Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 8:08 PM
Default Weird local products
We all know the big brands of stuff like Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Dr. Pepper-7UP for soft drinks and KraftHeinz and Mondelez for food.

But I want to know the weird local brands, stuff that is found like maybe in a 5-10 mile radius of your home.

For my locale, there is Inca Cola, a bright yellow, caffeinated soda with a label showing what looks like the remains of the ancient deserted city of Tikal. I haven't tasted it, so I cannot gauge if it has a Brand A or Brand X flavor.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 6:17 PM
Joppiesauce

Its basically mayonnaise with some sort of curry onion, but also kind of sour flavour? I'm not sure how else to describe it You can get it on chips at the snackbar / kiosk. Obviously you can also buy tubes and bottles of the stuff, though I don't like it enough to buy it. I think in 2011 Lays did a competition for "make your own flavour" and so now joppiesauce flavoured crisps are a thing too.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 9:25 PM
Paprykarz szczeciński and pasztecik szczeciński. Two local specialties in Szczecin. My favourite pasztecik is the one with minced beef + a cup of barszcz (eng. borscht).

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Theorist
#4 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 9:46 PM
Bagels? Pizza? Everything? I don't know. You can get what you want here but it will cost you.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
#5 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 1:17 AM
The only weird local stuff I have in my neighborhood are foreign imports from the Caribbean and Asia. One of them is basil seed juice made by Pran.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 2:08 PM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 3rd Apr 2020 at 2:26 PM.
Vernor's Ginger Ale
Pickled Bologna
Chopped Beef
Karstens Ice Cream

Always had Vernor's as a kid in Mich. but never saw it till a few years back down here in TX. Mom would give it to us if we complained of a tummy ache.

Don't see pickled bologna down here either. (Or garlic bologna, for that matter). Dad would always stop at the "party store" (convenience store) to get some to snack on when we went on Sat/Sun drives. Eaten with saltine crackers.

Chopped beef? When I ask people if they ever had it, they say they never heard of it. It's raw beef, chopped with tons of onions and black pepper, also eaten on saltine crackers.

Karstens Dairy Farm - Milk products and locally made ice cream. They also had a small restaurant in town with fountain drinks and the best french fries ever. Of course if you got a fountain drink you added a flavor to it like vanilla, cherry, etc. My favorite was lemon coke. Dad's favorite ice cream - Butter Pecan. On special occasions, Mom would make us milk shakes with one quart vanilla ice cream and one quart chocolate ice cream + the milk. Big family and all of us a bit chunky.
Down here in Texas it's Bluebell Ice Cream.

Oh! the memories!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 3:20 PM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 3rd Apr 2020 at 4:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
Paprykarz szczeciński and pasztecik szczeciński. Two local specialties in Szczecin. My favourite pasztecik is the one with minced beef + a cup of barszcz (eng. borscht).

Just want to tell you that whenever I see your posts it reminds me of my Polish Heritage!

A few of the foods my grandmother would make ( and I just researched them ) well, I remember how the words sounded but not spelled.

Glumki - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2...lobki-gawumpki/ I always thought this was the thick noodles that were in alot of the soups & stews she made, but not.

Punchki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki Busha's (grandma) were never filled but she'd put them in a brown paper bag with lots of powdered sugar. The bag would be all greasy looking from the doughnuts. I can still taste these in my mind!

Churninna - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czernina This was really gross but I really liked it. They used goose blood and I remember when they collected it. Was pretty exciting for a young kid. It also had prunes and those thick noodle/dumpling things.

So anyway, I just wanted to pass that along and to tell you that it brings back really nice memories for me

I just found the dumpling things - Kluski, which is actually spelled the way it sounds! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kluski
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 5:12 PM
@KatyFernlily, good to see someone who knows what I like eating on a daily basis.

Gołąbki are really delicious. I remember my grandma making them when I was a kid. Me and my mum would visit her and she would have some for us. Now my mum makes them and I always look forward to eating them. She doesn't ise a lot of spices but it doesn't make them bland. They're tasteful and nourishing.

Pączki can be served with a variety of fillings, for example jam, marmelade, chocolate, eggnog, you name it.

Czernina is something I don't remember trying. I'll definitely try it one day after the lockdown ends.

Kluski are very filling and there are countless varieties depending on the region. Kluski śląskie are thought to be most popular.

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Alchemist
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 6:05 PM
Joppiesauce is great.
Here in northern Germany is a company called 'Küstengold' (Gold from the shore) which sells anything from honey and milk to pens and lighters.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#10 Old 11th Apr 2020 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
We all know the big brands of stuff like Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Dr. Pepper-7UP for soft drinks and KraftHeinz and Mondelez for food.

But I want to know the weird local brands, stuff that is found like maybe in a 5-10 mile radius of your home.

For my locale, there is Inca Cola, a bright yellow, caffeinated soda with a label showing what looks like the remains of the ancient deserted city of Tikal. I haven't tasted it, so I cannot gauge if it has a Brand A or Brand X flavor.

Yeah, it's Peruvian Soda. It's a delicacy that tastes like bubble gum mixed with cream soda. Its tastes real good! It's very common here in Los Angeles.

Dag-Dag
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Apr 2020 at 11:58 PM
Llaeth y llan - really nice yogurts. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head and I'm not 100% sure it's just limited to Wales... They might sell them in other areas of Britain too. What about Welsh cakes? Spread some butter over them and they're... Edible.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 6:06 PM
Getmese, which is made from whey and boiled for hours.

It's sort of a cheese I guess? But not. Used like cheese anyway, but on a sandwich and not in food. Northern Sweden
Space Pony
#13 Old 2nd May 2020 at 12:00 PM
Durian. It is so hard to find durian and durian flavored products but they do exist where I live and they are legal. It's an acquired taste, kinda like onion and passion-fruit together or something.

Dag-Dag
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RicoSuavecito
Yeah, it's Peruvian Soda. It's a delicacy that tastes like bubble gum mixed with cream soda. Its tastes real good! It's very common here in Los Angeles.

I have tasted it and I can confirm it tastes like bubblegum and cream soda.

Not too shabby!

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 5th May 2020 at 1:09 PM
Cocktails in ready-to-drink packs exist here in where I live. How that is weird is that they look like some juice packs kids usually have in their lunch boxes from afar

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th May 2020 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
I have tasted it and I can confirm it tastes like bubblegum and cream soda.

Not too shabby!

I had the lesser known Big Red, a vanilla\bubblegum soda from 7UP-Dr. Pepper.