Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 7:05 AM
how to recolor custom content
Hi,
I hope this is the right place to ask about this...

I've been looking all over for a while for a tutorial or explanation of how to recolor custom content that I've downloaded, but I can't find anything. Is it even possible?

I have downloaded a bunch of custom stuff, but none of it shows up in "Wizards of SimPE" which is what I have been using to recolor regular Maxis content. Even the Maxis-made custom content from the Sims2 official website doesn't show up.

Can someone please give me a link to a tutorial or even explain it yourself if you have the time?
It would be HUGELY appreciated.

thanks so much,
Crazy4Sims17
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 8:50 AM
You can't recolour custom objects using the Wizard of SimPE; you need to use the standard Object Workshop.
Follow this tutorial and read the HINT in step 1 about recolouring custom objects.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 12:54 AM
Default thanks for the tutorial! but...
Ok, I read the tutorial (thanks, by the way, for the link) but I get stuck at the point where I'm supposed to "Right-click on the image and choose Build DXT."

It won't let me click "Build DXT."

My only options are Import..., Import Alpha Channel..., Update all Sizes, Import DDS..., Export..., or Export Alpha Channel....

Did I do something wrong? What should I do now?
Scholar
#4 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 7:52 AM
Just be sure that point C of what You need is up to date.

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 10:17 PM
I've had the same problem because i hadn't installed Nvidia DDS Utilies, maybe it's the same with you. Make sure your preference also directs to the right folder after installation.

You can find my bodyshop contents at Garden of Shadows as Nthdv.
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 3:17 AM Last edited by mattphipps68 : 14th Feb 2009 at 4:30 AM. Reason: Tried again and created successful RC... Thanks just the same...
More questions about CC recolors
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
You can't recolour custom objects using the Wizard of SimPE; you need to use the standard Object Workshop.
Follow this tutorial and read the HINT in step 1 about recolouring custom objects.
Ok - I figured out how to do a simple 1 shade RC of the dog chew bone using the Wizard of SimPE tutorial (and by extension I can theoretically handle a 2 shade RC...), but how do I handle a RC of something more complicated like one of the cars? The tutorial sort of glosses over the actual image editing process. All I am trying to do is change the body color of one of my car downloads from red to black but the txtr file is stacked with numerous other images that get wiped out when I try to create a new color layer (I have wasted several hours trying to figure this out). Am I going to have to recreate the ENTIRE texture file or is there a way to separate the original texture layers so I can change the base color? I'm using Paint.net image editor.

Quote: Originally posted by pixelhate
Just be sure that point C of what You need is up to date.
Did you mean "part" C and are you referring to the SDK from Nvidia? If so, then I made sure to get the latest updates....

Thanks in advance -
M.

------------------------------

I had a Homer Simpson "doh" experience and figured out where I screwed up... :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 10:13 AM
The tutorial was not meant to teach how to edit an image; this is something not strictly related to the Sims game. I can only say that - unfortunately - the images extracted by the game do NOT have layers.
As for Pixelhate's comment, yes, he meant the NVidia "Legacy" DDS Utilities: read carefully how to set up SimPE, so to make it use the DDS Utilities.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 8:38 PM
My custom content recolors are not displaying in the game. I've followed the direction to the letter from the Object Workshop tutorial and have had no problems. The recolor packages are successfully completed and copied to my folder in my downloads but when I load The Sims 2 and pick the custom content objects that I've recolored they are not there. This is what I've done:

-Open the custom content mesh in Object Workshop.
-Export the texture .png(s) I need to recolor to my work folder.
-Recolor the images on photoshop CS4.
-Save the recolored .png(s) separately, changing the file name (but not the format) from the original.
-Go into Object Workshop, right click the texture and choose 'Build DXT'. Window comes up and I open my work folder and select the recolored .png that I created. Once selected, if it is a solid object I select format: DXT1; sharpen: None and if it is a transparency (a shear curtain recolor in my case) I select format: DXT3; sharpen: None. When selections are made I click 'Build'. New color has replaced original color and I commit the changes. After all textures for the object have been changed to the new color and commited I 'Save As...' and give the recolor a new name as a DBPF package. I copy the DBPF package and paste it into my folder in the downloads area.

Everything seemed to be going fine but when I load my game, recolors of custom content do not appear. I need to add that I do have CEP 9.2.0 installed so I know that isn't my problem. My OS is Windows 7 (x64) but The Sims 2 plays just fine and SimPE (and Wizards of SimPE) works beautifully for my Maxis (EA) recolors. Did I miss something here?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 3:14 AM
The object which you are recolouring, does it have any existing recolours? If it is custom, it may not have been correctly configured for recolouring
Field Researcher
#10 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 10:03 PM
Got It!
Hello Echo,

I posted the problem in a new thread and figured out my problem. Here is the post I wrote summing up my issue:

"Mustluvcatz said: "Are you clicking recolor when you open the mesh?"

Very close mustluvcatz! I believe I figured out my problem. Apparently, when I opened the meshes, I wasn't opening them through the Object Workshop 'Open' button below the 'Start' button. I was opening them by going to the 'Open' option under the 'FILE' menu.

I think this is what was causing the problem and after reading your post mustluvcatz I am sure it was the problem.

I knew that the objects I wanted to recolor were recolorable because others had done them. HugeLunatic and mustluvcatz thanks a huge bunch for responding to my post. Hopefully I won't make a fool out of myself for a long while after this little fiasco."

Thanks for responding Echo. I really appreciate your help.
Test Subject
#11 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 6:06 PM
If my VGA STI Radeon 3000series
The tutorial was not meant to teach how to edit an image; this is something not strictly related to the Sims game. I can only say that - unfortunately - the images extracted by the game do NOT have layers.
As for Pixelhate's comment, yes, he meant the NVidia "Legacy" DDS Utilities: read carefully how to set up SimPE, so to make it use the DDS Utilities.

Hi,
I'm still beginner. Can you help me? I 'm so confused. I'm not active Nvidia yet, cause I'm afraid that would be crash with my vga ati radeon. This is will be crash or not? (I'm Sorry, my English so bad)
Thank you
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#12 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 8:38 PM
Test Subject
#13 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 2:04 PM
Hi, HugeLunatic
Thanks for your attentions & your reply.
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 7:33 PM
where do you downlod it, sorry I am blonde(litterally)! =P

Once apon a yesterday, my life changed.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#15 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 7:42 PM
... where do you download -what-, lolipop121?
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 7:57 PM
I tired Object Workshop and none of my custom content showed up!

Once apon a yesterday, my life changed.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#17 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 8:01 PM
Did you read Numenor's reply to this thread from way back in 2008?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#18 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 11:24 AM
Okay, I got a little confused with "editing" and image versus "recolouring" and image. I would like to take an object (it is CC) and use it as a base to create another object. I guess this is editing not recolouring? When I went to the editing tutorial page on this site, it led me to Numenor's tutorial on recolouring using OW. Is there a tutorial specifically for what I want to do? I'll keep searching. Thanks.