into fixing the error.

Please enable logging as described here and also let me know what version of windows, what language your TS3 is configured for and what process you were doing in the launcher when it crashed.

Thanks,

Grant--

Forum Resident
#45 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 5:45 PM
That is a good idea, and I've added it to my to-do list at #5.

As far as not using an installed package, just un-check it and rebuild, that way the game won't use it.
It would be nice to have a delete package button. (I had some packages last night that crashed the game. It was the packages not the installer. I tested them with Any Game Starter to be sure.) Since I don't want unnecessary stuff on my hard drive I had to delete packages and zip file manually. It wasn't difficult for me because I am comfortable with doing things like that. But for other people it could be a problem. Like mertana, she didn't need to delete the build file. All she needed to do was delete the packages and then rebuild.

Forum Resident
#46 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMCITIZEN4

How many packages do you have? I only have 2 builds at this point. :lovestruc

Test Subject
#47 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 6:38 PM
Non-English compatible versions of the Custom Launcher should be available around 7/10/2010. That is currently being worked on.

oh yes..thank you very much
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 8:24 PM Last edited by gbreez : 7th Jul 2010 at 9:11 PM. Reason: new info
Default oh, and...
Help, please. I am crashing as soon as I start to play, after all is loaded. Every time, so not random. Used to be random when I first got Ambitions some week or 2 ago, before I used your launcher.
OK, here goes My Story:
When I managed to get Ambitions loaded and running, with random crashes, I wanted to get Awesomemod. Spent about a year (it felt like) reading all the posts, warnings, help posts, and various and varied directions, I tried to install it...without success...numerous times with numerous changes (everyone seems to have a different set of directions). I am well trained by the MATYS crew never to speak, so, when I did get it to work, I felt pretty good. Except, EA's launcher would not launch. I did not want it anyway so when I saw yours I grabbed it, Version 1965. Oh, and, previously, I could not get any of my mods to work in Ambitions, even after installing them in documents per instructions Your launcher, after crashing a million times on "build" . finally successfully loaded some of them. It seemed a painstaking process with only fair return. I persisted and managed to get at least some loaded into the game which finally worked, including awesomemod (buckets of sweat and little sleep). This morning I downloaded your new version and now, as soon as the game is loaded and I chose the town and character,and they are loaded, the game crashes. Every time. It may well not be your program . It may or may not be awesomemod. It may be cc, though they were working at one point. What I really need is for Delphy to update the MonkeyBars to AM Dashboard to check for conflict5s and corruption, but he has been busy. OK, done with all the pent-up moaning and whining. Thank you, very much, for all you are doing; it is wonderful. But, could the new version be at fault with my recent crashing? TIA and, again, thanks for all you are doing. It is much appreciated. :lovestruc

Oh, and, much of the cc content previously loaded successfully with your launcher is now missing.
I am using Vista OS with 64 bit. Did download and install the V4 framework.
Instructor
Original Poster
#49 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 9:02 PM Last edited by granthes : 7th Jul 2010 at 9:03 PM. Reason: typos...
Quote: Originally posted by gbreez
Help, please. I am crashing as soon as I start to play, after all is loaded. Every time, so not random. Used to be random when I first got Ambitions some week or 2 ago, before I used your launcher.
OK, here goes My Story:
When I managed to get Ambitions loaded and running, with random crashes, I wanted to get Awesomemod. Spent about a year (it felt like) reading all the posts, warnings, help posts, and various and varied directions, I tried to install it...without success...numerous times with numerous changes (everyone seems to have a different set of directions). I am well trained by the MATYS crew never to speak, so, when I did get it to work, I felt pretty good. Except, EA's launcher would not launch. I did not want it anyway so when I saw yours I grabbed it, Version 1965. Oh, and, previously, I could not get any of my mods to work in Ambitions, even after installing them in documents per instructions Your launcher, after crashing a million times on "build" . finally successfully loaded some of them. It seemed a painstaking process with only fair return. I persisted and managed to get at least some loaded into the game which finally worked, including awesomemod (buckets of sweat and little sleep). This morning I downloaded your new version and now, as soon as the game is loaded and I chose the town and character,and they are loaded, the game crashes. Every time. It may well not be your program . It may or may not be awesomemod. It may be cc, though they were working at one point. What I really need is for Delphy to update the MonkeyBars to AM Dashboard to check for conflict5s and corruption, but he has been busy. OK, done with all the pent-up moaning and whining. Thank you, very much, for all you are doing; it is wonderful. But, could the new version be at fault with my recent crashing? TIA and, again, thanks for all you are doing. It is much appreciated.

