Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2016 at 7:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life
Images are Missing When Opening/Importing Original EA Worlds Into Sims 3 PE
I'm hoping that someone here can help me, as I've googled all over the internet, including the original download site for Sims 3 PE (which appears to be down permanently and is redirecting manually to their downloads page ONLY). I know a lot of folks on MTS use S3PE to create custom content, so hopefully someone else has seen this.

I've been following tutorials for creating customizable versions of the original EA worlds. Currently, I'm trying to get Bridgeport to work, but I've also tried with Sunset Valley (world from the base game), and I'm having the same problems. It began with the worlds not exporting correctly. No matter what I tried, placing stuff on the Desktop, removing CC, removing DDCache, backup, etc, nothing worked. Then I realized that when I open or import the original files in Sims 3 PE, many of the image files are missing, and are throwing a Stack Trace Error, so I suspect that's the origination of the problem. I've enabled Run as Administrator on both CAW and S3PE, and I've checked to be sure that the .world files are NOT read only. Beyond that, I'm lost as to what to do next. Can anyone tell me, please:

1) Am I right in assuming that worlds are not exporting, because resources are not importing correctly? (I've seen the exporting problem around the internet a LOT, and while some of the fixes work for people, there are many people who do not have a fix, so I'm wondering if this is why. If folks just didn't realize their resources were not importing correctly.)

2) Is there something I'm missing, or anything that I can update, which would fix this problem? I know that .NET can cause a lot of issues, but I'm not very savvy with how these sorts of things interrelate, and I haven't found anything to suggest that this is, in fact, the problem. General searches for stack trace errors seem to indicate that this happens with Windows, but the discussions are so technical that I can't follow them, and they're unrrelated to S3PE, and I don't want to go too far afield if the answer is something easier.

3) Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this issue for further information, or even directly, in order to fix it?

Like I said, I wouldn't have posted this here except that I know a lot of people use S3PE for custom content creation, and all other resources are either unvailable or tapped out. Someone please help? I've been at this for over a week now. Thanks!

Here's the text of just one of the image resources that isn't loading. (I stopped counting after I found 20, scattered throughout the list.)

Code:
Error reading resource 0x00B2D882-0x00000001-0x0010000100000000 
Front-end Distribution: 14-0222-1852 
Library Distribution: 14-0222-1852  

Source: mscorlib 
Assembly: mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. 
---- 
Stack trace:    
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)    
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)    
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)    
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)    
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)    at S3PIDemoFE.ABuiltInValueControl.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Lookup>b__a(KeyValuePair`2 x)    
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()    at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()    
at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)    at S3PIDemoFE.ABuiltInValueControl.Lookup(UInt32 resourceType, Stream s)    
at S3PIDemoFE.MainForm.getPreviewControl() 
----  
Source: DDSPanel 
Assembly: DDSPanel, Version=1402.22.1843.33690, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null 
RGB is supported only where data is present for all channels.  RGB mask is 00FFFF. 
---- 
Stack trace:    
at System.Drawing.Dds.DdsHeader.DdsPixelFormat..ctor(Stream s)   
at System.Drawing.Dds.DdsHeader..ctor(Stream s)    
at System.Drawing.Dds..ctor(Stream s)    
at System.Drawing.DdsFile.Load(Stream input, Boolean supportHSV)    
at System.Windows.Forms.DDSPanel.DDSLoad(Stream stream, Boolean supportHSV)    
at S3PIDemoFE.DDSControl..ctor(Stream s) ----
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Apr 2016 at 10:58 PM
Did you follow those exact steps?

I found I had no problem Exporting the world with CAW when I did exactly that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
Did you follow those exact steps?

I found I had no problem Exporting the world with CAW when I did exactly that.

Actually, yes I did. I went step-by-step through the tutorial. I've done it a number of times over the last week. I also followed all the steps to correct the exporting problem, which I found in various places on Google. It didn't work for me. Apparently, I'm not the only one, since several people kept saying they still couldn't export.

