Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Works great For anybody that wants a step by step on painting replacement, it goes like this:

1. Start Neighborhood Workshop (TS3NWS)
2. Choose Modify Neighborhood (pen icon)
3. Double-click the game you want to modify (the active family portrait is displayed)
4. Click Still Life Studio
5. Use the Previous and Next buttons to select a painting. All the Sim-painted paintings in that game are initially in the list. You can filter the list by Artist and Location using the dropdowns.
6. Select File | Export Painting. The painting will be saved as a .png in the location you specify.
7. Modify the painting in your image editor of choice. (Note that the painting as it displays in-game and in the painting list is cropped, and the replacement image will be cropped the same way.)
8. Select File | Import Painting to import your modified painting.
9. Select File | Save, and save your modified savegame as a save file in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Saves.
10. Start the Sims, select your new savegame, and enjoy your new masterpiece

Just so i'm clear, becouse none of my paintings show up in Life Studio.

I have my Sim paint a picture. Do I save the game while he is painting it or after its finished? Does it matter if he sells it or hangs it on the wall?

I know I'm doing something wrong, just don't know what.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 1:29 AM
As long as it's a still life painting, it doesn't matter if it's in your sim's inventory or hanging on the wall. A still life painting includes those that you paint with the "Paint still life", "Paint portrait", and "Paint from memory" options - basically the ones that paint screen captures of the game.
Test Subject
#53 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chaosme
As long as it's a still life painting, it doesn't matter if it's in your sim's inventory or hanging on the wall. A still life painting includes those that you paint with the "Paint still life", "Paint portrait", and "Paint from memory" options - basically the ones that paint screen captures of the game.

Thank you, theres where I was going wrong. I was just having my Sim paint a normal random picture. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks again
Test Subject
#54 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:54 AM
Is it possible to save my altered painting to an individual file? I mean that it would be among the other buyable paintings?

Ps: The alteration itself works perfectly!! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#55 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 11:05 AM
If you want to make the paintings buyable you're better off following these steps to make an actual catalog object. It's actually even easier than that now with the object cloner, but I don't know if anyone has written up a tutorial on that.
Eminence Grise
#56 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
If you want to make the paintings buyable you're better off following these steps to make an actual catalog object. It's actually even easier than that now with the object cloner, but I don't know if anyone has written up a tutorial on that.

Xanathon gives basic instructions for doing this with the cloner here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=356694

That was several versions of the cloner ago, even easier now.

Basically, from the file menu, clone your object with S3OC, and remove any unnecessary resources in S3PE (you can probably take out everything except the image resources and the OBJD resource). Then "fix" the clone in S3OC (make a unique new object -- you can change the price and catalog text when you do this). Then extract the image resource in S3PE, modify it with your new painting image, and reimport. Save the package, and you're done.

Takes about ten minutes
Test Subject
#57 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 5:41 PM
How do I use this? I wanted to change a value in one of my files. I saved it as "ohkay." When the file is named Moved. I made a backup file named Moved2. Now, I just don't know how the hell to load the game with it. Or import it. I just downloaded it as a .zip file. I did not use the wizard.
Test Subject
#58 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 5:49 PM
Can we a another download link please.
Eminence Grise
#59 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kronzik
How do I use this? I wanted to change a value in one of my files. I saved it as "ohkay." When the file is named Moved. I made a backup file named Moved2. Now, I just don't know how the hell to load the game with it. Or import it. I just downloaded it as a .zip file. I did not use the wizard.

All you need to do is put your savegame file in the Sims 3 save folder. Then it will show up as one of your save games in the main menu when you start the game.
Test Subject
#60 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 4:32 PM
I dont think i was clear - can we have a alternative download link - the site wich host the files is blocked by my isp.
Test Subject
#61 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 2:45 PM
Since you wanted to know--the program works through Mono on a mac. I am having issues with the Still Life Editor (it freezes after loading the pictures), but the Advanced Editor works well. I won't be able to test my edited save file in-game until I get home tonight, but all I did was fix a bug where an adopted child didn't show up on one parent's family tree, so I don't expect any problems. Thanks for the tool!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#62 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 3:24 PM
Thanks for the report! Did the app bundle work, or did you have to start it from a command line?
Test Subject
#63 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
Thanks for the report! Did the app bundle work, or did you have to start it from a command line?
I started it from the command line. I'm new to Mono and have no idea how to otherwise make it work (I have Parallels installed and clicking on the .exe makes my Windows partition boot up; not sure how to change that).
Test Subject
#64 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 8:17 AM
Sorry to butt in, but... is there any way to force ghosts into the family with this program, and better yet, turn back their age? I made the mistake of letting my first sim's ghost have his second death, and I've tried feeding him Ambrosia to make him come back, and doing the cheat code to force sims into the family, but it always fails. So I'm pretty desperate and really want to know if this is possible; to edit the save file to make a ghost sim who was already restored and re-died come back into the family. And make him younger.
Test Subject
#65 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ssargon
Sorry to butt in, but... is there any way to force ghosts into the family with this program, and better yet, turn back their age? I made the mistake of letting my first sim's ghost have his second death, and I've tried feeding him Ambrosia to make him come back, and doing the cheat code to force sims into the family, but it always fails. So I'm pretty desperate and really want to know if this is possible; to edit the save file to make a ghost sim who was already restored and re-died come back into the family. And make him younger.

