Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Custom Launcher with Package Management [Obsolete]

by granthes Posted 6th Jul 2010 at 6:50 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:58 PM by Nysha

445 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 5
Lab Assistant
#301 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 7:37 AM
One suggestion: when V2 comes out, would it be possible to enable it to stay open so we can click off packages we want to delete (presumably when Sims 3 has been closed)? I'm assuming V2 will have some sort of preview system at some point- if we can do this alongside that preview system, this will make file management a breeze!
Test Subject
#302 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 3:01 PM
Excellent! perfect for my CC
Test Subject
#303 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 7:29 PM
Are you saying it automatically merges them to a few folders or do you do it manually?
Instructor
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#304 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by roiri100
Are you saying it automatically merges them to a few folders or do you do it manually?

A little more context with this question would be good...

The Custom Launcher merges all of the Custom Content installed into one or more "huge" package files automatically. Each time you change what is installed, it updates these packages for you.

No need to manually combine packages.
Lab Assistant
#305 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 8:56 PM Last edited by lavender : 2nd Mar 2011 at 9:01 PM. Reason: errata
A couple of queries and feedback
Hi
I have just started to use your launcher I have just a couple of queries can you save the files/folders stored in the installed folder to a external drive to free up disc space or does the launcher need these for rebuilds.

I also use dashboard to check packages and fix them when I found a conflict and removed file, the launcher states file missing will it be possible to delete files if corrupted or duplicated from the launcher in the future?
I am keeping Twallans mods as legacy at the moment so that I can just replace when updated. I am asking this as when new a EP comes out some objects may be incompatable as certain windows were when late night came out.

The great thing is that I when realised I could not delete from launcher. I just saved the install folder re installed launcher and started again as the folders were already categorised I rebuilt/and it was easier to catergorise in launcher as I added one folder at a time after checking with dashboard for conflicts and corrupted files.
Thanks agian I am looking forward to your next update PS you might like to know I had some combined packages I had previously done with SimPE your programme dealt with these fine
Instructor
Original Poster
#306 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lavender
Hi
I have just started to use your launcher I have just a couple of queries can you save the files/folders stored in the installed folder to a external drive to free up disc space or does the launcher need these for rebuilds.

I also use dashboard to check packages and fix them when I found a conflict and removed file, the launcher states file missing will it be possible to delete files if corrupted or duplicated from the launcher in the future?
I am keeping Twallans mods as legacy at the moment so that I can just replace when updated. I am asking this as when new a EP comes out some objects may be incompatable as certain windows were when late night came out.

The great thing is that I when realised I could not delete from launcher. I just saved the install folder re installed launcher and started again as the folders were already categorised I rebuilt/and it was easier to catergorise in launcher as I added one folder at a time after checking with dashboard for conflicts and corrupted files.
Thanks agian I am looking forward to your next update PS you might like to know I had some combined packages I had previously done with SimPE your programme dealt with these fine

The files in the installed content folder need to be available so that the rebuild process can take place. The Archives folder can be emptied if you don't need the original .rar/.7z/.zip files.

I am currently in heavy development of the next version of the custom launcher. It will have many new features such as content deletion and even conflict detection. It is currently in early beta test, and development is progressing as I have time away from school and job.

I'm glad to hear that your pre-combined packages work. I was fairly sure they would, but confirmation is always good..

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Lab Assistant
#307 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 8:33 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that, for some reason, when the launcher combined my packages, it deleted all the packages it put into the combined .MOD files. I forgot to backup, so that's more shame on me than anything. I just slowly delete my hacks out when new versions come up. However, my concern is, when we go to V2, will the .MOD files created by V1 be able to work with it or be converted over?
Instructor
Original Poster
#308 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 1:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matildarose
One thing I forgot to mention is that, for some reason, when the launcher combined my packages, it deleted all the packages it put into the combined .MOD files. I forgot to backup, so that's more shame on me than anything. I just slowly delete my hacks out when new versions come up. However, my concern is, when we go to V2, will the .MOD files created by V1 be able to work with it or be converted over?

Two issues here...

