Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 6:44 PM Last edited by maxon : 28th Nov 2014 at 7:37 PM.
Default What to do, what to do - UC or not?
OK, so here's what's happening Chez maxon. I have ordered new computer stuffs which will arrive tomorrow and - finally - the new build computer is on its way. Hurrah! Although I am cannibalising this computer for parts, basically what I'm getting is a new build. In fact, I'm probably going to disappear for a couple of days while I wrestle with Windows (I'm installing Win7 again). I'm using this as an opportunity for a big clear out and everything I want will have to be reinstalled.

Anyway, that's not the point or question I want to ask. I will, of course, be reinstalling TS2 in fairly short order. My quandary is this. I have been playing the game since release and I have all EPs and SPs now on disk (or other independent media). However, over the summer, I also grabbed access to the UC while it was available. I will be reinstalling Origin since I cannot live without Mass Effect and, just now, Dragon Age so this is not an issue for me. But my question for you is this:

Should I install from disk or do you think using the UC is a better option?

My own somewhat random thoughts are as follows:
  • It will mean I can run the game from Origin instead of using the M&G disk all the time (I can't remember why I stopped using the exe patch but there was a reason) - big plus.
  • Some people seem to be having issues with support utilities like SimPE, SimCat, Clean Installer, CEP, Scriptorium, Moo's other stuffs (Neighbourhood Replacer, Hood Checker, Lot Adjuster) - no idea about things like Wardrobe Wrangler but that would be a blow too - no idea how much of an issue this really is but given I'm an inveterate fiddler with game files, the loss of too many of these would be a big fat NO.
  • Some people seem to be having trouble with CC - yeah, well the folder could use pruning (ok - major surgery then) but I think I might be able to use all of it ... eventually. I guess I could face making some hard choices <sigh>.
  • I would want to do the fiddling round with settings that allows you to stabilise the game so effectively - it was described on a thread over at GoS I think. Basically, getting the game to address one core (the new one will be four) and other stuff. Anyway, I tried it with the present install and it hasn't crashed once since (watch it crash and burn tonight now I've said that). So, I'd want to do that again. I'm guessing this would be possible but I've not seen anyone mention it in relation to the UC.

So I can't decide which route to go. If you have a moment and some ideas - would you care to discuss? We could develop a useful assessment of the goodness or badness of this version of the game.

Or you could just point and laugh I suppose. In which case, curse you and all your brethren.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 6:55 PM
If you don't mind Origin, and want to save your discs, then the UC is probably a good idea, particularly if you don't have one or more EPs/SPs as discs, or want your discs as a backup.

As for the support issues, I'm thinking most of them come from not setting up the programs properly. SimPE and the CI allows for custom settings for game paths, and the WW should also work. Not sure about the others.

For CC, it seems some people have Downloads folders popping up where they don't belong (at least that was the case for one simmer). Not sure if it was the UC or the user's fault.

In most of my time as a simmer, I've realized that about 20% of the TS2 problems come from bugs in programs, incompatible downloads, faulty installs, or similar. The remaining 80% are directly or indirectly caused by the users (like not reading instructions, doing VBTs, or blundering about while doing other stupid things that will cause troubles sooner or later). Unless it's an actual bug, there are usually workarounds and various ways to solve most problems.

Like I said, if you don't mind Origin, it's probably worth a try. If it doesn't work, at least you'll have your discs.

If you want to try, remember to take a backup of your current game and downloads before you start, so you have something to go back to.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 7:01 PM
I would go for it. You can transfer your hoods back into the old format if you have all EPs anyway, it would just require a full delete and reinstall. I'm resisting because I currently don't have BV or M&G, so transferring will be final, I won't be able to play my hoods again without those.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I would go for it. You can transfer your hoods back into the old format if you have all EPs anyway, it would just require a full delete and reinstall. I'm resisting because I currently don't have BV or M&G, so transferring will be final, I won't be able to play my hoods again without those.

Yeah, I was thinking that - I could always go back if I'm not happy.

The other thing that occurred to me to ask is any news on Homecrafter with UC? I know Bodyshop comes (as expected) with the installation but what about Homecrafter? I've made more floors and walls in the last couple of months than (I'm prepared to bet) there have been walls and floors uploaded here. I don't know where the urge came from but I'm currently making Victorian-Edwardian style external tiles as used on many pubs in the UK. Why? Well, I wanted to build yet another pub and the tiles I have for this are limited and not designed for purpose

Oh, and AGS?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 8:36 PM
I won't be much help to you (I still have XP and am playing on an 8 yr. old computer) but I got the UC because I didn't have the last 3 things that came out for TS2: Ikea, K&B and M&G. But, even if I'd had everything, I would have still gotten and used the UC so's I could save wear & tear on my discs.

