Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 5:57 AM
Default Blender and Meshing
I really would like to try meshing for TS3, but I'd rather use a free program like Blender just in case I give up because I usually do. I know that TS3 just came out and everyone's just learning about custom content, but does anyone by any chance know if Blender recognizes Sims 3 files? Or would it need a plugin?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 10:52 AM
Currently, the only plugin I know of is for Milkshape, but we don't yet know all the internals to make meshes truly custom, and the editing's a bit limited at the moment. Give it some time.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#3 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:53 PM
What about the new clothing on our forum done with old meshes from sims2---are they working in the game and can we use some of those meshes?
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:10 PM
Err, nothing from TS2 works in TS3.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Alchemist
#5 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:30 PM
The data format is different, the skeleton is different, the default pose is different and the meshes in TS3 are more detailed. Just fix those details and you can use your TS2 meshes.
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:35 PM
Yes, just those tiny, minor details...

Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 11:55 PM
lol, those minor details. I don't know meshing!!! ugh!!
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 11:58 PM
(For anyone who didn't catch it the first time around, those being "minor details" is sarcasm, and that much stuff to change, you may as well just start over.)

Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 8:33 PM
There was a python script for importing and exporting sims 2 meshes to/from blender, worked like a charm for me.

Anybody in the know like to make a guess as to how much would be involved in altering that to work with sims 3 meshes?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 9:41 PM
The Scripts i made simply added the ability to import and export the SMD's SimPE exported and imported, once the ability to import and export meshes from the game is available i will definitely try to make another script to allow blender to import and export whatever format it ends up being.
Test Subject
#11 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 3:56 AM
I agree. I'd love to use blender for meshing. Blender is a fun program and after reading so many tutorials on meshing I was sad to find out that all my blender knowledge was basically useless. I'll just have to wait.