This sounds like a combination of several issues.

1) If the custom launcher crashes sometimes but not always, then there is probably a corrupted cc package in your Mods directory.

2) If you get it to launch the game an can select a saved neighborhood to play, but then it crashes when loading that hood there is a cc conflict in that saved hood. If a hood was saved with certain cc files installed and those are later removed, the hood won't load. You should be able to create a new hood just fine.

3) If you are getting crashes in launcher when you hit build, it could be a couple different problems. a) A corrupt package, b) a read-only package, c) a (known) memory bug in my package code.

I hope this helps, and I expect to have an update to the launcher by the weekend to help with 3c above. Delphy gave me access to the source code to his error and conflict detection code, but I have to do major surgery to my code to use it.

If you continue to have issues with the launcher, please enable logging and PM me the log file so I can try and track down the errors.

Thanks,

Grant.

Forum Resident
#50 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 9:15 PM
Default Some more small issues
I do a lot of downloading and I cut and paste links and creator's names into the description. I had been closing the Launcher when I was done withh the download. Today I found bunches of stuff and I thought it was silly to close the Launcher each time. So I tried putting the zips in the download folder and just clicking "Refresh".
The puts the package and zip in the right places, but the package doesn't show up in the Launcher to be categorized. (see screenshots 1 thru 3).

Sometimes files show up duplicated in the Launcher. It is not duplicating them in the packages folder and the duplicate goes away when you close and reopen the Launcher. (see screenshots 12 & 13)

Thanks again for this great tool!
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#51 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 9:21 PM
Default Thank you
TY for your quick and kind response to my post. I will try to figure out if there is some bad cc though I have a moby load of it and it will be time consuming. I have followed your directions to create log, and, will use it when I have something I can send. I look forward to your enhanced launcher with the Delphy code (no pressure implied, much, lol). And, many thanks again for all you are doing. :lovestruc
Instructor
Original Poster
#52 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 9:23 PM
I do a lot of downloading and I cut and paste links and creator's names into the description. I had been closing the Launcher when I was done withh the download. Today I found bunches of stuff and I thought it was silly to close the Launcher each time. So I tried putting the zips in the download folder and just clicking "Refresh".
The puts the package and zip in the right places, but the package doesn't show up in the Launcher to be categorized. (see screenshots 1 thru 3).

Sometimes files show up duplicated in the Launcher. It is not duplicating them in the packages folder and the duplicate goes away when you close and reopen the Launcher. (see screenshots 12 & 13)

Thanks again for this great tool!

Just putting the zips in the download folder is the way it is Supposed to work. However, there is a sneaky bug there and I'm having a *bleep* of a time finding it.

The best work-around right now is to put a bunch of zips or rars in the download folder and run the launcher. Then Exit and re-start. It will rediscover all of the new packages and then you can work with them as normal.

That bug is one on my to-do list too.

BTW, I'm working (right now) on fixing the description and name edit behavior you noticed earlier, so that should be fixed in the next update.

Grant.

