Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:07 AM
Default How do I unlock lots for editing?
I downloaded a world from CAW that I really like, but I want to build my own lots.

When I go into edit town mode, many of the community lots are grayed out, and if I click on them I get an error message telling me I must use cheats to unlock/lock the lot for editing. I googled the error message, and found a few places telling me to use the following cheats:

1. testingcheatsenabled true
2. buydebug
3. enablelotlocking true

Then shift+click on the lot I want to edit.

So I did that, but I still get the error message. I also tried enablelotlocking false, which also doesn't work.

If it's relevant, I'm on a Mac, I tried option+click and command+click also...

What do I need to do in order to edit these lots?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 1:29 AM
I have been hunting around for the answer to this question since I posted it, and no one seems to know. Everyone give the same instructions, so something is up.

I have an additional question now. I suspect that this may have something to do with WA. I have Ambitions and LN, but not WA. As far as I can tell, WA is the only expansion pack that comes with locked lots on it. Could it be that I need WA in order for the command to work?

If you are able to use the "enablelotlocking" command to edit locked lots and you DON'T have WA, can you let me know?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 4:30 PM
maybe restrictbuildbuyinbuildings [true/false] would help

It would be great with a list of cheats here ... Snooty Sims are okay, but they don't have all cheats
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 11:37 PM
Default I Figured it Out!
The above steps are correct. You don't need buydebug however. Before you enter Enablelotlocking true/on, click the lot you want to change. There should be a faded lock on the right side of the lot information box. After you enter the code the lock should go from faded to deep/dark bluish color. Click the lock so it appears to open. This will let you change the lot. REMEMBER the key is to click the lot you want to change before you enter the code. At least that is how I got it to finally work.

Quote: Originally posted by catangi
I have been hunting around for the answer to this question since I posted it, and no one seems to know. Everyone give the same instructions, so something is up.

I have an additional question now. I suspect that this may have something to do with WA. I have Ambitions and LN, but not WA. As far as I can tell, WA is the only expansion pack that comes with locked lots on it. Could it be that I need WA in order for the command to work?

If you are able to use the "enablelotlocking" command to edit locked lots and you DON'T have WA, can you let me know?
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lovelypuff
The above steps are correct. You don't need buydebug however. Before you enter Enablelotlocking true/on, click the lot you want to change. There should be a faded lock on the right side of the lot information box. After you enter the code the lock should go from faded to deep/dark bluish color. Click the lock so it appears to open. This will let you change the lot. REMEMBER the key is to click the lot you want to change before you enter the code. At least that is how I got it to finally work.

I am having the same problem unlocking a lot, however, the game wont recognise the cheat 'enablelotlocking'.
Can anyone help please?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scorpiobabe
I am having the same problem unlocking a lot, however, the game wont recognise the cheat 'enablelotlocking'.
Can anyone help please?

Ooops, sorry. I had restarted game and forgot the testingcheatsenabled first.
Got it now ><