1) The Custom Launcher doesn't actually delete anything from your computer. Every time rebuild operates, it re-builds the combined ModBUILDx.package file from the original .packages... Look in the "The Sims 3\Installed" folder

2) V2 Launcher uses a different database format, and the categorization system is significantly different. Therefore, I don't anticipate being able to make an import/upgrade process work. However, any .package file that the game will recognize will be successfully managed by the V2 Launcher

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#309 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 3:43 PM
Aaah. Thank you! They were moved there.
Test Subject
#310 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 7:42 PM
Hi, Granthes, I have some questions :
1. Is there a limit in packages, which Custom Launcher could load and install? 2. I made some sims3pack files in package format with s3CE or something like that and when Launcher Starts it gives me message "Unknown magic number" - what is this and will it affect my CC in the game?
Instructor
Original Poster
#311 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Stranded
Hi, Granthes, I have some questions :
1. Is there a limit in packages, which Custom Launcher could load and install? 2. I made some sims3pack files in package format with s3CE or something like that and when Launcher Starts it gives me message "Unknown magic number" - what is this and will it affect my CC in the game?

1) The only limit is the size of your hard drive. The launcher doesn't limit you in any way to the number of CC packages installed.

2) The invalid magic number means that you are trying to load a package that is either from a different game (Like Spore) or one that has been extracted from a store package. If it is a store package, you would need to install it as a "Legacy" package, since it is encrypted and the launcher can't un-encrypt it.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#312 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 8:34 AM Last edited by Stranded : 18th Mar 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Thank you, granthes. But you know, yesterday my Custom Launcher loaded my all 4294 packages, but when I tried to load the launcher again - it appeared Black Screen and "Not responding". I think my problem is with CC, but still I'm not sure what exactly is. Anyway, I'm happy with the launcher. I will wait you to improve sims3pack files whenever it happens.. Until then I try with those extracted files. :}.
Oh, I have one more question. Before this "not responding" I had other problem - in CaS. When I tried to change pattern it showed a message "Materializing materials" and I've waited about 30 min - then the game shut down. What's the cause of this? Is it normal when there are too much packages..?
Lab Assistant
#313 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Stranded
Oh, I have one more question. Before this "not responding" I had other problem - in CaS. When I tried to change pattern it showed a message "Materializing materials" and I've waited about 30 min - then the game shut down. What's the cause of this? Is it normal when there are too much packages..?

This happens when you extract a Sims3Pack pattern (to a package) that has been made with the EA Create A Pattern Tool.

It is best to just load patterns with the launcher unless you know for sure that it has not been made with CAP. It could also be a corrupt pattern.
Test Subject
#314 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 12:37 PM
Thanks. I already deleted my CC, which was extracted from sims3pack into package.. I don't have nerves to try this again. :}
Instructor
Original Poster
#315 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMCITIZEN4
This happens when you extract a Sims3Pack pattern (to a package) that has been made with the EA Create A Pattern Tool.

It is best to just load patterns with the launcher unless you know for sure that it has not been made with CAP. It could also be a corrupt pattern.

Thanks for the information on this. I've never used the CAP with the launcher. I'll be sure to test this and figure out what needs to be done to make them work properly.

Lab Assistant
#316 Old 20th Mar 2011 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by granthes
Thanks for the information on this. I've never used the CAP with the launcher. I'll be sure to test this and figure out what needs to be done to make them work properly.

It's a pleasure Grant, glad it was helpful for you. :p
Lab Assistant
#317 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 3:02 AM
Yeah. The only way to diagnose a CAP-made pattern I've found is to open up the Dashboard and look at the previews for all the patterns. It's not fool-proof, but if a preview for a pattern is completely black (ones with a pixel of the pattern showing are okay) or gives you an error message, it's most likely CAP-made (or just a really dark pattern).

Maybe in the future someone will confungle a program that can diagnose and/or fix these patterns, but I can definitely say it has nothing to do with granthes's program.
Lab Assistant
#318 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matildarose
Yeah. The only way to diagnose a CAP-made pattern I've found is to open up the Dashboard and look at the previews for all the patterns. It's not fool-proof, but if a preview for a pattern is completely black (ones with a pixel of the pattern showing are okay) or gives you an error message, it's most likely CAP-made (or just a really dark pattern).

Maybe in the future someone will confungle a program that can diagnose and/or fix these patterns, but I can definitely say it has nothing to do with granthes's program.

Thanks for the info. I have never tried that before.

I agree about a program that can diagnose or fix these patterns, that would be great.
Lab Assistant
#319 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMCITIZEN4
Thanks for the info. I have never tried that before.

I agree about a program that can diagnose or fix these patterns, that would be great.

