Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 10:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Overcrowded School
I know that people have had this glitch for years but some solutions work for some and some don't work for most, etc. I've read other threads, used mods, etc., but there are still problems.

I am in Lucky Palms and recently found that my Sims weren't able to get into the school in order to complete their homework. This hasn't happened to me before in any other worlds for the years I've been playing. The "kids" were milling about outside the school, peeing themselves, etc., and wouldn't even go home when directed to do so or when the school day was over. I would have to literally reset the kids I was playing in order to get them to leave. But this didn't fix the homework issue.

I've read several posts on this problem but no real solutions. I built another school over in the "poor" part of town, thinking the kids would go to the closest one. They didn't...they all moved to the gridlock the new school! I then tried some of the other suggestions - deleting both schools, saving the game, putting both schools back in....that moved all the kids back to the original school but at least my Sim kids got new homework!. I also altered the .ini file that someone posted that was supposed to cut down on lag. I've downloaded StoryProgression because you're supposed to be able to assign schools but I don't want to do it on an individual basis. I see that I can send my current kids to either school by selecting it as a career but I'm guessing that eliminates the ability to have an after school job.

Any ideas on what I can do? By the number of posts I've found, I'm hoping that someone will have come up with a reasonable solution!

I do have all of the games installed. I also use Master Controller, Awesome etc.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 10:38 PM
Have you tried resetting the lot with master controller?

Things I would try:
1) Use Master Controller to reset the lot.
2)Reset the whole town with Master Controller
3)Bulldoze the lot and create a new one with a school on it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 11:42 PM
Default What I've tried....
Quote: Originally posted by Persian
Have you tried resetting the lot with master controller?

Things I would try:
1) Use Master Controller to reset the lot.
2)Reset the whole town with Master Controller
3)Bulldoze the lot and create a new one with a school on it.

Yep, reset the Lot. First thing I tried!

Haven't done the whole town - not sure I want to try that just yet.

Yes, as I said before, I bulldozed and put the school back in. THEN I built another school from scratch and no one came. THEN I bulldozed the original school and replaced again but all the students went to the other school. THEN I bulldozed both schools, exited the world, built both schools again and now they go to the original school only but at least they're getting their homework accounted for!

Looked at Story Progression but it treated school like a career so not sure it will then conflict with a teen wanting an after school job. I found a post regarding making schools public and private so kids divvy up by income. I'll go see if I can do that now and report back!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 11:46 PM
You can also allow or disallow certain Sims to certain schools by caste. Click on the lot the school is on, then select "disallow caste" to ban all kids in the group from attending that school.

If you have NRaas Careers installed, you also have access to vocational schools for teens. In my town I have it set so that teenagers go to these schools, while the school rabbit hole is reserved for children.
Instructor
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 12:08 AM
Also, with Master Controller, you could assign schools in batch for all the kids/teens in your town.

1) Click on a computer/City hall > Nraas > Master Controller > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Choose School
2) You'll see a list helping you filter the sims you want to see. You can maybe filter by Age and choose either Teens or Children or both. You can also select more than one criteria. Example: if I want to assign school, but only for Teens/Children from other inactive household and not NPCs (like the babysitters), I just have to click Age and Town Family.
3) Next you'll see a list of all the sims that correspond to the criteria you chose. You can select any number of sims from this list. So maybe I want the first 10 sims to go to the same school, I just have to click on them.
4) Choose which school they'll attend. Rabbitholes School will be referred as High School/Elementary School and the name of the Rabbithole (Type S). The others are Boarding Schools (Type B) (Generations EP).
5) Accept. And you're done.

Assigning a School this way (or in general) doesn't prevent your sims from having part-time jobs or after-school activities.

Sadly, in Master Controller and with Nraas Careers (+ Schools module), you don't see the vocational schools or the newly added after-school activities. Or is it just me?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
Sadly, in Master Controller and with Nraas Careers (+ Schools module), you don't see the vocational schools or the newly added after-school activities. Or is it just me?

