Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 11:30 AM Last edited by leesester : 22nd Dec 2008 at 1:12 AM. Reason: must learn to spell
Default Tutorial for enabling recolourability
Hi
I have seen a few requests recently for objects to be made recolourable (not to make a recolour, but to add the tsDesignModeEnabled option to an object). I could not find the tutorial to direct people to. I know how to make an object recolourable, and if there is no tutorial I am willing to write one, but first I wanted to check if such a tutorial existed?

EDIT: tutorial added here

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Advertisement
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 3:35 PM
Hi there - I literally was just going to ask this question. I have an object that is not buyable in the game today and so (I'm guessing) isn't covered by CEP. I want to be able to add recolors to it. I didn't know about tsDesignModeEnabled until I saw your post.

I've searched on it and found this. I don't if there's more to it than that, as I'm just about to go and try it - but it might make the basis of your tutorial.

Cheers
Mog
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 3:55 PM
Hi Mog
This is indeed the correct method - and I will make a tutorial with happy pictures for those who are really new to SimPE.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 4:06 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 21st Dec 2008 at 5:11 PM. Reason: Followed instructions and noticed something else
Just tried it and looks like that thread doesn't give you everything you need anyway - so perhaps a full tutorial will be very useful to pull all the bits together. The object I'm trying to make recolorable didn't have any MMATs either. Found this which will hopefully get me sorted. Hopefully your tutorial will pull all these different things you have to remember into one place. It will be a very valuable tutorial based on the numbers of hits I've seen searching on tsDesignModeEnabled.

One thing that did catch me out when following the second thread was that the MMAT and TXMT names are related - a point worth highlighting in your tutorial IMO.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 5:37 PM Last edited by leesester : 21st Dec 2008 at 6:25 PM.
Hi all
Well, I made a little tutorial that just covers the tsDesignModeEnabled story, please see attached and say what you think. I did not cover the more complex areas of making recolours for objects as there are excellent tutorials already for that, but I did include the links in the document.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Object Recolourable Tutorial.rar (860.0 KB, 108 downloads) - View custom content
Description: PDF file

Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 6:22 PM
phoenix_phaerie "spooked" how to to this here, add a tsDesignModeEnabled in the Geometric Node.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 6:25 PM
Yes, I saw that (already pointed out by Mog), but mine was targetted at new users so has lots of screenshots and also covers when not to bother trying (repository items)

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 9:04 PM Last edited by songbirdRobyn : 21st Dec 2008 at 9:22 PM.
Hey, leesester, thanks for the tutorial. This makes everything make soooo much more sense (like when you fixed me letter - because you used it as the example!)

This really worked for me, I'm such a Noob!

Now, I believe I won't run into this problem in the future.

You are very awesome!

Thank yoU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Dec 2008 at 9:47 PM Last edited by leesester : 23rd Dec 2008 at 1:44 AM. Reason: still cannot spell
Hi SBR, - I got to admit I kind of made it for you (and new people like you) because I could not find a simple tutorial to direct you to, and it was too long for a post, and I felt bad because I did it for you when you really wanted to do it yourself to learn.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2008 at 5:47 PM
You are just soooo awesome! I can't even begin to thank you enough for how much you have helped me!

Thank you for the tutorial cuz now I kind of understand it better, and thank you for helping me with the letter while I was making it.

Its people like you that make me feel like someday I will be good at this stuff.

Thank you so very much!

-SBR
Field Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Dec 2008 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
Yes, I saw that (already pointed out by Mog), but mine was targetted at new users so has lots of screenshots and also covers when not to bother trying (repository items)

Don't worry.
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 7:30 AM
Ah, thanks at last Leeseter, I can finally get back to work on that lot.

[Insert witty and hilarious signature here]
The ModFather
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th May 2009 at 1:19 PM
Leester (and anyone interested) - The step you describe, i.e. adding a tsDesignModeEnabled block, is part of the tutorial "Adding a subset to an object (and making it recolorable)" by IgnorantBliss: see step 5. BTW, the mentioned tutorial explains also (in step 6) how to add a MMAT, which is essential to actually make a subset recolourable.

I tried to download and review your tutorial, but the attachment doesn't exist ("page not found"). But anyway, I don't think it can be more complete and detailed than IgnorantBliss' tutorial (if I'm wrong, then repost your tut and I'll take a look).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th May 2009 at 11:01 PM
Numenor - indeed, the file was lost in the crash, and yes, you are right - the whole method can be found in ignorantbliss' tutorials. The only thing is, it CAN make a relatively simple task quite daunting if faced with the full and unabridged IgnorantBliss version, so I made a very simple version for those objects that just needed the TsDesignmode switch flipping.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#15 Old 18th May 2009 at 11:04 PM
but the GMND block is not enough, you need a MMAt too... Did your mini-tut cover that part, too?
Anyway, I confess I didn't notice this thread was that old... I was directed here by a moderator in order to check the info on the thread and decide what to do about it.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.