Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 6:53 PM
Default New laptop for sims 3
My laptop broke back in March, and I've avoided this site like the plague because I know it will make me miss playing sims more. But I decided that I was going to buy a new one when deals start coming out around Christmas. I just wanted some thoughts on if you all think this laptop is good for sims 3. Not sure if this is the ideal forum or not.

I was thinking of getting the first one. I don't think it will be marked down more, do you all agree? Laptop has an i5 processor and not i7- I don't think this would make a big difference for sims 3 purposes?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...o/z-series/z51/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 6:57 PM
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 7:02 PM
TS3 is a game that is heavy on both system RAM and Processor. The better these two the better TS3 will run. Though both processors have quad-cores, the architecture of an i7 is superior to that of an i5.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 7:04 PM
Okay, will probably go i7 then thanks.

Sorry for the wrong section, I wanted to post this pretty fast...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 8:35 PM
It worked out for you, luckily, since Harvee knew something about it. The other section is often checked by those with tech savvy.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#6 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 9:35 PM
Moved to Computer & Software Technical Support.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Scholar
#7 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 10:17 AM
I'm at work right now but I'll look into this when I get back. There's no point in buying laptops with a 5th gen processor unless you're getting a significant discount. I'll see what I can find online when I get home.
Scholar
#8 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 3:04 PM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 23rd Nov 2015 at 8:39 AM.
Take a look at these laptops:

$799: DELL Inspiron i7559-2512BLK

$1074: ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71

The first item is the one I'd recommend to someone who's cost conscientious. The second is the nicer one. It's a little more powerful but not $274 worth more powerful in my opinion. It does have more ram (but you don't need it), looks nicer, feels nicer, screen is bigger too.

People are right to say that CPU speed affects The Sims 3, but you won't notice a huge difference between the i5 in the first laptop and the i7 in the second laptop because there's only 0.3Ghz difference between the two. Number of cores is the same and The Sims 3 doesn't benefit from the extra threads that the i7 can provide. L3 cache is the same as well and they are both based on the same architecture so IPC improvements are negligible between the i5 and i7 when you're gaming.

What you should really do is get the cheaper one and see if you can replace the hard drive it comes with with a SSD.

Take a look at this 500GB SSD for $160. If you put that into the cheaper laptop you'll have a better experience while gaming than the more expensive laptop and it'll still cost you less.

EDIT: 11/23/2015 There's a better 500GB SSD on sale for $150: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820147373 , use promo code EMCKKNN28 to get it at $135.