Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Custom Launcher with Package Management [Obsolete]

by granthes Posted 6th Jul 2010 at 6:50 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:58 PM by Nysha

445 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Instructor
Original Poster
#101 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:01 PM Last edited by granthes : 14th Jul 2010 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Uploading Fix
Default Got it Fixed! (I Think)
Quote: Originally posted by gbreez
2010-07-14 12:52:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.App] -- Logging Started
2010-07-14 12:52:54Z| Fatal | [S3Launcher.App] -- Unhandled Exception'Provide value on 'System.Windows.Baml2006.TypeConverterMarkupExtension' threw an exception.' Line number '5' and line position '9'.

This is all there is. The Launcher does not open. does not bring up the window at all.

Ok. I know where it is happening now, I'll have to dig a little bit to figure out what is causing it.

I'll try to get a response back to you later this afternoon.

[EDIT 7/14/2010 12:50PM] Ok, I found the error and have corrected it. The new build 2219 should correct the problem.

Thanks,

Grant.

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:03 PM
Many thanks. Sorry to add to your load. I will live without an instant answer. Take your time.
Test Subject
#103 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 10:20 PM
It still doesn't work with the german version of the game. It's creating a folder named "The Sims 3" but the german folder is called "Die Sims 3". The good news is that it is no longer crashing, when I hit the rebuild button. But after this I can't start the game, because of the wrong folder.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is a bug, but your launcher is telling me that I'm using Windows NT but I'm using Windows Vista.
Instructor
Original Poster
#104 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alf1507
It still doesn't work with the german version of the game. It's creating a folder named "The Sims 3" but the german folder is called "Die Sims 3". The good news is that it is no longer crashing, when I hit the rebuild button. But after this I can't start the game, because of the wrong folder.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is a bug, but your launcher is telling me that I'm using Windows NT but I'm using Windows Vista.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

XP, Vista and W7 all count as Windows NT as far as Microsoft can tell

On the same part of the window where it says Windows NT, it should say something like
Code:
Game: The Sims 3 Language en-US

Please reply back with exactly what code is showing up there.

Thanks
-- Grant

Lab Assistant
#105 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 1:31 AM
Tried #2205. No change. No launcher at all. Log is identical. BTW, I am using Vista, also. Weeding the garden; good therapy.
Instructor
Original Poster
#106 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 1:37 AM
Default I don't get it! ----?????----
Quote: Originally posted by gbreez
Tried #2205. No change. No launcher at all. Log is identical. BTW, I am using Vista, also. Weeding the garden; good therapy.

OK. I'm going to throw together another quick debug version for you.

There are about 10 lines of code between where the two log lines are written. I'll add a log line to each of those to see if we can't track it down. I'll also take the Icon back out to see if that is what is going on.

I'll PM you later with the details. Probably about 3 hrs from now.

--Grant

Forum Resident
#107 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 2:08 AM
Default Launcher won't launch and file causes crash
The launcher won't launch my game either. Which I really don't care about that much. I never used EA launcher either. I use your program for keeping track of my custom content and where it came from. It works great for that and really cuts down the loading time of the game!

I am having a problem with Fresh Prince's 1950 Ford Pick-Up crashing the Launcher. I am attaching the zip file. I tested with it in and out of the Launcher.

I am running Launcher Version 0.92r2 (Build:2219)

I saw some previous posts about Microsoft seeing XP, Vista and 7 as NT. That stinks! I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. It is being read as Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 is 64 bit Windows and 32 Bit Launcher.

I also get this message Error:Null Language Error:Null

Thank you for your time. :lovestruc
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MTS_Fresh-Prince_998994_F-P_1950_Ford_F_1.zip (3.25 MB, 14 downloads)

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Instructor
Original Poster
#108 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
The launcher won't launch my game either. Which I really don't care about that much. I never used EA launcher either. I use your program for keeping track of my custom content and where it came from. It works great for that and really cuts down the loading time of the game!

I am having a problem with Fresh Prince's 1950 Ford Pick-Up crashing the Launcher. I am attaching the zip file. I tested with it in and out of the Launcher.

I am running Launcher Version 0.92r2 (Build:2219)

I saw some previous posts about Microsoft seeing XP, Vista and 7 as NT. That stinks! I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. It is being read as Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 is 64 bit Windows and 32 Bit Launcher.

I also get this message Error:Null Language Error:Null

Thank you for your time. :lovestruc

Ok. I'll take a look and see what's up with that package.

Also, the fact that you are seeing the Error:NULL messages helps me understand why your computer has trouble with the launcher. If that message occurs, the Custom Launcher can't figure out where the game is installed. I'll look into that right away for you.

I'll be releasing a new version sometime tomorrow that should be quite a bit faster, and will hopefully take care of these other issues for you.

--Grant

Lab Assistant
#109 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 4:24 AM
Now that everything's finally working I LOVE it!!! It made my packages go from roughly 1500 to 38!!! Thank you for this & all your help!

I thought of another suggestion as well. If possible, it'd be nice when the program is writing the MODBUILD.packages to give them the name of the subdirectory that they're in if the user has made one (ex: packages from shoes subdirectory be named shoes1, 2 etc)

And a question I meant to post last time. How would I make it so the program recognizes an image from a package? It would be much easier to find and delete packages that I don't want if there was an image to go with their name.
Instructor
Original Poster
#110 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ang41187
Now that everything's finally working I LOVE it!!! It made my packages go from roughly 1500 to 38!!! Thank you for this & all your help!

You are very welcome1

I thought of another suggestion as well. If possible, it'd be nice when the program is writing the MODBUILD.packages to give them the name of the subdirectory that they're in if the user has made one (ex: packages from shoes subdirectory be named shoes1, 2 etc)

This would actually be very difficult to do properly. There will generally only be 1 or 2 ModBUILDx.package files starting with the next version of the software. The only reason that I had to make so many with the older versions is an out-of-memory bug, but I've now corrected that.

And a question I meant to post last time. How would I make it so the program recognizes an image from a package? It would be much easier to find and delete packages that I don't want if there was an image to go with their name.

This is something that I will look at for the to-do list. Many packages don't have a recognizable thumbnail or image like a Sims3Pack file does, and others have many. I'd just have to pick one at random if they exist.

