Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 4:52 AM Last edited by spgirlx13 : 4th Jul 2008 at 5:05 AM.
Default Popping Sims on FT additions
After installing FT I deleted Desiderata Valley because I knew I wouldn't play it. One day it randomly appeared and I decided to use deleteAllCharacters because I liked the architecture but not the Sims. I moved a family in and noticed that whenever they would sit down to watch a movie, they would immediately pop off of the sofa. I later discovered that the same thing would happen with the violin, pottery wheel and sewing machine. I tried removing the files as detailed in the step-by-step thing and it still didn't go away. I want to know if there's an alternative to reinstalling the game because my custom neighborhood is being used in a story and it took a long time to get the Sims right. I have a backup of the files, so if I have to uninstall, is there a way to use these to get my neighborhood back? Thanks!
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have looked at the patches available on the official website and none of these problems are listed there.

Yay evil orange!
(())Pass the ribon around if you know someone who
//\\has died, survived, or is living with cancer
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 7:22 AM
Did the -jumping- stop after removing your sims 2 folder and generating a clean one as outlined in the FAQ? I'm a little unclear as to what files you removed. If the problem didn't stop when you removed your downloads folder, did you move on to the next step of generating a clean sims2 folder? Just double checking here.

Also, please patch all your games. They don't always list everything that is fixed with the patch.

ETA: The deleteallcharectors cheat is a very bad thing. I leaves dangling swafs and corrupt files. In the future, if you want a clean hood, go to Moreawesomethanyou.com and look in Peasantry for clean neighborhood templates.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 3:13 PM
What I did was rename the whole Sims 2 folder that was in the EA folder as stated in the outline so that the game would generate a new one. If I remember correctly (which I bet I don't) it said that if the problem persisted the next step would be to patch but I heard a rumour (can't remeber where) that patching the game disables hacks. It's probably just a rumour but it got me afraid to patch since I do love my hacks (?). Anyway, hope that helps. And also, I didn't know about the deleteallcharacters thing until after I used it. I'm pretty sure that's what caused the jumping though *slaps head*.

Yay evil orange!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 3:36 PM
Patching doesn't disable anything. You *may* have to re-enable hacks after patching, but it takes no more than a couple of minutes - no worse than installing a new EP.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 4:16 PM
Ok then, thanks for clearing that up. But if the glitch was caused by the deleteAllCharacters cheat (which I am positive it was) would patching do anything?

Yay evil orange!
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 5:27 PM Last edited by Canoodle : 4th Jul 2008 at 7:07 PM.
The patch may or may not help. It's a good idea to patch every game you have installed; although lately, I've been waiting a few days after a new patch is released to see if there is any problem with it. BV and FT had a few glitches with the patchs and new patches were issued. The patches currently on the EA site are fine to install.

And yes, patches and new EP/stuffpack installation disables custom content. See here on how to enable it again. And remember, sometimes it takes more than one try. I have only had to do it once, but a few people have had to do it twice:
http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php...me_Help:GCCTSU2

ETA: Have you followed the FAQ and removed your downloads folder to see if it is some custom content or a hack conflict causing this jump bug?

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spgirlx13
Ok then, thanks for clearing that up. But if the glitch was caused by the deleteAllCharacters cheat (which I am positive it was) would patching do anything?

If there are errors in your neighbourhood data, patches or removing content won't help. Your only options would be to restore a backup (although if the corruption is caused by DAC, it would have been present from the start) or else start again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
If there are errors in your neighbourhood data, patches or removing content won't help. Your only options would be to restore a backup (although if the corruption is caused by DAC, it would have been present from the start) or else start again.

I renamed my Sims 2 folder (C:\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2) so that the game wouldn't read it. My custom neighborhood was not there, nor was there any hacks or other custom content. All Maxis neighborhoods were there (I deleted all except Pleasantview). I went into Veronaville and tested the violin, pottery wheel and sewing machine on the Montys and stilll got the jump bug. It is definately not a custom content, hack, or neighborhood caused glitch, nor is it caused by any other file in the folder. I looked at the patch and it said complete list of changes. None of the glitches mentioned affect my game. I think reinstalling, then replacing the files in the Sims 2 folder with my backup might work. Will it?

Yay evil orange!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 5:38 PM
Just to be sure- test this again. Cut and paste your Sims 2 folder and any sims 2 folders you've renamed FROM my Documents TO the desktop. Make sure that ALL sims content is gone from the Documents folder. Then run the game again, to test for the jump bug. I'm just wanting to make doubly sure that this is not a userdata problem before we instruct you to reinstall. Also, if you do get the 'jump bug' again- turn on the testing cheats:
boolprop testingcheatsenabled true
And when an error pops up, write down the file location it gives you. Then attach that file (a text file) to your post.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 4:32 AM Last edited by spgirlx13 : 8th Jul 2008 at 5:49 PM.
The file was too big when I went to upload it so I had to copy and paste the text file. This is everything, since I didn't know what was important or not.
EDIT: Ya sorry about the huge great scrolly log. I didn't think it would be that long and honestly, I can't make sense of that

Yay evil orange!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 6:00 PM
And just to check- that error log was produced with the clean Sims 2 folder you generated?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 9:48 PM Last edited by spgirlx13 : 11th Jul 2008 at 2:41 AM.
Yes it was. My other folder (with the custom neighborhood and all the CC) was on the desktop. See how it says N002 (somewhere)? The only neighborhoods I have are N001 and N008.

EDIT: I reinstalled the game and the glitch went away

Yay evil orange!
Locked thread | Locked by: callistra Reason: Fixed