Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 11:57 AM Last edited by gulhare : 19th Nov 2011 at 8:20 PM.
Default Vampire eye defaults same as custom eyes?SOLVED
Before I pm a creator that take requests I need to know if default replacement for vampire eyes is something a "I can do eyes" person can do, or if it is in a completely different league. And if it is, what type of creator would I need to approach?
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Sep 2011 at 3:45 AM
This is most definitely something you can do yourself! First you need the eyes you want to make into defaults. Then you need to download anyone's Default Eyes package. Open up the new eyes in SimPE and export the textures, then import those on top of the Default package one's. Hit Commit, and Save. Put it in your game and enjoy! Now, if you aren't the one who made the original eyes, you can't upload them without first asking the original creator's permission, but nothing says you can't use them in your own game yourself.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 3:45 PM
I have only used SimPE for export sims and follow HugeLunatics directions on fixing recolours of maxis rugs with the Hugelunatic "Rug Fix" in place (and needed help on that one) before. It seems so...scary. I do apreciate (?) the tip though, I just wish I was a brave enough person to try it.
I dont even know how I am supposed to "open"..."import".. stuff.

(no they are absolutely not my eyes....never made a simthing in my life...but I felt I should see if it is something a requesttaker could make before I asked what your policy really meant)
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 9:09 PM
Super simple, even simpler than the things you've mentioned. Open the package (double click on it's icon) and find the image texture TXT, right click on the picture for the export and import options. You can definitely do this. Give it a shot, if you get stuck, tell me what happened and I'll try to help you more.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 6:55 AM
Ok. I tried this...sort of. Didnt commit because from what I can see this will make the skin overlay go away? I still want the blueish overlay.
And I have realised I have to make a vampire as well, to test this with if it ever get made.

Oh really you are an evil person for making me do the job myself. Evil I say. (<-- and no Im not serious of course)
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 4:17 PM
Committing should not make the skin overlay go away, it is a button that basically says "are you sure you want to do this change?". You always need to commit your changes and save to see your package working.

I'm a little concerned that you are even mentioning skin overlays. We are only dealing with eyes and eye packages, this should not effect the skin overlay at all. If you are doing some sort of sim surgery, thats way more complicated and not the right way. Can you link me to the eyes you are making into Vamp Defaults? You are using the Default package I linked you to as well, correct? We are taking the images out of the ones you like and putting them straight into the Default package.

And if you need a vampire quickly, you've got a couple options. http://www.modthesims.info/d/275300 or http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=125591

I'm *very* happy you are doing this yourself. Seeing your own work in game is really fun.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 10:35 AM
Well, what happens is when I "import" the eye texture the eye in the small square change but the rest of the area with the blueish tinted and white little squares with image of face and body (very hard to see image) turns into simply grey and white squares and no face body trace at all.

I didnt download that set of defaults at first (as I have used a complete set for a while, where Engram made the vamp default to go with it) but the results were the same when I tried the one you linked. What I get in SimPE is a number of textures wich I assume is the vampire overlay for each available age and sex. And nowhere is just a single eye to replace, just the duble eye+skin-thing.
No im definately not doing any surgery.

Eye Im trying to use is Ruby from set 3. (Keen Eyes)

Am I right in the guess that I will have to try to figure out GIMP in order to do this? Combine the skin and eye thing? That is not good news you see, because I am very, very bad at image crativity....
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 3:43 PM
Ok, now I understand. I'm sorry, I had never actually done the vampire stuff before, I was just assuming it worked the same as regular defaults... which it doesn't. I downloaded it to see what you were talking about and you are right. The face-skin overlay and the eye default are actually on the same texture. I apologize, this is *slightly* more complicated than what I was first thinking. It's not however too complicated for you yet though.

You will need GIMP, but you won't have to do anything in it except open the two textures and save again. First open the vampire blue overlay thingy one. Then open and place on top of it my Keen Eye. It should go to the very top lefthand corner, it might 'jump' into place once you get it close, but maybe not, I've never used GIMP. I don't know if it has any 'Flatten' feature, but save it down to just one level as a .png so you don't lose the transparency. Since the Keen Eye doesn't have anything in the middle, its completely transparent there and won't mess with the vamp overlay blue. Repeat for all ages.

Open back up the default package, right click on the image, choose 'Build DXT'. In that window, click Open Image, navigate to your file, and then in the drop down box on the right, pick DXT5Format. Click Build, then click Commit. Repeat for all ages. Click Save.

If you don't have the Build DXT options, you are missing a plugin for SimPE, the DDS Utilities. Get it here: http://developer.nvidia.com/legacy-texture-tools
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 10:08 PM
Well well well. It seems I have gotten my vampire defaults. As far as I can see it worked, but I am not friend with The GIMP....

Have tested on a family , elders adults and teens, and they looked ok. The game didnt crash. So I guess everything is fine?

Now I just have to find the default Engram made because idiot me first saved instead of save as (never mind that I probably never will use that set again now that the keen eyes are complete, I still want the other set to be complete...).