Forum Resident
#53 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 11:09 PM
TY for your quick and kind response to my post. I will try to figure out if there is some bad cc though I have a moby load of it and it will be time consuming. I have followed your directions to create log, and, will use it when I have something I can send. I look forward to your enhanced launcher with the Delphy code (no pressure implied, much, lol). And, many thanks again for all you are doing. :lovestruc
I think your problem may be AwesomeMod. I recommend dumping it and getting NRaas SuperComputer and Story Progression mods by Twallan found here:

http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?board=105.0 e

There are several advantages to Twallan's mods they do everything that Awesome^%@# does and more. They are not core mods and Awesome is. Twallan is a kind, generous and above all patient person. No one deserves to be treated the way they treat people at MATY.

There is a program called Process Monitor that tracks and records how files are used as you run your game. This can help you find which file(s) are causing the problem. You can find it and instructions how to use it here:

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...r_.28Windows.29

Delphy's Dashboard may also help and it can be found here:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006

I hope this is helpful.

Sorry for hijacking your thread granthes. :lovestruc

Test Subject
#54 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 1:15 AM
sweet man this is awesome. couldnt get anything to work before i used this. again thanks, and for this awesomeness, you may exchange this reply at a participating location good for 2 free cookies or 1 slice of cake/pie.
Field Researcher
#55 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 1:30 AM
It's working for me now Granthes! I would recommend to users that are having issues to take a good look at their log files because they really helped me figure out my problem.
I had some sims3packs and one bad file that was creating trouble. With your help and the log files I now have the program up and running.
Thank you kindly for this program and your support.
Forum Resident
#56 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 3:18 AM
Default More issues
Here is a step by step of what I did and what happened along with screenshots.

Issue # 1 Data Base Status does not match enabled/disabled package

Put zip file in downloads

Opened Launcher
Screenshot 1 shows Data Base status as 114 packages with 1 disabled

Clicked Packages tab
Screenshot 2 shows
1.Data Base status as 114 packages with 0 disabled
2.Package uncatagorized with box not checked
3.Disable Button Active

Put check mark in box
Screenshot 3 shows
1.Data Base status as 114 packages with 1 disabled
2.Disable Button Active

I got the package catagorized and enabled. Data Base status still showed 114 with 1 disabled.

Issue # 2 Duplicate Packages being processed into the build.

Clicked on Welcome tab
Clicked Refresh Button

Screenshot 4 shows
1.Package file not cleared out
2.Data Base status as 228 packages with 2 disabled

Clicked Refresh button again.
Screenshot 5 shows
1.Package file cleared
2.No changed in Data Base status

I ran Rebuild and took a screenshot every time the Launcher got hung up.
Screenshots 6 – 10 show packages being processed all the way up to build 5

Issue # 3 Program not closing

I went back to the packages tab to see if the original package was enabled or disabled.
It was disabled. I enabled it and ran Rebuild again. Then I realized I didn't really want
to do that with 300+ packages in the Data Base so I clicked on the x close the program.
I got the message “S3 Launcher has stopped working” with options to Check online for
a solution of Close Program. I chose close program. I tried to start the Launcher again
and got the same message. I'm stubborn, so I tried it one more time.
It still gave the same message. I had to shut down and restart my computer
for the Launcher to work again. I needed to run rebuild again. This time it had the correct # of packages.

Issue # 4 Loading time and messed up in game screen.

When I ran my game it took a really, really long time to load.
Screenshot 11 shows in game screen.

I exited the game and ran it again. It loaded quickly (less than 10 seconds) and everything was normal.

I hope I'm not overwhelming you with all the issues and screenshots.
See next post for final screen shot :lovestruc

Forum Resident
#57 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 3:21 AM
Default Final screenshot
I couldn't add all 11 screenshots in 1 post.
Screenshots