Lab Assistant
#111 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 4:51 AM
Yeah!!! You did it!!! #2219 works. Have you had a chance to eat? Maybe need some sleep? Your perseverance definitely furthered; but, do take care of yourself. You are the best and we need to keep you healthy and happy, lol. All kidding aside, many thanks, Grant. Now, get some rest. :-)
Test Subject
#113 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 6:19 PM
Hi, it's me again. I downloaded the new version of the launcher, but it is not able to find my language (See on the screenshot in the .zip)
I send you a log file by the way.
Moreover, it is still creating a "The Sims 3" folder (because language was not detected ?)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  dossier.zip (53.6 KB, 11 downloads)
Description: log file + screenshot
Forum Resident
#114 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 6:59 PM Last edited by Winterhart : 15th Jul 2010 at 7:12 PM.
Default Wonderful-ness
I would say you are awesome but that's connected to a bad person. You are absolutely wonderful. I appreciate your dedication to making the Launcher work for us. I agree with gbreez don't forget to take care of yourself. I know what it's like to loose yourself in the incredible feeling of creating something. When I get an idea for a mod I have to set a timer so I get up and move around once in awhile. Even then I sometimes ignore the timer. You are much loved and appreciated!

:lovestruc

**Edit so I don't double post**
I just downloaded Arisuka's Bill Compton from True Blood. I forgot that it wouldn't be a package file so I put it in downloads. It didn't break the Launcher. It did put the zip file in the Archives. I found it and took it out. At the bottom of your to do list you might want to put some kind of warning when the Launcher can't process a sim file, just for dummies like me who can break anything.

Instructor
Original Poster
#115 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyro
Hi, it's me again. I downloaded the new version of the launcher, but it is not able to find my language (See on the screenshot in the .zip)
I send you a log file by the way.
Moreover, it is still creating a "The Sims 3" folder (because language was not detected ?)

Thank you for the information. I've been having trouble figuring out what is going on with the non English versions of the game and the Launcher.

The information you sent will be a big help.

Thanks,

Grant.

P.S.: Expect a new version sometime before the weekend that to (hopefully) fix the problem

Test Subject
#116 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 11:33 PM
Thanks for your work and your patience! I'm having the same problem, that the launcher coud not detect my language. The error message shows this:

Game:Error:Null Language Error:Null

Maybe I should mention that my game is not installed in the default location. I hope this information will help.
Instructor
Original Poster
#117 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 12:25 AM
Thanks for your work and your patience! I'm having the same problem, that the launcher coud not detect my language. The error message shows this:

Maybe I should mention that my game is not installed in the default location. I hope this information will help.

I wonder if you would be willing to use regedit and export the Sims3 registry section for me.

I've been working on my test machines and have not found what is causing this issue.

On 32-bit windows, find
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sims

One 64-bit windows, find
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Sims

Then right click on the folder Sims and choose export. Having this information would make a big difference in figuring out what is going on.

Thanks,

Grant.

Forum Resident
#118 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 1:38 AM

My language is English so I don't have a problem, but I have the same message and my game is installed in the default location. :lovestruc

Forum Resident
#119 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 1:44 AM
Default zip problem? Low priority
I just tried to install MTS_Chaavik_1104537_MoreFunActivitiesCollection-AM.rar.
I didn't know there was a .txt file in the zip with the package file. Just like earlier with the .sim file the Launcher just moved the zip to archive, but did not extract the package file. Like the title says, Low Priority

Instructor
Original Poster
#120 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 2:53 AM
I just tried to install MTS_Chaavik_1104537_MoreFunActivitiesCollection-AM.rar.
I didn't know there was a .txt file in the zip with the package file. Just like earlier with the .sim file the Launcher just moved the zip to archive, but did not extract the package file. Like the title says, Low Priority
OK. I found this problem and it will be corrected in the next upload.

Forum Resident
#121 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 7:05 PM
Default Small Wish List
There are a couple of things that would be nice to have eventually.

1. Default for categories closed not expanded
(I may have said this before, if so please forgive the repeat)

2. A button to show disabled packages only.
I currently have 305 files which is about a third of what I used to and plan on having many more files. I put a file into a category but forgot to enable it. I would have been nice if I could have just clicked a button to find it instead of searching through all the files looking for it.

These are very low priority for me, just wishes for the future. :lovestruc

Instructor
Original Poster
#122 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 7:20 PM
Default Status Updates on the Custom Launcher
Greetings All,

I've begun working with the Journal feature of MTS.

Anyone who wants to keep track of what I'm working on and when to expect a new release can read it here
[http://modthesims.info/journal.php?...wjournal&j=1072]

Thanks,

--Grant

Forum Resident
#123 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 3:34 AM Last edited by LifesLover : 18th Jul 2010 at 4:14 AM.
I'm extremely confused about what this does. I've tried to read most of the posts here and the user guide found within, but I still find myself lost.

I don't have much custom content installed as of yet. My hard drive has been experiencing problems lately and I uninstalled the Sims 3 in order to fix it. I've only recently re-installed it, and I haven't gotten around to downloading all of the old CC that I had before. What I do have installed, however, is the EGC mod and the Custom Launcher, when I did use it, did show those as existing.

However, when I went to click on one of the packages showing, the Custom Launcher immediately stopped working. I have installed the 2219 version, which I'm pretty sure is the latest update to the installer, and my computer is a Windows Vista 32-whatever it's called thingy.

I don't know, though, if that's due to my computer's problems or if it's something to do with the actual program.

But what's really got me confused is what this does.

What are legacy packages? And what exactly does the Rebuild do? The User Guide said the start button would turn yellow when a Rebuild is needed, which mine did, but I don't know exactly what a rebuild will do to my game, if anything at all. I haven't played the game except to participate in the Foundations Contest since I installed it, and the only CC I have is the ECG.

Also, does the launcher install my packages? IE, does it find where I downloaded them and extract them from the .rars and puts them in the new Mods folder under documents? Or do I still have to do that manually?

I've read that it will join several CC packages together, but how does it do that? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what things do and what they're for by reading over it a couple of times, but I'm just completely lost.