Yeah. The other way is to pay attention to whether or not a creator says they've made their pattern in CAP. Not everyone understands why they need to do this, however. TSR patterns are almost always CAP patterns, and tribeccasims patterns are also CAP made.

granthes, it'd be awesome if you can figure out something in the far future to deal with this should you ever think of a good method, but I know you already got enough on your plate as is getting V2 ready and working, and dealing with any bugs that arise on release. :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#320 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 10:59 PM
Is the beta for V2 currently available for download/testing?
Instructor
Original Poster
#321 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spookty
Is the beta for V2 currently available for download/testing?

Yes it is. It's still quite buggy, but if you go to http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=12 it will be at the top of the topic list.

Please be very careful to read the known issues and BACKUP YOUR GAME before you use it. The current beta version does not import your configuration from the V1 launcher, so you will need to re-import all of your content.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#322 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 5:35 PM
Might give this a go, the EA launcher is awfully irritable and unpredictable.
Test Subject
#323 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 4:04 AM
Why's this??? "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
Instructor
Original Poster
#324 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by angiew826
Why's this??? "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

This just is telling you that there aren't any custom content packages installed. Place at least one item in the <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. Either a .package file or a .zip/.rar/.7z file containing custom content.

The Custom Launcher needs to control at least 1 item before it will work properly.

Field Researcher
#325 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 3:59 AM
Can't get the launcher to work since i installed late night it just keeps crashing.
Instructor
Original Poster
#326 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honey32
Can't get the launcher to work since i installed late night it just keeps crashing.

Unfortunately, you haven't given me ANY INFORMATION to work with here.

Please take a look at this page: http://sims3.the-prof.net/customlauncherv1help/ It should help you figure out what is going wrong. If not, please use the link at the bottom of that page to log into the support forums and post there.

--Grant

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#327 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 4:15 AM
Yayayayyaayyagdysgwefues
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#328 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 6:44 AM
<3 best thing for the sims 3 yet. Helps me keep track of what packages work & what ones don't.. It's the only reason I have mods after getting late night. ^^; I was ready to give up on them til I found this.
Theorist
#329 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 12:04 AM
Is there a way to compress the files while merging?
Thanks!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#330 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 12:42 AM
Once I figured out that I must highlight (CTRL+A) all the legacy package files and click install it was smooth sailing. It put everything into the *Installed* file. After that, I clicked on rebuild and it made the ModBUILD.package.

I can't get over how much quicker the game runs now. Things like CAS used to take forever because every time you click on a section it reloads. Now the items load in a fraction of the time.

This program is brilliant! Thank you so much!

Peace
DD

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#331 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 4:24 PM
Theres a trojan attached to the file...
Instructor
Original Poster
#332 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simfanatic96
Theres a trojan attached to the file...

Several Cheap online virus scanners have a false positive detection on the self-install version of the download.

5 different professional level Anti-Virus programs have scanned the file and show it to be clean.

If you don't trust the self-install version, please download the manual-install version. It has never had any issues with virus infections or false positive detections.

Lab Assistant
#333 Old 3rd May 2011 at 7:54 PM
Forgive me for not wanting to wade through 14 pages, but I have a question. Is there any way to make this program ignore a folder within the Mods\Packages folder? I ask because I don't want this program to manage the files in my hacks folder. As it is now, if I want to install any new content, I need to move my hacks folder so the program doesn't read it.

Thanks.
Instructor
Original Poster
#334 Old 3rd May 2011 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigiBlue
Forgive me for not wanting to wade through 14 pages, but I have a question. Is there any way to make this program ignore a folder within the Mods\Packages folder? I ask because I don't want this program to manage the files in my hacks folder. As it is now, if I want to install any new content, I need to move my hacks folder so the program doesn't read it.

Thanks.

The files in you hacks folder will show up as Legacy content, but won't be controlled by the custom launcher. Only if you choose to "install" the packages will they come under the control of the launcher. This is true for all files in the Mods\Packages folder.

They will show up in the list but the launcher won't modify them in anyway without your actions.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#335 Old 13th May 2011 at 3:32 PM
Thank-you so much for this program. I don't know how I would have downloaded mods to my Sims 3 game. This is an awesome program. It took me some time to learn how to use it but it works perfectly with my game and it doesn't conflict with my game. Thank-you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for this program!!!!!!!!!!!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#336 Old 16th May 2011 at 3:48 AM
Do I take out all my cc packages after I make the ModBUILd.package? Sorry if it is a stupid questions but I'm not very good with this kind of stuff...
Instructor
Original Poster
#337 Old 16th May 2011 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by innocenteyes
Do I take out all my cc packages after I make the ModBUILd.package? Sorry if it is a stupid questions but I'm not very good with this kind of stuff...

