Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:45 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 29th Sep 2014 at 5:32 PM.
Default Need Suggestions on what to do with two Rooms (pic)
I'm making a large, 2-story modern house.
Downstairs has a huge living room, a kitchen, dining and a couple of lesser rooms.
Upstairs has 4 large bedrooms, bathrooms and these 2 large rooms:

(The bedroom wing is off to the left, down that corridor.)

The large one, #1, is 8x8. Can't split this room into smaller rooms because this would ruin the space.
The smaller one, #2, is 4x7. Note that in order to get to #1, you have to go through #2, hence the arches. Those arches could become doors, depending on the use of the rooms.

What to do with these two rooms?

#1 could be a billiards/activity room, or maybe a modern fireplace in the middle with seating all around the windows, but it's a little big for that.
#2 I thought maybe a library.

Suggestions?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 5:12 PM
Hey

I'd like to know what you plan to do with the downstairs lesser rooms you mentioned, and what they look like. My personal favourite extra rooms for any house I build are usually office, library, artsy type skills room, exercise room, fun room, kids room ect, usually in that order too.

So I'd probably put an office and therefore library downstairs. Possibly an exercise room down there. So up here I'd go with a rec room in #1 and put a bar and sofa seating in that smaller entry room #2. Make this the fun wing.

Ell
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ellènia
Hey

I'd like to know what you plan to do with the downstairs lesser rooms you mentioned, and what they look like. My personal favourite extra rooms for any house I build are usually office, library, artsy type skills room, exercise room, fun room, kids room ect, usually in that order too.

So I'd probably put an office and therefore library downstairs. Possibly an exercise room down there. So up here I'd go with a rec room in #1 and put a bar and sofa seating in that smaller entry room #2. Make this the fun wing.

Ell

It is not often that two people could agree on a subjective issue like this, but I agree 100% with your take on this.
The two "lesser" downstairs rooms are indeed slated to become office and hobby rooms. One of them is a nice 4x5, perfect for office/library/reading, the other is similarly sized, but L-shaped, so a little less useful - that will be the artsy room. It also sits right off a terrace, so there's easy outdoor access.
And yes, the two upstairs rooms in question will probably end up as recreation areas of some type. The billiard tables require 2 open squares all around them in order to function properly (not just one, as many players mistakenly think), so that's still the leading candidate for room #1.
Thanks for your input, Ellenia.

Any other suggestions? Think outside the box...
Test Subject
#4 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 5:59 PM
Rob, for the room labelled "2" I would go with a bookstore/coffeehouse vibe. So the library meets Starbucks. Maybe on a end table have the espresso machine or something, but I really see it as a "sit down and read" kind of place. With the other room, I would go for the relaxed "little bit of this and that" vibe. Perhaps a modern fireplace to gather around for discussion, but also billiards and some other fun stuff too. A modern relaxed rec room so to speak.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 6:51 PM
On #1 game room type or like you said lounge with fireplace and #2 study/library.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 10:51 PM
Inching toward a solution:

What I did in trying to solve the problem of too big a space was to...make it bigger.
I enlarged room #2. Both rooms are now the same size, which allows the billiard room to be close to the stairs and a lounge at the end of the space with windows on three sides.
Billiards, fireplace, bar, wrap-around sofa seating, the mandatory chess table and this is probably what I'll end up with, or something close to this. Add a coffee table or two, a couple of bookshelves and so forth...

I'll still take suggestions, if someone wants to throw something at me.

Or, instead of the same old chess set, how about a grand piano in that area? I think I like that better.
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
It is not often that two people could agree on a subjective issue like this, but I agree 100% with your take on this.

It is indeed unusual!

I like what you have done with the space now - if you put a piano in it could be a private concert type area, good for an intimate soiree with recitals from your sim's talented musical prodigy child. I'd add a stereo on that wall opposite the seating and fireplace (currently a blank wall) for when the piano is silent. Or pop some trophy style cabinets/decor on there? A fish tank would be good, it would stick with the relaxed attitude of the room.