Forum Resident
#58 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 7:04 AM
Default Store Content doesn't show up.
I was checking in the EA Launcher for my game versions in relation to an issue I was having with Jonha's "Any Game Starter 3" and discovered that all my Store Content, including Riverview has been uninstalled. Only some of it shows up in the EA Launcher's "Downloads" and what is there shows as not installed. The only thing that shows up in EA Launcher's "Installed Content" is a lot that I downloaded from here. I got into my game and none of it is showing up. I looked in the Downloads folder in Documents and only about half the Sims3Packs that should be in there, are there. This is sort of the last straw for me. I have spent all day yesterday and all day today working with your program. There are just too many issues. I think it will be a wonderful thing if you can get it all to work. If this was my program I would either remove it from downloads and do a lot more testing or at least put a warning that further testing needs to be done. I am doing a complete, clean reinstall of my game. I hope the issues I have reported help you get all the kinks worked out. I will keep checking back for future revisions, but I'm done for now. Sorry. :lovestruc

Lab Assistant
#59 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 8:40 AM
Thank you for the information about this problem. I know exactly what is causing it and how to fix it, but it requires a change in how I read and write package files. If you have been following the thread, you may have seen things about my to-do list. This is #1 on the list. I expect to have the fix uploaded by 7/10/2010 if all goes moderately well. The change should also drastically speed up the rebuild process.

Thank you so much for your reply and the patience that you have with us. I look forward to the new release.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 8:44 AM
How many packages do you have? I only have 2 builds at this point. :lovestruc

Hi Winterhart, I have 89.....I know, lol. I also thought this was the problem so I deleted everything and put one package in (merged with S3PE) and the same thing happened. I also checked everything within the merged packaged and there are no corrupt files either. :P
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 4:25 PM
Winterhart, thank you...I am much enjoying the fresh sweet breezes you and Granthes are bringing to Sims 3 mods and posts. I kinda like it in here.
Also, I, too, have lost all the mods on the EA Launcher. I am currently using it for pack files only, but, I suspect trying to use both launchers may be causing some of my problems. Further, NRaas sounds just the ticket. Can't say I will miss awesomemod or MATYS much.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 7:48 PM
I've checked the thread to see if anyone else had my problem but couldn't find anything. I'm eager to try this out but when I try to start it I get an error message. The title bar reads; 'S3Launcher.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error', with a message stating; 'Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application'.

I have .NET Framework v 4.0 so can't understand why it's saying this. F.Y.O. I'm using Windows 7. Can you possibly help please? Thanks!

Peace
DD

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Field Researcher
#63 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 8:33 PM
Glad to see this uploaded! I'm happy to have been of some help in the testing part of it. Hope you get the ability to work with sims3packs running soon!
Test Subject
#64 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 9:05 PM
I also have windows 7, and have the .net framework 4.0 installed.....how do I get this working? I'm desperate!
Instructor
Original Poster
#65 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Duncan Disorderly
I've checked the thread to see if anyone else had my problem but couldn't find anything. I'm eager to try this out but when I try to start it I get an error message. The title bar reads; 'S3Launcher.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error', with a message stating; 'Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application'.

I have .NET Framework v 4.0 so can't understand why it's saying this. F.Y.O. I'm using Windows 7. Can you possibly help please? Thanks!

Peace
DD

Quote: Originally posted by bgrateful32
I also have windows 7, and have the .net framework 4.0 installed.....how do I get this working? I'm desperate!

Hey guys, I'm not sure what is going on with this issue. I regularly test the Launcher on W7 64-bit so I know it does work there.

The only possibility that I can find is if the Framework 4.0 install is corrupted in some way. I found some advice from a Microsoft guru about what to do in these cases... Linked HERE

Please let me know if this helps...

Quote: Originally posted by YiChun Chen @MSFT
Could you please try .NET Framework Verification tool to verify all .NET Frameworks on your machine?

If any .NET Framework fails to be verified, please try .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to remove it. Then reinstall it.

The Custom Launcher uses the ".NET Framework 4 Client" profile, so that is what needs to be verified.

The Framework Cleanup Tool should only be used as a last resort if other actions can't correct the problem.