I noticed the importing issue, so I wondered if the faulty opening/import was the reason the exporting wasn't working. But I can't figure out the importing issue on my own, and I've only seen it reported one other time, with no answers.
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 8:55 AM
Ok. So we can maybe eliminate that.

The thing is, looking at my test .world file, I've also come across _IMG with this error message in the right column. I have no idea what is causing this, but I could export my world without problem nonetheless, so I'm not sure if those are causing the issue. Maybe someone with more knowledge will pop up with an explanation?

I've seen some people being successful by renaming/moving their Electronic Arts folder and opening CAW. Maybe try:
1) Renaming the Electronic Arts folder (example: "Electronic Arts orig"). Or moving it on your desktop.
2) Opening CAW. This will generate a new Electronic Arts folder.
3) Selecting a world to export.

See if it works?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 10:23 PM
Ok. So we can maybe eliminate that.

The thing is, looking at my test .world file, I've also come across _IMG with this error message in the right column. I have no idea what is causing this, but I could export my world without problem nonetheless, so I'm not sure if those are causing the issue. Maybe someone with more knowledge will pop up with an explanation?

I've seen some people being successful by renaming/moving their Electronic Arts folder and opening CAW. Maybe try:
1) Renaming the Electronic Arts folder (example: "Electronic Arts orig"). Or moving it on your desktop.
2) Opening CAW. This will generate a new Electronic Arts folder.
3) Selecting a world to export.

See if it works?

Okay, so let me see if I understand? Rename the EA folder for the game, or for CAW? That is definitely something I didn't try, although I did try copying Bridgeport.world from the Late Night folder to the desktop and checking to make sure it wasn't read only before trying to open it, etc.

I'm relieved to hear you're getting the import errors. That makes me think you're correct and importing isn't the problem with the export. Have you noticed any weirdness with the exported files, like broken textures or anything of that nature? (I'm just curious if it exports but stuff is weird, or okay.)

Thanks very much for helping me!

EDIT: Oh, and incidentally, I did update to the latest version of .NET and patch it per "Recommended Windows Updates" yesterday, and that didn't fix the import or export problem, either. :/
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 10:30 PM
Also, if you are following Inkantator's tutorial you could try something different for "STEP #2 - import Bridgeport.world". Instead of trying to import directly from the world file, you could export all of the resources to a folder first and then import them to your new world.

Did you try my quick method?
http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...593&postcount=3
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 11:03 PM
@Netjera
Sorry and to clarify, I meant, or what was reported more like, was renaming the "Electronic Arts" folder that actually contains your "The Sims 3" and "The Sims 3 Create A World Tool" folders. I think this way, both of those folders will be re-created once you open CAW and export a world.

I did a quick check with a world I've used and had no problem with, that I edited in CAW using this method and I see some of the _IMG have this error message. So in terms of playability, it doesn't seem to affect anything? I can't be a 100% sure, because maybe it caused some issues and I didn't notice them or never linked them to a faulty import/export! I'd have to do a comparison with the original world. Something to think about.

But, yes, try simsample method first. It could actually do the trick!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 4:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Also, if you are following Inkantator's tutorial you could try something different for "STEP #2 - import Bridgeport.world". Instead of trying to import directly from the world file, you could export all of the resources to a folder first and then import them to your new world.

Did you try my quick method?
http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...593&postcount=3

Actually, I do believe it's your tutorial I've been following. I found it on YouTube, and it has me export all of the files to a folder named <townUP> on the desktop, and then open an empty CAW World, and import all the files in as resources. I haven't had any trouble with actually doing the steps EXCEPT exporting doesn't work. I get an "Export Failed" every time. I decided to try my hand at creating a new world today, to see if I could export a new world, or if the export is broken across the board, but I got a little sidetracked with building, lol.

And no, I haven't tried the quick method. Let me double check what I'm saying to be sure I'm not confused. I looked over so many threads and tutorials before I finally found one that I actually understood, lol.

