Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 24th Dec 2011 at 11:09 PM
Except being bucked off a horse doesn't usually result in the severity of bone breaks a broken arm would mean. But it's not like the Sims has ever been obsessively accurate.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
Except being bucked off a horse doesn't usually result in the severity of bone breaks a broken arm would mean. But it's not like the Sims has ever been obsessively accurate.

Oh Well I don't know much about riding horses. I actually know very little. I just know if you're not careful you can get some very bad injuries. I've ridden horses maybe 3 times in my whole life (thankfully, all of those times went very well, so I have no real life experiences of broken bones due to horses - knock on wood )
Scholar
#53 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 1:31 AM
Yes, you can. For instance, I've broken both my hand and my ankle riding (not the same incident, impressive as that might have been). It'd just be a matter of what the chances of it happening got set to. But for instance, you're probably not going to break your femur/thigh bone, ever. Wrists, yeah, if you break anything it'd be them. I'd just really hate to see them add in broken bones from riding the sim horses only to have it happen nine out of ten times because they set the chances wrong.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Test Subject
#54 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 8:30 PM
I suppose sickness would put a damper on a good mood. A player would be upset if their character died from it. You would feel like your effort was a complete loss. However, 'disabled' sims would be nice. Wheel chair bound, blind, deaf, or anything else inbetween would be fair. If you as a player want to add the trait to your sims you should be able to do so and if selected have the trait go down the line as genetic. And if you the player don't like the idea of having a disabled sim (You are discriminating in a sense if you want your perfect little world with perfect little people) then you can.. idk.. CHOSE not to use it? It might be too hard to have a CHOICE *cough* *cough* But I say add it in. I am hard of hearing and use sign language to asist me. So seeing my character used Simsignage would be like I said.. nice.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#55 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 1:41 AM
The catch with wheelchaired sims is that basically, they'd be an entirely different "age category". That means EVERY SINGLE THING IN THE GAME needs to be adjusted to compensate for this (or else you're going to have people BREATHING DOWN YOUR NECK over what crippled sims can and cannot do). Since the game already takes up over 1 GB of RAMs, having to do everything in it twice will cause it to take up more than 4 GBs of RAMs, which means the game won't run, because Win32 barfs if you try to make a program use more than 2 GBs of RAMs, and if it doesn't run on Win32, it doesn't run on just about every XP machine out there, so you can only sell it to the newest and shiniest...which Simmers don't have.

"Urbz" can get away with this because it's NOT A REAL SIMS GAME. It's a console trash game, with a very restricted pool of actions and playable characters. You will notice you cannot put *YOUR* sim in a wheelchair. Only an NPC that that interacts with the world (which is already very limited) in very specific, limited ways, mostly relating to popping a big glowing ! over his head when he has a quest for you.

So such a thing could happen as a canned NPC ala Miss Crumplebottom, but never as a generally-playable character.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Instructor
#56 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 2:31 AM Last edited by AngelicScot : 8th Jan 2012 at 2:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Celoptra
I know sign lanauge myself..but I'm not deaf. Diabetes is a Disabltiy

Diabetes is only a disability (by legal definition) if it is uncontrolled for a long period of time. Type 1 or 2, is inconsequential. Being a diagnosed diabetic for 6 years now, I've found out. Of course, mine is still uncontrolled, but doesn't yet seem to qualify as a "long-term" disability. Even though when I worked at the SocialSecurityAdministration, length of time wasn't a consideration as to whether the person was viewed as disabled. (shrug)

And all might remember that in Sims 2, and maybe Sims 1, your sim could become sick with a cold, the flu, pneumonia, and food poisoning. Which is what I really miss. I never had a sim have pneumonia or die of disease. It was also never anything a sim would have to go to the hospital with. I think if they would add this feature back in, if your sim got sick with the flu, or worsened to pneumonia, you'd have to have them go to the hospital for treatment. I'd like that. I don't really care what the cry-babies at the Official Forums have to say about it, because I don't really expect the Sims Team to reincorporate the feature.

Quote:
Sim sign language? That's A LOT of animations. New animations. Would deaf Sims have to learn it first? And then other Sims would have to learn it to communicate with them? And would they be able to watch TV or read books? Well, I'd guess they'd need to add closed captioning to all the TV channels and braille books.

