Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 1:26 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Installing doesn't work!!!
Since I've got my laptop back, I decided to reinstall The Sims 2, I put the disc in, but nothing happens, I put the disc in again and nothing happens again, but the "do you want to install this application" message doesn't come up! Same with The Sims 3 discs Please help me!!!

Sims 2 Rocks! :D
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by oachi06
Since I've got my laptop back, I decided to reinstall The Sims 2, I put the disc in, but nothing happens, I put the disc in again and nothing happens again, but the "do you want to install this application" message doesn't come up! Same with The Sims 3 discs Please help me!!!

Does it also happens with other games or dvd s?
What was wrong with your laptop in the first place before you got it back (I assume from the repair shop?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 2:02 PM
What kind of DVD/CD/BR drive do you have? I've got a BR drive, and I've had similar problems with mine - it does run TS2 fine, but I've had troubles with a couple of TS3 discs and one of the TS4 discs. DVDs and CDs are a bit touch and go - it runs some older DVDs and CDs, but almost none of the newer, and burning DVDs/CDs is the same - some work, some don't. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the drive, the newer DRMs/copy protection, or with Windows7 itself, but I'd sure like to know. The drive makes a large array of sounds when I put discs into it, and I can usually hear when it's not reading the disc properly (either makes a 'choppy' sound, or I hear it starting up before the sound just goes away again, or it sounds like it tries to start the disc multiple times, without anything happening). My other computer has no such problems.

Occasionally, it's just a slow reaction from the laptop, and the disc will start if you're just a bit patient.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 3:20 PM
I kinda gave the same problem with dvd and usb of my old laptop but that's just the age of the laptop.
Maybe it helps with updating the drivers of the dvd drive?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 5:07 PM
It's probably just the autoplay feature got set to off. Navigate onto the disk with Windows explorer. Find either the autoplay exe or the game exe and double-click. Or, alternatively, switch the autoplay feature back on in Control Panel.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
It's probably just the autoplay feature got set to off. Navigate onto the disk with Windows explorer. Find either the autoplay exe or the game exe and double-click. Or, alternatively, switch the autoplay feature back on in Control Panel.

I know I've had to do this. When installing, I need to find the exe file and click on that. I know I didn't do anything weird with the autoplay feature, unless ... gremlins. And I have a PC.

The game installs just fine that way. It's just an extra step.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I know I've had to do this. When installing, I need to find the exe file and click on that. I know I didn't do anything weird with the autoplay feature, unless ... gremlins. And I have a PC.

The game installs just fine that way. It's just an extra step.

Sometimes the feature turns itself off in my experience but it also sounds very like something the techs might do having taken it into the shop to work on.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Aug 2016 at 3:00 AM
On my laptop it's sometimes as if the drive can't read the disc, so I can't even get to the exe file. I halfway succeeded in playing a DVD a few weeks ago, using VLC because nothing else would work, but about halfway into the movie the drive stopped recognizing the disc for some reason. Now, even the DVD player spits out the DVD (I sincerely hope the DVD wasn't ruined, because it was entirely new). It's got to be something in the system, because I've had these problems almost since I got the laptop. It's either settings, Win7 or the drive itself (maybe BR drives just don't like a wide array of discs?)

I managed to install the first TS4 disc, but the second didn't want to run, so I had to do a bit of trickery on Origin (via 'fix game'), so I did get it to run eventually - but I'm stuck with Origin for startup. This might work for TS3, too - but I haven't tried. It's explained here. It's possible that redeeming the game codes will let you install the game via Origin.

If you can't get the TS2 discs to work, you might be able to get the UC from Origin (if you don't mind Origin too much). If you own the original game, you'll probably be able to get a code without too much trouble.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Aug 2016 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
What kind of DVD/CD/BR drive do you have? I've got a BR drive, and I've had similar problems with mine - it does run TS2 fine, but I've had troubles with a couple of TS3 discs and one of the TS4 discs. DVDs and CDs are a bit touch and go - it runs some older DVDs and CDs, but almost none of the newer, and burning DVDs/CDs is the same - some work, some don't. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the drive, the newer DRMs/copy protection, or with Windows7 itself, but I'd sure like to know. The drive makes a large array of sounds when I put discs into it, and I can usually hear when it's not reading the disc properly (either makes a 'choppy' sound, or I hear it starting up before the sound just goes away again, or it sounds like it tries to start the disc multiple times, without anything happening). My other computer has no such problems.

Occasionally, it's just a slow reaction from the laptop, and the disc will start if you're just a bit patient.

I've got an ASUS laptop that runs Windows 8.1, I have the base game and all EPs and SPs, including Sims 3 EPS and SPs, except Sims 4 EPs, GPs and SPs. Because Directx is a little slow-ish or something.

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 5th Aug 2016 at 6:18 AM
Did you check Windows explorer? Can you see the disk there? If not update the dvddrive drivers and try again.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Aug 2016 at 9:03 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Aug 2016 at 10:59 PM.
I have an Asus laptop as well. Maybe it's a fault with their disc drives, or the drivers for it.

I've now tried updating the drivers, but the newest ones seem to be from 2006(!) so I guess that's a bummer...
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 5th Aug 2016 at 9:42 PM
My Vista laptop has the problem too and is an HP Compaq. But it's 7 years old.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
Did you check Windows explorer? Can you see the disk there? If not update the dvddrive drivers and try again.

Well, I did.

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 7:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by oachi06
Well, I did.

You checked WE, could you see the drive? Did you update the driver?
We can't help you if you don't say anything.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Aug 2016 at 12:22 AM
I've just checked the drive.

Scholar
#16 Old 27th Aug 2016 at 10:36 AM
On my old computer, I had to have an external drive for my disc games because there was something up with the built-in one.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Aug 2016 at 6:42 AM
Have you tried to clean the disk? Sometimes a little dust on it makes it unreadable as well.