If you have enabled your CC with the Custom Launcher, then it will handle the files for you. You don't want to remove anything because the Custom Launcher will need to know where to find the files for the next time you rebuild.

If you still have packages in your Mods\Packages folder, you can move those to the Downloads folder and run Custom Launcher again to have it install them.

Test Subject
#338 Old 30th May 2011 at 8:10 PM
Default Fix Corrupted Headers
In case anyone encounters the same problem I had, with the Logs giving a warning of 'Mismatched Headers' and saying that Sims3 can't open it:

Found this Gem on Granthes site that fixed it for me : Fix package
Thank you Granthes
Test Subject
#339 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 8:31 AM
So, I have Sims 3 Generations and the Custom Launcher won't work anymore. If I use the old ModBUILD0.package, I get an error ingame with most social interactions don't showing up. This is propably due to one of the installed Mods, Chavik More Fun Activities LN . So, if I want to rebuild the ModBUILD0.package, the launcher says:

"Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt" (object header does not point to a object location), which means I cannot rebuild with changed Mods in the Mods folder.

If I use "set" I don't know what to do, due to Generations it seems the automatically set value no longer applies, and I don't know what to do here. He seems to want a specific file, not a folder, and I don't know which one.

Also the launcher says: Game Error: Null Language Error:Null.

So I would guess in Generations EA changed something which spoiled up the (very excellent and useful) Custom Launcher.
Instructor
Original Poster
#340 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JamesTSchuerk2
So, I have Sims 3 Generations and the Custom Launcher won't work anymore. If I use the old ModBUILD0.package, I get an error ingame with most social interactions don't showing up. This is propably due to one of the installed Mods, Chavik More Fun Activities LN . So, if I want to rebuild the ModBUILD0.package, the launcher says:

"Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt" (object header does not point to a object location), which means I cannot rebuild with changed Mods in the Mods folder.

If I use "set" I don't know what to do, due to Generations it seems the automatically set value no longer applies, and I don't know what to do here. He seems to want a specific file, not a folder, and I don't know which one.

Also the launcher says: Game Error: Null Language Error:Null.

So I would guess in Generations EA changed something which spoiled up the (very excellent and useful) Custom Launcher.

It looks like Generations may have changed the language/country codes that it uses. If the language codes are wrong, then the custom launcher cannot find the "The Sims 3" folder (or the non-English equivalent) properly. This is why you get the crash error.

If you are willing and able, please post the registry details from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sims\The Sims 3" or if you are on a 64-bit OS, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sims\The Sims 3"

The specific value I need to see is the Locale entry.

Thanks,
Grant.

Test Subject
#341 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 11:45 PM
It looks like Generations may have changed the language/country codes that it uses. If the language codes are wrong, then the custom launcher cannot find the "The Sims 3" folder (or the non-English equivalent) properly. This is why you get the crash error.

If you are willing and able, please post the registry details from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sims\The Sims 3" or if you are on a 64-bit OS, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sims\The Sims 3"

Thanks,
Grant.

Hi!
Because I have nealy the same problem with the language error, i can post you my Locale entry: de-DE.
And I have a 32-bit system.
Test Subject
#342 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 12:52 AM
Hey there, I had one question.

I have read the front page of this and a few other posts, but the custom launcher won't even start!

I have Windows 7 64-Bit and as I've read on previous posts, it's compatible with that!

Does the Custom Launcher not work with Outdoor Living Stuff?

I can possibly get a screenshot...
Test Subject
#343 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 7:37 AM
Hi,

it is the local registry key: de-DE just like Aiyuko. I've tinkered around abit. It seems my "normal" Sims 3 installation is in German and uses ".../MyDocuments(German Equivalent)/Electronic Arts/Die Sims 3" (German version). Generations has for whatever reason installed a new one ".../Electronic Arts/The Sims 3" (English version). I'm pretty sure I either clicked Language: German during the installation or nothing, but NOT english as default language.

In order for the Custom launcher to work the mods have to be in the new Generations folder "The Sims3", then I can rebuild ModBUILD0.package, however for them to appear ingame I have copy ModBUILD0.package to the previous normal folder "Die Sims 3".