EDIT: Also, I checked the image in front, and it shows icons for all expansion and stuff packs. I know that when I open my launcher, not only does it not show that I have WA (I have all expansions and HELS), but it shows the BG icon in the wrong position. I have no idea if that matters at all, though.
Instructor
Original Poster
#124 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 6:34 AM
Greetings,

Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
What are legacy packages? And what exactly does the Rebuild do? The User Guide said the start button would turn yellow when a Rebuild is needed, which mine did, but I don't know exactly what a rebuild will do to my game, if anything at all. I haven't played the game except to participate in the Foundations Contest since I installed it, and the only CC I have is the ECG.

Legacy packages are ones that are installed in the Mods folder under Documents; basically they are the normal way of installing packages. These are listed in the packages list so you can enable/disable them.

Managed Packages are ones that are controlled by the Launcher and are involved in the rebuild process. This is done because the more separate package files you have, the slower the game runs.

The rebuild process takes all of your managed packages and combines them into a single (or a few) packages to improve the speed of the game.

Also, does the launcher install my packages? IE, does it find where I downloaded them and extract them from the .rars and puts them in the new Mods folder under documents? Or do I still have to do that manually?

If you place .package, .zip or .rar files that contain CC into the Downloads folder, the custom launcher will discover them and install them as managed packages. From there you can enable/disable them and if you wish, you can add descriptions as well as sort them by category.

I've read that it will join several CC packages together, but how does it do that? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what things do and what they're for by reading over it a couple of times, but I'm just completely lost.

See above.

EDIT: Also, I checked the image in front, and it shows icons for all expansion and stuff packs. I know that when I open my launcher, not only does it not show that I have WA (I have all expansions and HELS), but it shows the BG icon in the wrong position. I have no idea if that matters at all, though.

There is a bug in the currently available version of the Custom Launcher that makes it miss some expansion packs and to sort the icons in the wrong order.

This will be fixed by the update scheduled to go online tomorrow [7/17/2010]

Thanks,

Grant

Forum Resident
#125 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 7:15 AM
Okay, thank you. I've been using it so I understand more what to do, though when I had a conflicting mod, I panicked for a moment wondering what I was going to do before realizing that I could just disable the mod in question.

So far, it seems to work beautifully and I have had no in-game problems while using the launcher to manage my packages and start my game, except for the fact that the launcher crashes every time I try to set a category, though again, that could be because of my faulty computer.
Test Subject
#126 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 10:34 AM
A little bug I found : in the "packages" tab, when I click on the checkbox on the left of "state", the checkbox disappears and a text appears : "System.Windows.Controls.CheclBox Content: IsChecked: false"
Instructor
Original Poster
#127 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 8:36 PM Last edited by granthes : 20th Jul 2010 at 9:04 PM.
A little bug I found : in the "packages" tab, when I click on the checkbox on the left of "state", the checkbox disappears and a text appears : "System.Windows.Controls.CheclBox Content: IsChecked: false"
OK. I've added this to my bug tracker at http://sims3.the-prof.net/bugs/

Test Subject
#128 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 1:26 AM
gracias
Test Subject
#129 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 4:18 PM Last edited by Cyro : 23rd Jul 2010 at 4:31 PM.
I have to say : congratulations ! I just downloaded the last update, and it works perfectly ! It detects the french version, all my packages and rebuild whithout any problem !
I have a little suggestion to make it better : some packages doesn't have an explicit name, and I think that a picture of each one would be very helpful to know which one we should keep ... I don't know if it's possible to show the same picture as is the buy/build mode... I let you think about it, but if it's impossible, that's not a problem, don't worry

little edit, not to double post : is it normal that when I change the category of a package, I see it two times in the list ?
Instructor
Original Poster
#130 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 5:53 PM
is it normal that when I change the category of a package, I see it two times in the list ?
This is a known bug. I expect to have it resolved in one of the next 2 updates.

For now, just be sure to exit and restart the launcher whenever you see a doubled entry.

--Grant

Lab Assistant
#131 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 9:01 PM Last edited by Shykary : 24th Jul 2010 at 9:31 PM.
Well, it didn't work here. I forgot to backup my mods, and I've lost all my organization. Looked like that the program couldn't rebuild all the stuff, when I load the game with the launcher no mod appear. :l
I don't know why the program doesn't save a log file here. :x
Instructor
Original Poster
#132 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shykary
Well, it didn't work here. I forgot to backup my mods, and I've lost all my organization. Looked like that the program couldn't rebuild all the stuff, when I load the game with the launcher no mod appear. :l
I don't know why the program doesn't save a log file here. :x

Please download the new build 2424 version of the launcher. It should recover all of the packages and let you rebuild and run with the custom content.

Lab Assistant
#133 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 3:19 AM
Whow! It worked now. You deserve my thanks now! Thank you very much, you rock!
Test Subject
#134 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 5:30 AM Last edited by rlaguswl4321 : 25th Jul 2010 at 5:47 AM.
This seems like a useful tools but I'm completely, utterly lost. I seem like an idiot since everyone else seem to understand this tool with no problems, but to start with I don't even understand how to use this tool. Do you simply load all your packages, categorize all of them, then what? How do you compress them into one big package?

Edit- After reading all the comments again, it seems like I need the state of my packages to be "Managed" instead of "legacy". Right now all my custom content are in legacy states. I understand that you need to hit "install" to change them, but I currently have over 400 packages and clicking install individually is such a pain.. is there a way to select all of them at the same time and click "install"?

Also, what does the "build" tab do? i don't seem to have this tab on my launcher.
Instructor
Original Poster
#135 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rlaguswl4321
This seems like a useful tools but I'm completely, utterly lost. I seem like an idiot since everyone else seem to understand this tool with no problems, but to start with I don't even understand how to use this tool. Do you simply load all your packages, categorize all of them, then what? How do you compress them into one big package?

Edit- After reading all the comments again, it seems like I need the state of my packages to be "Managed" instead of "legacy". Right now all my custom content are in legacy states. I understand that you need to hit "install" to change them, but I currently have over 400 packages and clicking install individually is such a pain.. is there a way to select all of them at the same time and click "install"?

Also, what does the "build" tab do? i don't seem to have this tab on my launcher.

Greetings,

Yes, Legacy packages are the ones that the game loads the old way and managed packages are the ones that the custom launcher builds into a single big package for faster use.

You can go to the package screen and highlight several packages by using the normal (click) then (shift-click) process. You can also select all packages by using the (ctrl-A) keyboard shortcut.

