Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:00 PM
Default Gardening Guide - All Tips, Hints, Questions, etc. about Gardening go here!
Omigosh, where'd all the info go?!

Because we had a really great FAQ going with all of the basic information, I decided to go ahead and convert this great article into a FAQ page. You can find it (with new, easier navigation, some typo correction, and better organization) on the Sims2Wiki, specifically this page:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?..._Help:Gardening

Thanks so much to everyone who has added info - please keep it up and keep asking questions and offering tips if you have them. I'll check in and update the wiki page as necessary.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 6:01 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 6:13 PM
this is great , thanks for doing this!!!!
Scholar
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 6:21 PM
One more tip: When you get the Gold Gardening Badge, you unlock "talk to" interaction with plants and fruit trees, Talking to plants will make them happy really fast.
Test Subject
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 7:00 PM
I have a problem with my green house...the environment score is 0 even when i put multiple sun lamps in there. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by greenmtx
I have a problem with my green house...the environment score is 0 even when i put multiple sun lamps in there. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Are any if your plants dead?

Thanks HP.
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 7:49 PM
Nope, all of the plants are 'thriving', tended to, and watered.
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 8:50 PM
You're the best, HP! Thank you SOOOO much for doing this!!!!
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 9:49 PM
Thank you for this!!

Any tips about which seasons to grow/harvest which fruits and vegetables for the best quality?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm

What are the rewards for a high rated garden?
Garden ratings are from 1 to 1000 (?) points...

Over 700 - Wishing Well
(More info needed on the other rewards)

Thanks go to the following people for adding tips that have been incorporated into this FAQ: squall117, thejarviclan, canoodle

Points? In what way points? I ask this because I had two visits and got two msgs after they finished inspection, both time I got money so am not sure if the number of points equates the amount of money

- 1: 773 and no wishing well.
- 2: 1778 and a wishing well

The well has two pies - one is drink, the other branches of to (3 options) wish for money (got 1000 simoleans for asp platinum) love and romance. Haven't tried those out.

Also the bad for the plants is if they are over-watered.
#11 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 10:45 PM
I moved some sims into a lot with several orange trees... I then proceeded to mess with the weather machine, causing some snow and hail and such. The trees are now labelled as "sickly." My sims don't have an option to get them better, what should I do? I put a ladybug thingie out there with them.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Howabominable
I moved some sims into a lot with several orange trees... I then proceeded to mess with the weather machine, causing some snow and hail and such. The trees are now labelled as "sickly." My sims don't have an option to get them better, what should I do? I put a ladybug thingie out there with them.

If you have a gold badge, talk to them, that'll help. If not let it be, they should get better on their own, barring more hail.

This is why I keep everything in a greenhouse, no issues like this.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 11:10 PM
Thanks for this, it's going to be real handy.

I've noticed in a couple of other threads that people have said when the sprinklers break it's not real obvious but it over waters your plants. I'm not sure if that sort of info would be helpful in the guide.

I second carla's request for info on when the best times to plant/harvest are. I know as a general rule you should plant in spring, harvest in autumn but does that apply to all plants?

howabominable...keep checking your plants until the spray/tend options come up (they're not always available) and do whatever it lets you do. You should gain garden skills by doing so and keep them at least alive till you can gain the badges.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 11:18 PM
Just so ya'll know, I'm collecting info from my own (limited) gameplay experience and stuff I've read - don't take this thread as gospel just yet, but I thought some of the major questions I've seen asked (and asked myself) might be helpful all in one place.

I'll edit in any further tips in a bit - please share your gameplay experiences and if you can confirm, clarify, or correct anything, please do let me know.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FrootLoop
Thanks for this, it's going to be real handy.

I've noticed in a couple of other threads that people have said when the sprinklers break it's not real obvious but it over waters your plants. I'm not sure if that sort of info would be helpful in the guide.

I second carla's request for info on when the best times to plant/harvest are. I know as a general rule you should plant in spring, harvest in autumn but does that apply to all plants?

Well, I've done lot's of gardening in my game. I always use a greenhouse. My garden Sim has a gold badge. Now trees hibernate even in the greenhouse in the winter, so then you can't do a thing, but I've had the same (meaning max results) with them and plants, and I never bothered with the seasons/time of planting. I have two ladybugs houses and 3 trees and 24 plants per greenhouse - never had any bugs.

Fertilize the ground. Plant. Somewhere there about the sprinklers should turn on. There is an option - water many - water only when this is available. When they start sprouting weeds use - tend many. You can time it really so that water many/tend many cycle is at pretty much the same time of the day, usually morning for me because I always plant new batches in the morning.

This should be it. I get maxed out results every time. Sprinklers seem to get turned on at the same time, morning/evening in my case so it's easy to follow.