At least this is what I suspect at the moment, I fiddled around a bit and now the mods work again. I still have to sort out what mod exactly isn´t compatible with Generations and will screw up the social interactions, but that is something else not related to the Custom launcher.
Test Subject
#344 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 8:37 AM
An update:

I reinstalled Generations. It will by default only create a German version for me, i.e. no language selection, and there will only be a folder "Mydocuments/Electronic Arts/Die Sims3". However, the Custom Launcher for some reason will no longer recognize this, and will create a folder ".../The Sims3" in the mydocuments folder everytime I restart.
Test Subject
#345 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JamesTSchuerk2
An update:

I reinstalled Generations. It will by default only create a German version for me, i.e. no language selection, and there will only be a folder "Mydocuments/Electronic Arts/Die Sims3". However, the Custom Launcher for some reason will no longer recognize this, and will create a folder ".../The Sims3" in the mydocuments folder everytime I restart.

I can confirm that. No recognition of the different language. I have the extra folder "The Sims3" as well.
Test Subject
#346 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 3:18 PM

Thanks,
Grant.

Win 7 64 Bit says:

Locale Reg_SZ de-De

Test Subject
#347 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 12:57 PM
i really love this its made modding so much easier but it refuses to accept my core mods why its so annoying it comes up with

script mismatch found 0.2.0.151 expected 0.RL-2.0.151
and then deletes them what am i doing wrong

refuses to deal with
cmar_xcas core
buzz_box of seads
buzz_moar interactions
buzz_necter comberactories
buzz_stock market unlocker

why????

sigh
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#348 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 1:34 PM
Hi, I'm here because I got a post in my XCAS thread saying Custom Launcher didn't recognize the Generations update of XCAS. Does it need updating for the new patch version number of 0.2.0.151?
Test Subject
#349 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 1:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Hi, I'm here because I got a post in my XCAS thread saying Custom Launcher didn't recognize the Generations update of XCAS. Does it need updating for the new patch version number of 0.2.0.151?

i think so not to sure check with someone in the know

sigh
Instructor
Original Poster
#350 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC

Thanks for the update on this one.

I posted a reply in your XCAS thread as well.

I'll be updating Custom Launcher this weekend. Since the way generations stores the core version number is different than expected, it broke the launcher.

I'll be updating this weekend and should have a new version by Monday or Tuesday.

--Grant

Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#351 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 1:34 AM
I'v never been more grateful to see a mod updated.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#352 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 6:30 PM
This is the best utility ever! Have had problems using cc since Late Night, but this nifty program ended that!
Just one question. I was using the previous version, which was causing my game to CTD after the main screen was reached. So I first had CL delete some hacks that could have affected it, due to EA's changes in the last patch. CTD. Then I checked the box for ignoring CC and the game worked again. Anyway, do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new one?
Again, this is my new favorite mod! Great work!
Instructor
Original Poster
#353 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamineannie
This is the best utility ever! Have had problems using cc since Late Night, but this nifty program ended that!
Just one question. I was using the previous version, which was causing my game to CTD after the main screen was reached. So I first had CL delete some hacks that could have affected it, due to EA's changes in the last patch. CTD. Then I checked the box for ignoring CC and the game worked again. Anyway, do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new one?
Again, this is my new favorite mod! Great work!

Custom Launcher setup should automatically update without deleting the old version.

If you use the manual install method, just be sure to overwrite the old files.

Field Researcher
#354 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 4:11 PM
Thank you, Granthes! It worked like a charm. Now I have a very serious question. I had categorized my content (e.g. BuildMode/Plants, etc.) and noticed yesterday that I was "missing" content. I just checked the Installed/Launcher files and while there are indeed subfolders in place - EVERY ONE OF THEM IS EMPTY! Where, oh where are my cc packages now? So I can just load them in uncategorized if need be. These were some of my FAVORITE items, too! Please let me know where to find them. Please, please, please!
Field Researcher
#355 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 4:19 PM
Ah! Never mind - I found them all in my trash can, which fortunately never automatically empties as it is supposed to! In categorizing, do I use a / for a subcategory or is it a \? Maybe that was the problem -then again I did have empty subfolders....
Instructor
Original Poster
#356 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamineannie
Ah! Never mind - I found them all in my trash can, which fortunately never automatically empties as it is supposed to! In categorizing, do I use a / for a subcategory or is it a \? Maybe that was the problem -then again I did have empty subfolders....