I do have a few problems with some of the hacks that I used to use, but I think it's just a problem with the way I'm doing my load orders, so I'm just doing without some of them til I can figure it out.

But...you could always give it a go and if it doesn't meet your expectations, uninstall and go back to using your discs.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 9:05 PM
Given all the posts you see on the UC and help with weird problems I'd say stick to your disks. The only reason I went through the trouble of chat to get it on my Origin dash is I thought being 'new' it would have been made with later windows in mind, like 7 and up, but since seeing the posts it hardly sounds that way. So no i think it's worse and only a good thing for those who did not have the full game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 9:07 PM
AGS will not work with UC and that is the reason i have my disk install on my main computer.

Quote:
My own somewhat random thoughts are as follows:
It will mean I can run the game from Origin instead of using the M&G disk all the time (I can't remember why I stopped using the exe patch but there was a reason) - big plus.

You can just make a short cut from the game folder and go straight into the game without launching Origin.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 9:28 PM
Well, I can say that I play the UC and out of all the programs you mentioned, Neighborhood Replacer is the only one I don't have installed. They're all functioning just fine for me, they just have to be installed differently.

As Simmer22 said, I think the vast majority of the problems people encountered, was from just installing the programs the default way, which of course doesn't work when the path is different.

This, to me, is the only difference between the UC and the disc games, aside from the obvious difference of just being able to install the game with one click, instead of having a mountain of discs on your desk. Also, I avoid the annoyance of the game crashing before starting up, because the UC doesn't try to load up the non-existing Sims 2 website.
Inventor
#9 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
particularly if you don't have one or more EPs/SPs as discs, or want your discs as a backup.

Although I did make sure I got the origin game as well, I still chose to install my discs, (had to do a reïnstall because I thought I could use both versions at the same time, but found out quickly it wasn't possible) and I do miss EP/SP's.
Maybe it's better for the disc to use origin instead, good point, but somehow I felt better about using a disc install.
Probably because I am unfamiliar with origin. Hadn't heard from it ever before, until my son told me I could get the whole sims 2 game free until a certain date.
Of course I didn't want to miss out on it and registered to get the game.
Maybe it's more logical to choose for origin if you don't have all the ep/sp's.
I can agree to that, even when I chose something else for myself.

Not sure if this whole message even has a point or just that I read something that fit me and wanted to respond to that.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
AGS will not work with UC and that is the reason i have my disk install on my main computer.

If that's the case then in one sentence you just made up my mind for me. Cannot possibly work without AGS.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 12:24 AM
I forgot about that one, agreed that is a killer.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 12:35 AM
I got the UC, to have it as a backup in case my game CDs stop working. It was free, and I wanted a backup. Easy choice. Didn't install it, though. At least now I have a copy that'll work for most worst-case scenarios.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 10:34 AM
Imo - go for it! My game not only loads a lot faster, but also runs much smoother - when I got it I thought I could always go back to the cd's, but now I know I won't. I struggled with the Clean Installer but it has been updated since, so I'd suggest back up your games in case you don't like UC and try it
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 12:51 PM
Yep AGS doesn't work at all.

I wonder if anyone will be able to make a fix for that? Even if it required the ownership of the relevant latest disc. That would be a really useful thing to have.

Do you use AGS to make different game combinations? Or do you use it to swap full games out? If you're using it to swap full games in and out, this is perfectly possible with UC and without AGS - just rename your TS2 folder. Attached is what mine looks like at the moment. When I want to play my elsewhere hood, apocalypse hood, or my son's hood, I rename the current folder to .mega and delete the extension on the folder I want. Completely different set up of mods, neighbourhoods, age spans, whatever!
Screenshots

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
#15 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 3:21 PM
I tried to follow Mootildas instructions about how to make AGS work with the collection packs. But I could not figure it out. But some other people did it. There is a thread somewhere.
It has something to do with changes in the registry.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Yep AGS doesn't work at all.

I wonder if anyone will be able to make a fix for that? Even if it required the ownership of the relevant latest disc. That would be a really useful thing to have.

Do you use AGS to make different game combinations? Or do you use it to swap full games out? If you're using it to swap full games in and out, this is perfectly possible with UC and without AGS - just rename your TS2 folder. Attached is what mine looks like at the moment. When I want to play my elsewhere hood, apocalypse hood, or my son's hood, I rename the current folder to .mega and delete the extension on the folder I want. Completely different set up of mods, neighbourhoods, age spans, whatever!

Nope - I build hoods and do a lot of testing of one thing or another. I need AGS to work.