Once everything is highlighted, you can hit the install button. This may be a slow process if you have hundreds of packages, but it only needs to be done once.

--Grant

Lab Assistant
#136 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by granthes
Greetings,

Yes, Legacy packages are the ones that the game loads the old way and managed packages are the ones that the custom launcher builds into a single big package for faster use.

You can go to the package screen and highlight several packages by using the normal (click) then (shift-click) process. You can also select all packages by using the (ctrl-A) keyboard shortcut.

Once everything is highlighted, you can hit the install button. This may be a slow process if you have hundreds of packages, but it only needs to be done once.

--Grant
After doing this, he needs to rebuild, right?
Instructor
Original Poster
#137 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shykary
After doing this, he needs to rebuild, right?
A rebuild is needed anytime packages are installed/uninstalled or enabled/disabled.

However, just clicking the "Play" button will automatically do a rebuild if needed, then start the game.

Test Subject
#138 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:26 PM
Hi! The Launcher crashes right away, i get an error message that the launcher has detected a problem and has to be closed.
On Error Details i get this:

EventType: clr20r3 P1 : s3launcher.exe P2 : 0.9.2424.2
P3 : 4c4b7b9b P4 : system P5 : 4.0.0.0 P6: 4ba1dff4 P7 : 17dc
P8 : 75 P9 : system.uriformatexception
Instructor
Original Poster
#139 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ThanatosCSB
Hi! The Launcher crashes right away, i get an error message that the launcher has detected a problem and has to be closed.
On Error Details i get this:

EventType: clr20r3 P1 : s3launcher.exe P2 : 0.9.2424.2
P3 : 4c4b7b9b P4 : system P5 : 4.0.0.0 P6: 4ba1dff4 P7 : 17dc
P8 : 75 P9 : system.uriformatexception

Please take a look in the <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Logs folder and see if there is a S3Launcher.log file there. If so, please send me a copy of that file.

You can either PM me here, or start a thread on The Custom Launcher Support Forum and I'll take a look at it.

Hopefully we'll be able go get you up and running right away.

--Grant

Test Subject
#140 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 10:20 PM
Hey, thank you for your help and your launcher is working beautifully. However, when I started using the launcher yesterday, it showed that I had exactly 441 packages. When I added about 2 new hairs today, it showed that I suddenly have 2239 packages. Due to this huge number, the rebuild progress is painfully long. I wonder if this is normal?
Instructor
Original Poster
#141 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 10:28 PM
Hey, thank you for your help and your launcher is working beautifully. However, when I started using the launcher yesterday, it showed that I had exactly 441 packages. When I added about 2 new hairs today, it showed that I suddenly have 2239 packages. Due to this huge number, the rebuild progress is painfully long. I wonder if this is normal?

This is an issue that I have been fighting for a long time now.

I'm planning on rewriting a big part of the code over the next 2 weeks to get the duplications taken care of once and for all.

In the meantime, I'll try to get an update by Wednesday (7/28/2010) to try and cut back on the duplicates as much as possible.

As a workaround, it is often necessary to close and restart the launcher to get these duplicates to disappear.

Thanks,

Grant.

Test Subject
#142 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 12:22 AM
This is an issue that I have been fighting for a long time now.

I'm planning on rewriting a big part of the code over the next 2 weeks to get the duplications taken care of once and for all.

In the meantime, I'll try to get an update by Wednesday (7/28/2010) to try and cut back on the duplicates as much as possible.

As a workaround, it is often necessary to close and restart the launcher to get these duplicates to disappear.

Thanks,

Grant.

I see. I was wondering if you download a newer version of your launcher, do you have to go through the process of installing and categorizing the packages all over again?
Instructor
Original Poster
#143 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 1:24 AM
I see. I was wondering if you download a newer version of your launcher, do you have to go through the process of installing and categorizing the packages all over again?

When you install an updated version of the Custom Launcher, it will keep all of the organization that you've already done.

--Grant

Field Researcher
#144 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 10:21 AM
Very nice loader.
The Sims3Pack and Tuning tabs apear disabled to me, even though I believe I have a few tunning mods installed. Are these supported yet?
Also, the play button rebuilds, but doesn't lauch the game for me. Maybe because I didn't install the game in the default folder?
Instructor
Original Poster
#145 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by desecrate
Very nice loader.
The Sims3Pack and Tuning tabs apear disabled to me, even though I believe I have a few tunning mods installed. Are these supported yet?
Also, the play button rebuilds, but doesn't lauch the game for me. Maybe because I didn't install the game in the default folder?

Thanks for the feedback.

The tuning function is not yet supported, since no mod creators have shown any interest in that function. Tuning mods on the other hand are fully supported, just not editable via the launcher.

The Sims3Pack support is Very broken, so I've disabled it until I can discover the cause of the errors.

If you have any EP's or SP's installed, the launcher should find your game and launch it automatically no mater where you installed. For the Base Game only, unfortunately EA didn't store the actual game's install path in the Registry correctly.

If you have the latest version of the Launcher, take a look in the <Documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Logs folder for S3Launcher.Log and see if there are any errors listed after you try to launch. That will help me figure out what is causing it not to launch.

You might also want to take a look at http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/ I keep a support forum running for the launcher there.

--Grant

Test Subject
#146 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 12:25 AM
I'm so happy I could hug you! My game has been unplayable due to lag from my mass amounts of cc. I refused to give up, so I was searching for a solution and found your program. I just ran it and my game works flawlessly again. YAY! Thank you so much for this
Test Subject
#147 Old 31st Jul 2010 at 10:50 PM
just so you know, the installer works on my Windows 7 with or without administrator privileges.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#148 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 1:55 AM Last edited by porkypine : 1st Aug 2010 at 2:17 AM.
YOU FIXED MY BORKED GAME! YIPPEE! My game can see my CC again!

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

If this launcher can get my STORE cc working again - prepare for a porky-cannonball hug!

....*waddles off to use Delphy's mulit-sims3pack unpacker on that dag-nabbit-store content... **

Darn.. the store CC will not load.. *sniff*

I want to THANK YOU for making my MTS CC available to the game again! YIPPEE!
Test Subject
#149 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 8:27 PM
Thanks for the download first, but I do have a question. I get the error "Object reference not set to an instance". Am I doing something wrong?
Instructor
Original Poster
#150 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by edluver01_46408
Thanks for the download first, but I do have a question. I get the error "Object reference not set to an instance". Am I doing something wrong?