The way sims already flap their arms around when they're talking, I don't see how this would be any more difficult than Simsignlanguage. And, of course, just like your YA sim didn't need to take driving lessons or get a license, they'd automatically already know Simsignlanguage if they were deaf. The "Teach baby to talk" could be the same for deaf toddlers and parents or even deaf toddlers and non-deaf parents.Or vice versa.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Forum Resident
#57 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 11:52 AM
Theme Hospital had some hilarious illnesses... (the squits... caused by eating cold pizza found under the cooker). I'd love it if tongue-in-cheek illnesses were included.
Test Subject
#58 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 1:58 PM
Quote:
The way sims already flap their arms around when they're talking, I don't see how this would be any more difficult than Simsignlanguage. And, of course, just like your YA sim didn't need to take driving lessons or get a license, they'd automatically already know Simsignlanguage if they were deaf. The "Teach baby to talk" could be the same for deaf toddlers and parents or even deaf toddlers and non-deaf parents.Or vice versa.

I agree. Watching the sims and how much they wave their hands around when they are talking, I can't see how much more difficult it would be to add Sim-sign language. In fact, sometimes it seems to me like they ARE signing to each other!

We have canes, hearing aids, cochlear implants, blind eyes, and all kinds of other stuff that we can use to make our sims appear to have disabilities. Of course, they don't really act any differently than if they were NOT wearing a hearing aid or if they didn't have a patch over their eye. (And I appreciate that there is a good CC hearing aid here on MTS. I'm deaf, and it's cool to have my sim-self wearing a hearing aid, though it would be nice if there were bilateral hearing aids available.) We have CC wheelchairs and the like that can be used for storytelling - though they don't move. It would be REALLY cool if we had CC moveable wheelchairs. (We have bikes that can be ridden...why not wheelchairs?) But, to expect EA to put disabilities in the Sims... that's not very practical. As others have said, you run the risk of insulting a lot of people, it costs LOTS of money and time to do all of the modifications to the game that it would require (All new animations for the sims using a wheelchair, and new items that the sim using a wheelchair can interact with.), and it would be really hard to market. There is a small amount of players who WANT sims with disabilities, but many do not. Sims is an escape from the real world into a virtual world where your in charge....and where you can boss your simmies around! A lot of people don't want their sims to have disabilities. EA has to market to the majority - the largest group of people whom the Sims games appeal to.

Based on the risks that would have to be taken to create and market an EP with disabilities in it, it's not really worth it. It's better to have CC disabilities/items/illnesses for those who want them.

Just my opinion, y'all
Field Researcher
#59 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 7:12 PM
I would like to have sicknesses, like flu, pneumonia, the guinea pig disease, pox maybe (just temporary overlay of spots and "itchy" moodlet in addition to flu symptoms....and imaginary diseases. but just everyday stuff. No cancer, HIV or depressing stuff like that. I mean, in my opinion pox or hamster disease could kill but it is preventable. And yes, would give a meaning and outcome to doctor vaccination.

That's what I'd like. I won't ever hold my breath though.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#60 Old 12th Oct 2012 at 11:38 PM
I know this thread hasn't had a post in a awhile. Its just I don't like people ideas for "temp" disablties. That's what I hate (and why stuff with Glee's wheelchair character also had contersivary about). I mean from what I hear in one episode of Glee, the wheelchair character (I think his name was Archie) wanted to dance but instead of sending him to a wheelchair camp to learn to dance. They had him be in a fantay sequence. But I think the whole him having a disabled was because he got it later in life (ie not born with it). So of course he wanted to find a *cure*.
Scholar
#61 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 12:56 AM
Holy Necro, Batman!
Instructor
#62 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I played the Urbz once, but I never noticed there was anybody in a wheelchair.

I didn't read all of these posts so this may have been said, but Lincoln Broadsheet was only in the GBA / DS versions of the Urbz, not the PS2 version. So maybe that's why you didn't notice, if you only played the PS2 version? Lincoln was a fairly important and often seen person in Urbz so if you played it, it's hard not to notice him. o.o But yeah he was definitely there.

I don't see why people WOULDN'T want disabilities in the sims tbph. It's a virtual life game. Not all people are lucky enough to be "normal" and not have disabilities in real life, so why not in the sims? Personally I'd love to see Sim Sign Language and sims who can't walk without assistance. It makes them seem more real and makes the game more realistic.