It might be just you. I've assigned kids to specific NRaas schools using Master Controller with no problems.
Instructor
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 6:45 AM Last edited by Blyss : 22nd Apr 2016 at 9:46 AM.
Hm...I suppose I'll have to go over everything see if I'm as up to date as I thought and browse around at Nraas, see if I can find anything about that. Or just ask, hah.

Edit: Turns out I'm stupid and just had to save/quit/reload my test save to get the options...But yes, with Nraas Careers (+ Schools module), you can definitely assign vocational/private schools (Type C).
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 11:26 AM
You can try out a totally different alternative as well, AussomeDays' mod Additional Entry and Exit Routing Slots to Reduce Door Crowding - Schools, University. I'm using it in my games nowadays, and it makes a world of difference.
For the school in Lucky Palms it adds one more entrance and two exits, but unfortunately you'll have to remodel the lot a bit – instructions for what needs to be done is also in the instructions.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Apr 2016 at 5:51 PM
Okay, what I've done is use Story Progression and Caste to disallow teenagers from one school, etc., but that did not work. What I ended up with is all the kids at the original school and my teen Sim going to the new school when she had an "opportunity" to fix the boiler! The instructions given for doing this DID NOT specify which mod to use but, since it was listed under Story Progression, it didn't seem like a leap to go under SP. I couldn't find the options for separating as public/private or family wealth, as the article suggested so I'm guessing it was an MC option and not SP. Sure would have helped if the person had mentioned exactly which mod was used, especially since it was under the SP faq! I'll have to look into.

On another forum, I was asking for help regarding the Consignment store and a person replied that she'd had the same issue (no clerk) and it seems to also involve a problem with kids getting into schools and adults going to rabbithole jobs. "Register" got the clerk back but the other problems persisted. My adults are self-employed so I hadn't noticed if there was a problem; however, I do remember seeing several messages recently about friend Sims being demoted in their jobs. I'll have to check it further.

Thanks for taking the time to address this issue. I'll look into MC and see if I can get that wealth delineation to work. I'll also see if I can find out why I've suddenly got so many kids (might be a mod glitch as most if not all are wearing shorts and yellow t-shirts!). If I find this doesn't work, or if there is still a problem with the adults and their jobs, I guess I'll take out Consigner & Register and see if I can simply get back to normal! Keeping the AussomeDay's mod on the back burner.

Thx!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 7:09 AM
It was someone on the EA Forum that had a similar issue with the Consignment Shop. She said she couldn't fix it (the rabbithole routing issues, as well as consignment) so maybe it is more problems than one. I don't know because my adult sims are self-employed. I just seemed to suddenly get a huge influx of children at the same time as the Consignment Shop problem, which is why I mentioned it.

After 3 or so Sim days, the school "fix" finally worked. I now have teens going to one school and children going to the other. That should take care of the school problem. My family is in Lucky Palms and lives by the river. There is a teensy tiny house across the street that the last time my Sims were there was the Arch Designer mom and it was a single woman with 1BR & a single bed. I've noticed toddlers crying in the driveway so I changed households to check it out. Lo and behold, the woman has 7 kids! (4 child/3 tod). With the single bed, she only has a boyfriend but it sure is crazy that the game would generate so many children without cribs/beds! Couldn't bring myself to kill them so I "kaching" cheated and gave her 2 extra BRs with bunkbeds & cribs. Anyway, not a lag as I "litter"ally have at least a couple of dozen kids trying to go to school, entering through that one door. {I need to check into SP or MC and see how to fix it so there are always a couple of empty houses so my Sims can move as needed.} Plus there might be fewer children! I have an older computer and wouldn't want to try it with 50+ kids, even if I wanted that many kids in my neighborhood, which I don't.

Consignment is still working as far as I can tell but I'm not getting notifications that anything is being sold. I went to the shop and clicked on buy and the number of items for sale is substantial. I'll look into Consigner to see if that can be controlled. Probably why my stuff isn't selling! I also did a ResetLot to see if I could get the school classification to work and didn't even think about my "parents" being on a free vacation. When they came back, their backpacks were empty. There went all the fish, sketches, garden items, bee items, inventions, etc. Annoyed the begeezers out of me! It didn't effect the 2 teenagers at home so must be an unfortunate side effect.

