Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 10:47 PM
Default How to Insert Custom Texture Map into SimPE Photo Studio for re-coloring??
I have taken about two days scouring the threads...and I can not seem to find the answer I am looking for. - So am going to ask.

I have made a "new" mesh, cloning the "Rainy Day Main Street" and added my own texture to it. It has its own GUID so it shows up separately in game and not as a "re-color". Called "The Dark Mountain," located in wall hangings.

Original Maxis Object I cloned from was "Rainy Day Main Street" it does not have any "recolor" options, so naturally, neither does my The Dark Mountain painting.

I can find "Rainy Day Main Street" in the Photo Studio tool of my SimPE so I can add re-color options to it - but I do not want to make color-options for the original. I want to make color options for my The Dark Mountain. So that in game, I can have two color/texture options for that painting. Is there any way to do this?

Ideally I would love if there was a way to make and add the template of The Dark Mountain to Photo Studio so I can make re-color options for it in game.
Though, if I could just figure out how to do add re-color options for the painting just using simPE, that would be fine too.

So basically, all I want to do is change it so my custom painting, The Dark Mountain (that has no re-color options) to have re-color options in game.
I have CEP, DDS Tools, everything...just cant seem to find a tutorial on this. Any help would be much greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 7:47 AM
I would suggest using the 'Object Workshop' part of SimPE to recolor paintings from now on, as this will also give you the necessary skills to start recoloring other objects You can find a tutorial on using the object workshop here. This tutorial covers Maxis objects, so there is one step that you need to do differently! When you have the Object Workshop tool click 'Open' instead of 'Start'.You can now navigate to your original painting and open that package. You will then see the screen with 'Task' and the dropdownmenu, you can just follow the tutorial as it is, the procedure is the same. It only covers the steps you need to take in SimPE though. When you have exported the right texture, open it with photoshop/gimp or another image editor and copy-paste your painting over the painting on the texture. The rest of the texture is usually wood for the frame. Some of the paintings might be a little distorted as they get stretched once the game renders it, so this method can be a bit trial and error, but you will get the hang of it. Good luck and let me know if you need more help
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 7:57 AM
Hello.

Klartje is absolutely correct about how to recolour custom objects, but I think you need to make your object recolourable first.

Open your painting package in Simpe. You can do this by clicking the painting package and choose "open with Simpe". Then follow the tutorial by Ignorant Bliss here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=103379

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 9:27 PM
Thanks so much Klaartje and leefish!! This totally answers my questions. I will get to playing with it and if I hit any problems, will bring them here. Thanks again! You're lifesavers.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 6:04 PM
Okay, I have successfully created my new mesh, uv mapped it beautifully...and now I am trying to add a "subset" re-color...I have followed all the instructions here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=103379 until step 5 - "Editing the Geometric Node" - but in my SimPE, in the blocklist in the Geometric node, there is no "designmodeenabled" option. I have tested the painting in game and it works great...except that the "re-color subset" is not there. I have downloaded and installed CEP, could I have perhaps installed it wrong or something? I have no clue, I am at a total loss and would really appreciate any help.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 6:13 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 29th Aug 2014 at 6:49 PM.