Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 6:36 PM
I fear corruption to and have to get sim backup equipment. Until then, I try not to make bad things. Ofcourse, nobodys perfect. Once I deleted a sim from the simbin that had been tested in the game and I think I had one or two resets on lots due to failing on using Boolprop cheats. Sometimes strange things happends on lots but I hope that this problems does'nt have anything to do whit the game and that I could blame them om my computer (like yesterday then I was loading the game and the computer restarted. First thing after windows was loaded was a small text saying: "A new version of Java is avalible-want to download it now?" If the game had been running it had been minimised). I had some strange things happening in the game but I do not think they have nothing to do whit corruption. I fear it, but I I'm safe. I did read the wiki and have done non of this things (execpt a deleted sim a long time ago).
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 6:39 PM Last edited by gazania : 10th Mar 2012 at 1:25 PM.
Yup. I may finally cave in and seek out a good hack to keep Mrs. C away from my guys. (Not terribly hard, I would presume ... there are three places right off the bat where I would look first, and possibly a fourth if I can't find it in the "top three"). Not get rid of her ... just reducing the annoyance factor. (So no, I don't want the "Get Rid of Mrs. C. Hack". Yet.) She can be quite a romantically pushy lady if I'm not careful, and the sight is not pleasant to behold. Amazingly, she never lets go of her purse.

EDIT ... Well, if I understand what Pescado is writing, Mrs. C's attempts to romance my guys should not, at least, harm my game. From what I'm reading, while avoiding Mrs. C is still a good idea, the real problem appears to be if you permanently change her, not if she decides to be a cougar and gets a corresponding memory afterward. Whew on that:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,14586.0.html

"Anything which results in a permanent state change to Mrs. Crumplebottom is out. Therefore, do not do any of the following.
1. Kill Mrs. Crumplebottom
2. Turn Mrs. Crumplebottom into any form of creature.
3. Attempt to alter Mrs. Crumplebottom's appearance or character data in any way either inside or outside of the game.

Things you CAN do:
1. Poke and otherwise argue with Mrs. Crumplebottom.
2. Delete her from the lot using move_objects, Ingelogical, or any other zappers.
3. Hijack Mrs. Crumplebottom's code to create sim-Vtardrancher."

At least romantic autonomous mods would probably not hurt her or my game. I can't say the same for my poor male Sims, though. She's most likely scarred them for life.

Note ... I finally capitulated and downloaded the visitor controller. Ahhhh. Now my male Sims can do their romancing without dealing with her. Life is good for them now!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetbaby160
Seeing as I do vaguely remember boolproping MrsC (years before I learned I should never have done so) I have little doubt that at some point my game will explode I do have some back ups of my fav hood & will continue to make back ups as the story carries on. If I reinstall & put a back up folder in after, will the corruption still be there?

You know, that's a really good question. The reason messing with universal NPCs (like Mrs. C) is so bad is that it removes (iiuc) that NPCs file from the installation files themselves, making it impossible for the game to access that file during scenarios where that NPCs is normally supposed to appear. When the game can't access the file, it will (presumably) crash. The fact that reinstalling is the only fix for this (unless one could theoretically find exactly the right file or files on the disk itself from which to restore them to the install) is what makes this particular type of VBT such a big deal.

However, I don't know if the "corruption" caused by messing with universal NPCs is of the same kind you get when a character file is "shredded", as when deleting sims or using the occupied lot bin, after which those shredded file bits attach themselves to and corrupt playable. IF the problem really is only that the game can't access a file when it needs to, reinstallation, and thus restoration of the missing file(s) might be all that's necessary. Meaning, your saved game might be okay, after the reinstall.

Those are big "ifs" and mere speculation on my part, though - let's be clear. I don't think it would be dangerous to try restoring a saved game after reinstalling. It'll either work, or it won't, and neither possibility changes the condition it's in now. Unless someone who understands these things better than I do says restoring a saved game could re-corrupt the new game install at the level of the installation files, I think it would worth a shot.

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I feel silly admitting this, but perhaps it might reassure someone ... I never, never realized that deleting your Downtown without resolving the tombstone issues was a Bad Thing until recently. I don't play the graveyard and forgot the tombstones were even there! Oops.

I'm really really glad you decided to share that, gazania, because I'd never thought about the tombstones in Downtown! I know that once a Downtown is added to a main 'hood, you always have to have a Downtown so the downtownies that were created will have a place to be, but I'm certain I've added the default Downtown, added an additional custom Downtown, then deleted the default Downtown without considering those tombstones. I hardly ever visit that lot, so I tend to forget they're there.

This could explain small signs of corruption I've seen in one of my 'hoods that uses a clean and fixed template, and in which I was sure I'd not done anything wrong.
Scholar
#54 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
Awesome. Thank you!