I also hadn't added any mods except for the velocitygrass' remove deco one. (Discovered it wasn't in the game even though I've used it for a long time!) The majority of my mods are from Nraas, plus AwesomeMod. I've a few from Buzzler & Anach but they've been in this game (new folder as I'm going through my downloads bit by bit because I just have too much stuff!) since the middle of February without problem. They are mods I had in my "real" game for a long time without problem as well.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 4:14 AM
You do know you can stop the game from creating new sims right? Your town has to be PACKED!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 4:51 AM
Hoooooly shit. Okay, you miiiiiiiiiiight want to use Story Progression to set a maximum number of children anyone in your town can have before going further. Otherwise your town's going to be so bloated every session's just going to end up in a lot of shaking and crying.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
My last town had over 1000 sims, 300 residents and 1 school. It worked just fine.

I finally started a new game after 7 yrs. Ahh forgotten how fast this game suppose to run. Takes me 15 sec to save now instead of 45 min.

Wow! I've had 2 hard drive crashes in that same 7 years plus some odd EA glitches (don't save a world when your houseboat is away from it's port!) so I've yet to keep a world going for more than a year....plus I get bored and start 6 other worlds at the same time! I actually have been thinking that I'd like to work mainly with 1 world and see about working through many generations of my sims family - plus that might make me less invested in them so I can try out some of the less "nice" events. I hate doing bad things to my own Sim! But 45 minutes to save - that's like Sims 2!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 6:09 PM Last edited by kslibra : 25th Apr 2016 at 6:24 PM.
You do know you can stop the game from creating new sims right? Your town has to be PACKED!

I see that I can do it through Story Progression. Need to read and find out how. The thing is, I never had that problem before...there was always an empty house or two, even if it might not be set up for a newly married couple to move in to. To my knowledge, I never had a single sim sprout 7 children, either. I've used these mods for years, although I don't think I'd ever used Consigner, Register, and probably not the SP Extra either. Don't know if there is something in there that is defaulting this population explosion. Everything but Register has been in the game a couple of months but that doesn't mean it just didn't take this long to trigger all this. Besides, it's been happening for a bit since it only became apparent when this woman's kids became children. So, while I'm checking out how to limit Sims, I'll have to see what I put in the game in February that might also be causing this. That's probably why I had "Consignment" issues to begin with!

I've an 8 year old computer running Vista and a Q6700 CPU. The video card is new (replaced my old 8800GTS) but I really don't have lagging issues. I use SimPE to bundle my packages and that keeps the load/save down to 5/2 minutes, even in this crazy world.
===================================================

Edit: Okay, when EA forced that last patch on us (Feb), I had to redownload Nraas mods. I tend to download everything that I might be interested in and keep them in a folder until I'm ready to read up on them and try them out. Looks like in all the confusion I accidentally popped the SP Population mod into my game in Feb so that is likely the culprit. (I've never put it in any games before.) I would have thought, however, that Nraas would have set the defaults such that this sort of craziness wouldn't happen. Won't help with all the kids I currently have but I'll take the mod out, add some empty houses (I do have empty lots) and see if it corrects itself. THEN I'll do some research before/if I add it back in. Whew!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 7:24 PM

Okay, I've poked around a bit and it doesn't look like SP Population could cause this problem. Seems as though it's concerned with Emigration/Immigration but is set to 0. I tried Googling but it seems as though everyone is interested in how to make households larger, not smaller.

I thought the game was supposed to check for available beds before generating sims. I don't want to eliminate new Sims, that would defeat the point. But any idea what is overriding the bed check? I checked a few households and have another one, also a single mother with 1 double and 2 single beds on a dock, that has 2 children - a toddler & child. No crib.

I also have no empty houses - what would set the immigration to keep a couple of empty houses? I don't want to eliminate it entirely but it would be helpful if my expanding town (coupling up) had a place to go instead of living apart with Mom & Pops!

Thanks all!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 9:32 PM
The game doesn't check for beds. That is a feature you get when you install Story Progression. I am not sure if you can set Story Progression to leave empty houses. Perhaps you could set it to where you only have "X:" amount of people in your town thus leaving some empty houses?