EDIT: Okay, I lied. I've been following this video tutorial by SimTuts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pJ...BPJm8hx&index=1
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 6:38 AM
Okay, I moved the EA file from the documents folder to the desktop and I FINALLY got an unaltered copy of Bridgeport to successfully save and then export from CAW.

This leads me to wonder a couple of things.
!) Is it safe to use the version of Bridgeport I got into CAW to edit now? I'm assuming once I change it, I'll have to rexport it, right?
2) Asuming the problem was maybe with custom content or something (which I find hard to believe, because I did try removing mods, and clearing the cache and backup files as part of the troubleshooting process), what happens when I move the game I'm playing back IN to the documents folder? Will I have to keep it out permanently, or will I only have to move it out when I'm trying to export?
3) Is there any way to use the edited form of Bridgeport in the game I'm already playing? This whole mess began because I was having a routing issue in my game where my kids were always missing the bus because I placed a house too far from the road. I'm hoping to edit Bridgeport to put roads or sidewalks closer to the house so that this problem doesn't happen, but I have no idea how to use it in place of the original Bridgeport?

Thanks so much for the help you guys. I will let you know if once I make changes to Bridgeport if I can still export.
Instructor
#10 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 12:12 PM
Glad you could make it work!

1) I don't see any problem using this verion to edit in CAW. And yes, you'll have to save and export it again once you've done all the edits you want.

2) A number of things could have gone wrong, not necessary to do with your mods. You can try copying/moving your files in the newly created "The Sims 3" folder. Maybe do this step-by-step and see if it will work now? However, if you don't plan to use CC in your edit of Bridgeport, you could also leave them alone for now?

3) Same as ellacharmed's fixes for different EA worlds, I'm pretty sure you'd still have to make a New Game for the changes to take place. I took the information from this FAQ.
And actually, with your question, this thread comes to mind. There were attempts at editing a current save in CAW. It seems all trials and errors, and if you feel like testing some more, maybe you could see if you have any luck making this work? No guarantee as the method was used years ago.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 12:26 AM
Glad you could make it work!

1) I don't see any problem using this verion to edit in CAW. And yes, you'll have to save and export it again once you've done all the edits you want.

2) A number of things could have gone wrong, not necessary to do with your mods. You can try copying/moving your files in the newly created "The Sims 3" folder. Maybe do this step-by-step and see if it will work now? However, if you don't plan to use CC in your edit of Bridgeport, you could also leave them alone for now?

3) Same as ellacharmed's fixes for different EA worlds, I'm pretty sure you'd still have to make a New Game for the changes to take place. I took the information from this FAQ.
And actually, with your question, this thread comes to mind. There were attempts at editing a current save in CAW. It seems all trials and errors, and if you feel like testing some more, maybe you could see if you have any luck making this work? No guarantee as the method was used years ago.

Actually, I managed to get the world back into CAW and Edited. Then I followed the directions SimSample gave in one of the really long threads, for getting pieces of content back into the world from the game. I don't remember what thread it was, but I saved these directions:

Code:
"What your best course of action would be is to save a copy of all your modified lots to the library, and then open the world in CAW. In CAW you can use the Edit-in-game mode (EIG) to add the modified lots to the world, and you can alter the roads in CAW too. Then you can export the world, install it to game and begin a new game with that world. "

I saved the lots I wanted to keep playing with, and then I opened the new world and made all the changes I wanted. Then I opened it in EIG and dropped the lot in. I had two problems, however.

Problem #1) I couldn't figure out how to save the world, once I added the lot in EIG. Just "Return to Game"? Save it "in game"? Or Exit and save in CAW? I fiddled around, although I can't tell you what I actually DID, and it tried to save; but after hours of sitting there, it finally threw up "File not saved". I figured all was lost, but - surprise, surprise! - when I finally got EIG unlocked and closed, the house was in CAW on the proper lot. So I saved again, and then I exported the world, and that was successful. I got it into the game, too - and here is where we encounter:

Problem #2) To test the new house, I created a new game with the new world, and then I used a binned Sim and tried to move them in. The house has an empty house icon, but when I click on it, it doesn't bring up the move in panel. No details about the house or anything. Any clue what I did wrong?

