Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 1:02 AM
What is the purpose of the dark skin in textures?
Hi all, quick question. As mentioned in the title, I'm curious about the purpose of needing two skin texture files. For example, there is usually an "afBody", but then also "afBodyDark". I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the actual skin color of your sim because the dark texture is usually a greenish tone and the color ramp should determine that anyways. I don't get where/how it is used in the game. Many skin tutorials even just overwrite it with a copy of their light skin. Any help? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th May 2015 at 8:37 PM
Odd how you describe it. The way I all skins I use work is with the aforementioned "afBody" being the lightest possible tone, and the "afBodyDark" being the darkest. There should be no colour ramps, no configurations, just two extremes.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 24th May 2015 at 4:36 PM
It's a combination of the two. As you move the slider from lightest to darkest skin, the 'light' texture fades into the 'dark' texture while the overlay color from the ramp moves from light to dark. IMO this gives a very dark color at the extreme while preserving skin details that could be obscured by a nearly black ramp color. The greenish tint neutralizes the pinkish tone of most of the game ramps when using the darkest shades. That's how I think EA intended it: custom skin creators of course are free to do what they want.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th May 2015 at 11:09 AM
So it would be possible to make 2 different skin textures, one as _dark and the other one as the light version, so I could blend them into each other in game? Cool :P

♘ visit my tumblr here