ETA: By the way, YES, frankokomando, summoning Mrs. C does indeed corrupt your game. And unfortunately, it does so in the "Oh lovely, now I have to reinstall." kind of way.

Whoops. Oh, well. Seeing Mrs. Crumplebottom whack my sim with her purse was worth it.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankokomando
Whoops. Oh, well. Seeing Mrs. Crumplebottom whack my sim with her purse was worth it.

When I made the mistake of making Mrs. C playable (mistakenly thinking this was okay to do in a test 'hood) it was quite funny to see her dance, both Smustle and solo, still clutching that purse in front of her the whole time, including while falling over as newb dancers tend to do.

You can get a Crumplebutt purse from Paladin at www.simwardrobe.com , by the way, and have sims hit other sims with it at will.
Scholar
#56 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 12:27 AM
I've been tempted to download the purse. If I did download that purse, I would totally have my sim go to a community lot and whack everyone in sight. :D
Mad Poster
#57 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 1:36 AM

I'm really really glad you decided to share that, gazania, because I'd never thought about the tombstones in Downtown! I know that once a Downtown is added to a main 'hood, you always have to have a Downtown so the downtownies that were created will have a place to be, but I'm certain I've added the default Downtown, added an additional custom Downtown, then deleted the default Downtown without considering those tombstones. I hardly ever visit that lot, so I tend to forget they're there.

This could explain small signs of corruption I've seen in one of my 'hoods that uses a clean and fixed template, and in which I was sure I'd not done anything wrong.

To be fair, I didn't notice anything really horrible in the neighborhoods where I deleted the Downtown after creating a new one ... yet (knocks wood, crosses fingers, etc.) ... and I've done that on half my neighborhoods, much to my dismay. I'm taking great pains to observe anything even slightly odd about my neighborhoods without the default Downtowns. I've played one neighborhood for two and a half years now. But that's the annoying thing about doing Bad Things to a neighborhood ... a Really Bad Thing can pop up at any time. :/

Mad Poster
#58 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:10 AM
Wouldn't it depend on if you have no unlink on delete for your graves? Because it's not the deleting of the tombstone, it's the shredding of the character file that comes along with it . . .
Mad Poster
#59 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:42 AM
Um... perhaps? I thought nounlinkondelete kept tombstones from getting messed up by being moved to another lot, but taking into account the name of the hack itself, and what I just re-read in the rtfm... Logic phail, on my part.

Nonetheless, I thought deleting tombstones was bad all around, even with nounlinkondelete. I think I need to re-read the thread about safe grave management.
Theorist
#60 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 2:43 PM
The fact that reinstalling is the only fix for this (unless one could theoretically find exactly the right file or files on the disk itself from which to restore them to the install) is what makes this particular type of VBT such a big deal.

I sort of remember reading somewhere that to fix everything after messing with Ms. Crumplebottom you only need to find the file objects.package for your latest EP and copy it over. I'm not sure how accurate that piece of info is, though, and whether all problems would be removed.

What about other NPCs, can you give them new clothes? I noticed that you can't change the hair of the maid and Diva for some reason. Hopefully trying to do that doesn't qualify as messing with forbidden NPCs

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
- Memories and thought bubbles which contain squiggly lines
- Memories being lost or totally random
- Sims losing family members in family tree.

* May indicate problems other than hood corruption.

Can't squiggly lines be caused by removing CC, like career packages? I think it happened to me once, my sim asked another sim about her career but I previously removed the package without bothering to make her give up her job first. What I saw were the squiggly lines in the bubble.

Maybe I'm confusing something, but that's how I remember it.
Site Helper
#61 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:17 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 6th Mar 2012 at 3:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
I sort of remember reading somewhere that to fix everything after messing with Ms. Crumplebottom you only need to find the file objects.package for your latest EP and copy it over.
That procedure could "unpatch" that file, potentially making it incompatible with your patched game. You may be able to fix this by reinstalling the patch. On the other hand, the patch installation may fail because of the mismatch between your objects.package and all of your other files.

Let's just say that you need to know what you're doing. If you're not 100% sure that you are replacing the correct file with the correct version of that file, then reinstalling and repatching is the safer route.

Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
Can't squiggly lines be caused by removing CC, like career packages? I think it happened to me once, my sim asked another sim about her career but I previously removed the package without bothering to make her give up her job first. What I saw were the squiggly lines in the bubble.
You'll notice that the hood corruption list includes: "Remove custom careers/majors while a Sim is using them". Squiggly lines are an indication that your neighborhood is corrupt.
Scholar
#62 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:58 PM
Would it be useful if I added that list to the hood corruption wiki page?