Test Subject
#66 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 12:12 AM
I downloaded this program yesterday and I have to say that this has has been the only thing that has worked for me! I moved my downloads in the right folders [my documents/Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3] and none of that worked for me. I changed my .cfg file and everything I haven't played my game for almost a month! I was growing very frustrated to the point that I was considering to quit playing The Sims 3 all together. Thank you so much for making this program because I was so ready to throw this game out. Thanks!!!
Test Subject
#67 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 1:47 AM
I followed the directions....I have the microsoft .net 4.0 client profile..and I still cannot run the program..I get the "custom launcher has stopped working" error....
Test Subject
#68 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 1:59 AM
I'm not really good with these things.. and maybe I'm doing something wrong , but I know I've followed everything .. but none of the packages seem to show up . When I click install in the custom launcher, it still doesn't show up on the game itself.. I don't know if it's the way I've downloaded the game.. cause I don't have the "actual cd" my boyfriend downloaded this game for me, and I have to go through game, bin and stuff to actually click TS3 to play the game.. You think this could be the problem? please help
Forum Resident
#69 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 11:41 AM
Will your program work for users who have not installed the game in the default directory; eg. C:\Program Files\Games\Sims\The Sims 3 ?
Test Subject
#70 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 5:17 PM
Question! Can I delete the Mod rebuilds that are previous to my current mod rebuild to save room? Or is that a no no? I keep finding downloads I want and adding them which causes me to rebuild. Just worried about what happens after I reach 50 rebuilds :p
Test Subject
#71 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 5:33 PM
Your launcher dosn't work. where do you put the files
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 5:52 PM
yeay! Hurray! Everything is working and no crashes! I did everything you and Winterhart suggested with great results and I learned a bunch, too. Like the log. And, the Process Monitor, and more. Still learning, as some of it is still over my head...but, it works. I, too, had lost all the installs in the EA Launcher and still only have new downloads there, like the pack files which your Launcher does not handle. And, even with the EA Launcher, I get the Buildfiles menu when the program is launched. I played for hours last night, lol! Also, I installed Twallan's NRAAS Master Controller and love it! Still learning all it does and how to use it...such potential, and right at your computer or Sim. Love it and the folks at NRAAS. Thanks, Winterhart.
Instructor
Original Poster
#73 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikgrr12
Question! Can I delete the Mod rebuilds that are previous to my current mod rebuild to save room? Or is that a no no? I keep finding downloads I want and adding them which causes me to rebuild. Just worried about what happens after I reach 50 rebuilds :p

The ModBUILDx.package files are deleted and re-created each time you hit the rebuild button, so there are no stale ones hanging around.

If you delete them manually, you will need to rebuild before you can play the game again, since they contain **ALL** of the custom content that the game sees.

Instructor
Original Poster
#74 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShanOw
Will your program work for users who have not installed the game in the default directory; eg. C:\Program Files\Games\Sims\The Sims 3 ?

As long as you used the official install program to install the game, the launcher should work just fine.

If you manually installed the files, or have moved them after doing the install, then the launcher probably won't work. The launcher finds where you installed the files by reading the Registry entries created by the install program.

Instructor
Original Poster
#75 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vampire167
Your launcher dosn't work. where do you put the files

You can unpack the Custom Launcher zip file to anywhere on your disk you wish. Be sure and keep all of the files from the zip file together in the folder.

I personally create a sub-folder under
Code:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\
for it and add a shortcut to my desktop to run it with.

Lab Assistant
#76 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 7:21 PM
Granthes, do I have to uninstall the 1965 version before updating to the 1986 version? I thought that I had already updated but I noticed that my current launcher still says version 1965. TIA.
Instructor
Original Poster
#77 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 7:47 PM
Granthes, do I have to uninstall the 1965 version before updating to the 1986 version? I thought that I had already updated but I noticed that my current launcher still says version 1965. TIA.

Just be sure to overwrite the .exe and all of the .dll files when you upgrade. I've been careful to make sure the database format is auto-upgrading so you should never have to un-install first.