That particular error message is one that means either the launcher did something wrong, or that the .NET framework isn't installed correctly on your computer. I've worked hard to make sure that random clicking on the launcher shouldn't cause that error.

You might take a look in your <Documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Logs folder and see if you have a s3Launcher.log file there.

If so, the last few lines of it should tell us what is going wrong when it crashed.

You can PM me on MTS, or log into my support forum at http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/ and I'll take a look for you.

Thanks,

--Grant

Lab Assistant
#151 Old 4th Aug 2010 at 4:36 AM
Hello again

after a rebuild I keep getting a DBPF Format Error Indextype vs Indexsize mismatch message on a bunch of my packages. Any idea what it might mean and/or how to fix it?
Lab Assistant
#152 Old 4th Aug 2010 at 7:27 AM
Hello again

after a rebuild I keep getting a DBPF Format Error Indextype vs Indexsize mismatch message on a bunch of my packages. Any idea what it might mean and/or how to fix it?

Hi, I had the same problem go to Grants forum and you will see my post there and his reply.

Here is the link: http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=7
Instructor
Original Poster
#153 Old 4th Aug 2010 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMCITIZEN4
Hello again

Hi, I had the same problem go to Grants forum and you will see my post there and his reply.

Here is the link: http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

This is an issue that I am actively working on resolving. For now, the work around is listed in my forums at this link

I've been having some issues with getting updates worked on this last week, but I expect to be able to post a new version of the launcher soon that can handle these strangely formatted package files.

--Grant

Test Subject
#154 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 12:48 AM
Crashes when Categorizing
Hello,

I am having a problem with my Launcher. Every time i attempt to categorize something it shows up with a window that says the program has stopped working. In the details this is the information given:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: s3launcher.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0.9.2436.2
Problem Signature 03: 4c4e3a2a
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1da6f
Problem Signature 07: 3fd5
Problem Signature 08: 1a
Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentNullException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
mething

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate with .NET framework 4.0
Test Subject
#155 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 1:00 AM
Default Crashes when Categorizing
Hello,

I am having a problem with my Launcher. Every time i attempt to categorize something it shows up with a window that says the program has stopped working. In the details this is the information given:

Problem signature:
mething

Instructor
Original Poster
#156 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by europeansim
Hello,

Problem signature:
mething

Does this happen with Legacy or Managed packages? There is a known issue with the Legacy code base that messes up the categories. (You shouldn't be able to categorize legacy packages yet...)

Also, what type of category name are you using? It must be something that is suitable as a file name on the disk.

--Grant

P.S.: A new version of the Custom Launcher will appear later this weekend, with several important bug fixes.

Lab Assistant
#157 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 9:28 PM
OMG I sooo NEEDED THIS! THANK YOU. ^^ AWEOME LIL PROGRAM! ^^
Test Subject
#158 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 3:16 PM
Can someone help me out?
I don't know how this program works?
When I start he program, I only get this?

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6196/cl1n.png

http://img580.imageshack.us/i/cl2.png/

http://img225.imageshack.us/i/cl3pressedrebuild.png/

And when I press the "Ok" button on the last picture, nothing happens?
How do I use the program?
You know, combining .package files into one file and stuff?
Can someone help me out with this?
Instructor
Original Poster
#159 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 4:21 PM Last edited by granthes : 10th Aug 2010 at 4:22 PM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by Onemanarmy
Can someone help me out?
I don't know how this program works?
When I start he program, I only get this?

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6196/cl1n.png

http://img580.imageshack.us/i/cl2.png/

http://img225.imageshack.us/i/cl3pressedrebuild.png/

And when I press the "Ok" button on the last picture, nothing happens?
How do I use the program?
You know, combining .package files into one file and stuff?
Can someone help me out with this?

The custom launcher requires at least one .package file to be installed for it to perform any functions.

If you currently have packages installed in you /Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages folder, you will need to move them to <Documents>/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages. These will be recognized as "Legacy" packages.

Alternatively, you can add new packages to your <Documents>/Electronic Arts/Downloads folder and run the Custom Launcher again. These will be recognized as "Managed" packages.

Forum Resident
#160 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 6:09 PM
Default Something Wonderful
I just discovered something about the Launcher that is absolutely wonderful! I have always had trouble finding custom content by the "In Game" name. It's really a pain to write down the name and then type it on my computer list. Now I can have the Launcher open while the game is running and put "In Game" name in along with a description to help me find it. I just love that I can do it with the game running! Thank you so much for this wonderful program! :lovestruc

Lab Assistant
#161 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 7:02 AM
I just discovered something about the Launcher that is absolutely wonderful! I have always had trouble finding custom content by the "In Game" name. It's really a pain to write down the name and then type it on my computer list. Now I can have the Launcher open while the game is running and put "In Game" name in along with a description to help me find it. I just love that I can do it with the game running! Thank you so much for this wonderful program! :lovestruc

Wow that is interesting. How do you actually do that and can you then delete the package while the game is running?
Instructor
Original Poster
#162 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 6:08 PM
Wow that is interesting. How do you actually do that and can you then delete the package while the game is running?

Once you have the game running, you can re-load the Custom Launcher (Just Alt-Tab back to the desktop).

Since the Custom Launcher creates a copy of all of the resources in the ModBUILD.package, the original packages aren't locked by the game, so you can make changes to the category, enable or disable packages, etc.

You can't perform a rebuild operation while the game is running, since the ModBUILD.package file is locked by the game.

Test Subject
#163 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 7:08 PM
Hi, thanks for this!

Buuuut, I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do with this. Well, I do see what the program is supposed to do, I just don't understand how to go about doing anything. (like combining packages)

I honestly don't know if this makes senses. I apologize for my slowness in advance.

Thankss!
Instructor
Original Poster
#164 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Baby-x
Hi, thanks for this!

Buuuut, I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do with this. Well, I do see what the program is supposed to do, I just don't understand how to go about doing anything. (like combining packages)

I honestly don't know if this makes senses. I apologize for my slowness in advance.

Thankss!