Obviously I don't expect to see anything like this for TS3, as Zokugai explained, it's just way too much work and would cause too many problems. But it would have been nice if they'd done disabilities to begin with. :/
Inventor
#63 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 1:30 AM
I wish we had a disease called the "Retro virus" where you constantly go to the bathroom, throw up, and disco dance. You constantly roll wants to dance and get a Dance Fever moodlet when you have it. Basically, you are sick and wear yourself out dancing. Has the potential to dance until you drop dead because the dancing overrides a lot of basic needs.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Test Subject
#64 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 4:48 AM
I can't say I'd be for the idea of it, myself. Aside from the huge can of worms it would open in terms of the media ("ermagherd, they's trivialisin' disibilities!"), it just seems like something that would cause more frustration than appreciation. While I do see the benefits of it, be it diversifying sims further or adding that extra little spice to the storytelling (that's part that makes it a close call for me), on the flipside there's the removal of control over the situation if your sims are involved (This one's more a personal preference thing, but I like directing the "plot" of my neighbourhoods a bit more directly). Plus it's very likely that it would be implemented in such a horrific way that it'd be much better off not there at all.

Quote: Originally posted by StardustX
I don't see why people WOULDN'T want disabilities in the sims tbph. It's a virtual life game.

For me, I wouldn't want it in the game, since like you said, it's a virtual life game. Not a virtual life simulation (despite sim being right there). Sometimes "realistic" features don't translate into "fun" features. This is my personal preference to the fantastic though, the Sims games to me, are just removed enough from reality that things like that don't even occur to me as a problem to them. Not when there are things like teleporters, ghosts and installing a self-cleaning system by whacking a toilet a few dozen times.

...hmm, I may have gotten myself a bit distracted here. So I shall just finish with thanks but no thanks, for the sake of diminishing returns
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#65 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 4:29 PM
The only thing the disabled who are in support of disabled sims in the game is just a button in CAS which makes them able to create a sim who is in a wheelchair or any other disabltiy. I frown upon disablties which can get "cures" which is what some people want and that's the bad part about TV disablties.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 5:08 PM
The only thing the disabled who are in support of disabled sims in the game is just a button in CAS which makes them able to create a sim who is in a wheelchair or any other disabltiy. I frown upon disablties which can get "cures" which is what some people want and that's the bad part about TV disablties.

But some RL disabilities can be cured, surely? Do you think that too high a percentage of TV disabilities are portrayed as being curable then? I can imagine that that might be the case.

I wouldn't object to seeing disabilities in the Sims, but only if it was done well. I can't imagine it ever being worthwhile financially for EA to incorporate it into their games in a meaningful way - something other than a one-off NPC, I mean, making it so that disabled sims still had the same options as other sims. I think it'd be more trouble than it was worth for them to be honest.
Instructor
#67 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by K-64
For me, I wouldn't want it in the game, since like you said, it's a virtual life game. Not a virtual life simulation (despite sim being right there). Sometimes "realistic" features don't translate into "fun" features. This is my personal preference to the fantastic though, the Sims games to me, are just removed enough from reality that things like that don't even occur to me as a problem to them. Not when there are things like teleporters, ghosts and installing a self-cleaning system by whacking a toilet a few dozen times.

It's not like you wouldn't have a choice to not have your sim be disabled though. Of course if EA made it to where if something happened, where you just have to deal with whatever disabilities your sims would have, you know modders would fix that.

I don't think having a disabled sim would be "fun" exactly. It would just be something different, and would make the game more challenging if nothing else.
I understand why some people wouldn't enjoy it, its not like disabilities are fun in real life. I think everyone understands that. But not having them disabilities and illnesses, in my opinion, is like taking away homosexual-sim relationships because a group of people doesn't agree with that type of relationship.

Anyways I'm in the minority here and can't think of anything else to say, so..
*wanders off*
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 5:56 PM
There isn't really any positive protrayls in TV shows and/or stories. Either the disabled person is a)a villain (Long John Silver, Captian Hook) or b)is disabled but becomes enabled (ie. The Secret Garden and Heidi and Little Tim in The Christmas Carol) and that's unfair to those people who can never become enable. As far as I know the only *postive* potryals of disabled people are in the TV show Arthur. (Unless you count Mad Eye Moody)

Tell me of one disabltiy that is cure able?
Scholar
#69 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 7:06 PM
Well, I guess 8 additional posts makes what's old new again (Didn't count you Cameranutz, though I clicked an awful lot of buttons on your post)

Two things...
First issue-- in addition to people's comfort and fun levels-- in creating disabled sims is that there is a vast array of disabilities. EA provides for a wheelchair bound sim, and then people who are deaf want to know where their representation is...

