Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#12101 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I dunno. Sounds suspicious. He's probably a mole. XD

I don't know if he is or not, but his house almost recently got burgled, lucky for them nothing was stolen, the police came on time. Talk about simkarma, ha?
Advertisement
Scholar
#12102 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 9:58 PM
This was the first time to me.

I had a man and a woman out on a date. I had them going to a restaurant but just as the food arrived at the table an other woman (standing nearby) stole the plate from "my" female sim. OK, at bars my sims have their drink stolen from time to time but food? I have never seen that before. The sim did not say anything about it though. She just sat there watching her friend eat. The date, however, was a success in the end.
Mad Poster
#12103 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 10:27 PM
I've probably seen this before but it was so long ago I'd forgotten.

I had a sloppy sim who lives alone. He had used the phone but left the handset somewhere else in the house. I directed him to call someone, clicking on the base unit as I didn't realise the phone wasn't on there. So when he went to make the call, he first pressed a button on the phone to locate the receiver and then went to get it!

It was the cheap tabletop phone, I usually use the wall phone, maybe that's why?
Mad Poster
#12104 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 10:49 PM
My Sims at times leave the handset on the floor instead of putting it back on the wall base, so as far as I know its not related to the type of phone.
Lab Assistant
#12105 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
This was the first time to me.

I had a man and a woman out on a date. I had them going to a restaurant but just as the food arrived at the table an other woman (standing nearby) stole the plate from "my" female sim. OK, at bars my sims have their drink stolen from time to time but food? I have never seen that before. The sim did not say anything about it though. She just sat there watching her friend eat. The date, however, was a success in the end.

Little tip: it is possible for your active sim to steal food from other sims in restaurants, if you get the timing right. And they won't have to pay for it.
Mad Poster
#12106 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:45 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 16th Jul 2014 at 9:20 PM. Reason: typo
I discovered that there are actually toys in the toy box.

I always thought it was just a box to keep them in, so I never bought it. All my Sims kids will be getting one now!
Inventor
#12107 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I heard that sometimes they throw up too lol.

They do that if you Play With them instead of Cuddling them. My new half-alien baby just threw up on the Servo who was playing with her. Good thing Servos don't have a Hygiene score for baby puke to damage.

(For the same reason, I also delegate my Servos to skunk removal duty. For lack of a Servo on the lot in question, a Bigfoot or a high-ranking Nature hobbyist will do in a pinch.)

Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Has anyone found what triggers that? It's not always available when he's on the lot, but I haven't been able to find the correlation between it showing up and his actions. I'd guess it has to do with him stealing wallets, but I haven't been able to prove it.

As mentioned in here, you can use any phone on the community lot to Report Foul Play if the Unsavory Charlatan pickpockets any Sim on the lot. If the victim happens to be your own Sim, however, that Sim can instead click on the Charlatan, choose the new "Fisticuffs!" option and fight the Charlatan. If your Sim wins, you get $150 (read: you get your 100 Simoleons back plus 50 more). If the Charlatan wins, he takes even more of your money. As with any other fight, having a high Body skill helps you win.

And a little cash-making method that I discovered not too long ago while playing my teen werewolf, based on three principles:

• Werewolves very rarely lose fights, regardless of Body skill (unless fighting other werewolves, of course).
• The Unsavory Charlatan is a sore loser, and he'll follow your Sim to his/her house and keep showing up there until he finally avenges his honor by winning a fight against said Sim.
• The "Fisticuffs!" option won't go away until the Charlatan wins a fight. Even if your former pickpocketing victim hasn't seen the Charlatan for a month, the moment he shows up again? Fisticuffs. Even if said victim has already beaten up the Charlatan fifty times in a row? Fisticuffs.

So I took my teen werewolf (whose Body skill being a perfect 10 certainly didn't hurt) to the park and did the following:

1) Wait for the Unsavory Charlatan to show up.
2) Hover around the Charlatan until he successfully picks your pocket.
3) Fisticuffs!!!
4) After beating up the Charlatan, go home.
5) The Charlatan's hovering around your mailbox? MOAR Fisticuffs!
6) What happened?
• Did you win? Profit! Enjoy the extra $150 and return to Step 5.
• Did you lose? Well then, unlikely though it was, you need to get your money back, don't you? Go back to your favorite Community Lot and return to Step 1.

My werewolf got a nice chunk of cash for college just by repeatedly beating up the Charlatan. Plus, it's just so darned fun to watch that Snidely Whiplash wannabe get trounced, isn't it? Really. It never gets old. :D
Inventor
#12108 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 7:34 PM
Oh, yeah...I should probably reply to the topic itself, shouldn't I?

I just discovered that ghosts can use a Wishing Well to scare Sims. My ex-townie criminal mastermind (who lives with my mad roboteer, his half-alien daughter, his Servo and all the other robots) used the roboteer's Wishing Well while a ghost was hovering around nearby. She wished for money. The ghost disappeared. The Wishing Well started twinkling and emitting green light and playing cheery music, like it always does when your wish is granted. And then the ghost popped out of the well doing his "Neener neener" gesture and scared her. She didn't get her $1,000, either.