If you have custom content already installed in the game using the Post-Ambitions patch method (under your Documents folder), the Custom Launcher should find all of those packages as legacy packages. If you check the box to show legacy, you should see them.

To make the custom launcher combine the packages, you need to install them by highlighting them and hitting the install button.

Also, any new custom content that you download can be placed directly into your "<documents>/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Downloads" folder and the next time you run the custom launcher (or hit refresh if it is already running), it will install the new custom content for you automatically.

When you are ready to play the game, just hit the play button and it will create the combined package and launch the game.

Test Subject
#165 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 10:24 AM
hmm... thanks dude ~~ but one thing, how to install the "sim3custom content"? like "models"
once i 2x clicked the "sim3custom content" file, it comes out the original launcher and it cant be install to the game ><
Instructor
Original Poster
#166 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by badheart
hmm... thanks dude ~~ but one thing, how to install the "sim3custom content"? like "models"
once i 2x clicked the "sim3custom content" file, it comes out the original launcher and it cant be install to the game ><

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking...

If you have a package file, or .zip, .7z or .rar files with content, they will be installed automatically by the launcher. The EA Launcher doesn't see these at all.

If you have a .sims3pack file, the custom launcher doesn't see them, but the original EA Launcher should work as usual.

Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#167 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 10:05 PM
I'm wondering if I something set wrong, because S3Launcher won't run for me. It keeps saying "S3Launcher is not working." I've added the log info, and it's not logging anything (obviously), and I've uninstalled and reinstalled S3L with no happy results.

Any chance you recognize this and can tell me what to do?

I'm stumped.
Instructor
Original Poster
#168 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
I'm wondering if I something set wrong, because S3Launcher won't run for me. It keeps saying "S3Launcher is not working." I've added the log info, and it's not logging anything (obviously), and I've uninstalled and reinstalled S3L with no happy results.

Any chance you recognize this and can tell me what to do?

I'm stumped.

If the Custom Launcher doesn't get far enough to write to the log file, it is probably an issue with the .net framework on your computer.

You might want to look at this post for some utilities for testing the .net framework. BTW, the launcher uses the .net 4.0 client framework, so that one must be installed and working.

If that doesn't help, feel free to PM me or visit my support forums for further help.

Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#169 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 3:34 PM
If the Custom Launcher doesn't get far enough to write to the log file, it is probably an issue with the .net framework on your computer.

You might want to look at this post for some utilities for testing the .net framework. BTW, the launcher uses the .net 4.0 client framework, so that one must be installed and working.

If that doesn't help, feel free to PM me or visit my support forums for further help.

Okay, thanks Grant. I have posted on your forum.
Test Subject
#170 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 5:24 AM
I think I am slowly starting to understand how this works. One question, if you want to combine many managed and legacy packages that were already in your packages folder do you have to set them under a category one by one or is there an option for all I am missing?
Instructor
Original Poster
#171 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Certifyed
I think I am slowly starting to understand how this works. One question, if you want to combine many managed and legacy packages that were already in your packages folder do you have to set them under a category one by one or is there an option for all I am missing?

It doesn't matter what category you set for a package. That is just a way to help you keep track of what packages you have.

Legacy packages are not combined together, I generally suggest using legacy just for testing or for packages that don't work properly with the custom launcher.

All managed packages that are enabled are automatically combined either when you hit the rebuild button, or if you've made changes in the packages screen, they will rebuild when you hit the play button.

The best speed improvements will occur when you have only managed packages, so unless you have a specific need for keeping a package as legacy, you probably should select it and hit the install button. Or you can use the multi-select methods like control-click or shift-click-drag to select several packages at once and install (or enable) them.

Test Subject
#172 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 3:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply explaining again how this works. Awesome, AWESOME program. It was so tedious to combine packages using S3PE and this tool does all the work for you. I combined some of my recent CC and now my game is flying. I haven't even installed all of my legacy packs yet! One question though is it safe to install hacks and twallan's nraas packages? Also will you be adding a function to extract packages from simpack files?
Instructor
Original Poster
#173 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 6:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply explaining again how this works. Awesome, AWESOME program. It was so tedious to combine packages using S3PE and this tool does all the work for you. I combined some of my recent CC and now my game is flying. I haven't even installed all of my legacy packs yet! One question though is it safe to install hacks and twallan's nraas packages? Also will you be adding a function to extract packages from simpack files?

I run the extended game core and most of NRaas with my own game, without a problem. You probably will need to manually extract anything that has many packages, like EGC.

I've been looking into sims3pack files, but there are a couple of issues that I'm having trouble working around.

Test Subject
#174 Old 21st Aug 2010 at 7:22 PM
Thank you for this amazing Launcher it's so awesome for a sims hoarder like me. It might help to put directions about where to save your download and how to convert legacy packages on the first page. Or to include a Help Me or FAQ .txt file with the launcher. I could try my best to get something together if you want.
Instructor
Original Poster
#175 Old 22nd Aug 2010 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AyumiKoshiro
Thank you for this amazing Launcher it's so awesome for a sims hoarder like me. It might help to put directions about where to save your download and how to convert legacy packages on the first page. Or to include a Help Me or FAQ .txt file with the launcher. I could try my best to get something together if you want.

Thanks for the offer...
I'm going to be re-writing the package management screen over the next several weeks. Once that is done, I'll update the users guide PDF file included with the program to be more accurate and up to date.

You are very correct in saying that more instructions are needed. I'll see if I can't update the download page to be more clear soon...

--Grant

Forum Resident
#176 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 1:29 AM
This isn't really an issue but more of a question. You'll eventually be able to install Sims3packs from the launcher, right, once you get it working? Does this include all kinds of Sims3packs like houses and worlds? Or is it meant more as an extract the packages from the Sims3pack to put it in the mods folder with everything else sort of thing?

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Instructor
Original Poster
#177 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 3:39 PM
This isn't really an issue but more of a question. You'll eventually be able to install Sims3packs from the launcher, right, once you get it working? Does this include all kinds of Sims3packs like houses and worlds? Or is it meant more as an extract the packages from the Sims3pack to put it in the mods folder with everything else sort of thing?
This is a subject still under review.

I would be happy to hear what people are looking for, to better serve the community. Right now, both processes are equally impossible. Once I work out the format of a couple of resource types used by the sims3packs in the EA Launcher, I should be able to do full installs much like the original.