--Grant

P.S.: I ran into a bit of a glitch in my next update. It should be available late on the 10th, or early on the 11th and will have several bug-fixes and (if I get it stable) Sims3Pack support.

Lab Assistant
#78 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 8:01 PM
Hey guys, I'm not sure what is going on with this issue. I regularly test the Launcher on W7 64-bit so I know it does work there.

The only possibility that I can find is if the Framework 4.0 install is corrupted in some way. I found some advice from a Microsoft guru about what to do in these cases... Linked HERE

Please let me know if this helps...

Thanks very much for such a quick reply.

Fantastic! It worked! I tried the verifier & it wasn't recognising that I had .NET v4 on my system. Anyway, I uninstalled using the clean up tool & it showed up in the verifier after I reinstalled. I thought it was smart to use your link to .NET v4 download so I knew I had the correct one.

Looking forward to using this now. Thanks again!

Peace
DD

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 3:14 AM
Quote:
P.S.: I ran into a bit of a glitch in my next update. It should be available late on the 10th, or early on the 11th and will have several bug-fixes and (if I get it stable) Sims3Pack support.

Very sweet and shiny. :lovestruc
Instructor
Original Poster
#80 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 10:19 PM
I've run into another problem with the update planned for later this weekend.

My primary software development machine blew out a power supply. Since I live in west podunk, there isn't anywhere withing 250 miles to buy a replacement until Monday.

As soon as I get the machine working again, I'll upload an version with the bug-fixes to-date. The Sims3Pack support and improved package file handling will be delayed a few days.

--Grant.

Forum Resident
#81 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 11:19 PM
My primary software development machine blew out a power supply. Since I live in west podunk, there isn't anywhere withing 250 miles to buy a replacement until Monday..

Sorry to hear about your machine, but trust me, you wouldn't want to live in or even near a city big enough to get that replacement before Monday. :lovestruc

Lab Assistant
#82 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 1:13 AM
Default Ah, yes.
Sorry to hear about your machine, but trust me, you wouldn't want to live in or even near a city big enough to get that replacement before Monday. :lovestruc

I thoroughly agree. I am at the other extreme...in the woods, and loving every serene moment of it. Thanks to computers, I do not feel out of touch or isolated. Choosing when to be social is a delight.

Everything still seems to be working ok. I get an occasional CTD or blue screen, but, nothing like the incessant crashing of before. I am still adding mods back slowly. Really look forward to being able to delete those I wish to discard from the launcher.

Also, I seem to have lost my "magic," lol. I am using Kolipokie's TS3 Magic program, updated for Ambitions which, I believe, was working at one point, before I installed awesomemod and did all that messing around. I also have Dolphin's magic stuff, which is working (the Magic Gardening Gnome, the Magic Orchids). I have obliterated and redownloaded Kolipokie's mods several times without help. I doubt this has anything to do with the launcher but, could it? Never hurts to ask, at least, not here, lol. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#83 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 1:36 AM
ZA (AV/ASW) read this file as a Zombie file (malicious software)
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 3:55 AM
I was attempting a rebuild when the program crashed & I got the message "S3Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close" and now every time I try to open the program I get the same error. The only log file I have is from the most recent crash so I have no clue what caused the original crash. Here's the file from the latest crash.

Also, none of the packages I have show a description or thumbnail when i know they have them. Is that normal? They were originally in my Mods/Packages folder but I made it so the launcher could manage them if that makes a difference.

Sorry to hear about your computer.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Log.rar (1.0 KB, 12 downloads)
Instructor
Original Poster
#85 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ang41187
I was attempting a rebuild when the program crashed & I got the message "S3Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close" and now every time I try to open the program I get the same error. The only log file I have is from the most recent crash so I have no clue what caused the original crash. Here's the file from the latest crash.

Also, none of the packages I have show a description or thumbnail when i know they have them. Is that normal? They were originally in my Mods/Packages folder but I made it so the launcher could manage them if that makes a difference.

Sorry to hear about your computer.