(Fittingly enough, the ghost was one of the roboteer's Cowplant victims. The criminal mastermind was another Cowplant victim, but the roboteer used a genie to resurrect her because he needed a lab assistant around the house. Ghosts can be so bitter about getting passed over for resurrection. )
Mad Poster
#12109 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 8:53 PM
"Fisticuffs" !? I have never heard of this! I have fight-club & beat up the burgler mod, so I'll have to try this!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
#12110 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 9:24 PM
I discovered how different everything looks in Sims 2 once you transfer your terrains into it from SimCity 4. Man, making terrains for me is so complicated I haven't made a nice one yet. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but it's still pretty hard for me. I applaud everyone who has made them, I just suck at it haha.
Inventor
#12111 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 10:08 PM Last edited by Pizzatron-9000 : 16th Jul 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
"Fisticuffs" !? I have never heard of this! I have fight-club & beat up the burgler mod, so I'll have to try this!

I was wondering if anyone out there had made a mod which lets regular Sims fight off burglars. As it stands, I guess the only non-modded defenses against burglars are thus:
• Calling the police (which is the worst option, as the police will rarely show up before the burglar has already grabbed your grand piano and run off with it).
• Burglar alarms
• Car alarms (which have the added benefit of not waking your sleeping Sims)
• Butlers (who will call the police for you. Too bad the butler's not in your house all night.)
• Werewolves (who can fight burglars, and they're always awake at night. I have yet to see a burglar beat a werewolf in a fight. It wouldn't be a good idea to Savage any burglars in your neighborhood, of course.)
• Bigfoots (who will get in the burglar's face, BLARRRRGH!!! and make the burglar wet himself before running off.)
• SentryBots (who, like they do with trash can kickers and newspaper thieves, give the burglars about two seconds to cringe in terror before arcing some serious amperage and frying the hairs off their chests.)

Unfortunately, you won't get any reward money if you stop the burglar with a werewolf, a Bigfoot or a SentryBot, which is a shame. Some "OHMYGOD OHMYGOD I'M SORRY TAKE ALL MY MONEY JUST PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!" pay-offs would be nice. But still, there's the satisfaction of taking care of business without getting the cops involved, frontier style.

I don't think you can stop burglars with vampires, Servos or large dogs, even though any one of those ideas would make sense. I wonder if there are any mods which address that.

(I also wonder if there are any mods which let the Servo say stuff like "Intruder alert!" or "Destroy all humans!" or "Exterminate! Exterminate!" before handing the burglar a robotic beatdown, but that's another request for another time. )

---

Oh, that reminds me: another thing which I discovered last night is that SentryBots know no friends, even when they're not malfunctioning. My mad roboteer's household consists of himself (Dr. Mal Evolence), his half-alien daughter Benne, his resurrected lab assistant, a Servo named You Imbecile! and multiple roverbots and hoverbots to handle the gardening and security and whatnot. One of those hoverbots is a SentryBot named Danger Danger, and it has its own little guard shack right on the walkway over the lake between the lab and the street. So You Imbecile! decided that she was going to walk out to the street and kick over the trash can last night. Even though she lives there, the SentryBot was on her in a flash. One hearty ZZZAP!!! later, You Imbecile! had her eye in her hands weeping robot tears...somehow.

New Thingie Learned #2: Sims who don't live there run off the lot if they get zapped by a SentryBot, even if they're invited guests who are just minding their own business (as I discovered when Danger Danger malfunctioned and zapped an innocent little girl who came home from school with Benne). Sims who do live there just get depressed, cry and make me feel contrarily bad about having a SentryBot around the house.
Mad Poster
#12112 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 10:41 PM
Pizzatron, there is an "anyone fights burglars" mod. If the police also arrive, there's a second fight which the police may or may not win; but if the homeowner wins the first fight, she still gets her stuff back.

For future reference, double-posting is frowned upon. Editing your original post (see lower right-hand corner of post) is encouraged. Read the site rules for more helpful hints, and welcome aboard.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#12113 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 10:51 PM
My bad, and thank you.

So wait...this mod gives you two chances to beat the burglar and get your stuff back? Maybe I'm just a bit of a purist, but that seems unsporting somehow.

(So clearly the best solution for burglary is to infect everyone in your neighborhood with lycanthropy! Except for the burglars, of course, and they'd probably be scared out of their minds every time they go outside. NOTE: Attempting to Savage Mrs. Crumplebottom is not recommended.)
Mad Poster
#12114 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 11:00 PM
Only if the police arrive before the burglar leaves. And I don't think that's any more unsporting than the burglar coming along and sucking your hard-earned date rewards into a Bag of Holding! Just this past week, I had a single mom in an apartment get her flat-screen TV burgled, and I'd forgotten to get her a burglar alarm because burglaries are so rare in apartments. And the phone was right next to the door, so she'd have had to pass the burglar to phone them, leaving the villain between her and her kid's bedroom. No way! So Candy jumped the burglar and beat her up, retaining the flat-screen and scaring the burglar off. It was very satisfying. Candy then went into her kid's room, where he continued sleeping, and stood there shaking the adrenaline off.

