Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2008 at 10:39 AM
How to make the texture clearer in SimPE
Hi.I wonder how to make the texture clearer,or with more higher definition in SimPE.Is there any tutorial on this issue?
The SimPE that I use is V0.66.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2008 at 10:50 AM
Make sure you're using Build DXT and the nVidia DDS Utilities - not the Import button.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356

You can play with the settings when using Build DXT to see if there are particular settings that work better for your object. Higher DXT numbers (DXT3 or 5) also tend to give higher quality, but are best used only when you need transparency - due to their much larger file sizes, they're best not to use except in rare circumstances for increasing quality.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2008 at 11:11 AM
Start with nice clear high quality (not necessarily large -- just nice, sharp and smooth) graphics and SimPE with the DDS utilities will do a great job.

However, be aware that if the mesh is mapped poorly, it doesn't matter how nice your texture is, things will still be stretched and ugly.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2008 at 9:45 PM Last edited by Manga_Moon : 2nd Sep 2008 at 10:12 PM.
I was just going to ask this, so I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks for your help HP and bluetexasbonnie, but my DDS utilities still don't work correctly or maybe I'm just a perfectionist. I want the texture to be *exactly* the same in SimPE as in Photoshop. I build DXT3 with the thingy set to none but it still degrades its quality quite a bit and the outer zooms are no way near as sharp, any help with this?

Thanks in advance, Manga
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2008 at 10:28 PM
Are you saying that if you bring the texture into SimPE with the DDS utilities and then export it back out and compare the original & export that there is significant degradation?

Or are you saying that when you look in game at your object there is degradation? If the graphics/texture is good up close then SimPE did its job. Do you have game graphics at their highest?

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 2:10 AM
Yes the settings are at their highest. The wierd thing is different things happen to different colours. Greens and blues tend to do well... whereas pinks, yellows and reds tend to import quite patchy (gradients).

Also the texture will look good in SimPE until I close SimPE down and re-open the package and it's degraded then.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 2:14 AM
That is really odd. I haven't noticed that happening. Don't know if it is a case of it doesn't happen or a case of me being out to lunch.

Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 8:01 AM
THANX!Any other answer?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 10:22 AM
jtsbtsss - What other answers do you want? You've gotten answers that should fix most issues. If you continue to have a problem, you need to provide more information - like Manga Moon has done, so we can answer based on whatever specific issues you're having. Do -not- bump posts if you don't get an instant answer. This is a forum, not a chat room - it sometimes takes time for people to get online, see your question, and answer. And (and I really shouldn't have to say this) do NOT make new accounts to ask the same question you've already gotten answers for! Having multiple accounts is a bannable offense for ALL your accounts.

Manga - Try adding just the tiniest bit of monochromatic noise in your graphics program before doing Build DXT. You can do it selectively, just to areas that have a problem. When I say a tiny bit, I mean -tiny-. You should be able to see it as a bit of noise added when zoomed in, but all of your textures should remain looking exactly as they were when zoomed out. This usually confuses the compression just enough that those areas will not end up patchy. Especially good for darker textures, but if you're getting it on lighter ones, it can help with that too. As I said, do it selectively once you notice an issue: because it's confusing the compression, it will give larger file sizes so you want to only do it where necessary.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 11:33 AM
Okay, thankyou for -all- your help Bluetexasbonnie and HP! I really appreciate it
Test Subject
#11 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 1:13 AM
I was having the same issue with degradation while importing textures back with SimPE. This thread has been very helpful to me and the answers from HP helped fix my problem. My problem was that I was not using BuildDXT after importing the image, and in doing so now I no longer have degradation. Thanks for your help.
--
SIMper Fi