In looking through your log file, it looks like there are several orphan files. These are files that were moved into the Installed directory, but the database update didn't complete.

I suspect that the crash happened when it was copying one of these files. The work-around is to move all of the files out of the Downloads folder, run the laucher again, the put back the files back a few at a time and refresh after each batch.

The file that caused the crash **might** be black.package, from your **Sims** category.

I'll add checking to correct this error as soon as I can get my development machine back.

Also, the description and Icon/Banner for packages is something that the creator of the package would add. So far, I'm not aware of any creators who've done that.

Lab Assistant
#86 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 5:05 PM
I think you were right about the black.package b/c after I removed that I was at least able to start the program. Still crashed part way through the rebuild though. Here's the log from that crash just in case it shows something different then what you told me last time. Thank you again for all your help & this wonderful tool.

Also, do I need to remove the files from my Installed/Launcher folder, my Downloads folder or both. I'm assuming it's my Installed/Launcher folder but I want to be sure.

Also another suggestion if possible. A cancel button for the rebuild. I've accidentally hit the ENTER key when trying to set a category a few times & it takes me to the rebuild so I either have to wait for the program to crash or close it on my own. Either way all the work I did was lost & I have to re-categorize everything again.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Log7-12-10.rar (3.6 KB, 8 downloads)
Instructor
Original Poster
#87 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:43 PM Last edited by granthes : 13th Jul 2010 at 1:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ang41187
I think you were right about the black.package b/c after I removed that I was at least able to start the program. Still crashed part way through the rebuild though. Here's the log from that crash just in case it shows something different then what you told me last time. Thank you again for all your help & this wonderful tool.

Also, do I need to remove the files from my Installed/Launcher folder, my Downloads folder or both. I'm assuming it's my Installed/Launcher folder but I want to be sure.

Also another suggestion if possible. A cancel button for the rebuild. I've accidentally hit the ENTER key when trying to set a category a few times & it takes me to the rebuild so I either have to wait for the program to crash or close it on my own. Either way all the work I did was lost & I have to re-categorize everything again.

The error in the log this time indicates a corrupt package file or a TS2 package file.

I'll add a "Cancel" button to the next revision, as well as changing the "rebuild" and "play" Buttons to not respond to the ENTER Key.

Test Subject
#88 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 3:01 AM
Thanks for the new version, Grant . This one runs for me so I'm off to play now.
Again, thank you for your work.

~M~

If you're too busy to laugh; you're too busy.
Test Subject
#89 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 3:07 AM
Thank for your great work!
Test Subject
#90 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 7:22 AM
Hi. I have some bugs to report. I'm using the last version updated of your launcher, and my game is also full updated.
Firstly, I'm using the french version of the game, and the Sims 3 folder is "Les Sims 3" but the installer created a "The Sims 3" folder, and it is not looking for packages in my original "Downloads" folder.
Secondly, you have reversed the "Tuning" and the "Sims3pack" tabs : they are not in the same order on the top and on the left.
Thirdly, your launcher crashed while it was rebuilding, and now when it starts, a black window is all I can see.

Except that, you did a really good job, I'm waiting for some new release of your software

( Excuse me if I my English is not perfect, I'm doing my best ^^ )
Theorist
#91 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 7:19 PM
Hiya! I downloaded this yesterday so it's definitely the latest version. I start the launcher which works fine, then click the rebuild button or try to start the game and it crashes with an error report.

My game is fully updated with expansion packs (no stuff pack) and I'm running XP. I had my framework already installed before trying this so have no idea if that may be the problem.

I'm rather clueless about understanding such things but I'm attaching the log file.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S3LauncherLog.zip (956 Bytes, 12 downloads)
Instructor
Original Poster
#92 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyro
Hi. I have some bugs to report. I'm using the last version updated of your launcher, and my game is also full updated.
Firstly, I'm using the french version of the game, and the Sims 3 folder is "Les Sims 3" but the installer created a "The Sims 3" folder, and it is not looking for packages in my original "Downloads" folder.