When adding sub-categories, you need to use the \ as the separator. This will ensure that the files go into sub-folders.

--Grant

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#357 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 2:21 AM
ok, i have two computers, one desktop, one laptop, both windows 7, laptop is an amd 4 gb ram, desktop intell i5 8 gb ram. have sims 3 with everything up generations installed on both. both ran flawlessly. had the game configed the exact same way on both machines. i updated to the new custom launcher and downloaded some new custom content on my desktop, installed everything and it still works flawlessly. i copied all the files to my wifes laptop and installed them the exact same way, updated custom launcher and it keep crashing. it loaded once then after that nothing. i uninstalled and put the last version of launcher on again and nothing. i manualy set up the mods the way i uded to befor i started using custom launcher and ran from sims launcher and the game loads untill you select you save game or new game, then doesnt mater if you load a game or start new game ..... about 10 seconds into loading, it either freezes or says can not load the sims 3 and shuts down. if i remove all cc and mods it loads fine. my question is ........... why ? why will launcher not work on the laptop, and why do the mods crash the game on one system and work flawlessly on the other. would it work if i copied everything from

C:\Users\Robert\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods
and from
C:\Users\Robert\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Installed\Launcher
to the laptop, since launcher wont work on it and run from the sims launcher
instead of trying to install it all the old way with everything directly in the mods folder the way it is without installing through custom launcher.
sorry if this was a bit long winded, im just very frustrated at the moment

and yes, windows is up to date current .net 4 and everything installed ... like i said, the old launcher worked.....other than the bugs it had with generations, the after update, nothing .... old wouldnt even work after re installing it
Theorist
#358 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 1:04 PM
Does this automatically compress the package? Or is there a seperate way to do that?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Instructor
Original Poster
#359 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Does this automatically compress the package? Or is there a seperate way to do that?

This version of the custom launcher does not support compressing resources during the rebuild operation. A separate program would be necessary to perform the compression.

If the packages being fed to the launcher are compressed, the resulting package will already be compressed, so it is best to compress the individual packages before you install them with the launcher.

Test Subject
#360 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 1:45 PM
it gives me an error:S

Game: Error: Null language Error : Null

what to do about it ? :S
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#361 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 3:18 PM
I Have the same proble Game:Error:Null Lenguaje Error Null
Other question
Can i read and manage sims3pack with this program, because i download the last version on this page and i can't access to sims3pack and tuning features
Thax
Instructor
Original Poster
#362 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tim94
it gives me an error:S

Game: Error: Null language Error : Null

what to do about it ? :S

Quote: Originally posted by maximilian75
I Have the same proble Game:Error:Null Lenguaje Error Null
Other question
Can i read and manage sims3pack with this program, because i download the last version on this page and i can't access to sims3pack and tuning features
Thax

The new version of Custom Launcher has been uploaded. This fixes the "Game:Error" issue that you are seeing.

Also for maximilian75.... This version of the Custom Launcher does not support Sims3Pack files.

The V2 Custom Launcher that I am currently developing will support them, but it is still in beta test form and not ready for general use.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#363 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 12:13 AM
OK,Thanx a lot, I test your v2 beta but crash in the start, maybe it's the same issue of error:Null Lenguaje Error Null
I don't know
Test Subject
#364 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 7:45 PM
Everything worked great. Then I moved over all of my launcher-installed sims3packs that I turned into .packages. Now it crashes at startup. I tried to re-install the program, but same issue. I'm using the 3101 version.

***EDIT***

While troubleshooting and searching these comment pages, I had accidentally left the program running. The black window I had before had sometime changed to the working program.
So while everything told me it had failed and was not running, it must have been loading all of my new CC.
So if anyone else gets an empty window when they launch this, try waiting for a few minutes or longer in my case.
Lab Assistant
#365 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 10:18 PM
Running the Custom Launcher with all EPs and updates but NOT including Generations I am still seeing the error message "Script Version Mismatch Found" - repeated. Is this important?
Instructor
Original Poster
#366 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sita
Running the Custom Launcher with all EPs and updates but NOT including Generations I am still seeing the error message "Script Version Mismatch Found" - repeated. Is this important?

The Script Version Mismatch Found is no-longer relevant. Just ignore that warning.