I won't be able to do much work on this part of the launcher until I get my game machine replaced. It got taken out by lightning earlier this fall. My development machine will load TS3, but it takes almost 15 minutes to get from clicking the icon to controlling a sim. Too much time to do more than one or two tests before I have to move on to my next class or to work. I expect to have the machine re-built by the end of September so I can get back to this issue. The old machine took 3 minutes from click to play.

Forum Resident
#178 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 4:42 PM
Well, I know that I would appreciate having the ability to mass install several Sims3packs like the launcher, without having to click on each one individually like I have to now with the regular launcher. And I'd also love the ability to look in the Simspacks, like houses, and choose any custom content that's included and decide whether or not I want to include it in the install.

of course, I realize that you're busy, and what you've done so far is already more than I could have ever wanted. My mods are so organized now and it takes so little time to find a particular package that I can spend more time actually playing the game. I hope you can get your computer fixed, but either way, I'll wait for whatever you decide to figure out next. I only wish I knew how to do this stuff.

Test Subject
#179 Old 29th Aug 2010 at 1:54 AM
I have never posted a thank you in Mod the Sims, despite how much I got from it, and this is probably a shameful thing but I felt I should definitly thank you. My launcher hasn't worked since I got the game and EA support has been worthless. I have no idea if this will even work with my game honestly but if it does you definitly have my thanks!
Test Subject
#180 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 1:18 AM
Quick question how do you use the find and filter fields? They are always greyed out on my launcher.
Instructor
Original Poster
#181 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 3:26 AM
Quick question how do you use the find and filter fields? They are always greyed out on my launcher.
The find and filter sections are for features that will be a part of a future update.

I've placed them in the screen to help me design what the screen should look like, but they currently don't do anything.

Since this is the start of a new semester at school, I haven't had time to work much with the program, but I should be getting back to it soon. (A couple weeks or so...)

You can see updates at my website http://sims3.the-prof.net

Lab Assistant
#182 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 6:52 PM
You can see updates at my website http://sims3.the-prof.net

Hi Grant, trying to get onto your site all day and I get a 500 server error all the time. Is there a problem with the site?
Instructor
Original Poster
#183 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 5:46 AM
Hi Grant, trying to get onto your site all day and I get a 500 server error all the time. Is there a problem with the site?
I had a CPU fan go out on my early this morning. It took me a while to get it replaced. The site should be back up now.

Test Subject
#184 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 4:23 PM
This works like a dream. Can I have your babies?
Forum Resident
#185 Old 8th Sep 2010 at 7:56 PM
When looking through the files this morning, I noticed a folder named Archives under the folder Installed, which showed all of my packages installed. When I went into it, I noticed all of the .rar files that the packages were downloaded in. I had assumed that the launcher just deleted them after they extracted the packages from the files. Since the files are extracted, can I just delete the files from the archive folder? It's taking up space on my computer. Or does the launcher eventually delete them, because I noticed it doesn't have all of the .rar's I've downloaded since using the launcher. And should I download the new launcher, even if I don't have the stuff pack it was updated for?

Instructor
Original Poster
#186 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 12:21 AM
When looking through the files this morning, I noticed a folder named Archives under the folder Installed, which showed all of my packages installed. When I went into it, I noticed all of the .rar files that the packages were downloaded in. I had assumed that the launcher just deleted them after they extracted the packages from the files. Since the files are extracted, can I just delete the files from the archive folder? It's taking up space on my computer. Or does the launcher eventually delete them, because I noticed it doesn't have all of the .rar's I've downloaded since using the launcher. And should I download the new launcher, even if I don't have the stuff pack it was updated for?

The archives folder should have a copy of every .rar, .zip or .7z that you've downloaded. If not, there is a problem happening.

I've learned that it is very bad form for a program just to delete files automatically. LOL People get a little weirded out about that!

As to keeping those files, they aren't used by the launcher for anything, nor are they automatically deleted. Feel free to remove any or all of them if you need to clear up space.

The new launcher isn't a big update, nothing critical changed. The only real difference is that it error checks core and script mods and won't allow non-compatible ones to run.

Forum Resident
#187 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 5:26 PM
I think it doesn't have everything because I updated the launcher with the last update (the one before this one). So, it got everything that I downloaded after I updated, but not anything before.

I just assumed that it deleted them automatically. I'm fine with it doing that so long as they're files I don't need and it's not exactly like I need the .rars after I'm done extracting from them.

Okay, so I'll update then. Do I have to uninstall the old one and then install this one or just install this one?

Instructor
Original Poster
#188 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 6:58 PM
Okay, so I'll update then. Do I have to uninstall the old one and then install this one or just install this one?
If you've been using the installer, just run the new one.
If you've been doing the manual install, you will need to either overwrite it or delete before upgrading....

Lab Assistant
#189 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 8:01 AM
Is it possible to get this to work in conjunction with altered program starters like fpslimiter and 3booter, by chance? ie, instead of having it start by using the game's own exe, using a different exe instead?
Instructor
Original Poster
#190 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 8:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matildarose
Is it possible to get this to work in conjunction with altered program starters like fpslimiter and 3booter, by chance? ie, instead of having it start by using the game's own exe, using a different exe instead?
I can add that to my bug/enhancement database. I don't know when I'd be able to get it implemented, since I'm busy with school lately.

Lab Assistant
#191 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 7:18 PM
I can add that to my bug/enhancement database. I don't know when I'd be able to get it implemented, since I'm busy with school lately.

No prob! Thanks for considering it.
Test Subject
#192 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 12:45 PM
Thank you for this. My game works like a charm.

An initial problem I had with this is that content failed to appear in my game after the first rebuild, however, upon deleting my cache via the Download Dashboard and rebuilding again everything appeared as it should.
Test Subject
#193 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 7:48 PM
I just downloaded this and installed, but upon launching it, the program crashes w/ a windows error "S3 Launcher has stopped working". I'm running Vista with the latest patch/Fast Lane Stuff installed.
Instructor
Original Poster
#194 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mageborn98
I just downloaded this and installed, but upon launching it, the program crashes w/ a windows error "S3 Launcher has stopped working". I'm running Vista with the latest patch/Fast Lane Stuff installed.

This error code generally means that there is either a problem with the .NET framework, or that there is a problem creating the initial folders.