Second issue -- the goofball humor that defines the Sims and can actually be pretty cruel, would seem insensitive when it occurs to the disabled.

Hmmn, where did Stardustx get to?

*wanders off in the wrong direction*
Scholar
#70 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 12:57 AM
Well, vampires can't walk around in sunlight (without sunscreen or a LTR, but sparkling is replacing one disability with another IMO) and simbots can't swim, shower or have anything to do with water, so... aren't you technically playing characters with disabilities anytime you roll one of them?
Theorist
#71 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 1:41 AM
That's not a disability though, technically speaking those are common sense, other than the vampires thing that's more of a fable/passed down/inheritable story-telling thing. And why would an electronic item be able to interact with water without being electrocuted? I'd be fine with casts and perhaps crutches, and casts could be perhaps exclusive/common to teens who strive more in athletics and physical hobbies such as snowboarding etc. Also I'd love to see sign language in the game! Especially for shy seems or even maybe a new sim type such as silent who never speak etc...And I don't necessarily want full on deaf and blindness but I'd like to see the elders have those moments like "HUH, what did you say" and putting their hands up to their ears, or maybe they're focused on something and the sim talking to them could be like "CAN YOU NOT HEAR ME" and tapping their feet angrily waiting for them to reply which they already technically do with the pathing issues. As for blindness it would be cool if we could have glasses work as prescription ones where if you lose them you have to search around for them and all, or if you lose your contacts etc..It'd be temporary sort of thing.
Scholar
#72 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 2:41 AM
Sure, but common sense doesn't necessarily preclude disability. Someone confined to a wheelchair probably isn't going to be able to ascend a steep flight of steps on their own, that's 'common sense' (and a reason for access ramps) but does observing that mean they're no longer disabled? Same thing, simbots can't enter water because having their innards stuffed full of electronics will short them out, also 'common sense', but does tagging it as such mean it's no longer a disability?

Simbots and vampires may not be real, but the ideas that come into play around their restrictions are very similar, from my point of view.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#73 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 3:11 AM
since Vampires and simbots aren't *real* disablities. They can't exactly be labeled as disablties. I meant name one real-life disabltiy is curable?

That is why there would be ramps and elevators,etc for disabled sims (if they had included them in the first place). Also wheelchair taxies/and school buses.
Scholar
#74 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 4:08 AM
since Vampires and simbots aren't *real* disablities. They can't exactly be labeled as disablties. I meant name one real-life disabltiy is curable?
At the risk of over-analysing things: why not, considering that in the Sims game universe, both of them *are* real and that the label might only be applied there? Or do they need to reflect real-life ones, otherwise they can be ignored as a quirk?

Whether they are curable or not has no bearing on anything.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#75 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 5:28 AM Last edited by Celoptra : 14th Oct 2012 at 5:48 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Fentonparkninja
At the risk of over-analysing things: why not, considering that in the Sims game universe, both of them *are* real and that the label might only be applied there? Or do they need to reflect real-life ones, otherwise they can be ignored as a quirk?

Whether they are curable or not has no bearing on anything.

actually it does have a bearing about disablties being cureable. since I said earlier in this thread that the ONE thing I frown upon is able bodied people (I assume) who the ONLY disabitlies they want are curable ones and then they list stuff that I don't considered to be disablties.

Disablties:
blind, deaf, person in wheelchair,

what people think are disablties:
broken arm
broken leg

and then after someone's comment

Quote:
But some RL disabilities can be cured, surely? Do you think that too high a percentage of TV disabilities are portrayed as being curable then? I can imagine that that might be the case.

Then I pointed out that in some classic stories a "disabled" person becomes an able-bodied person. (ie.Clara from Hedi, Colin from The Secret Garden, and maybe Tiny Tim) and that's unfair for those people who are born disabled to have have characters who are disabled becomes enabled when real disabled people who are born like that *can't* ever walk or something. Its like they're second-rate to "normal" people. (that is if the disabled person isn't a baddie to begin with). The only disabled person I can think of who never becomes a *normal* person is the Gardener Ben from The Secret Garden (he has a hump)

It even has its own tropes page on TV tropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ffTheDisability

I would really like to see a story with a positive potryal of a disabled person who is (the person was borned disabled) and is able to be a witch/wizard/werewolf and still be disabled and never becomes a normal person.

Well I always thought Lupin's problem in Harry Potter was more of a disabltiy then the other idea people have of it.
Page 3 of 4