Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 6:51 AM
Default Modding Harvestable Plants?
I've searched high and low for any information about the modding of harvestable plants. Sims 2 has scads of new things to grow, but I don't see anything for Sims 3 like this. I'm really looking forward to making some new plants as I've just gotten into making them, but I'd like to expand into make new harvestables.

Does any one know if this is even possible for Sims 3 yet? I have so many simple ideas I would love to share if I knew there was a proper outlet for my plans.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 11:02 AM
New harvestables are indeed possible, and have been done: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=353351

The issue appears to be not so much getting them working initially but integrating them into the rest of the game. Each harvestable in the game needs to be added to the list of stuff to buy at the store, and given nectar related values. Getting all that working properly is difficult enough - but then it also has to be updated for each patch/EP, as new things are added - so it's not just a matter of making a lemon tree or whatever once, but making a lemon tree, and adding lemons to all sorts of areas in the game... and then providing updates for it every time the game is updated. Keeping up on that stuff is exhausting and tedious for modders, and there are -many- modders who have started large projects and abandoned them when they realize how much work it is to do major updates every couple months... Many more have given up than are currently plodding along with updates.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#3 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 12:00 PM
Well, it's actually quite feasible if it were to be done as a plugin for someone else's mod. If there was sufficient interest in harvestable plugins, I could make such a thing for AwesomeMod, similar to how the trait, book, and whatnot plugin systems work. But no one seems interested in making use of the extensible infrastructure provided, so I've stopped producing it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 8:07 PM
If you're interested in pursuing this, Dramamine, you'll probably want to head over to the Modding DIscussion forum under the Create menu That's where you'll find the people with advanced modding know-how.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 11:02 PM Last edited by dramamine213 : 19th Nov 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: grammar
HP: Thanks for the link! Being able to see the data of the custom food items helps in determining the boundaries for what I have in mind.

Pescado: I will have to come a calling once I get the hang of meshing and such. While I don't use AM currently (too much of a ninny for its sheer awesomeness right now), I wouldn't mind making an AM-friendly version once I get comfortable with the inner workings of modding.

Srikandi: I'm gonna do that right now, as well as pour through some tutorials. I'm finally angry enough to start modding. XD

Thanks for your help, all of you. I hope this is the beginning of something note worthy.