Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#26 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 3:12 AM
Oh thank you for telling me ajaxsirius, and thank you for deleting it Buzzler. I will take it off my photobucket aswell.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that, what's a product key/license key?
Advertisement
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#27 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 4:29 PM
Microsoft uses the license key to validate your Windows when it's activated. If multiple systems were to try to activate with the same license key in a short period of time, MS may start blocking any further registration attempts.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Scholar
Original Poster
#28 Old 2nd Feb 2015 at 1:31 PM
Oh I see, thanks. So it's private, like a pin number?
Forum Resident
#29 Old 4th Feb 2015 at 9:15 AM Last edited by Belzader : 4th Feb 2015 at 10:05 AM.
Yes, kinda, but still not, it's your proof that you have a legit a copy of the OS (Operating System).
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
Just wondering though, is that an average lifespan for a laptop, or is 4 years quite short?

It depends on how one use (read abuse) it, as a computer repair technican i've seen old as 10 year still going strong, but i've also seen the other way, laptops not even one year old dead, because the graphic chip was burned out.
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
I'm playing Happy Aquarium (facebook game) and it's making the noise now. I worked out what it sounds like, it sounds like a hairdryer.

If it sound like that, i belive it's sounding quite normal (maybe starting to wear out though), as i said before, many laptop fans are high speed (think like this it is very small usually around 20-40mm and something that small spinning at 3-5k RPM will make noice).
Though usually it should only spinn up that high for few minutes at time, so i'm still concerned about over heating, but as you have been offered a new computer and have this as a spare, for it's remaning life time, i think that we can let it be.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
Scholar
Original Poster
#30 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 9:58 AM
Thanks for answering.

I have been wondering if the graphics chip could be a contributing factor, as it's integrated graphics and I have played the sims 2 on it for a couple of years. I do put it on a cooling tray, and try to limit play sessions, but it does get very hot.

The option of a new laptop is up in the air at the moment, but fingers crossed. I'm trying not to overwork this one in the meantime.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 6:15 PM Last edited by Belzader : 6th Feb 2015 at 6:29 PM.
Most likely been a contributing factor, yes especially since it have the integrated Intel graphic chip.
Almost all laptops have integrated graphic chip, but some have quite powerful ones, and what might be called dual (one is integrated on the CPU and the other is seperate, still placed on the motherbard though).
Very very few laptops have a true stand alone graphic card (not placed on the motherboard).

One thing you can do to help cool it down is place a small table fan next to it and have it cool down the air around it.

As a little side note:
I encountered one manufacture that had made one model which had a powerful graphic chip, but they forgot to upgrade the cooling system to handle the heat from it (they used same as for models with weaked chips), so the graphic chip got so hot that it loosend from the motherboard..

Scholar
Original Poster
#32 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 11:27 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 6th Feb 2015 at 11:39 PM.
Hi, thanks for answering. My sister has the same laptop, she uses a fan when she plays Sims 3 on it.

That doesn't sound very good, did you get your money back?

Good news, I have now ordered a new laptop with a better graphics card! We are still keeping the old computer as a household backup.

Thanks
Forum Resident
#33 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 10:25 AM Last edited by Belzader : 7th Feb 2015 at 11:19 AM.
The manufactor of that laptop acknowldge the issue, and put that model under extended warranty, but no i didn't get my money back, though the computer got repaired (motherboard replaced).
More then ones actually.. in the end i got sick of it and sold it though.

Scholar
Original Poster
#34 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 12:24 PM
Aah that is a shame. Thanks for warning me.

Page 2 of 2