Here's the list that I compiled from posts in this thread:
- Children and toddlers with LTWs other than Grow Up.
- Wants that don't fit the age group (for example, a toddler who suddenly wants to go on a date).
- Disappearing sims
- Sims becoming unplayable.*
- Lots becoming unplayable.*
- Memories and thought bubbles which contain squiggly lines
- Memories being lost or totally random
- Sims losing family members in family tree.

* May indicate problems other than hood corruption.

I just discovered another sign of corruption. My Sim answered the phone and the picture popped up of the caller as normal but then the Sim on the phone suddenly appeared on the lot. When she did she was standing in the middle of the hot tub and not in any way playable just there.

I then checked memories with the lotdebugger (batbox) and I had the option to "wipe corrupted" memories. I quit out of the lot and took a look at some of my other lots and I had a few missing Sims.

This is a good example of how things can get corrupted for no apparent reason. I have done none of the VBT's that are listed as ways to corrupt your hood. The only thing I have done lately, as I've been working on a building contest, is to build a couple of new homes.

I did DL a few base game re-colors of some furniture but I don't see how that could have corrupted my hood.

The only other thing I've done is I did turn a dormie into a playable Sim, however I did this by having him move into an occupied dorm in the traditional way. I then used the college adjuster to set his grade and exam times and fast forwarded him through all the semesters. He went to all the exams and graduated normally ( I did it this way so he would have the memories) and I moved him back to the hood and into one of the new houses.

None of this should have instantly corrupted my hood but apparently it did. This is also a good example of why you should backup your game regularly. If I didn't have a back up to install at this time I would be one unhappy Simmer at this moment.

As it is all I will lose are the two houses, the first I've already submitted for the contest and the second one I wasn't happy with anyway so now I can start fresh.

Back up your game: really it can't be said enough.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:16 PM
I've been making over Desiderata Valley. Last night I found out that Daniel Bell (child) has a LTW. Does this definitely mean the hood's corrupt? Grrr, I've already made over so many of the houses and characters.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by farawayy & so close
I've been making over Desiderata Valley. Last night I found out that Daniel Bell (child) has a LTW. Does this definitely mean the hood's corrupt? Grrr, I've already made over so many of the houses and characters.

Possibly, but Desiderata Valley has been know to have children and toddlers with LTW:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Pauline_Aspir
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Daniel_Bell

But those children are premades only, so im not sure...
Site Helper
#65 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 5:51 PM
Of course, it's always possible to give toddlers LTWs. If EA gave Daniel an LTW, that doesn't mean that the neighborhood is corrupted.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:36 PM
This all scares me. Since my fresh install every child seems to be born with a LTW. My hood must be seriously corrupted but if it is it has been from the start. I think I'll just roll with it until it blows up. :/

It was a downloaded neighbourhood though and probably this is the culprit. Maybe some of the lots didn't translate that well to my game as quite a few of them seem missing portals and such...*sighs*

DasRabennest

~ You can't prove courage without fright ~
Mad Poster
#67 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:44 PM
What if this was a feature that came with FT?
Site Helper
#68 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 9:04 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 6th Mar 2012 at 9:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DasRabennest
Since my fresh install every child seems to be born with a LTW. My hood must be seriously corrupted but if it is it has been from the start. [...] It was a downloaded neighbourhood though and probably this is the culprit.
Most downloadable populated neighborhoods seem to be corrupt. Making a populated neighborhood is a ton of work, and it seems that many creators take shortcuts which end up corrupting the hood.

Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
What if this was a feature that came with FT?
What if what was a feature that came with FT? Corrupt neighborhoods? EA shipped corrupt neighborhoods with the base game.

As a computer programmer and custom content creator, I really prefer not to call sloppy shoddy work a "feature".
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 10:32 PM
What if what was a feature that came with FT? Corrupt neighborhoods? EA shipped corrupt neighborhoods with the base game.

As a computer programmer and custom content creator, I really prefer not to call sloppy shoddy work a "feature".

I think M.M.A.A. was referring to children and toddlers having Lifetime Wants (the premades) that came with Freetime as a "feature" for that Expansion Pack. Though, isn't that still a sign of neighborhood corruption? I've had a few corrupted neighborhoods, but I never experienced Sims younger than teenagers having Lifetime Wants (or Wants that Sim children or toddlers don't normally roll, for that matter).
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 11:07 PM
Hi again,

well, the neighbourhood wasn't inhabitated when downloaded. Also I use clean and empty templates to prevent...yah well, to prevent overpopulation and connected problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if there might have been Test Sims in the lots that were deleted by the creator...which would've been a sure fire way to corrupt the complete thing. But I seriously don't know and don't want to blame the creator of the hood as I absolutely love my Pirri Beach anyway and will go on playing it till it just won't load anymore...and it might as well have been something I unconsciously did that corrupted it. *shrugs*