Chess table could go downstairs into the study/lib or the huge lounge?
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ellènia
It is indeed unusual!

I like what you have done with the space now - if you put a piano in it could be a private concert type area, good for an intimate soiree with recitals from your sim's talented musical prodigy child. I'd add a stereo on that wall opposite the seating and fireplace (currently a blank wall) for when the piano is silent. Or pop some trophy style cabinets/decor on there? A fish tank would be good, it would stick with the relaxed attitude of the room.

Chess table could go downstairs into the study/lib or the huge lounge?

The fish tank is an excellent idea. This is an object I typically overlook when I need to fill a corner here or there. The three-square one seemed too big, but the smaller one works. The remaining small spaces I can fill in with whatnots.
Here is what I got now:

I reversed the layout of the lounge so that the entry arch is not aligned with the double doors of the billiard room. It gives more privacy to the lounge. Sometimes, you want a thoroughfare, where entrances are aligned, like between busy areas like the kitchen, dining area and foyer, at other times you don't.
The various colors are by no means final, as I just wanted to know what these rooms were going to be so I know what to do with the other recreational spaces in the house.
Thanks for everyone's input; time to get back to landscaping, which I dislike almost as much as hanging pictures.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#9 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 3:26 PM
It's looking good scaryrob!

I quite often google gardens, especially modern ones.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
I like what you've done

I prolly would've put some exercise equipment in the original smaller room, and an indoor pool in the larger [original] room...

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I like what you've done

I prolly would've put some exercise equipment in the original smaller room, and an indoor pool in the larger [original] room...

Some of the pics might be misleading at first glance, but these rooms are actually on the second floor, as I mentioned in my OP, so a pool is out, even if I knew how to put one in an upper story. There is an outdoor pool anyway.
Here's an exterior pic of the area:

I'm purposely not showing the entire house; you'll see it when I upload it in a few days. I probably should have posted this pic yesterday, to give people a better idea of these rooms.
What you probably thought were foundations around the outside of the rooms are actually interior foundations (stage tool), meant to add some thickness to the overall look. It's meant to be a concrete house, and the exterior will have that finish. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm currently on a Brutalist kick.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 8:58 PM
Ah... OK - I didn't realize it was an upper floor. LOL!

Yeah, "Brutalist", your upload the other day inspired me - I'm working on a Brutal apartment building right now. It's too big for my little netbook now though, so finishing it is on hold until I can finish it on my big rig (which is currently unplayable due to CC crash-problems that I'm investigating/fixing *sigh*)

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 9:02 PM
Ah... OK - I didn't realize it was an upper floor. LOL!

Yeah, "Brutalist", your upload the other day inspired me - I'm working on a Brutal apartment building right now.

Ahh, I'll beat you to the punch with my own!
I just finished it a few days ago and need to take some pics of it.
Test Subject
#14 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
I quite often google gardens, especially modern ones.

So thats how you manage it!

Anyhow, liking the door move Scaryrob. And the hype on this is starting to make me want to have Sims2 again...
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#15 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 10:12 PM
Yay, Ell, go get TS2!

(she is my daughter, in case you're wondering :P)

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Theorist
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 12:21 AM
There's a hype?
Who knew?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 5:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Ahh, I'll beat you to the punch with my own!
I just finished it a few days ago and need to take some pics of it.

Yeah... stupid CC (errr - stupid me that I can't live without it!)
I'll be up and running again soon enough (I hope!) My "fix" seems to be working, it's just tedious and time consuming
Meanwhile, I've been building things on my little netbook without CC - but nothing I've created seems finished. I've got, like, 20-some lots on my main computer's desktop waiting to be installed and finished. Oi! I'll get there...

I can't wait to see your Brutal Apartments! LOL!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 8:31 AM
I can't wait to see your Brutal Apartments! LOL!

Well, now I know where the hype is coming from.
You might be disappointed, because it's a very simple shape. Although it looks nice, imo.
Nice of you to express interest, thanks.