Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 5:57 PM
Default Adding a MATD and TXTR to a new Mesh (Q for RGiles, Numerator, etc.)
I apologize if this has been asked before...

I'm creating a new object from the Trellisor Wedding Arch, using Delphy's Mesh Tool tutorial. I built a first one that worked but sucked, and now I've created got a nice OBJ from scratch to work with.

My problem: The Trellisor Arch starts off with 2 textures (plus groundshadow which I can't figure out anyway) but I need 3 textures. (one for red-painted wood, one for black-painted wood, one for the sign)

I've cloned the weddingarch-plastic-flowers MATD and TXTR, changed their names and SHPE references, fixed integrity, etc. The object works, but the sign MATD looks like it got dropped. I get the ugly flashing blue.

Am I in way over my head? Should I give up? What am I missing?

I've attached image and file for anyone who's curious. Please help!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ZenTorii_try.rar (190.2 KB, 27 downloads) - View custom content

en7en - "that pagoda guy..."
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 7:38 PM
If it is flashing blue, did you update all the TXTR References in the TXMT (=MATD) File? There is a Reference in the Properties section (soemthing like stdMatBaseTexture) and one on the second Tab.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 8:31 PM
Quaxi:

Good call, but yes, I did. The thind is, I had to clone the existing "whiterose" texture to use for the sign, and it seems like the system can't pick it up. I've changed its name to match, assigned it in SHPE, still no dice.

What I'm trying to find out is this: Cloning an TXMT/MATD, and cloning the associated TXTR, and trying to make them work... Should I even try that approach? Is there any chance in hell that it will ever work? Or am I delving in way too much complexity, hooks into other files, bump/alpha issues, etc?
Instructor
#4 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 10:30 PM
It should definetly work. Did you use the "fix TGI" Buttone (not "Fix Integrity") after changing the Filenames of the TXR and TXMT Files?

Sorry I am not on my Windows machine at the Moment, so I can't have a look at your package file.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 10:46 PM
I've tried that before but with no luck. I think there are other files that SimPE doesn't clone that are required to do that.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 10:53 PM Last edited by WDS BriAnna : 14th Feb 2005 at 11:02 PM.
http://modthesims2.com/showthread.p...ht=adding+glass

I've added a part before, here are my notes (they are pre-epcompatible, so ignore the bits about the hashes).

Edit: Just looked at your file. Have you tried adding the hash to the shape's call of the matd?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 11:20 PM
Quaxi: I didn't. Don't know what "TGI" means without an "F"

BriAnna: Cool! I'll try it right now...
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#8 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 12:45 AM
TGI means "Type, Group, Instance" ... the numbers that identify the file.

Let us know if BriAnna's notes help.

RG
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 1:50 AM Last edited by en7en : 15th Feb 2005 at 2:22 AM.
BriAnna's note helped... sideways. It made me double-check my names, and I had forgotten the "_txmt" suffix for the name of my new mat in the Mat Def...

Fixed it. I'm now a happy camper. Once I get everything polished, I'll upload it.

And once I'm sure I've got everything figured out, I'll try to rec a tutorial.
Screenshots
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#10 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 1:55 AM
Yay! Glad to hear it. There are so many tiny things that can throw us off in this process.

RG
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 2:24 AM
So anyway, the short answer is: Adding textures isn't that hard. Clone the MATD, clone the TXTR, change names for these two, make the change in SHPE, and double-check everything.

And then, when it doesn't work, double-check everything again!

Thanks all!