Thank you for the help, and for the prod in the aft end...My game didnt blow up, my sims seem safe. I have played with no ill effects (but not any vampires, there is no vamp yet in my BACC). Im still worried I broke something, but hey I can always reinstall.
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 1:36 AM
Glad to hear everything else worked out okay for you. While GIMP isn't your friend, I'd be pleased as punch if you did a couple other of my Keen Eye colors for Default Vamps and Default Werewolfs (*should* be the same process) and then uploaded them here at MTS. I'd personally love to see a Vamp set of my Ruby, Amber, and Crystal; and a Wolf set of Aztec, Wildflower, and Varnish. What do you say, earn yourself an Orange Creator name? It will also get you a spot in this month's New Creators list.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 6:07 PM
I dont know about that. The defaults Engram had made was 443 kb mine got a whooping 1708 kb, so obviously something is not done correct. I wouldnt want to inflict that on anyone. I will probably try to remake them, to see if there is something I can fiddle with to make them smaller in size. Honestly dont know what I could possibly do though

And I didnt know werewolfs got other eyes as well! Does plantsims or zombies also get an eyechange? I have had all of those before but obviously I havent paid attention. Only ever noticed the vampires. And didnt like.
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 9:19 PM
Run the SimCompressorizor on it afterwards, see if that helps with the file size. Werewolfs get these awful yellow eyes, but the others get to keep their own eyes.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 8:11 AM
I redid these with radgl2004's defaults as base and then they ended up at the same size (1281 kb) as those. So I looked closer at Engrams and they seem to be compressed. But why that would cause "mine" to jump up to 1708 I dont know.
Is the simcompressorizor a funktion in simPe?

And since you so unnecessarily informed me the set isnt complete anyway I will have to make a werewolf default as well. I just hope you are right and its the same process.

And maybe maybe I will do what you want, but I read the upload rules and Im not that confident that I would be able to do any of those things. The pictures in particular would pose a huge obstacle.
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 7:20 PM
DXT5 is much more kb heavy than DXT3, try that one, I *think* it still supports transparency.

Your set isn't incomplete, you could just upload a couple versions of vamps together and it would be a perfectly worthwhile upload. Other people just upload one file per, and I think that's a bit of a waste.

As for the guidelines, its really actually not as hard as they make it seem. Just snap a screencap (don't use the ingame camera, its crap) of a vamp sim with a close up on the eyes. Try to make sure that there is enough light in the room to see the face. If you make more than one, take a pic of each. Don't crop your photo, we need it to be at least 600x800.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 7:59 AM Last edited by gulhare : 27th Sep 2011 at 9:22 AM.
I have stumbled onto a problem with the werewolf...it will build just fine in the beginning. But halfway through when I commit the image disappear? And instead of tffacelycan-s2_txtr it simply says [Texture Image]
I tried with the next one as well and the same thing happened. I will now try and download different defaults to see if I can work around this. Wish me luck

edit: With Fantasyrogues defaults it worked. I will test this tonight, to see if I got it right, but right now I have Real Life.
I will also check plantsims (note to self make werewolfs & plantsims) to make sure they dont have eyes replaced. Because there are plenty of default eyes floating around for them as well I noticed on my search for werewolfs. But hopefully you are right and they keep their own eyes.

edit again : reply this time
Of course the set is incomplete. If I have nice eyes downloaded to get rid of the original then I dont want the originals to pop up if my sims have bad luck and turn into a creature! But actually, since I hadnt noticed the eyechange my one werewolf got it probably isnt a big thing. Vampires though! Awful.
retired moderator
#16 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gulhare
Wish me luck
Good luck! I am rooting for you.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 11:45 AM
I have now tested the vampire and werewolf, seems fine. Done a plantsim default (yes they change eyecolour). But am stuck on the bigfoot and genie. I get the same problem as the one I had with the werewolf. Have downloaded about every genie and bigfoot (with maxis skin) I could find, but it just replaces as "texture image" and shows nothing (after I commit).

Any advice? Anyone?
retired moderator
#18 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 2:47 PM
Upload those problem files here, I'll look at them and poke at them.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 12:15 PM Last edited by gulhare : 19th Nov 2011 at 8:20 PM.
Just the genie, what happens with the bigfoot is exactly the same. And I dont understand why. Its not like I have changed the procedure from the others.
I opened up the genie and was "Yes only one image to replace!"
(not like the werewolfs )
And then

Give it the axe, and some torture before.

edit.
Finally, with huge axe and torture help, this is solved. Yay. And so on.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  GenieBigfootProblem_GenieInsideOnly.rar (466.9 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 5:57 AM
Small Default Vampire Textures?
Hello, I've been following this explanation and I'm slightly confused.

When I look at the default vampire textures in SimPE, they're actually rather small and pixelated images, especially the faces (which are what I'm focusing on to just change the eye colour). I downloaded the Vampire Default from here (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=194390) because I don't know where I'm supposed to find them originally. >_<

Is there somewhere I'm supposed to find the default textures to edit that are normal size? Without needing the download from the link? :S