Also I just checked some houses with toddlers in them and they (the tots, not the houses :D) don't have LTWs. It starts when they become children. They have LTWs but never roll any wants connected to the specified wishes and also have no aspiration added except grow up. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read this thread and thus checked on my sim kids...oh sweet ignorance, now you're gone. :/

DasRabennest

Site Helper
#71 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 11:11 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Mar 2012 at 8:50 PM. Reason: Add fixed neighborhood package.
Quote: Originally posted by CowPlantsForHire
I think M.M.A.A. was referring to children and toddlers having Lifetime Wants (the premades) that came with Freetime as a "feature" for that Expansion Pack.
My comments about shoddy sloppy work still apply. When EA is either too lazy or too overworked to create a proper neighborhood with proper LTWs, I would never call that a "feature".

Quote: Originally posted by DasRabennest
I'm beginning to wonder if there might have been Test Sims in the lots that were deleted by the creator...which would've been a sure fire way to corrupt the complete thing.
I just opened Pirripirri Beach in SimPE:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=455880

There are families and sims in the neighborhood package, all without any user data. It looks like the creator just deleted the files in the Characters folder, without properly removing the sims.

Yes, I believe that this neighborhood is corrupt. I would recommend that anyone wanting to use this neighborhood clean it first. Here's how:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468987

[Update:] Since I now have a cleaned version, I've attached it. Just replace the original neighborhood package with this version.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  N073_Neighborhood.zip (51.5 KB, 71 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Fixed neighborhood package.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 11:00 AM
Oh, thanks bunches Mootilda! At least now I know that the corruption sword of damocles was there right from the start.

So...since yesterday my opinion changed a bit. Probably, while still enjoying that neighbourhood, I'll slowly start building another one as it seems to be just a matter of time till it crashes on me. I'll miss the inhabitants for sure but well, it's just some pixel peeps, I'll get over it. And this time it'll be a fresh start, cleaned and empty and all.

Thanks again for taking the time checking the hood and pointing me to that brilliant tutorial.

DasRabennest

Mad Poster
#73 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 12:43 PM
Well dang, one of my Pleasantview's is corrupt. Maybe. I saw squiggly lines, but I don't know if it's an existing problem maybe connected to Lilith carrying graves in her inventory, or if it was because the hitman I was trying out killed a townie and there was no urn. I didn't save, so I might be OK. Ah well, it's EAxis Pleasantview, it was bound to implode one day.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 1:11 PM Last edited by gazania : 7th Mar 2012 at 1:26 PM.
I had a similar experience with the squiggly lines ... with a brand-new Riverblossom; however, in my case, I was trying to do something stupid with a townie using a hack, and one of my created characters immediately got the squigglies. I immediately thought, "oh, crap", exited without saving, and vowed that I would never, never try that again! When I re-entered the game and my created character did the same action he was doing before, there were no squiggly memories ... it was a "real" one this time. Whew, I hope. Like you, I would like to think that I didn't just mess up a nice, new, clean, reset neighborhood. We'll both see, I guess. And like you, I'm hoping that because I didn't save, it might have saved the neighborhood. But if I did muck things up, well, yeah. Time to reset again. However, I don't plan to do that unless I see other Very Bad Things.

That might be a good point, though. If one sees the squiggly lines and can immediately guess a good reason why this could happen (even if it's just a hypothesis), and the reason is because of something you might have done right then and there in the game, exit immediately without saving. Now. Better to lose a session of play than to mess up things later, perhaps? It's worth a shot, anyway, to try to save your neighborhood.

I've had squigglies with my townies in other neighborhoods in the past, including the infamous Pleasantview (Strangetown gets so much notoriety for being an already-glitched neighborhood .... Pleasantview is no slouch!). In my original Pleasantview, it took literally years from the first squiggly before any Really Bad Thing happened (subject memories and disappearing Sims) . In the neighborhood where my daughter and I REALLY messed up and did VBTs, and I saw an occasional squiggly, it's still working fine. (Knocks wood.) But in that case, I might want to reset, anyway. That neighborhood is five years old and showing its age.. Too crowded, and I see too many reminders of past mistakes.

Mad Poster
#75 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 1:28 PM
Thinking about it, I did have Dirk somehow buy "Met Subject" from a souvenir stand while they were on holiday, so I suspect it's the tombstones-in-inventory that's caused it. OR it could be because I've started sending graves to the cemetery by clicking on them and sending them (with Pescado's nounlinkondelete and nocorruptdeath in place, of course), but I haven't actually gone there to make sure they've arrived. I should probably do that!
Page 3 of 5