Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Carpool Not Showing Up - FIX

by Erzengel Posted 23rd Jul 2005 at 11:17 PM - Updated 16th Dec 2008 at 1:20 PM by -Maylin-

66 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 65 Feedback Posts
Page 2 of 3
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 10:33 PM
Trying it now. Thanks so much for this. I'd given up hope that this problem would ever be addressed..so glad that it is!
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 10:57 PM
Wee it works! I made the mistake though of not paying attention to what direction the arrow was pointing and ended up with a delivery man in my sims yard lol..exited without saving of course and correcting that problem
Instructor
#28 Old 21st Aug 2005 at 5:37 AM
Thanks, I only wish that someone could have made this before I had to demolish one of my favorite houses due to to the problem lol. Oh well.
Test Subject
#29 Old 21st Aug 2005 at 8:40 AM
I can't thank you enough for making this! It worked perfectly and now my legacy sims won't have to waste their time cleaning the toilets, they can hire that lovely Remington to do that for them THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :bow:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#30 Old 21st Aug 2005 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tankgirl73
Just one question -- are you sure the position for 'service-start' (which was my missing portal) is exactly right? Or I should ask -- by '2 squares in' do you mean 'on the 2nd square' or do you mean 'on the 3rd square, so that there are 2 empty squares in between'?

Because I did the first... on the second square in... and it works brilliantly but the vehicles come in half on the sidewalk!

No, you interpreted it correctly, I just had it wrong because I didn't experiance the missing service vehicles problem. I understand what the problem is now, so I'll fix it in the instructions.

I've looked into making the portals visible (granted I've been busy with other things), and while I can make the portal you're placing visible, I can't make preplaced portals visible (that is, those that come with lots) yet.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 22nd Aug 2005 at 2:25 PM
Erzengel: this looks brilliant and I wonder if it will help me with THIS problem:

I was asked if I could convert one of my residential lots to a community lot for a downloader. I did that just fine using the Maxis 'changeLotZoning' cheat. I added the taxi phone and waste bin, removed the mailbox and trashcan. My Sims can use the lot just fine, but some townies get stuck at the left portal. I used Inge Jones' fab Teleporter Bush to clear out the lot, saved and restarted, but within 5 mins, the townies were sticking again.

Do you know what might be wrong?

Sue
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 6:41 PM
Just to let you all know, it worked with me too! I followed Erzengel's turtorial and I found out I was missing the Car Start Portal and then was able to get my favourite lot working again thats been corrupted for months, I was just in the verging of completing giving up and demolishing until I came across this helpful thread.

Now my kids can go to school!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 1st Sep 2005 at 12:57 AM
I've just salvaged a long-abandonded legacy lot, too.

My problem was also with the service start portal. It worked, but...the grocery delivery van showed up in the *back* yard.

I exited without saving. I'm going to double check the description of *where* to put the portal, and try it again.

But no worries. I am thrilled to know I can salvage this lot. And, if the deliveries insist on showing up in the backyard, I'll just build a back-alley for them--service people shouldn't have the affrontery to use the front door for deliveries anyways.

~D2K
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 5:29 PM
i really needed this thankyou i tried to sort it out myself but couldnt your a genius!!
Instructor
#35 Old 4th Sep 2005 at 6:48 PM
Simple thanks is totally inadequate for yours and Crammyboy's achievements. I think I will have to build a monument to you in each of my sim neighborhoods. Do you have any preferences as to what form it should take? Erzengal Memorial Park? Erzengal Library and Music Hall? Erzengal Pleasure Palace? Any other ideas? Hmm, and all my sims could name their babies after you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 5th Sep 2005 at 5:04 AM
Cyclonesue: I've never done anything like that myself, so I don't have any idea what the problem could be. If you use "BoolProp TestingCheatsEnabled true", shift+click on and object, and click force error, you will get a log. If you send that to me via PM I could take a look over it, see if anything jumps out.
Oh, and click "cancel" or "ignore" to the popup so that you won't reset or delete the object.

Draftzilla: The problem sounds like you turned the portal the wrong way. The direction of the green arrow on the ground is the direction the car will point. If you point it the wrong way it will end up driving through your house or something.

Hedgekat: Well, considering that "Erzengel" means "Archangel" in German, I suppose a german cathedral would be fitting. Or perhaps a chapel would be easier. Darn, now you've got me wanting to make myself of cathedral instead of working on BHAVs...
Field Researcher
#37 Old 6th Sep 2005 at 6:48 PM
Used this Fix...
and it worked fine, I am glad to say. I did not see these points in the instructions I got, and thought I would share:
  • You must use moveobjects on to place the portal, because the game will not allow you to place items on the street.
  • You must exit without saving to start all over if you place the portal in the wrong place. They are invisible, and so you can't find them to move them.
  • When I reloaded the lot to place the portal, a warning box came up telling me, "Warning: Portal has been deleted. Exit without saving." If I had done that, I would have been caught in a circular reference mode that would have had me going crazy. My advice: ignore that if you are going to fix the portal.