On another occasion, the wife called the police while the husband attacked the burglar and got the stuff back. As soon as she finished calling the police, she turned around and started sizzling at him, and after he got the stuff back they completely ignored the fight with the cop to flirt with each other. I've also had Captain Hero despatch the burglar, only to have the beat cop he was turned over to let him escape. It's a very satisfying mod.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#12115 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 11:06 PM
It never did make sense to me that Sims in the Law Enforcement career track couldn't do anything about a burglar in their house. I can imagine Gordon King, Russ Bear and Jessica Ebadi chatting about that at their favorite back-alley watering hole afterwards. "No way, Jessica! You're lying through your teeth!" "No lie! I broke into Captain Hero's house and walked out with his pool table, and he was still on the phone when I left!" "Nice score, Jess. So I guess you're buying the next round of grape nectar, huh?" :D

For that matter, Sims in the Criminal career track shouldn't be powerless against burglars either. "Oh. Uhhh...hi. So you're Doctor Bloody Killdiedie, the notorious Criminal Mastermind. I'm a big fan of your international crime cartel's work...." "Get. Out." "Right away, sir!" *hurries off*

I dunno about the mod, though. I guess I'm afraid of putting all the werewolves, Bigfoots and SentryBots out of a job. Think of the poor SentryBots.
Lab Assistant
#12116 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 11:38 AM
I found out that a sim can go to the fridge autonomously and "stuff face". She was pregnant and I guess she was kinda hungry.
Instructor
#12117 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmer4Life1996
I found out that a sim can go to the fridge autonomously and "stuff face". She was pregnant and I guess she was kinda hungry.

My Sims do that all the time. It's kind of annoying when they block the fridge that way.
Inventor
#12118 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vss2eip
My Sims do that all the time. It's kind of annoying when they block the fridge that way.

...and deplete the food supplies, especially when there's a perfectly good plate of sparkly stuffed rainbow trout among the leftovers.
Lab Assistant
#12119 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 8:26 PM
I discovered that a sim can walk "quiet" when another sim is sleeping. Lakishimi Holk was very considerate towards her husband Kjell when he was asleep after a hard days work at the toystore. And she was in the last stage of pregnancy, so not walking "pregnant-style" was impressive.
Field Researcher
#12120 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 8:31 PM
I discovered that it takes a minute to load TS2 with all EPs and SPs. I spent probably three hours trying to fix the game before I realised that.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Scholar
#12121 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 12:53 AM
That it's a REALLY GOOD THING that I keep such obsessive back-ups.

On that note, I swear that the downtown I had been sent to test has gremlins. IT ATE STRANGETOWN. (Though it was my own fault for doing such silly things with the file.)

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Theorist
#12122 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 3:02 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I just noticed for the first time, that the door of the grocery freezer gets a sort condensation build up when it's been opened then closed.

It's like the first time I noticed that the mattress sinks in a bit, when a Sim gets into/out of bed. These little touches are very realistic and rather cool.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Inventor
#12123 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:33 PM Last edited by Pizzatron-9000 : 20th Jul 2014 at 8:48 PM.
More of today's learny stuff:

• You know those Bags o' Simoleons that fall out of the sky after you use a genie or a wishing well and wish for money? You can switch to Buy Mode or Inventory Mode, grab them with the hand, move them around and stick them in your inventory, just like with most any other object! You know...so if any of your Sims have "treasure rooms" full of treasure chests, statues and whatever other neat, expensive stuff they buy, win, dig up or randomly find, you can stick a few moneybags in there too. I'm not sure if those money bags raise Environment score or anything like that, but it could be nice to have around, just for looks (or perhaps as "rainy day" cash). A Bag o' Simoleons would make one heck of a gift too, wouldn't it?

• A Film and Literature hobbyist who reads a stock novel off the shelf while In the Zone will hear music related to the novel in hand! Romance novels make romantic music, mystery novels make eerie music (including that tune from the Cat Lady movie), drama novels make suspenseful music, children novels make tinkly bell-and-xylophone music and sci-fi novels...well, they make a bunch of beeps, whirrrrrs, clicks, boop-boops and other spaceship noises instead of music. Cooking books are the exception; they don't make any music (or spaceship noise, or noise in general) and they raise Cuisine enthusiasm instead of Film and Lit enthusiasm. So keep those books in mind in case your more Serious Cuisine enthusiasts get bored.

You only get to hear the music if you have that Sim selected, of course. And to think that all this time, I've had Gothika reading her own music-less novels for Fun. That might have to change.
Scholar
#12124 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:33 PM
Okay, so even though I've been playing the franchise since Sims 1, there's a lot of things I didn't know about because I just tend to play 'my way' and not branch out much. So I didn't know about the Luminous Antique Camera until I went searching for TS2 screenshot tutorials.

http://modthesims.info/t/431044

Going to play with it today.
Mad Poster
#12125 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:41 PM
Ctrl+F when placing floortiles places a half-tile.

...I've been playing Sims for at least an hour a day since the game first came out.. and I never once knew that.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Lots of replies! Go post in v2!
Page 485 of 619