Lab Assistant
#367 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 11:35 AM
Thank you Granthes
Lab Assistant
#368 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 3:03 PM
I tried to register for your website but it gave me the run-around. I hope you see my problem here, my launcher crashes whenever I attempt to add a new package to the build. I put them in the downloads' folder and start up the launcher but it crashes each time. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium version.
Instructor
Original Poster
#369 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Strawberry Kiwi
I tried to register for your website but it gave me the run-around. I hope you see my problem here, my launcher crashes whenever I attempt to add a new package to the build. I put them in the downloads' folder and start up the launcher but it crashes each time. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium version.

Hmm. Sorry that my forums are giving you problems... I'll look into that to see what is going on.

As far as the crash issue, I would need to have you PM me the S3Launcher.log file so I can see what is causing the issue.

Thanks,

--Grant.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#370 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 4:52 AM
this shows a warning of "possible script mismatch" with awesome mod beta??

ver 1.22. All EPs & SPs. Any suggestions?
Instructor
Original Poster
#371 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sou_sims3
this shows a warning of "possible script mismatch" with awesome mod beta??

ver 1.22. All EPs & SPs. Any suggestions?

Just ignore any such errors. That feature of Custom Launcher is no-longer working... It won't disable those packages. If the game doesn't complain, the package should be loading fine.

Test Subject
#372 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 2:13 PM
Can this be used to remove packages installed my Monkeyhelper, if not, how do I uninstall them?
Instructor
Original Poster
#373 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WizardOfTheLawl
Can this be used to remove packages installed my Monkeyhelper, if not, how do I uninstall them?

If you check the "Show Legacy" check box, packages installed by Helper Monkey should show up.

You can choose either to delete them, or to "Install" them from that point.

--Grant

Test Subject
#374 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 7:36 PM
If you check the "Show Legacy" check box, packages installed by Helper Monkey should show up.

You can choose either to delete them, or to "Install" them from that point.

--Grant

is the 'Show Legacy' button in the sims 3 launcher? For my monkeyhelper, I just right click on the package and click 'Install to Sims 3.'
Instructor
Original Poster
#375 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WizardOfTheLawl
is the 'Show Legacy' button in the sims 3 launcher? For my monkeyhelper, I just right click on the package and click 'Install to Sims 3.'

Right. The Custom Launcher is where you'll find the "Show Legacy" choice.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#376 Old 10th Jul 2011 at 7:18 PM
Just wanted to come by and say thanks for your hard work! I'm very particular about what mods and files I add to the game, but this is really great and increases my load time a 100%. This is definitely up there with Twallan's mods, so thank again!
Test Subject
#377 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 8:49 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure if I'm missing something but i can't figure out how to get the launcher to pick up my content. It also says I need to rebuild but when I do it says rebuild failed. I am pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#378 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 5:23 AM
Thank you very much. Would you please give the Launcher the ability to manage sims3pack soon? We are so miserable with EA Launcher for so long.
Test Subject
#379 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 2:34 AM
Does the latest version work without Generations?
Instructor
Original Poster
#380 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by weemanply109
Does the latest version work without Generations?

Of course it does.

Test Subject
#381 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 2:33 PM
Hi I am Italian and I'd like to know how to combine package files.. Which is the exact procedure? Thank you very much!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#382 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 9:22 AM
Thanks for this marvellous tool, sorry it took so long.
Test Subject
#383 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 1:58 PM
I just used the installer for version 3101 on a previously unmodded game. The resource.cfg file that was created by the installer has a misspelling in the line Packedfile DCCache/*.dbc - on mine it was DCCacahe or something similar before I changed it. I don't know how much the misspelling would affect the program, but thought you should know.
Instructor
Original Poster
#384 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ltrskn
I just used the installer for version 3101 on a previously unmodded game. The resource.cfg file that was created by the installer has a misspelling in the line Packedfile DCCache/*.dbc - on mine it was DCCacahe or something similar before I changed it. I don't know how much the misspelling would affect the program, but thought you should know.

Thanks for the update. I'll look into that and make sure that it gets corrected.

Very few people actually used the DCCache mechanism so I'm not surprised that it slipped past...

Lab Assistant
#385 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 6:19 AM
Okay... maybe I am just stupid or something. And thank you for creating this beautiful launcher. You have helped my game to stop from crashing. Yay! Anyways, does this install sim3pack files?
Test Subject
#386 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 11:52 AM
Two things...

1) Bit of a biggy, it keeps crashing (not responding) when I load it up
2) Does it install sims 3 packs?

This looks like it could be very useful...
Instructor
Original Poster
#387 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimTim123
Two things...