The best way to de-age sims with this tool that I've found: set the sim to the age bracket younger than you want them to be, then use testingcheatsenabled true in-game, and age them up to the target age.
Test Subject
#66 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 7:06 PM
Hey, thanks alot! I got him back into my family at last. Setting age/force transition and changing that "always unselectable" or whichever option did the trick. Thank you!

On another note, I love your picture editing thing. Getting a good portrait of my Kane sim was difficult at best regularily, now I have actual pictures. Hehe.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 3:51 AM
thank you so much for making this thing, it is totally needed. I tired to create 3 YA sisters, and the game apparently doesn't understand that idea at all A simple family tree / genealogy edit, and it's fixed (and my game agrees).
So yes, thanks for making it, and thanks for making it mostly simple to use (though the comment by chaosme about adding parents helped a lot, so thanks to chaosme too)
Test Subject
#68 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 6:21 PM
I am trying to de-age some Sims and I can't find what fields need to be changed for their age group. Please, where do I set that?
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 12:41 AM
Aging state can be found under the mSimFlags value when you expand the tree for the sim. I've not tried changing the aging state before, so I'm not sure if it will work or not, but I recall reading that you should de-age the sim to the aging state before your desired stage then age up the sim the moment you go into the game and it should work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#70 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 12:48 AM
Right, chaosme has it correct. You can de-age, but it doesn't actually change anything visual about your sim - they still have the same appearance. So an elder de-aged to a teen still looks elder. If you go to the age group one younger, then throw them a party, they will then get the proper appearance for their new age.

There may be some oddities if you go teen or below, as far as traits go.
Test Subject
#71 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 4:09 PM
Thanks! I got it to work fine. The traits worked out fine for the two kids I de-aged, I just had to use testingcheatsenabled and then edit their traits to remove the extra, but their dad is having some problems. He was an elder and I made him YA then aged him up to adult. The game lost his facial hair so I sent him to the mirror to put it back on, but it came out as gray until I set it to black. Then when he wore his pajamas that night his hair went gray again. So I put him in his regular clothes and his hair was black, and then I unlocked and locked his hair color for all outfits and that worked. Hopefully when he has more children they don't come out with gray hair.

The only problem is that now other sims have a completely different picture for him in their relationships panel and when they talk to him. Some awful looking townie type picture, not him at all. Do you know what caused that and what I could do to fix it?
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 5:07 PM
I just encountered a problem when attempting to save a file in the editor. After the editor finishes saving the file, attempts to load up the new file shows the error message "Compressed data stream size mismatches index size" and the file refuses to load. Loading the new file in the game itself is also a no go, with the error message "A serious error has occurred when loading 'name of the save file'. It is recommended that you restart the application.

This occurs even when I don't make any changes and just use the save as option to save the opened file as another name.

Any idea what this problem means and if there is a way to get around it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#73 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 10:24 PM
Can you open up the original game (Before loading and saving in NWS) in S3PE or postal, and find the in-memory size of the resource with type 0x6b981ed, group 0 instance 1? It should be near the top of the list.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 12:43 AM
The filesize and memsize is 0x01007F1B as shown in s3pe. Chunkoffset is 0x0255AAB8
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#75 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 1:03 AM
Really? Interesting, the game didn't compress it at all. I know exactly why it's causing problems though - the compressed data field only has room for 3 bytes, so once it goes past 16mb, it fails.

Could you do one more thing, and (Making sure you are using a recent version of s3pe) in S3PE set that resource to compressed and save, then see if it loads into TS3 at that point? (Make sure to make a backup copy first.) The compression in S3PE is based off the compression in NWS, but with a couple changes, including handling of data over 16mb, however the handling of data over 16mb is still just theoretical.
Page 3 of 5