Thanks for the information on this one. The Non-English support is very difficult for me to test. I'll be updating the Launcher once more to provide more information to help track this one down.

Secondly, you have reversed the "Tuning" and the "Sims3pack" tabs : they are not in the same order on the top and on the left.

Oops! I didn't even notice this one. I've also got to disable those buttons until the sims3pack and tuning capabilities are finished.
Thirdly, your launcher crashed while it was rebuilding, and now when it starts, a black window is all I can see.

For this one, I'd suggest you enable logging and take a look at the log file after it crashes. This is probably due to it not using your "Les Sims 3" folder correctly.

Except that, you did a really good job, I'm waiting for some new release of your software

( Excuse me if I my English is not perfect, I'm doing my best ^^ )

Thank You, I appreciate your bug reports and I hope we will be able to get you and all of the other Non-English players running soon.

Thanks,

Grant

Instructor
Original Poster
#93 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 9:12 PM
There is a new version of the Custom Launcher in the download tab. This adds better error checking and corrects for a change from the latest patch where EA changed the ProductID of the base game in the registry.

Also, this version has a new section on the welcome screen that shows details about what the Launcher knows about your system and the game. This information will be of help when tracking down various errors.

Thanks,

Grant.

Lab Assistant
#94 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 1:07 AM
Whoops Just downloaded the new version and it will not open...get error msg that the Launcher has stopped working (as soon as I click the Launcher). Help?
Instructor
Original Poster
#95 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 2:09 AM
Whoops Just downloaded the new version and it will not open...get error msg that the Launcher has stopped working (as soon as I click the Launcher). Help?

As always, enable logging to see if there is something in the log file to explain the problem.

Also, did you replace all of the files with the new ones, or just the exe file? All should be replaced...

--Grant

Test Subject
#96 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 11:08 AM

I got the same problem. I am a first time user of this program but I cannot use it. I am using the Taiwan version of The Sims 3 (Traditional Chinese) and I have all EPs and patches installed.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 5:34 PM
Default No luck today so far
As always, enable logging to see if there is something in the log file to explain the problem.

Also, did you replace all of the files with the new ones, or just the exe file? All should be replaced...

--Grant

Yes, of course I did, just as before. But, without the success of before. I do not recognize anything in the log that spells "problem." I would like to send you the "rar" file, but have not yet figured out how. Also, just to be certain, I have now trashed the old Launcher and re-downloaded the new which does not open.

I miss my G-Launcher. Sorry to be such a pain.
Instructor
Original Poster
#98 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alice_egg
I got the same problem. I am a first time user of this program but I cannot use it. I am using the Taiwan version of The Sims 3 (Traditional Chinese) and I have all EPs and patches installed.

Does the launcher bring up a window at all, or does it crash before it shows up?

Please take a look at how to enable logging and send me the log file, I would be happy to help solve this problem for you.

Thanks,

Grant.

Instructor
Original Poster
#99 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 5:44 PM
Yes, of course I did, just as before. But, without the success of before. I do not recognize anything in the log that spells "problem." I would like to send you the "rar" file, but have not yet figured out how. Also, just to be certain, I have now trashed the old Launcher and re-downloaded the new which does not open.

I miss my G-Launcher. Sorry to be such a pain.

If you want to, you can just copy and paste the log into a PM to me, or paste the last 10 lines of the log into a reply here. In either case, I should be able to figure out where the crash is occurring even if there isn't anything obvious in the log.

Thanks,

Grant.

Lab Assistant
#100 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 5:56 PM
2010-07-14 12:52:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.App] -- Logging Started
2010-07-14 12:52:54Z| Fatal | [S3Launcher.App] -- Unhandled Exception'Provide value on 'System.Windows.Baml2006.TypeConverterMarkupExtension' threw an exception.' Line number '5' and line position '9'.

This is all there is. The Launcher does not open. does not bring up the window at all.
Page 1 of 5