Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 5:59 PM
Default A 6x8 starter on a 10x10 lot
There's always a challenge in trying to live in the smallest place available. Yet, with less spent on the land, there is more money for building. Can you create a nice starter home, using the lot editor, on a 10x10 lot and leave room for a small parking space?

Here's a stone slab ready for your building:

Feel free to create your own base as I didn't make a totally flat lot.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3uufb...arter.Sims3Pack

Guidelines:
1. Avoid custom content.
2. Add at least one tree, shrub, potted plant, and/or flowers.
3. Keep room for at least one vehicle to park.

BONUS: Keep costs low enough for a single Sim to move in straight out of CAS. (But you can depreciate the cost of everything by moving in a Sim first or using AwesomeMod's "wandhere" option.)

You may build up or down or in both directions.
Your basement and/or upper floor(s) may extend beyond this base.
You may place foundation and/or other flooring over this slab, and you can use part of this slab as outdoor patio space.

Hopefully, that's everything and not too restrictive.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 9:07 PM
Here's the one I made that came in at 16,455 or 16,485 depending on if you read the amount before the house loaded or afterwards. Weird, huh?

(Double click image to bring up the slideshow.)

I just did a plain house to see if it was possible, but I didn't want a symmetrical look. I also wanted a little extra room in front of the door. I tried to put a chess set on the side of the house, but it wouldn't center there as the ground is not level. I could put one further back towards the backyard, but I ditched it for the drafting table in the basement which is way more fun anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing what others do. You might do a starter version and then another cc filled overbudget for comparison.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 1:29 AM Last edited by Sulyuki : 18th Sep 2010 at 8:51 PM.
Here's my tiny starter, it cost 16 485 furnished and 10 034 unfurnished.

Edit: It's strange that the price changed to 1§ less than it was before. I cut the cost down by another 50§ without making any visual changes just by replacing the wallpaint on the outside to use the one for 3§ instead of one for 4§ and put the same pattern on it.

Click on the image to see the slideshow.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 2:53 AM
I absolutely love it! It's great! I like the exterior textures and colors, the shape, everything. And you kept it in budget. That's a house I'd like in my neighborhood!
Inventor
#5 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 3:11 AM
Very nice,i'm gonna try this .
Forum Resident
#6 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 5:34 PM
I haven't updated to the latest patch yet, so I can't install the S3P yet. I might remake it in my game, since it's uncomplicated, but for now, I'll just make up what I want to do with it in my head.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 9:44 PM
Ok I have built something but before I show you the pics I didn't read the bit about no cc and though most is store stuff I have included some of my own pics too. I won't change it as if you look at the exterior shots it just wouldn't look the same without the build items from the store and here - windows and front door mainly. So obviously I can't upload it either. From now on I will use Google to research my lots as this one just came from my imagination. It is a kind of ex Spanish-esque chapel type home if you get my drift. Yes I know what a weird imagination I must have lol. It comes to 15,547 in game.

Forum Resident
#8 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 9:46 PM
It's gorgeous! I know I'd love to have that in my game. Why won't you be uploading it to MTS?

Field Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 9:54 AM
The front windows and door are from the store - Once I've completed this weeks entry for the contest (still looking for a suitable plan lol) I'll try and come back to this and find some suitable replacements I could use the WA cellar door I guessand maybe the Egyptian style side windows?
Inventor
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 2:40 PM
oh wow I love that. Very unique

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Forum Resident
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sandymdh
The front windows and door are from the store - Once I've completed this weeks entry for the contest (still looking for a suitable plan lol) I'll try and come back to this and find some suitable replacements I could use the WA cellar door I guess and maybe the Egyptian style side windows?

Why not just keep the store ones? You're allowed to upload houses with store content on them.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 10:29 PM
Really nice! I like the look of it a lot.
Inventor
#13 Old 25th Sep 2010 at 5:46 PM
I'm working on this now. It's already went well above the 16,500 though lol Will have to try to depreciate it later I guess.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 25th Sep 2010 at 5:55 PM
I had to do that :-) I had a lot of fun with this one -I might even make another one... the other one was popular so I uploaded it with WA window and door alternatives.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 25th Sep 2010 at 6:11 PM
Ah! A double challenge - build in miniature and keep it cheap! Love the "entries" so far. Three unique little places that are eminently downloadable as starters for those of us who don't cheat on starting funds.
Two questions: Does CC include store content - as Sandymydh noted, they have great build stuff compared to base game? The base, which I haven't installed yet, as I just downloaded it, appears to be NOT a raised foundation. Is it really at ground level? Because then basements are of course possible - tried to build one yesterday on a lot I'm working on, but kept getting a "you cannot put (basement) stairs in a foundation" error. Am I losing my mind here - it used to be possible to do so, didn't it? IF you erased some foundation and added a short stair and landing, before the basement stairs. Maybe I just didn't leave enough space....
Inventor
#16 Old 25th Sep 2010 at 6:42 PM
It's really hateful now, I think the best way is to add the basement and add the stairs going up, then build a foundation with an ample area to place stairs to get to the other set leading to the basement, if that made sense. I'm terrible at explaining things.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Sep 2010 at 6:51 PM Last edited by Ciane : 26th Sep 2010 at 7:04 PM.
Yeah, I purposely left this foundationless just so that it would be basement-friendly. You can add a foundation at your discretion, of course. It's just that foundations need one more landing space and one more set of steps.

And, yes, store content is okay. I just want to avoid a lot of cc.

I'm happy to see that there are others like me who start their Sims out without money cheats.
Inventor
#18 Old 26th Sep 2010 at 8:49 PM
I may start over not liking what I got so far lol

Field Researcher
#19 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 4:37 PM
I'd have to pretty much redo mine to get it uploaded - it came back with quite a few changes required. Hmmm what to do.... Have you ever had that situation when you like something the way it is and it's recommended to change it fundamentally? Bit of a dilemna lol.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 4:49 PM
They wanted you to change it? But why? They're not that picky where housing is concerned. I can't see what's wrong with the house, from the screenshots you gave us before.

Inventor
#21 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 5:06 PM
Not that picky? lol Nearly every house I ever upload has to have changes made of some kind.

Field Researcher
#22 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 6:00 PM
lol - yes mine often need changes too - in this case the roof is not good enough, the arched bit at the top of the tower wall doesn't match the panelling enough and the bedroom should be upstairs not downstairs - yes I could improve the first 2 but I liked the upstairs entertaining/eating balcony :-(
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 6:38 PM
Well, I'd keep this one and make another version too. It's always challenging to rethink another solution, and I like a challenge. After the remodel is approved, maybe you could link the original one in that thread as well.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenlea
Not that picky? lol Nearly every house I ever upload has to have changes made of some kind.

Really? I've never had to make changes to mine. I just assumed it was the same with everyone, since I'm certainly not an experienced builder.

Well, sandmydh, I love what you did and I don't see anything wrong with it, although it would be easy enough to make changes to the first two: but fundamentally changing and reworking the entire house makes it a completely different house, in which case it isn't the same house.

Inventor
#25 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 11:09 PM
hehe then you're better than you give yourself credit for lol

Page 1 of 2