Tend trees as well and when it's time for harvest, do not! do it if the color is less - talk to them and their health will rise and the color will go to full - then harvest. It's not that hard really. Same works for plants, if they are not thriving and you can harvest, talk to them to bring the health up.

Also a TIP: You can overwater a plant once it's ready for harvest to get it thriving and the best quality fruit/veg appear. Sort of like doing it by force but who cares since the plant disappears once you harvest.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 11:26 PM
i already became a plant-sim and i didn't spray very much

my dear lord, it's the ferocious black beast of Rhipsanydoridontodontodontodon, with its large black teeth that can eat 3 humans at once, mate 3 times a year, can reach an average speed of 80 miles/hour, and is 50 ft aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhh

P.S. if you have seen him put this in your signature
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ashen
Also a TIP: You can overwater a plant once it's ready for harvest to get it thriving and the best quality fruit/veg appear. Sort of like doing it by force but who cares since the plant disappears once you harvest.

Thanks for all the info ashen, I haven't got the simoleans for a greenhouse yet but I'm going to try out that overwatering tip. :D
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 12:31 AM
I have a garden club question, once you get the wishing well, what else is the garden club good for?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 1:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you get discounts on seeds.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 2:35 AM
Where is the scarecrow in the game??
Field Researcher
#21 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 2:41 AM
I think in the decorative if I remember well.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 3:22 AM
How to make juice:

First, purchase the Main Squeezer 235X juicer.
Stock the juicer with produce (fruits, veggies, or boots).
Once you have enough stocked, if you select the juicer you should be able to mix and match the different produce to make tasty (or not so tasty) juices.

You can make:
Apple Juice (4 apples) - finish homework faster.
Beauty cocktail (2 oranges, 1 cucumber) - love potion.
Eggplant juice (1 eggplant) - random skill points.
Lemonade (4 lemons) - cools sims down.
Orange juice (4 oranges) - cures colds.
Orangeade (3 oranges, 1 lemon) - random badge points.
Pepper Punch (1 pepper, 4 pole beans, 2 apples) - energy boost.
Pureed boot (1 boot) - freak out (sim does random animations), no hunger satisfaction.
Strawberry juice (6 strawberries) - clears furious bit.
Tomato juice (3 tomatoes) - warms sims up.
Vegetable cocktail (2 tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 1 pepper, 3 pole beans) - build skills faster.

Gardening Rewards:
You can score points in the following ways:
1.) gardening: -1000 to 700 points.
2.) landscaping: -1000 to 500 points.
3.) messes: -1000 to 0 points.

The final score is expressed in one of five thresholds:
1.) very low: -3000 to -200.
2.) low: -100 to 99.
3.) normal: 100 to 399.
4.) high: 400-699.
5.) very high: 700-1000

Prizes (for scores of normal or better) include:
1.) gardening supply discount (25% off of greenhouse placement, ladybug houses, sprinklers, seeds and fertilizer).
2.) monetary (depends on final score: 1.5x the final score).
3.) wishing well: can only get if you get a FINAL SCORE of MORE THAN 700. With it, you can wish for money (might get hit on the head), friends (or enemies) or romance (a beat down from Mrs. Crumplebottom).

You can be reviewed by the Garden Club as many times as you want ... and you can get multiple wells. Each well gets 5 uses ... but try not to use it TOO much ... or bad things will happen.

If you've been reviewed before by the Garden Club and got a favorable review, if you try to get reviewed again and get a BAD review, your membership gets revoked! EEK!

All of this info is directly from the Prima Guide.

:D
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 7:14 AM
what meals can u make extra if i put veggies in the fridge?
i only get extra meals if i put fish in it

my dear lord, it's the ferocious black beast of Rhipsanydoridontodontodontodon, with its large black teeth that can eat 3 humans at once, mate 3 times a year, can reach an average speed of 80 miles/hour, and is 50 ft aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhh

P.S. if you have seen him put this in your signature
Test Subject
#24 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 8:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by greenmtx

I'll tell ya what... that happened to me, and it was so frustrating because I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I even put a statue in there with an environment score of 10... not even that worked! Thennn I took my sprinklers out that I had in there. That was what finally did the trick for me. I think my sims were getting wet while gardening, and they didn't like it. So I'll ask you... do you have any sprinklers in your greenhouse? Try taking them out if you do. :howdy:
Test Subject
#25 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wargarurumon
what meals can u make extra if i put veggies in the fridge?
i only get extra meals if i put fish in it

I could be wrong, but I think the fruits and veggies are only used in making juices with the juicer. Ha! I added 4 oranges and 4 lemons and got orangeade It automatically made up that name for me! :howdy: I think I'm gonna try and make some other funky recipes and see what I get.
Page 1 of 6