1) Bit of a biggy, it keeps crashing (not responding) when I load it up
2) Does it install sims 3 packs?

This looks like it could be very useful...

Several people have asked if this supports Sims3packs. This version does not. There is a version in development that does support them. A beta test version of that is available on my forums. See the link in my sig. to download it.

As far as the crashing issue goes, the best way to solve that is to take a look at the log file generated by the launcher. If you want to post the log to my forums, I'd be happy to troubleshoot it for you.

Test Subject
#388 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 7:33 AM
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is this compatible with patch 1.24?
Instructor
Original Poster
#389 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kristaj
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is this compatible with patch 1.24?

I did some preliminary testing on patch 1.24 and everything appears to be ok.

Stuff Packs and the associated patches are less likely to break tools like Custom Launcher than Expansion Packs. So I expect everything should be fine.

Test Subject
#390 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 8:13 PM
I did some preliminary testing on patch 1.24 and everything appears to be ok.

Stuff Packs and the associated patches are less likely to break tools like Custom Launcher than Expansion Packs. So I expect everything should be fine.

Great, thank you!
Instructor
#391 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 5:15 PM
Everytime I try to run the Launcher, (yours) I get the message that "S3Launcher stopped working" and I can only close, wait, or report the error.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Instructor
Original Poster
#392 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by van Dorn
Everytime I try to run the Launcher, (yours) I get the message that "S3Launcher stopped working" and I can only close, wait, or report the error.

This is the behavior that happens when there is a corrupted package file in either the downloads or content folders.

If you look in you <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder, you should find a folder called logs. Inside there should be several log files. Try again to run the launcher, then look at the newest log file and see if there are any hints to the problem.

Feel free to PM me the log entries as well, I'd be happy to help track down the problem.

Test Subject
#393 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 6:55 PM Last edited by jdiddleymspot : 5th Aug 2011 at 7:09 PM.
Hi there,

I'm running version 2885 with Sims 3 version 1.24. I have Ambitions, Late Night and Town Life Stuff on a fast Windows 7 x64 system.

I have a problem with this launcher, in that it seems to take an age from when I click the .exe to when the launcher actually appears.

Any ideas why?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#394 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 6:56 PM
Great program otherwise!
Instructor
Original Poster
#395 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jdiddleymspot
Hi there,

I'm running version 2885 with Sims 3 version 1.24. I have Ambitions, Late Night and Town Life Stuff on a fast Windows 7 x64 system.

I have a problem with this launcher, in that it seems to take an age from when I click the .exe to when the launcher actually appears.

Any ideas why?

The Custom Launcher has to scan all of your packages each time when it starts up. The more packages you have, the longer it takes.

This is a known issue and is being addressed in the upcoming V2 Custom Launcher.

Hang in there for a while longer and I should have the V2 launcher ready to go by Christmas time. (Yes it's a big project... )

Test Subject
#396 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 8:19 PM
Thank you for the prompt response. Looking forward to the V2!
Test Subject
#397 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 11:32 PM
I have noticed a hang-up that the custom launcher has after it executes. Once the EA launcher comes up, all the .sim3pack are not showing as installed, even if they have already been installed. I have to go to the downloads tab and re-install everything every time i start up the game. It's not really game-breaking, but it is a little annoying.
Test Subject
#398 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 11:37 PM
I don't know if this is supposed to do this but, i downloaded about 40 things (sim3packs from TSR). and when i started the launcher, the new items did not show up. According to my sister everything i download something the only way for them to show up in the game is to do a rebuild...the launcher doesn't automatically scan an add new files? i have to rebuild EVERY time i download one thing? It doesn't say i need a rebuild though.
Instructor
Original Poster
#399 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chrissytina81686
I don't know if this is supposed to do this but, i downloaded about 40 things (sim3packs from TSR). and when i started the launcher, the new items did not show up. According to my sister everything i download something the only way for them to show up in the game is to do a rebuild...the launcher doesn't automatically scan an add new files? i have to rebuild EVERY time i download one thing? It doesn't say i need a rebuild though.

The custom launcher doesn't support sims3pack files, so you will still need to install those using the EA Launcher. Any package files that you download will be detected and a rebuild will be done automatically for you.

--Grant

Top Secret Researcher
#400 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 7:03 PM
I did not find a readme file when downloading and the website has been down for a while. Any place we can find documentation on how to use this? Thank you!
Page 4 of 5