Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 10:03 AM
.Tungsten tongue FTW!

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 5:07 PM
I didn't learn this today, but I learned a week or two ago that penny loafers are called that because in olden-days, people used to stick pennies in them partly as a fashion statement, and partly because it was handy in emergencies because payphones cost a penny back then. It wasn't the intended purpose of the loafer manufacturer, people just stuck pennies in there because they could. I don't know why, I just found it rather bizarre that so many people just decided to stick currency in their shoes that it even coined the phrase "penny loafer".

Yesterday, I learned that metal can spontaneously grow hair. I saw a pic of a hairy metal object and the person called them "tin whiskers" so I looked that up. I had no idea metal could spontaneously grow hair. WEIRD!

Resident wet blanket.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 9:51 AM
I learned that bone china is made from real bones! I never knew. That might be a problem for some vegetarians.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Scholar
#29 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 11:48 PM
Not too long ago I learned that the colour is called crimson and not crismon, as I had thought for practically my whole life right up till perhaps november when I saw a tube of my mum's paint that read crimson! Before I'd realised that I'd always been wrong, I asked the parentals if they'd noticed that it was spelled wrong on the tube. Amazingly enough,it was the first time I'd ever seen it written so I never learned how to say it properly! Ah fun times
Scholar
#30 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 12:27 AM
Certified Phlebotomist don't make as much money as I thought
Scholar
#31 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 12:32 AM
I googled phlebotomist. It sounds dangerous. And fun
Scholar
#32 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
There are so many new and interesting things to learn about and I just can't keep up with it all, so I want to know what interesting thing you learned today.

Today I learned that there is a food called scrapple, which despite it's name that sounds to me like some kind of scrumptious apple is actually a semi-solid mush made from hog offal.

It's congealed.

Think of corn mush but with lotsa pork parts in it...You put it in the fridge overnight. It sets, and then you slice it and fry it.

I grew up eating a variation of it. (My mother made it with sausage, and then fried it in bacon grease!). We'd have it will apples and scrambled eggs.

I love (just plain) fried corn mush. I always made it for my family. It would set over night, and the next morning we'd fry it in butter, and drizzle molasses over it.
Scholar
#33 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
My mum was a Phlebotomist for a good many years - whenever I got asked to explain the term, I said she was a "legalised vampire".

Today, I learnt how effective Pet Therapy really is! I'd never doubted that there was an effect, but having now experienced it for myself... still feeling it 5 hours later! :D

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
#34 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500

I don't see what's dangerous about it, you're just stabbing people with needles ;D

I learned that the last level of Octodad: Dadliest Catch is complete bullshit.
Page 2 of 2