Check to see if you have a folder called Logs inside your Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ folder, and if there is a S3Launcher.log file in that folder.

If so, then the launcher actually started to work and the log file will have details about the crash.

If not, then the launcher failed to start up at all. You might double check to see that you have the .NET 4.0 Client installed (from windows update). There is a link on the overview page for the download.

--Grant.

Test Subject
#195 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 1:45 AM Last edited by fleshapple : 15th Sep 2010 at 2:00 AM. Reason: PROGRESS
Default Error with long filename
Grant,
Thank you so much for making this; I look forward to getting it working, as my load times are currently abysmal.

For now, as with mageborn98, the program crashes before doing much at all.

The log file is present; the last three lines read:

"2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.Utils.Packages.PackageController] -- LoadPackagesFromLegacy (C:\Documents and Settings\Carolyn\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages\Redcliffs Custom content\_YOU MUST PUT THIS IN YOUR GAME - its the sidewalk texture used evvvverywhere and the world will look dumb without it)
2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.Utils.Packages.PackageController] -- LoadAPackageFromLegacy
2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.Utils.Packages.PackageController] -- FindPackageinCache
2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Fatal | [S3Launcher.App] -- Unhandled ExceptionThe specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters."

Is it the "sidewalk" package causing the crash? does it simply need retitled in some way? If that's not the problem, what could it be?

Thanks for your time. I'll try renaming, but I'm not expecting much. Yes, my MS framework is up to date.

EDIT: THAT solved the problem. the program is now running and I'm toying about. As a note to mageborn and anyone else having this problem: the file is part of the custom content for Awesimes GORGEOUS Redcliffs neighborhood. If you have that lovely place, and love it as much as I, just rename the file to something shorter and away you go. Thanks again, Grant, for your efforts.

"IF you cannot love me, teach me. In my language, they are the same with only a difference of inflection." -Diane Ackerman
Instructor
Original Poster
#196 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fleshapple
Grant,
Thank you so much for making this; I look forward to getting it working, as my load times are currently abysmal.

For now, as with mageborn98, the program crashes before doing much at all.

The log file is present; the last three lines read:

"2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.Utils.Packages.PackageController] -- LoadPackagesFromLegacy (C:\Documents and Settings\Carolyn\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages\Redcliffs Custom content\_YOU MUST PUT THIS IN YOUR GAME - its the sidewalk texture used evvvverywhere and the world will look dumb without it)
2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.Utils.Packages.PackageController] -- LoadAPackageFromLegacy
2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Debug | [S3Launcher.Utils.Packages.PackageController] -- FindPackageinCache
2010-09-14 19:34:54Z| Fatal | [S3Launcher.App] -- Unhandled ExceptionThe specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters."

Is it the "sidewalk" package causing the crash? does it simply need retitled in some way? If that's not the problem, what could it be?

Thanks for your time. I'll try renaming, but I'm not expecting much. Yes, my MS framework is up to date.

My bet is that the file called
Code:
_YOU MUST PUT THIS IN YOUR GAME - its the sidewalk texture used evvvverywhere and the world will look dumb without it.package
is what is causing the error.

Windows has a stupid limit of about 250 characters for file names and that filename takes up a ton of the name... In fact the total path is right at the limit. Just rename that file to SidewalkTexture.package or something similar and I'd expect the problem to be resolved.

Once renamed, the next time you run the Custom Launcher, it should re-detect that file and re-install it with the new name.

Forum Resident
#197 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 5:54 PM
Hey, granthes, would there be a way to be able to delete CC using your CL eventually?

I downloaded this world and it came with a ton of CC, and loading it, I find that I don't want to play it because it has, like, 80 empty lots and only 5 lots built. I uninstalled the world, but I have all of that CC that came with the world. I know that I can uninstall it completely and it'll show up in my mods folder and then I can mass delete it, but I was wondering if you could put in a way to skip that step and just delete it straight to my recycling bin without ever having to uninstall it in the first place.

Instructor
Original Poster
#198 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 7:32 PM
Hey, granthes, would there be a way to be able to delete CC using your CL eventually?

I downloaded this world and it came with a ton of CC, and loading it, I find that I don't want to play it because it has, like, 80 empty lots and only 5 lots built. I uninstalled the world, but I have all of that CC that came with the world. I know that I can uninstall it completely and it'll show up in my mods folder and then I can mass delete it, but I was wondering if you could put in a way to skip that step and just delete it straight to my recycling bin without ever having to uninstall it in the first place.
This is definitely a possibility. In fact, I thought I'd already put that code in place, but now that I look, I see it isn't turned on.

I think I had it in there for a while, but I didn't have the recycle bin support, so I removed the delete button. I'll add an enhancement request for this, and try to get it into the next update. Enhancement Request is Here

Thanks for the suggestion.

Lab Assistant
#199 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 11:57 PM
I feel a bit stupid asking this, but is there an instruction manual on how to use this program? I installed it fine but don't know what to do next. My goal is to remove some custom hairs that are not showing properly in the game. Am I even using an appropriate program?

BREAKING NEWS! Toilet stolen from police station. The cops have nothing to go on.
Instructor
Original Poster
#200 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by airway
I feel a bit stupid asking this, but is there an instruction manual on how to use this program? I installed it fine but don't know what to do next. My goal is to remove some custom hairs that are not showing properly in the game. Am I even using an appropriate program?
Greetings,
Yes, there is a (somewhat outdated) manual in the Docs folder where you installed the Custom Launcher....

If you've got your content installed using the Post-Ambitions method of CC, you can find all of these packages by going to the Packages screen, then click the "show legacy" check-box. Once you've done this, it should find all of your packages and list them for you.

For now, the search and filter features don't work, so you just need to scroll until you find the packages you wish to remove. Click on the check mark on the left side of the line to disable the packages. I will be adding a delete capability this weekend to allow you to permanently delete packages, but it isn't there yet.

To get the best use out of the launcher, you would want to highlight your "legacy" packages and hit the Install button. This makes it so the Custom Launcher can combine them into a single large package to speed up your game.

Anytime you download new CC, just store it in the <Documents>/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Downloads folder. The next time you run the Custom Launcher, it will unzip/unrar the files and install them so the game can see them.

Page 2 of 5