If I can get this working, my next step is to replace the current version of Bridgeport that my saved game was using, by removing the old Bridgeport (and saving it elsewhere for later use), and renaming the new Bridgeport so the game will recognize it. (Whew! All of this to solve a routing issue, lol!)
Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 6:47 AM
Good work around, adding lots from your library in EIG.

I think Problem #2 may be a consequence of Problem #1.

Yes, you have to save your world while in EIG for your changes to stick. You can Save your world when you are in Edit Town or after you Return to Game, I don't think it changes anything. It's a better guarantee than doing an Exit and Save. Just do not be afraid if you have to wait a long time for the world to Save successfully. I remember having to wait from 30 minutes to 1 hour with a large world, just let it do its thing.

Concerning the saving failure, did you have CAW with your world open at the same time? When you go in EIG, you have to minimize that and quit CAW, so that your world can be saved in EIG. It's like having the file opened twice, otherwise.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 6:43 PM
Concerning the saving failure, did you have CAW with your world open at the same time? When you go in EIG, you have to minimize that and quit CAW, so that your world can be saved in EIG. It's like having the file opened twice, otherwise.

OHHHHHhhhh - actually, I DID! I thought that if CAW needed to be closed, it would close itself. So once EIG opens, alt-tab to CAW and close it? And that won't close EIG as well? Or do I just close the world, and leave CAW running?
Instructor
#14 Old 23rd Apr 2016 at 10:49 AM
Yes, you have to do exactly that. And I want to say that you could just close your world, but to be sure, you can just close CAW. You can try one way or another, but know that it won't affect EIG.

I actually could never use the EIG via CAW, so I use this method and it works completely fine without CAW opened.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 3:58 AM
Yes, you have to do exactly that. And I want to say that you could just close your world, but to be sure, you can just close CAW. You can try one way or another, but know that it won't affect EIG.

I actually could never use the EIG via CAW, so I use this method and it works completely fine without CAW opened.

I'll take a look at those other directions you posted. I tried again, this time, when I used "Edit In Game", once it went to the screen where you can play the hidden object game, I alt-tabbed and closed CAW. I placed the lot in the game, and this time it worked, and in Edit Town mode it had the right buttons and stuff, but once more, I got a failed save.

So, apparently, EIG isn't going to work for me, either. Time to try something else!

Thanks again!
Instructor
#16 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 11:17 PM
I actually have very little expertise with EIG. :/

But do you know the type of error you're getting? I mean, could it be a problem with the lot you're trying to place (something with the terrain or the road being to close or an object or CC, idk) or is it something to do with the world itself (the size of it maybe)?

I'm afraid I won't personally be of much help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 9:00 PM
Actually, I switched to the batch file you suggested and EIG began to work perfectly. The only problem I've had, is that I can't get the lot to stop "embedding" in the terrain, even with constrainfloorlimits false activated. I've worked with it all week, and I can't get the lot to work correctly. It's correct in the original game where I created it, in the exact same location, but EIG won't accept the placement.

I also noticed some weirdness with CAW *after* I got EIG to work properly. I worked in EIG, saved the file successfully, then it wouldn't open. I tried a different file, one which I didn't touch in EIG, and that file wouldn't open either. Suddenly, CAW seems sort of hit or miss with whether it will open files, and I'm not sure why. All I can think is that somehow, certain files became corrupted? I'm trying to be very careful about including thumbs and descriptions, jic that's part of the problem. I've deleted the files that wouldn't open in CAW, and rebuilt them, and so far, stuff seems fine, and things are continuing to properly export.

I'm beginning to feel bogged down, and like I should give up. It's been weeks of doing this, and I can't get the lot into the updated world, despite it working fine in the game. *grumbles*

Btw - thanks again for trying with all the help. I really appreciate it.

Is it still worth it to look at the original errors EIG was throwing? I saved a copy of them, but then when the batch file worked, I stopped thinking about them.