Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 1:50 AM
Default Mod that allows interaction with resized objects no matter how big they are?
Is it possible to build a mod where it allows interaction with resized objects regardless of their size? Currently the game will allow the interaction with some cases, but I want to remove the limitation completely (I do aware sims' animation will be broken but why not? we're breaking the game already)
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 7:56 AM
It depends why they're not allowed to do them. Is the option greyed out or missing, or are you allowed to pick the option but it fails?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 9:38 AM Last edited by skyhi14 : 5th Jul 2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: my bad english
You can issue a command to use them w/o problem and sims will walk to them, but the sims do generic "can't do that" animation in front of the item.
Deceased
#4 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 11:31 AM
Just kind of a guess, but seems likely from your description that you'd need to change the constraints for the interaction to allow the Sim to stand further away from the object.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 12:56 PM
Oh I forgot I'm talking about the in-game resize, the one you do with bracket keys in the buy mode, with testingcheats enabled (I think?)
Deceased
#6 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 6:46 PM
Which changes the footprint affecting how close a Sim can stand to the object, and if that's no longer close enough to be within the use animation constraints the Sim won't be able to satisify the constraints and a failure animation occurs instead of the Sim using the object.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 5:50 AM
Hmm, then How do I mod the constraints? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm kind of noob at modding...
Deceased
#8 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skyhi14
Hmm, then How do I mod the constraints? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm kind of noob at modding...

Depends on the object and the interaction. You'll typically find the constraints as one of the first items in the XML for an interaction. They specify things such as the distance, facing and line of sight requirements for interacting with an object. Just to pull an example out of thin air, for Sim's viewing a garden plant at a festival (gardenPlant_View_Festivals), the constraints are
Code:
  <L n="_constraints">
    <U>
      <L n="constraints">
        <U>
          <V n="value" t="circle">
            <U n="circle">
              <T n="ideal_radius">1</T>
              <T n="ideal_radius_width">0.5</T>
              <T n="radius">2</T>
            </U>
          </V>
        </U>
      </L>
    </U>
    <U>
      <L n="constraints">
        <U>
          <V n="value" t="facing">
            <U n="facing">
              <T n="inner_radius">0</T>
              <T n="range">90</T>
            </U>
          </V>
        </U>
      </L>
    </U>
  </L>

So to perform that action, the Sim must be within a circular radius of 2 from the object, and ideally somewhere between 0.5 and 1.5 distance. Additionally, the Sim needs to face the object with an angular range of 90, so somewhere between 45 degrees left or right of straight ahead. Any other parameters that are left out are set to their defaults, for instance the line of sight parameter for the circle defaults to true.

To know what all those parameters mean, and their defaults, you'll need to get the Tuning Description files. Reading those files can be painful, so you might want to also consider getting the Tdesc browser I wrote.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 9:57 AM
Not sure I'm doing it right, but I can't get it to work. I expected sims to just be able to use comically oversized thrones (or any chairs), but they still do "can't do that" animation. Funny thing is, when scaled 2x, the game *sometimes* allows it even without the mod

Modded XML
Original XML

I just put the modded XML in a package using S4PE
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 10:32 AM
It's on a per object per interaction basis and will depend on whether the routing slot is inside or outside the space occupied by the enlarged object. Personally I'd forget it, it sounds like a load of hassle for a few moments novelty.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 10:45 AM
Quote:
I'd forget it, it sounds like a load of hassle for a few moments novelty.

Perhaps you're right...