Thank goodness for you and your giant brains!!

New Judfer creations at Sims2 Noir.
Live Free or Die.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 6th Sep 2005 at 11:18 PM
Thanks, Judfer, this is good to know.
#39 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 7:18 AM
Curses. This isn't what's wrong with my game. I've been messing around with it, and it seems like one of my downloads has overwritten most of the cars from the carpools. The ambulance still shows up for the Medicine field, but that seems to be the only one so far.

I have a saved neighborhood with the car for Criminal career still in the neighborhood, but the game crashes every time I try to load it when my Downloads folder is active.

Anyone know what download could be doing this?

Here is the log of the crash.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#40 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 5:56 PM
Judfer: I assume that #3 was because of Crammyboy's fix.
#1 is mentioned in the instructions.
#2 is half-way mentioned in the instructions as well ("BEFORE SAVING call a (VEHICLE_SIDE) and see if everything works right.")

Jestro: Unfortunately, and exception log is of little use in this case. I'm afraid you're going to have to take out all your downloads and put them back in to determine which is causing the problem. (I would do chunks of 10% of your original download folder at a time, and once you find the chunk that causes the problem, take it back out, and do chunks of 10% of that chunk, and repeat this until you've isolated the file that causes the problem.)
Test Subject
#41 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 6:49 PM
Erzengel~ Thanks so much for your work on this. The download is no longer attached to this thread (perhaps from the move to a new board look?) Anyway, would you be able to add the file again to the initial post in this thread? I'm in desperate need of it.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 15th Sep 2005 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moss
Erzengel~ Thanks so much for your work on this. The download is no longer attached to this thread (perhaps from the move to a new board look?) Anyway, would you be able to add the file again to the initial post in this thread? I'm in desperate need of it.

I see a big yellow box at the top of the page that says, "Downloads are currently OFFLINE. They will be back shortly."
Test Subject
#43 Old 15th Sep 2005 at 12:57 PM Last edited by Moss : 15th Sep 2005 at 12:59 PM.
I'm aware of that fact.

Actually, I posted this when downloads were online, early in the afternoon.

If you look you'll notice that offline downloads still show up as a link; this thread is totally missing its dl link.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 15th Sep 2005 at 1:05 PM Last edited by rainbow : 15th Sep 2005 at 1:11 PM.
Just trying to be helpful. Didn't mean to offend. Obviously you can read, but sometimes people miss seeing stuff. Maybe when the downloads come back online, the link will too. I see that it says no files to download, but I wasn't aware that wasn't normal when downloads are offline.
Instructor
#45 Old 16th Sep 2005 at 2:13 AM
How do we get the d/l since it's been removed from this thread? Thanks!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#46 Old 16th Sep 2005 at 4:17 PM
Okay, I don't know why we lost the download, but I've uploaded it again. You should be able to download it now.
Test Subject
#47 Old 16th Sep 2005 at 6:23 PM
You're a gem; thank you! Much appreciated.
Test Subject
#48 Old 18th Sep 2005 at 10:07 AM
Just popping in to see if this fix has been tested and okayed for Nightlife yet. I worked brilliantly in my University version - thanks! :D

~Cindy
Tradewind Sims Designs

"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide."
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 18th Sep 2005 at 10:01 PM
Ok, now from Crammyboy's fix, I thought this would be a the place to go to clear up the annoying lagging of the game caused by a lame Sim just standing there.

All my portals were fine, I just had to move the mailbox and garbage can back to the street. But the Sims still stand there and lag my game. Help?
Test Subject
#50 Old 20th Sep 2005 at 3:10 AM
I would also like to know if this fixes the problem of NPCs constantly spawning "offscreen" because the maid/repairman/gardener can't get through. I had to delete two hundred repairmen and gardeners because they kept trying to go to work and the car never shows. Complete slowdown.

It's happened on two of the three lots I've played since installing Nightlife - I have the preventative now though - and I'm reluctant to try too many more unless I have a fix. It's happening with the maids now and seems to be occuring when a maid was at the house before I installed NL. They wander back and forth and can't leave, and so I assume it's the portal at fault, though neighbors can walk by okay and the kids go to school okay. I hope this will fix it!
Page 2 of 3